Merrill Gardens at Tacoma - Tacoma, WA

My mom is bored out of her gourd

Everyone at this facility has been very nice thus far. My Mother is so much happier here. The facility has lovely accommodations and they even allow her to have her dog. However, she has complained about a few things she doesn’t like. She says that they need a lot more busy activities and she is bored out of her gourd. I’ve heard her say that most of the time the residents just play bingo and watch TV which isn’t much fun. My mom is blind and there have been a few instances where she has tried to get the attention of the wait staff in the dining room and they didn’t pay attention so she didn’t get served for that meal. The other thing is that she is living on the 3rd floor. She does have her dog with her and it’s really hard for her to get down the hall, on the elevator and outside with her dog. My mom is currently waiting for a room on the 1st floor. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Amanda Warren

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your mom’s experiences with us. It is wonderful that she is so much happier here. We would also love the opportunity to meet with you and your mom regarding our Active Living Program. We are very proud of our robust offerings and we want to make sure your mom knows about all the wonderful opportunities that are available for her.

Lovey, I toured a very nice two bedroom cottage with a garage. Very welcomming

A very nice place!

When I toured the Merrill Gardens at Tacoma, I noticed that the place was very nice and so were the people. When I got there for my tour, the tour guide was on time and had a lot of information for me. The place was a good choice, but we picked another community that we thought would for my mother's needs better.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing this positive review for Merrill Gardens. We are happy to hear that our team was informative. We are glad that you found a place for your mother. Please let us know if you should need anything in the future.

My Visit To The Community!

This community has a separate building for memory care. I just did not get the feeling this would work for us. The person that conducted the tour was nice and accommodating. The community seemed clean during our tour.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate your feedback regarding your visit to Merrill Gardens. We would be happy to help address any further questions you might have about our memory care community. Please let us know how we can help.

Small but good

We had a good tour here. The community is small. The staff was nice and friendly and was able to answer all of our questions on the care here. We would recommend this community if wanting something older with good care.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing this positive review. Please let us know if we can assist as you search for senior living options.

Major disappointment

My parent lived at the Merrill Gardens memory care house for over a year. She started going downhill, and was sent to the hospital where she remained until another placement was finally found. I did not appreciate the way the incident was handled. It was disrespectful and the administration was not helpful at all. My parent was overlooked in many incidents; Merrill Gardens claims to help find appropriate new placements for folks who can't live there anymore. But excuses of staff shortages, and other excuses were not acceptable. I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

Amanda Warren

We want to thank you for writing this review to bring your concerns to our attention. We take this feedback very seriously. Please contact us directly if you are willing to share more information with us.

Best place!

My mother loves her apartment in this retirement/assisted living community. The nurses, dining staff, activities are wonderful. She knew from the moment she walked in this is where she wanted to be,

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for the great review, Karen! We are thrilled that your mother is loving it here. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Things are working out pretty good.

Things are working out pretty good. The staff is good, and it's a nice place. So far I don't have any complaints or concerns, everything is good.

My friends are happy there

I eat here twice a month and the food is good. It's like a restaurant with a salad bar with a menu, and you can order whatever you want, they have lots of choices. They have breakfast, and they serve lunch and dinner from 11-7, so you can eat when you want. We go and play cards with the card club, and they give us a room. I just wouldn't want to live there. A lot of the people need a lot of assistance, and it's a lot like a hospital, they only have on gathering room, and it's where they have their entertainment. There are a lot of people slumped over sleeping. They don't have an outdoor garden or area. They have very little parking. It's on a busy street so there isn't somewhere to go for a nice view. My friends are happy there, but it's just not where I would want to be.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We are happy you enjoy our dining services, although are disappointed to hear we would not be your choice for a place to live. Please come back and visit soon and don't hesitate to reach out directly if you'd ever like to discuss thing further.

A Year at Merrill Gardens

My mother has been a resident of Merrill Gardens since last September. The staff has been friendly, courteous and compassionate in their care of her. always willing to include her in all activities while honoring her need for privacy and time for reflection since my dad passed away. I am very happy with Merrill gardens and plan to encourage her to stay there as her needs increase.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for the positive review. We're happy to provide your mother with the environment she needs and hope we can continue providing exceptional service to her for many years to come.

Merrill Gardens Tacoma is perfect for our Mom

My mom moved into Merrill Gardens Tacoma last February and it has been wonderful for her. She loves the food and always says how nice everyone is. My sister and I have found nothing but helpfulness and friendliness from the staff. The facility itself is clean and cheerful. We looked at many places and this was the perfect place for her. She's been taking part in the activities they offer and the concierge has really helped her out many times with driving her to places she needs to get to during the week. Maybe it seems expensive because so much is bundled into the cost -- cable, cleaning, activities, meals -- but when you add up the perks you get, the safety and care and the excellent food choices with continuous service, it is well worth the cost. Our family is extremely grateful to the staff and especially to Linda who patiently helped us move mom in.

Amanda Warren

We are so happy to see this review. We strive to offer the best and are glad to provide this environment for your mom. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Nice visit with Linda Lee a...

Nice visit with Linda Lee and had lunch. Found monthly rent high and 2 units we viewed were right on 19th and noisy. Level of activity was not what we were looking for. Linda Lee was very helpful with questions. Food was adequate and choices available. No pool but YMCA close by.

Amanda Warren

Thank you very much for leaving us this review. We're happy that you found the team helpful, but are disappointed that the rest of the community wasn't to your standards. If you're willing, please call us directly so that we may work with you to turn this into a more positive experience.

Good community, but the administrative communication, needs to be improved.

The food is actually pretty good, I have had mostly trouble with communication with the administrative staff. When we got there no one had told the nurse or the administrator we were coming and the call button wasn't programmed, even though we were there earlier that day giving them thousands of dollars. This seems to be a continuous pattern. The nursing staff and the help seems great, it's just the administrative staff's communication. When choosing between our top two it turns out that they had the nicer facility, and the better price which is why we chose them.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to write us this review and bring the communication issue to our attention. We aim to provide a seamless and excellent place to live, so it's disappointing to hear you experienced otherwise. If you are willing, please call us so we may speak directly and help turn this experience around.

Tour of independent living cottages

We toured one of the cottages on a Sunday. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, taking time to answer all of our questions and making us feel accepted and welcome. The cottage was lovely and a place we would enjoy living in for years to come. We would feel safe and secure in this gated community. We also like the various options for meals, such as the meal tickets that we could use whenever we wish. The location is a plus. The landscaping was exceptionally nice and we will enjoy having this maintained for us. All in all we were very favorably impressed and would enjoy living in this community.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for leaving us this review. We really appreciate the opportunity to have shown you around. We work hard to provide a positive environment for residents and team members, and we hope you'll consider living with us in the near future!

Nice new construction, but ...

Nice new construction, but rooms were very small. I was there on a Sunday, so it was pretty quiet, and not a lot of staff. New construction. I didn't like that only a certain amount of meals per month were provided; I felt that the add-ons could get pricey. It was clean, and would have been a great back-up.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us this review. While we wish your visit had been more positive, we thank you for bringing the issues with the pricing and room sizes to our attention. We strive to provide a great place to live, and would like the chance to talk to you directly and discuss how to improve. If you'd like to discuss this with us directly, we're more than willing to talk -- just give us a call!

If income is 2500 or less t...

If income is 2500 or less they offer reduced rates of Studio 1695 1Bdr 2400+ I've beeen there and would like that area. Spoke with Linda [Removed]

Pleased overall

We're pleased overall with how things are going here. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and they do a good job keeping everyone cared for and entertained. The staff are all friendly and professional. In terms of the food I'd give them a 4 out 5, it generally pretty good, but it has room for improvement.

Amanda Warren

Thanks for the response! We're happy you found the majority of our services to your satisfaction. We take our reviews seriously and are glad you brought your issues with the food to our attention -- it's our goal to make sure everything here is perfect. If you have any more comments feel free to contact us.

Gorgeous Place but Unfriendly Tour Guide

I was not impressed at all. We did not have the head marketing person give us the tour. We had the second in command and I just got the feeling she didn't even want us there. I was not pleased with that. We got in and got out. Aesthetically, it's lovely and their memory care was a house that you and I would want to live in. You didn't see the people but just the whole space and it was gorgeous. I'm an interior designer too and I thought this is gorgeous. I'm sure it's puts the relatives of the residents at ease. I think makes them feel very good.

Liked Everything

I like the facility there. I liked everything about it. We were put on a waiting list but it never happened and it got to a point where we needed to expedite finding a place for my mother.

Very responsive and helpful...

Very responsive and helpful. They have Memory Care

The Director was helpful with informa...

The Director was helpful with information but didn't seem like she was really "selling" the place. Everything was spacious and the layout was simple. All common areas on one floor. No confusing floor plans and hallways. The rooms were very spacious, stacker w/d in 1brm units. Transportaion is provided to residents for Sunday services. Meds can be set up by us and mom take them on her own. Walk in showers in 1 bdrm; glass doors on studio shower. 4brnr stoves in studio and bdrm.levels of care in 30 pt increments;heat is run by heat pump;meals served all day between 7am/7pm; concierge can run mom somewhere for min cost; there is a button to push every AM for residents to "check in"

nice units. long hall ways not for me.

nice units. long hall ways not for me.

Looks good

Looks good

Merrill Gardens at Tacoma provides 120 apartments with a combination of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments. Merrill Gardens at Tacoma opens March 1, 2008 and will offer all of the amenities of a home without the hard work.