Oyster Creek Manor - Missouri City, TX

We arrived 10 minutes prior to our appointment. No one was at the front desk, so we signed in and sat down. Staff walked past us, but did not inquire as to the nature of our visit. The appointment time came, so I had to ask a dining room server for assistance. The first sever(female), told me that she didn't know if [Removed] would be in today, despite the fact that I told her I had an appointment for today. She shrugged her shoulder and stated that she didn't know. Another server(male), overheard the conversation and reassured me that he would call [Removed]. He was able to reach her, she was running late. The tour: General population area was decorated beautifully, with plenty of lighting. The dining room had tablecloths, with folded napkins, and silverware. The inner courtyard was beautifully landscaped, with an occasional project in progress. The outside seating had cushions, Umbrella over the Table...like someone's nice backyard. The memory care side reeked of disinfectant. The dining area was small with a few plain tables(no tablecloth, no folded napkins). Almost cafeteria-like. Their courtyard had high black bars visible(couldn't they strategically place greenery so as not to make it so prison-like?). My Mother-in-law loves to garden, but they had 2 window boxes with nothing in it. Outside seating did not have any cushions...looked cheap in relation to the general population. I mentioned this to [Removed], so she proceeded to give me a spiel about safety & comfort. I had to remind her that I was a Nurse, so safety does not mean a bland uninviting environment. She then said that she would mention it to the owners. The bed in the room that she decided to show me was not of the same caliber as the beds on the general population side. My Mother-In-Law is aware, performs her own ADLs, cooks, makes her bed, works in her garden, sews, etc with standby assist. She needs blood sugar check/med reminder, diet control, and monitoring so as not to leave the facility. The people that my husband and I saw in the memory care area did not appear oriented to much....this is a big no for us.

A great commuity

They offer some activities including bingo and trips out. The food is good and we have eaten there numerous times. The staff are helpful, encouraging and wonderful. The community is newer and very clean. My parents have started making friends and they seem to really like living here. This community is located close to family and I would recommend it.

Good care for dad!

The staff at Oyster Creek are taking good care of my father and keeping him safe. They have a young girl as the activities director and she is very good. She has different things for the residents to do each day. It has been a good experience so far.

Clean Facility!!

I thought this community was very clean and was well taken care of by the staff. The lady who had gave my mother and I a tour of there facility was very friendly but was not very knowledgeable about there community and everything they had to offer. I guess the guy who normally does the tours was not there so it was not her fault.

Run for life!!!

Be WARE! I wouldnt bring my dog there. If I could give a negative star I would. This place was a nightmare for my mother. She suffered [Removed] there. I would find random bruises on her body. The workers were no longer friendly after i paid my mom's money and moved my mom in. They would not help her eat. She had a hard time coordinating the food to her mouth. They were always short staffed.. My mom's pamper would always be so wet and she would always smell of urine and feces even when they tell me they had given her a shower. They must have also given her a different type of medication to keep her in a daze. She was so different after just two months. Now suddenly she needs a wheelchair and she walked fine before coming here. Her clothes and shoes started missing. She no longer talked. There were no activities and no field trips. I don't know what they were doing to my mom after hours when the lights were off. I know she was different and seemed so depressed. After two months of bringing my complaints to management, who by the way knows nothing, the same things kept happening. After they took my moms hard earned money, they showed me how they could care less about her wellbeing. She's back at home with me and walking around just fine and she's no longer in a daze. So if you can avoid this place, please do. They sell you a lie! They are lazy and [Removed]

Needs Updating!!

During my tour of the Oyster Creek, I liked it in general, their assisted living area was beautiful. But then, walking into the memory care unit, it was a different story. It did not even seem like the same building. The place was not updated. The floors were laminate, and it all looked like an adult day care. That is the reason I did is not chose this place.

Care for my wife

I am happy with the care that my wife has now. The staff is very nice and always willing to help. They offer my wife alot of activities and she has made friends here. I know that the food is good and she seems to be happy with everything. This has been a great value for the excellent care that I know she is getting great care. Families should consider this community for good care and a great value.

Smooth Sailing So Far

Opinion based upon 6 weeks of observations/experiences with Oyster Creek staff and facilities. Overall, day to day staff interfaces have been very cordial. The facility is well maintained as has been our individual room. The food is good and meals are conveniently made available to meet different needs. Recreational activities are well supervised and appear to be well attended. The overall facility design is excellent and visually appealing with respect to common area furnishings, lighting and outdoor seating options. I have had to "remind" management on several occasions of staff personal service oversights, but these lapses were corrected and have not been ongoing. Residents are cordial to each other and reached out to us upon our arrival to engage with us.

Not Involved

The executive director is not involved. I think the facility is beautiful. The people aren't that friendly however, there was a guy there that was really good but, he is not there anymore. I will base weather or not I keep my mom here on my observations going forward.

I moved my mother to Oyster Creek about a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. The peace of mind I now have with her not living in her home alone is priceless to me. I can trust she is being looked after, eating right and now having the opportunity to be around other people to socialize again. I was afraid that she wasn't going to like it, and be very unhappy; as she was initially very resistant to the move. Seeing how much more vibrant her life is now, and the fact that she tells me how glad she is that she did make the move, truly makes me feel blessed I found this wonderful community.

mother seems to like it

The staff at Oyster Creek is very friendly.

I am a little annoyed with them right now for a couple of things though. They have lost some of my mothers clothes, and some others have been messed up in the laundry.

My mother does not have a problem herself with the food, but I think that the chef needs to soften the food.

So there are a few little things that are annoying me at the moment, but overall my mother seems to like it. It is a beautiful place and I really like it.

very warm and friendly

Our experience with Oyster Creek has been very good. Everyone there is very warm and friendly. My mother is very happy there.

If there were anything that could improve it would be that they could have a little more proactive communication with family to keep us updated on how things are going.

Other than that I really can't think of anything they can do better as they are really doing great!

Great for parent, peace of mind for the family

My father really likes it there. Facility is only about a year and half old. This is an assisted living facility but not a skilled nursing place. He gets around ok so it works out fine. The staff seems to really care about everyone there and are super friendly. They make sure that he comes down for every meal and if not, they go and check on him.

It was fairly comparable in price with others in the area, but they don't charge extra to do his laundry and some things that other places would charge more for. I also found out that there is a non-refundable community fee just to get in. I found $2500. and also $2250. on some, but this facility was $1500. That being said they gave a break to my father because he is a veteran :-) only $750.

My father unfortunately has cancer and is no longer being treated, so one thing that I also found out along the way is that you can get hospice set up ahead of time and they can take over the medical aspect (upon insurance approval). The facility and the hospice service/facility work together to make sure his health is monitored. When he lost balance and hit his head they let me know and between the two they took care of everything. Less stress on me and it wasn't me with him at the ER for once!

Very nice place!

Oyster Creek is a fantastic place! Everyone is so friendly, and they are so accommodating. Anyone you speak to is happy to help with anything you ask, the whole place just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. The facility itself is beautiful, well kept, and clean. My loved one is doing great here, I would highly recommend them!