Olympic Alzheimer's Residence - Gig Harbor, WA

Olympic is great

As the responsible party for father I couldn't be more satisfied with this facility. My father has been at Olympic for almost a year. I have watched his over all health improve through their attention. The staff is passionate, collaborative and very welcoming of our extended families involvement in my dad's care.
We looked at other facilities and even though this is a drive for us it defiantly was the best.

Western State

My mom has been abused and neglected here. She has bitten off her teeth. I have called 911 because she was slumped over at her table. They will not get help for their clients because they do not want to get caught with the injuries they have inflicted on their clients. I have witnessed injuries to the head. Black eyes. Bruising on arms. I have dropped off supplies to alleviate the problem and they never used them. They caused my mom severe tooth decay and she eats paper towels. The staff and owners let them starve. They just want the beds filled. I hope my mom is relocated to a safe and caring facility.

Anywhere but there

I came to volunteer since my recently passed loved was recently a resident there and was appalled by the lack of caring the staff gives. The smell of pee and other bodily functions (to put it nicely) is so overwhelming you can't help but feel for these poor people. Please from the bottom of my heart do not put your loved ones here!

Horrible Place

Not sure what is more concerning. That Olympic is always understaffed, the building smells like month old pee or that they leave their residents wet. I wouldn't put anyone I loved here again. Horrible place and the management staff is one of the worst I've ever worked with.

Smelly place

Does anyone clean around here? Place smells of urine and residents appear to be dirty, unchanged and unkept. Did a tour. Would never have anyone I love live here.

Beware - don't take your loved one here

Don't take your loved one here! Staff is very undertrained. Management is worse. We specially asked for our Dad to not have life sustaining treatment. Untrained staff allowed emergency services to do CPR. HORRIBLE place.

ok..

My mother in law was not there at Olympic Alzheimer's Residence very long before they had to transfer her out. She was only there for about ten days. During that time the experience was ok. Not great, but not bad. Some of their care services could improve. Also, some of the staff can be a little more forthright and helpful.

I'm so grateful for this place! They take such good, respectful, personal care of the residents. Dad is happy as well as safe, and I never have to worry about his care.

Don't take a loved one here!

At Olympic Alzheimer's Residence, your loved one will be viewed by the management as nothing more than a commodity. We had to move my mother-in-law out after she had only been there one month. They will lie to get your money and then over medicate your loved one so they won't have to be bothered with them. The workers there really care but the management does not and the workers fear for their jobs so they are afraid to speak up. The workers did let us know that the only reason the director is there is because the owners like her "numbers".... and that is all your loved one will become if you take them there.

Bad experience and bad reputation

July 2013
Our mother was living in an Independent Living facility when it became obvious that she needed to be moved to a memory care unit when she got into a strangers car and told them that she "needed to go to the bank." We called Olympic Alzheimers Residence (OAR) in Gig Harbor, WA and they sent Kathy Wells to evaluate our mother for placement at OAR. We were assured that they could deal with what they called "exit seeking behaviors" and that she would be safe and secure. We were told that it would take 4-6 weeks for our Mom to adjust to the move and new environment. We could finally go home and take a deep breath and rest in the knowledge that we had done the right thing for our mother. Now, 3 weeks later, our mother is being evicted for "exit seeking behaviors." She is able to open the UNLOCKED gates and walk out. The director, Diana Foster, initially told us that it was a fire code that the gates [at an Alzheimer's facility] could not be locked. After informing Diana that we spoke to the Fire Marshal who happened to be at OAR doing an inspection, and were told that there are several options for securing the gates, she changed her stance to “it's an old building, and would be costly to put those new locks on."
Now, our mother has to go through the trauma of an additional move in quick succession, which those with any knowledge of dementia knows will be a setback for her. In order to keep our mother from walking out the unsecured gates while we find a new place for her, OAR has given her sedation to the point that she fell, hit her head, and had to have the paramedics called. This all could have been avoided with a SECURE environment as we were promised.
Though having the word "Alzheimers" in the name Olympic Alzheimers Residence would evoke confidence of a level of expertise on the subject, this does not seem to be the case with OAR. In our experience with OAR, if your loved one is in the late stages of their disease, or you are comfortable with them being 'chemically restrained' then OAR might be an option for you. If however your loved one is in the beginning stages or even in the middle stages of dementia this is NOT the place to be. In my opinion, the director, Diana, seems to have no working knowledge or perhaps tolerance for those suffering with Alzheimer’s/dementia.
I went to the main website for Prestige Senior Living, the corporation that owns OAR and sent an email requesting to speak to an owner. That was 4 days ago and I heard nothing back. Today I called their 1-800 number and spoke to a receptionist who put me through to a voice mail in their complaint department which I was told was monitored by their legal department. I will venture a guess that mine is not the first complaint.

Viewed the facility. I like...

Viewed the facility. I like it, but I don't like that mom would have to share a room with someone else. But we have to deal with the money that we have. If mom had made better decisions with her money then we wouldn't be in this predicament now.

Olympic Alzheimer’s Residence was completed in 1994 and is a community designed to care for those suffering from memory loss, Alzheimer’s Disease, and related dementias. Residents feel safe and comfortable – nestled in a structure styled after a mountain lodge, with stone fireplaces and broad porches. The building offers three neighborhoods of care and each serves a “family of 20 residents.” Trained personal care assistants, who are attuned to the needs of the neighborhood, care for the residents in a homelike atmosphere. Olympic Alzheimer’s Residence is well located between Tacoma and Gig Harbor, just one mile from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Yet, the community affords amenities not available in an urban or inner-city setting. The grounds feature enclosed courtyards, gardens, exercise yards, and an extensive network of wandering paths in a safe, protected environment. The quiet surroundings promote a strong feeling of serenity.