Oakleaf Village of Columbus - Columbus, OH

For as much as they charge per month, they really need to freshen up the place. Dark dingy halls, scuffed woodwork, frayed carpet and the apartments don’t have much sunlight.

Oak Leaf is wonderfully settled midst trees and flowers. They have a "back yard" which is extraordinary. The staff was friendly and seemed more than willing to work with me to have the living quarters to be just what I needed and were amenable to making change to meet my desires. I deeply appreciated their flexibility.

A great place to be!

Oakleaf village is a great place! The staff is very nice and my mother is receiving the appropriate level of care. There are plenty activities and many entertainment options available.

Very Happy

Oakleaf Village is a very warm, inviting environment. The residents appear very happy and the staff is very friendly.
Many activities for residents to choose. I'm very happy with the choice we made for Independent Living at Oakleaf Village.

The Staff Are Wonderful

My mom is doing pretty well here and she is still getting settled in. The staff are really nice and great. They are motivating my mom to become more active. I like they are supportive of her during this time. The residents seem really happy and I have seen them gathered together talking to each other. They have activities and they invite my mom every other day. I would recommend this community and they accept Medicaid.

Getting to know the community!

The food here tends to be good. The staff is great, but at times you get a aide that has an attitude. They also offer transportation to the store if you need to go. I like that they have scenic tours to go out on.

Outstanding Staff

Everything is working out very well for my mother here, I'am satisfied with everything they have done for us. The community looks nice and pretty well maintained. The staff is amazing, they are doing a great job caring for my mother. There many activities, and she is participating in many. The food is wonderful, she enjoys the meals. I know she safe and being cared for well.

A Fine Community

Everything is going very well for mother at this community. They have been very accommodating to us, and I'am very pleased. The community is well-kept, I haven't had and concerns with that. The staff is good, they have been helpful and kind. There are activities offered for the residents. The food is fine, they serve well balanced meals. I do think this is a fine community. They are caring for her and needs very well. I would recommend it.

Mom had a rocky start when transitioning into Oakleaf Village. She had a couple falls and then a UTI but she is doing much better. The staff have been nothing but helpful and cooperative which makes it easier for me. Mom likes the food and enjoys the company. We are both happy with Oakleaf so far!

Nice place!

Our experience with Oakleaf Village has been a good one! It's a nice looking place, they keep it very clean, and for the most part the staff is very friendly and professional. My one complaint is that sometimes the front desk staff aren't as on top of things as they could be, but overall it's a very nice place.

Nice place

So far our experience with Oakleaf Village of Columbus has been a positive one. It's a nice looking, clean, well kept community, and the staff seems friendly and professional.

So far, very good.

So far, very good. Things are working perfect for her. There are always little bugs to work out, but overall we are happy with it. The people there are very nice.

Nice place but most definitely out of our price range. Maybe in our next lifetime this place will be within our budget.

So far it seems to be going fine.

So far it seems to be going fine. He hasn't had any complaints at all at this point. We haven't had any administrative issues whatsoever either. We are pretty happy with it, at this point I would give them a four.

Nice home for Mom.

Pros:
Near my home, so that I can visit Mom easily and be available when emergencies occur.
Small-scale, much more like Mom's own house than other facilities visited, which were huge and overwhelming.
Meals seem to be good.
Laundry done regularly and is hung and stacked neatly.
Mom has her own 1-room apartment with bathroom and a nice view of a pond, so she feels as if she has some privacy.

Cons:
Administrative staff has high turnover rate. Often emails in re care issues go unanswered for long periods of time.
Maintenance issues (recently, clogged sink and toilet) are fixed when persistently brought to the attention of administration. However, others go unaddressed---outside of 2nd-story windows have not been cleaned for 2 years, and gutter visible ditto. The apron of facility's entrance from street has potholes increasing in size.
Grounds are nicely kept and planted.

Care issues:
When an emergency occurs, no help is given by staff to frightened family members. Clearly it is expected/assumed that the family member will know what to do, where to go, what the hospital phone number is, be able to transport a frail 92-year-old woman in a compact car, etc. Would be great if staff would say more than 'your mom was taken to the hospital'---something like 'Here is what to do next.' To those whose career is health care, this sort of thing is routine: to family members who are not knowledgeable, news like this is terrifying. Seems to me that Oakleaf could consider the bill-paying next-of-kin as part of their 'mission statement'!

Even after my own repeated attempts to find a mobile dentistry service that could attend to Mom, her teeth go untended. Have contacted same, whose rep said that Oakleaf admin would be reached...nothing has happened. At 4000/month I think that Mom could get some help in brushing her teeth, esp as she has use of only one hand. Also think that getting ahold of a mobile dentist is properly within the scope of Oakleaf admin.

In general, Oakleaf is a good place for Mom. I know that she is safe and warm, will get her meds on time, have good food, and that someone is there to help her. She has received good care from a visiting podiatrist, and likes several of her aides.
I would recommend Oakleaf to anyone considering a care facility for their elderly parent, who desires a home-like atmosphere with medical assistance.

great place to be

The food could certainly be better. It is hard to cook in volume for a large amount of people, I guess.

Overall though it is a great place to be. For anyone that needs a retirement community like this for themselves or a loved one to live in I would certainly recommend Oakleaf Village of Columbus.

Very nice looking place!

I loved everything about Oakleaf. The Seniors were engaged with plenty of activities. I love how the staff interacted with the residents. Even the memory care unit was engaging. The food smelled great, and I like that they were served and had a selection instead of just one item.

Personnel there were very friendly an...

Personnel there were very friendly and helpful. Their written terms and conditions contained several errors and inconsistencies though; although by the time this was presented we had already initiated the move. Will have to just hope they operate in good faith. As far as the facility and the particular room, it seems to be a good value compared to eight other places we reviewed. For the price of a studio apartment at other locations, we were able to get a spacious one bedroom setup with a small kitchen. As to the staff and the dining, my sister has given favorable reviews so far. A big selling point was that the facility is Medicaid approved in the event money runs out in the coming several years.

Oakleaf Village of Columbus is Mom's home.

My mother has lived at Oakleaf Village of Columbus, an assisted-care facility, since February of 2013. We moved her from her home in another state after it became clear that she could not possibly return home from rehab nor could we pay the $14,000/month rate that this other-state facility required!

My overall rating of Oakleaf is good. However, I have discovered that 'assisted care' only goes so far.

Mom is 92 and has had 2 strokes. While (thankfully!) still alert mentally, able to bear weight and walk a bit, she is frail, incontinent, has left-side weakness, and needs assistance with nearly everything. She is also hard of hearing and affected by macular degeneration.

The crucial difference between assisted care/skilled care is that assisted-care aides DO NOT LIFT! This fact is essential to keep in mind when choosing a home for your family member. Ask and answer the question: How well does this person walk and stand?

Another important thing to keep in mind is that the facility should be a congenial place for YOU, too. You must feel comfortable there, and having it nearby is a great help...especially when the phone call comes that you need to take your mom to or fetch her from the hospital.

Oakleaf is a smallish facility---2 floors offering a variety of apartment layouts, at a range of prices. My Place For Mom contact was WONDERFUL---cannot say enough good things about her!---in providing names, prices, and contact information for this and other local facilities, essential information not available through Internet searches. Oakleaf is a kind of low-key place, not so huge and grand as some I visited, but more like Mom's home. And it is only a few miles up the street from me, which makes visits much easier, and more frequent than they would be otherwise.

Staff are OK---when I email a question it is usually answered promptly. Maintenance and repairs are performed in good time. Aides seem to do an acceptable job of getting Mom dressed, doing laundry, bathing her, and getting her down to the dining room on time. Nursing staff see to it that she receives and takes her meds when she should.

I would like to see more activities geared toward those folks with disabilities such as Mom's. Although the activity staff does do a good job in providing entertainment and crafts, movies, outings, etc Mom's hearing loss prevents her from fully enjoying many of these. Her left-side weakness has robbed her of most manual dexterity. It would be great if the activities dept could arrange, say, visits from volunteers who could sit and talk to Mom---her mind is sharp as ever, but it takes time to communicate with her. Not a major peeve but something i'd like to see happen.

Also...when one first gets the phone call that 'your mom has had a fall', more information, such as answers to the question What do I do now???? would be REALLY helpful. I have found out through experience that ALL ID and medical info should be brought: I feel that the nursing staff could have told me this. Granted, I am sure that they follow standard procedure but all the same being a tad bit more forthcoming would help reassure the panicky daughter!!! Any questions are answered fully---but often I do not know what questions to ask!

The food is home-cooked and good. The grounds are well-kept and attractive, right now bedded out with colorful annuals and shrubs.

As earlier mentioned, there are several floor plans available at Oakleaf---1 and 2 bedroom. If one is willing to pay for the privilege, in-room pets are even allowed! (Mom's neighbor has a cat.) Mom's apartment is one large room with kitchen (sink, stove, and refrig) and bathroom (with shower). She has a nice view of a pond and trees. There is a monthly rental fee for the apartment, to which additional fees are added as needed. Each resident receives an assessment of his or her needs, designated in levels---Mom receives the highest level of care (dressing, bathing, supervision of meds, transport to the dining room). To this sum other charges may be added, such as carpet cleaning, Depends, extra load of laundry. Pharmacy charges are separately billed: advise strongly that you sign up to get these through in-house company...if you want to avoid paying hundreds of dollars more per month!!

All in all, I would recommend Oakleaf. It is a friendly place, and one in which Mom seems happy. I feel that her physical needs are attended to, and she has the social interaction that she sorely lacked after my dad passed away. She has her familiar furniture, pictures, clothes, and her family---I know that if a medical emergency arises that staff will tend to her and notify me immediately.

My unbounded thanks to A Place For Mom! The best decision I made in my confusion and fear after Mom's second stroke, not knowing where to turn or what to do, was to send them that first email. My contact person, to whom I spoke the very next day, was just wonderful. She gave me the guidance and answers I desperately needed. Her knowledge and patience were invaluable. When she told me to call her whenever I needed to---she meant it, and was right there for me. To anyone who is facing a situation similar to mine, I wholeheartedly recommend A Place For Mom. It is also a place for ME.

Excellent choice

Oakleaf has been great to my parents, there are a lot of activities and they really seem to keep residents involved in something. Food is ok, but not a lot of vegetarian selections for my mom. Honestly, that is probably the only thing negative about the place . Their apartment is very nice, big rooms and exceptionally quiet which is great because I was worried about neighbor noise.

Accept Medicaid

Oakleaf is a very nice community with really friendly staff. The residents seem to be very happy here. The main reason we chose is because of the cost and the fact that they accept Medicaid.

Private funding then into Medicaid

We chose Oakleaf because it is close to proximity to were another community where a loved one lives. Other main factors in choosing this community is because of the availability they had and the cost they offered. The offer a program were you can do private funding for a certain amount of time and then they will accept Medicaid. We had a meal with our loved one there and we thought the food was fine but our loved one doesn't like it, just doesn't taste good for her.

My mom lives at Oakleaf.

Felt at home immediately when I toured, and that my mom would too. Some other facilites were so grand that I felt out of [removed] Oakleaf's atmosphere is much more like my own living room. Staff most helpful and friendly---have always been available to answer questions, and keep me posted on Mom's condition. Oakleaf is only a few miles from my house, a fact that I have been glad of during this winter!

Mom is 90, widowed in November 2012, and had been alone in her house (in NY) until having a stroke 4 months ago. She suffered hemiparesis, and had been taken to a skilled nursing facility. It soon became clear that she could neither go home nor stay where she was. I turned to 'A Place For Mom'---the best decision I could have made!

Admissions official assured me that all Mom's needs would be met---and they have been. For an additional monthly fee added to the rent for her apartment, Mom receives help with [removed] getting dressed; toileting; trips to the dining room. Still, this cost is a fraction of what it would have been at the NY facility, and the care is SO MUCH better!

Most importantly, Mom likes her new home. She has made friends and has high praise for the excellent food, friendly and skilled hairdresser, and the good care she has received from nurses, aides, and the staff doctor. Her room (a studio [removed] there are other, larger ones available) has a nice view of a small pond, and the space is just the right size for her.

I have nothing but praise for my contact at 'A Place for Mom', She was outstanding in all [removed] ready to help me whenever I needed her. Could not have accomplished this move (from NY to Ohio) without her detailed information and wonderful support. Thank you, Kim!

I liked this place the most of the 4 ...

I liked this place the most of the 4 I saw. Many of the residents were out & about in halls or in the lobby seating area. clean, cheerful surroundings that looked comfortable,sturdy & welcoming. Rooms w good layout & roomy kitchen,bathrooms. Carport available. Residents can walk outside if desired & go to places nearby. Plenty of activities. A buddy assigned to assist new -comer for info,introductions to other residents

Security was not what I was looking f...

Security was not what I was looking for. Storage in apt was great. Full kitchen. B-fast and dinner buffet. Lunch on resident. Outside area not mowed, felt overgrown. Dining area first rate. Room doors dusty from remodeling. Nice library plus book mobile.Narrow hallways. Residents were just sitting in common area(inactive & quiet). Felt like we were rushed. 2 story

I really liked this one

I really liked this one

Room size and price are good. Activit...

Room size and price are good. Activities are good.

I liked this facility the most out of...

I liked this facility the most out of those that I toured from your referrals. The representative was very knowledgeable, very interested in what I had to say, matched the information she gave me to the needs I expressed for my parents, and did a very thorough presentation of the facility. The facility itself was above average in it's offerings, staffing, and the environment it provides. It was however, bordering on overly saccharin. I could easily see my parents avoiding most activities because of the "sweet & simple" treatment I observed in several instances.

Seriously considering this one.

Seriously considering this one.

Very nice facility, staff were very i...

Very nice facility, staff were very informative. Clean, friendly environment.

The place was pretty dark and didn't ...

The place was pretty dark and didn't give me that warm inviting feeling I had at the facility I used to work for or the other places I had toured. It seemed clean, however. And I was incredibly impressed by how friendly the management team was and how well they interacted with the residents. That is definitely something you don't see at many places.