Northlake Gardens - Tucker, GA

Bad and getting worse

Yes, Northlake Gardens is dated and a bit shabby. However, that's not the worst thing. The worst thing is the quality of the care. While a few of the care givers do seem to really care about the residents, most don't seem to. They are rude, unfriendly and don't smile (maybe because they are under paid and under staffed). There have been many days where my mom was left wet in bed all day. There is high turnover at all levels of the staff: from the director to the nurse to the caregivers. Much of the time there was not a nurse on staff. The corporation that owns Northlake is cutting costs on all levels and does not have the best interests of the residents at heart. We are moving my mom.

Five Star Reviews

Dear 'Concerned', as the Executive Director at Northlake Gardens it is our goal to exceed expectations for all our residents, families and guests. I was sorry to read this was not your experience. I want to assure you that we not only meet state regulations for staffing, as a senior living company committed to quality care, we strive to exceed what is required. Furthermore, we provide our team members with a competitive salary and benefits, and provide training according to state regulations and our organizations' standards. That said, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your observations; we are always looking for ways to listen and improve.

Would we have moved Mom to Northlake Gardens, knowing then what we know now? Definitely not.

We have had our mom at Northlake Gardens for only a few months but they have been difficult, stressful months. We were promised 24 hour care, in-room checks every 2 hours by a caregiver, prompt and efficient response to concerns, a caring and active community, and excellent food. I cannot complain about the food.

Our mom has complained of pain, asking for a Tylenol, for over 2 straight days and no relief was given, to the extent that she called 911, seeking relief from the local ER.

Last month she was prescribed a special creme to help control her eczema condition. Because the doctor prescribed the creme to be given "as needed", this creme was applied 3 times in 3 weeks, each time after I asked for it to be applied, each time finding Mom in her room, frantically scratching and uncomfortable. After 3 months it was finally explained to us that "as needed" means "when the resident asks for it". Mom has dementia and doesn't know to ask for many things she needs. She did ask for pain relief for 2 days and did not receive any, so that might be stuck in her mind. Her legs are inflamed & bumpy, and no creme was being applied because Mom didn't specifically ask for it.

We began noticing a musty, moldy smell in her room after a month and brought it immediately to the attention of the staff, including the maintenance and sales staff and finally the executive director. Some staff members attempt to cover up the smell with air freshener. It has been over 3 weeks since I brought the mold problem to their attention and this week the condition was checked upon and confirmed.

We do not have full knowledge of the day to day activities at Northlake Gardens but with the exception of one occasion when she was at a meal, every time I have visited Mom, she has been in her room, sitting in her chair.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your review. First and foremost, I would like to apologize for any miscommunications caused to you and your loved one. I am deeply sorry and I understand and empathize with your experiences. This is highly uncharacteristic of Northlake Gardens standards and practices. Let’s schedule a meeting at your convenience to discuss our plan of action and the solutions that are already in process to rebuild our relationship, regain your trust, and meet and exceed your expectations. Charles James, Executive Director.

Both parents are in this community

Both my parents were there and the people are wonderful. Food is great according my dad and they took great care of them both. Mom was in beginning stages of Alzheimer's & dad was there to gain strength after an extended hospital & rehab stay. Mom has transitioned to the Bridge group for Alzheimer's patients. Dad was able to transition home. Dad will be returning to NLG in a few days due to a fall & broken hip. We had no reason to look for another facility since we are happy with the care they provide.

Both parents are in this community

Very clean, and a friendly staff!

We're very pleased with this community so far! One thing in particular that they do very well is any sort of event where they get the families involved, like their Thanksgiving dinner, or holiday celebrations. They really go all out! It's a great looking place, and they always keep it very clean. The employees are friendly and caring, and they provide the residents with plenty of things to do.

Seemed like a good place

We looked into this community when we were looking into options for our loved one. This was a nice enough looking facility, it was well kept and clean, and the staff seemed friendly. I felt like the decor here was a bit old fashioned looking and out of date. We decided Mom was not at the level where she would need assisted living care, so this was not one of the options we considered in the end.

Very pleased with facilities and staff.

My Mom has adjusted well to Northake Gardens. While she always maintained a desire to live independently at her home she understands why this is no longer possible and the staff and facilities at Northlake are a big reason for her acceptance.

$2900-3700/mo. $30/mo meds....

$2900-3700/mo. $30/mo meds. $200-$800 depending on level of care/assistance needed.

Memory care unit was full. ...

Memory care unit was full. Common are in Memory Care was small and cramped. Staff was well informed and had a good understanding of the business.

Clean and Bright Community

We chose this community because the location is close and convenient for our family. The interior of the community is very clean, bright and does not have the feel of an institution. Provides more of a residential type feel to it. Compared to the other community we were strongly considering, it just felt like Northlake's style was best suited for our loved one. Similar types of color and lighting she used at her home. We are very pleased with Northlake and would recommend it to anyone.

Very nice lady. Frequent outings and...

Very nice lady. Frequent outings and dinner. price okay. Sixty six residents. Waiting for brochure.

the Director was great. I enjoyed the...

the Director was great. I enjoyed their facility. Ratio of like people was not good.

Like this Facility very much.

Like this Facility very much.

visited this facility and came away w...

visited this facility and came away with a favorable impression.

I enjoyed the vist to Northlake Garde...

I enjoyed the vist to Northlake Gardens and would consider it for my mom. I did prefer Merrill Gardens but that is a personal preference.

Northlake Gardens is a beautiful assisted living and Alzheimer's care community located in Tucker, Georgia conveniently located near I-285 and I-85. Step inside our doors and discover fine retirement living, where excellent care meets the comforts of home.Spacious apartments, thoughtful amenities, and caring staff create a community rich in hospitality and friendship- a community you will be proud to call home.

Stop by for a tour today!