New Haven Assisted Living & Memory Care of San Angelo - San Angelo, TX

First impression

This is a pretty community and the person I spoke to on the phone was friendly. They did not seem to know what to do when we arrived for our tour as they had forgotten about it. We did receive a tour, unfortunately the person that took us on tour was not very knowledgeable.

Like walking into a big house

Mom had her own room and she liked living here. We had to move mom as this community was not able to meet her needs. They did try to keep her active and they were very attentive. This is a smaller community so the residents receive great one on one care. The food is wonderful and they layout of the community is nice. The staff are friendly and called her by name. I would recommend this community.

Attractive, comfortable, family-like atmosphere.

I was initially very impressed overall with New Haven, and recommended it to my mother. She selected it as her new "home," and has been very happy with it, overall.

First, the positives. The environment is very home-like, and a far cry from the standard "institutional" look that many assisted living facilities have. Additionally, because it is small, and has a better staff/resident ratio, I believe the residents receive better attention than in some other places.

Staff is very attentive to check on Mother regularly and they are always sweet and courteous to her. They will do just about anything she requests, and they are very pleasant about it.

Meals are far above average, generally well-balanced and healthful, served attractively, without being unduly bland. (There does seem to be an over-reliance on pasta and other starches, though, which is not necessarily good for those with diabetes.)

I do have some concerns with staff turnover. In the month and a half that Mother has been there, there have been so many personnel changes, we cannot keep track of staff names and positions. (Name tags for all staff would be very welcome!) Additionally, although the care has generally been very good, it has not been quite up to expectations. I think this is due to the fact that the facility hires young (inexperienced) folks just out of high school who may not have the necessary maturity, and may not be fully trained regarding the level of care needed for the residents. There have been some instances where staff has appeared to be [Removed] some essential care. I am hopeful that when (if?) staffing stabilizes, care will be up to expectations.

I am also a bit disappointed so far in the variety of activities offered. We were told there would be some music programs and worship services, but those have not yet materialized. They do offer Bingo, dominoes and other such games for those inclined that way. There are frequent movie/popcorn nights, but Mother has reported that the movies that have been shown don't interest her.

All that said, my mother is well-pleased and content, and she generally feels safe. Most of the concerns that I have brought to the attention of the Administrator or RN have been addressed, and I am confident that most of the staff truly desires to do a good job and care for the residents well. I would definitely recommend New Haven.

I am happy for the most part. They are taking excellent care of my husband. They are aware of his problems and the staff seems to take everything to heart. The place is small enough that they can watch him. He seems to enjoy his own room and the fact he can feed the birds outside his window and watch the street not a fence. The food is excellent.

I just wish they had an activities director that had more things planned for the Memory Care unit. There is too much dead space, especially in the afternoon. In the month that my husband has been there, I only saw the activities director once. I have not been him around to "run" activities tho.

In Hospice Being Well Taken Care Of

I was able to get a private room for the same price as other communities that were for non-private rooms. This place had a better value for us and now things are great for my mother-in-law. She has staff that are good at providing the care she needs. They show compassion and have been understanding to the residents. The meals are tasty and the cleaning looks good. However, she is not joining the act ivies that are offered due to being on hospice. She rests and family members come visit her. My family is always treated with respect and the staff have been welcoming. I would recommend this community to my friends.

It's going downhill

Two years ago this facility was one of the best. It used to be Bee Hive Homes, and while there may have been a complaint here or there, it was fantastic overall. Last year this facility was bought out and renamed New Haven. Since then things have gone steadily downhill. Staff has been cut, the quality of food is horrible, inedible some days. How can my loved one receive proper care with only one staff member working each shift? The facility also recently replaced the activity director (with the teenage son of the new administrator, hmm...) and since then I have not seen a single activity being done in their memory care house. This is not the type of care that families are paying thousands of dollars a month for. If there is not a turn around soon they may loose yet another resident, along with all the others that have voluntarily moved over the last year.

You should check this place out!

We have reviewed 10-12 "facilities". This is the first one we've found that is like living in your own home. Each resident has a large room and large bathroom. The rooms are centered around a large living room, gorgeous kitchen and dining area. This is not just another nursing home trying to be something it's not. The staff is friendly and energetic and very kind and helpful to my parents.