Minnehaha Senior Living - Minneapolis, MN

We are concerned about the total well being of our residents and honor their right to make their own decisions, treat them with dignity and respect and encourage as much independence as possible while helping when needed. Our activity director is a board certified music therapist so we have a lot of music in the building which has really increased the number of people attending daily exercise and other activities. Each day, we have a special for lunch and a special for dinner (breakfast is made to order). If they don’t care for the special, we have an always available menu including soup, salad, sandwiches, burgers, BLT and so on. There are also several options for desserts and we set out snacks in the afternoons. The apartments do have a full kitchen so they can prepare their own meals and snacks if they wish.

could improve so they make communication a little easier

Minnehaha Senior Living could improve so they make communication a little easier. The communication between the staff and the residents family is not that great. I usually have to call to get any information. It would be nice to establish regular communication with them. There also seems to be a language barrier but I am not sure how to get passed that. My dad really struggles with it.

I like it. It seems like a good fit..

I like it. It seems like a good fit. The only thing is that they do have in house physicians but they don't have any transportation to specialist's. Otherwise it's pretty good!

Overall Good Place

Cleanliness 5 stars

Since changes have occurred in nursing department the life at Minnehaha senior living for our loved ones is wonderful. It was good before but management cares, Staff is friendly,food is Good and most of all family and loved ones are very happy. It is very much home

Friendly staff - small community

My loved one has only been at this community a short while. There are couple of things - they could wear name tags more consistently. I would like a sign going into the memory care as you’re going in, so you know who is on staff today. I think they are doing a really good job. It’s very small – I like the size of it. There was an open door policy – you can go anytime you want. I like it very much.
I looked at a lot of different places - price was a consideration.
There are people to chit chat with for him. Community is a helpful thing for people to have.
Really friendly.

A disrespectful disaster

The Waters contributed to my family's unhappiness and my mom's misery during the final year of her life. Despite a few kind and caring staff members, the standouts were those who treated my mom disrespectfully, one of who was verbally abusive, and the head of nursing, who was unresponsive to requests for change and detailed complaints. In general, management exhibited a lack of professionalism and concern.

The Waters is clearly not set up for elders with frequent care needs. (My mom was of sound mind, wheelchair-bound and incontinent.) Care visits promised (and paid for) every three to four hours ended up being 7 or 8 hours apart (not good when someone is incontinent). Staff would speak over mom mom when attending to her, complaining about their jobs or discussing other topics as though my mom was not there. They'd sometime speak in their native language rather than English around her.

Food was decidedly second-rate, and lack of wheelchair-accessible apartments was also a big down side. Laundry was spotty (literally and figuratively; several items of clothing were ruined due to improper laundering).

The facility might serve the needs of those who are largely independent, but if a resident's needs increased, the Waters is clearly not the place unless some massive staff and management overhauls have occurred since 2013.

Be ware, what you don't see, you don't know. Please read our experience.

We moved our mom into The Waters of Minnehaha, Memory Care (Mpls) last spring with high hopes. Although the facility is nearly new, we were fooled by the “chandelier,” & our experience was shocking & unacceptable. Here, on a regular basis, we witnessed neglect & maltreatment to a vulnerable adult. With much communication requesting “their promised care,” requests went ignored & mom was uncared for & neglected for hours & hours on a regular basis, without being checked. A sample of life -few if any daily “cares” administered, no grooming, stench odor, no prompt/assist to bed clothes, left alone for hours pacing, not put to bed, curled on a loveseat all nite, blaring loud radio or TV, bright lights all night, no interaction by the selectively “mute” staff, as it is not in the job descript to talk to mom.AIDES don’t do their job, NURSES don’t do their job, DIR NURSES doesn’t do their job and MANAGEMENT doesn’t either. This is sadly the normal acceptable culture here. Many more grieving stories of this place, too numerous to mention. We moved our mom.

Did not see staff around, b...

Did not see staff around, beautiful apts...food seemed way below expectations of priced meals.

Presently have my mom livin...

Presently have my mom living here. Still getting their programming organized. Not enough cognitive stimulation for memory care residents. Caregivers are always running- they need more staff. I think the layout of the building is part of the problem. It was designed to provide the residents privacy but it makes it difficult to efficently give care.

review of The Waters of Minnehaha

The staff of the Waters was quick to respond to our needs for our father. Since this was going to be a quick move for us they helped us along through the process. They gave us the full tour /gave our father a medical evaluation and then sat us down to work out a plan for a 2 week initial period with a evaluation sit-down at the end of this period. We will be having this meeting within the next few days. We looked at least 4 different assisted living facilities within a 1 week period [I would recommend this to everyone] but eventually settled on The Waters for several reasons. It is a newer facility---is close to our home making it easier to go see Dad more often---he grew up in the area the Waters is located so it is a familiar area for him to relate to---most of the residents are also from the area--the staff is more than willing to work with us to make sure our father is comfortable and safe. Since he has been there only a short time this review is only based on what we have experienced so far.

Looked good on my list for final poss...

Looked good on my list for final possibility. Primarily because of proximity to home. Lacks spiritual component.

Really liked this facility. Great ame...

Really liked this facility. Great amenities, active residents. Concerned about ability to monitor someone with memory care.