New Perspective Senior Living | Highland Park - Saint Paul, MN

My three parents

I am writing a review for New Perspective Senior living of Highland Park based on my experience regarding my mom and my stepfather. Also, my dad was there in memory care.

Making the decision to move my mom and stepfather to New Perspective was the best decision we ever made! Moving them from their home was hard. After a few weeks they were thriving. No more worrying if they were taking their meds, or wondering if they were eating well. The staff was amazing! They are always helpful and caring. They made friends, played cards, played bingo, went to church. The music they brought in was wonderful.

Even if my parents got sick, they staff at New Perspective would call the doctors. If they had to be hospitalized, the staff was always in communication with family and doctors. They were welcomed like royalty when they came home from the hospital.

My dad was at a different Senior Living. It was determined that he need memory care. His facility did not have memory care at the time. Knowing how much we loved New Perspective Highland Park, we moved him in. The first day a dear staff member came up to me and hugged me and said, "Don't worry, we'll take good care of him." And boy, did they ever! He was so well taken care of.

During the 4 years at New Perspective there have been many times I had to deal with new medications, food restrictions, walkers, wheelchairs, sickness you name it. The staff was always so willing, caring and supportive.

All three of my parents are gone now. They were able to stay in their cute little apartments until the end. I feel compelled to let others know that my parents all left this world with such love and dignity from the staff. I take great comfort knowing that they felt like they were home!

When my parents first moved in to New Perspective, [name removed], the director said to me. "We are not perfect, we are people taking care of people". I think he was wrong. I think they are perfect!!!!

Stacy Shuman

Hi Susie, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let the world know about your positive experience. Have a great day!

Bright and Sunny

When we were looking for a place for my love one this location was actually my first choice. The facility was well run, it was sunny, and bright. However, I had to worry what my love one would be paying. Based on her income it was not a good fit unfortunately.

Stacy Shuman

Hi, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at New Perspective Senior Living | Highland Park! If you have any further questions, please give us a call. We're always happy to help!

Nothing bad to say

It has been a wonderful experience working with this community. I am very pleased with the care my wife is receiving. The staff and caregivers are really nice and professional. The food is good. My wife is enjoying the amenities and activities offered. The community is well cared for and has nice grounds. Her room is nice and offers a small kitchen. This community is in a good location for us and I would recommend it.

Stacy Shuman

Hi, we're happy you found our staff to be so supportive during your experience here at New Perspective Senior Living | Highland Park . Thank you, and have a fantastic day!

Comfort for dad!!

My father is doing great since his move into this community. The staff is all very friendly and welcoming. The director is great. When I visit my father, the facility is always very clean, so it has been a good experience for us so far.

Stacy Shuman

Thanks for the feedback, we strive to provide excellent service to our residents at New Perspective Senior Living | Highland Park. Wishing you a great day until the next time we meet.

Upfront And Honest People

When I spoke with them and what they described to me about the community it felt like it was more institutional based like a hospital. Their residents were farther into Dementia and not many of them were able to interact. I felt that it was not worth looking into. I appreciate and it is nice that they were upfront and did not hide anything.

Stacy Shuman

We appreciate you taking the time to provide a review of our services and regret not meeting your expectations. Wishing you a great day.

Wonderful Staff!!

Things are going well so far for my loved one. She really likes the community and the staff. I feel that there is a good relationship with the staff. The meals plans that they offer are good and healthy. Most importantly my loved one is in a safe place with attentive staff that make sure her care needs are being met.

Terrible

If I could give it zero ratings, I would. Today we found out by not Keystone, but my grandmas hospice, who works for a different company, that she was flipped out of bed. We received no call or report on this. My grandma now has internal brain bleeding that is clotting near her neck. We also had another incident last year where she was rushed to the hospital due to "falling" out of her wheel chair. She is practically immobile and cannot move, let alone fall at a fast enough rate to break her nose. These are two of many investigations that are going on. The management is awful. Also, they have lost my grandmas dentures twice now, costing us over 4,000 to continuously get them replaced.
It's a beautiful place but not worth what you're paying.

I have toured this before and feel it is too large for what we now want.

Keytsone Community of Highland

My parents have been at Keystone for 10 days. So far their transition to being in assisted living has been fairly smooth. The two things that are outstanding at Keystone are the excellent staff and the food! The staff are kind and caring and go out of their way to be helpful and responsive. The food is delicious!

There were definitely things I liked about this community.

There were definitely things I liked about this community. They were very enthusiastic about my loved one coming there. I liked their attitude towards response time, saying that a call button should be answered in 3-5 minutes. I liked that their kitchen was open from 7 a.m., until 10 p.m. so they could go down when they were hungry to eat. This was significantly more expensive, and further away than others we were looking at.

Extremely Accommodating

The staff members were very accommodating and they all worked with me to get my loved one moved in as early as possible. They were all just very, very friendly over there at the Keystone Communities facility.

Wonderful but there are still problems

The staff is wonderful. They are friendly and very helpful. The dining staff is very busy. It is very difficult to get their attention and the help a resident might need. One problem my father had was his toilet seat. The seat was not stable. It took me 4 times over a 2 week period to get the issue resolved. My father fell once using the toilet in this time. I truly like the facilities. It is much better than the nursing home that my father used to be in. Supposedly they clean weekly. I don't believe that is happening since I have washed the kitchen floor twice and my father has only lived there 2 months. Nevertheless I am happy , but they should do better than they are.

POORLY TRAINED STAFF ARE A HAZARD TO LOVED ONES

A senior care facility is only as good as the people who are caring for your loved one. We learned this lesson the hard way. We were first attracted to the Keystone Highland Park facility because it seemed clean, was well appointed and convenient to our home, but now after 1 year of having our loved one there, we understand that we made a big mistake. My mother almost died recently because of a new and untrained residential aide. The turnover in staff and the lack of competent supervision of new staff result in a very dangerous situation for those who need a bit of extra care or who are a bit more frail. We are moving my Mom to another facility and I ask you PLEASE do not consider Keystone. I feel guilty that we did not move my Mom sooner—the mistakes made by staff were endless and inexcusable. If you are someone who will visit your loved one often, then you soon will realize that what I am writing is the TRUTH.

Amazing experience

My grandma is as at Keystone for 2 months. My mom and I had a hard time putting grandma into an Assisted Living. She have lived in her home for over 50 years. I worked in senior living and knew what to look for and what to be wary about. We could not have picked a better place for grandma. The staff was incredible, the food was good, the place as clean, and the communication was amazing. My grandma was so excited about the upcoming holiday parties with her new friends, and her new home. She passed away last week quickly from cancer. I will sing Keystone's praises for as long as I can. They were there for grandma when we couldn't be (we lived 4 hours away).

An excellent retirement center.

This is an excellent retirement center. The communication with the staff has been very good. The food is good as well. The location of the facility and the parking is fine. I would recommend the Keystone Communities of Highland Park to anyone looking for an excellent retirement center. Everything has been going well. I am very pleased with everything.

Great marketing, cares OK, activities good, billing-scary/slippery

The place is decorated to sell. There are free ultra fancy all-food and drink inclusive big parties several times a year with music and novelty for residents and their families. (The management asks for a can of food donation to food shelf each gala, so they likely deducts these $6K expenses from taxes.) There are double gas fireplaces flanking the entry. The facility is clean and well-maintained. The care services are hit or miss. If you get a good resident assistant/aid your family member is lucky. 99% of the aids are [removed] that are difficult for people with Alzheimer's and/or hearing problems to comprehend. This is a barrier. They check on residents a lot which is great. The dining room is nice but the quality of food has gone down since the higher-paid chef was let go. The "menu" is pre-ordained by financial management/oversight at maximum cost-cutting. Most dinners they have 1/2-1 sandwich (!?!) with a cup of soup and ice cream or cookie. Residents can enjoy a glass of wine or beer with dinner which is rare in Assisted Livings and a positive feature. All the residents have a beeper necklace to call for help which is a plus if the resident knows how to use it. The activities daytime are bingo and chair exercise, with a movie at night. Once or twice a week there is a musical guest which is excellent. There are off-site field trips once a week which few residents take part in, unfortunately. The staff turnover is mysteriously rapid. There have been 4 SETS of 1 nurse and 2 LPNs who have come and gone in the last 3 years. There have been 3 different activities directors in the last 3 years. The dining room staff is not paid enough to support themselves and a child so the employees have to rely on public assistance from the government. The owner makes 6 figures. The biggest complaint is the billing. It is shady and goes up rapidly. They have a care level form that is hard to decipher and even though the services are similar for many residents they find ways to increase the bill yearly. My parent's bill has doubled in the last 3 years without a distinguishable change in the level of services. You don't really have any say in this, even if you provide input to the management staff, so expect an ever-increasing bill. You have to monitor to make sure cares are being done, such as baths, tooth brushing because if you're not watching it might be skipped.

Look elsewhere - anywhere, but here

Very negative experience with this place. Would not recommend even if loved one was in good health and did not need any assistance. Do not trust to leave a vulnerable or fragile loved one in the hands of this facility. At first glance it appears very nice and well run, but within a short time noticed terrible urine smell in hallway's and elevators, residents are not kept clean. Most of the aides clearly lacked any sufficient training or common sense. Seemed there was constant turnover in staff.
Some of the staff did seem to have their heart in the right place but management was horribly difficult to work with. There was no clear system in place and it was an impossible daily struggle to get the most basic care needs met. The Billing alway's had errors and charges for services that were never done. A lot of empty promises and a very poorly run facility all around.

Working out well so far!

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at Keystone Communities! Our loved one has settled in very well here. It is clean, well kept, and the staff are all very friendly.

Keystone of Highland Park, MN

The staff at Keystone of Highland Park a very professional, caring, and courteous. The facility is very tidy and well maintained, and the apartment units are homey. I will recommend Keystone Communities of HIghland Park to family and friends in the future.

Not Recommended for High Level Care

They cannot do high level patient care here. The staff is not well supervised and takes a lot of breaks. They have a pricing point system that is difficult to understand. So the cost can vary month by month on the bill rapidly if the health of the elderly person goes down . So I would not recommend this facility unless your loved one is ambulatory and can live independently with a minimal amount of supervision.
Keystone advertises like they can do all level of patients but the truth is they mostly just do the same routine for all of them and I was never sure mom was getting the care we were paying for. Lots of times I just found Mom lying alone in the room, her diaper wet and had to ring the buzzer for about 30 minutes before anyone came to help us. We were paying 7000 per month so you think they could do better!!

Caring keystone

The people at keystone were very caring and accommodating when my father stayed here. The nursing staff and care were good. There were times when medicines had to be adjusted which took a couple of days but it worked out. The food was good- restaurant style. Our dog was allowed to visit. One issue- when an incident happened over the weekend, they couldn't get a hold of the on call doctor to give Tylenol so I had to call around to in- town friends to get him some Tylenol for his minor pain. I kept thinking- what if this had been worse? . .. But overall, very welcoming and many kind friendly staff.

Very Happy

We had our first care conference, my husbands only complaint was too much dressing in the salad condiment cup. It is clean and the staff are very friendly they always talk to us in the halls. We are also very happy with A Place For Mom. Two days after meeting with the lady, we moved in.

I give them an A for effort.

I think they are pretty good. They are really trying. I give them an A for effort. They don't have enough people to help with the activities, in the memory care. The food hasn't been real good so far.

I liked this place very mu...

I liked this place very much. must have a conference with everyone.

It's been a good experience and I would recommend them to others.

The food is excellent, it's a 4 plus. They should get more of a variety of activities, people should check the paperwork and the figures because they are not always correct. They are accommading when you make requests and quick to respond. It's been a good experience and I would recommend them to others.

Moms new home

Mom has been at Keystone for nine days now, she is doing great! She physically is fine but her dementia was getting bad living alone. Since the move she seems to have regained her memory some which is so good to see.

Excellent Community

The community is very nice and is kept very clean. They offer quite a few things for the residents. They have lots of activities and plenty of things for the residents to do. The community is expensive but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it.

This is a great place. The ...

This is a great place. The studio was very nice and the environment seems ideal for aging in place.We will definitely keep this place in mind for the near future if needed. Almost perfect for my Mother, however we are going to take our chances with my Mom staying where she is. She has at least 2+ years of money left to stay here.

Needs

Initially, it would have been a 5 out of 5, but now it's a 3 out of 5. The day staff all goes home at the end of the day, and the night staff is only 2 people caring for 105 residents. They're trying to add staff but I'm sleeping in my father's room until things improve in case of a fall or other problem

It seems like, outside of the fact that there's not enough staff there at night in case of a fall or a med alert. He's in their new memory care area (they've only had it for 5 months, and they're tweaking it)

Activities: They've got 'em every day, and it's wonderful.

Don't seem prepared for memory care

We chose Keystone because they were offering great deals on move in and the community is just beautiful. Unfortunately we were in a desperate situation and chose to move in before truly looking into it. We were in a bad situation and needed a place for my loved one right away due to legal issues. Our loved one is currently not in Keystone anymore. We just didn’t feel there were prepared for memory care. Our loved one was put into the same dementia patients with a more advanced case, so our loved one was more active then most and seemed like he was just sitting around with no socialization at all. They only have one common area for the memory care where they sit and watch TV, but it is too small for all the residents to sit and enjoy, it is filled up with residents in wheelchairs. They are currently building a patio so that the residents can hang out there as well but it still hasn’t been finished. We feel like the staff just needs some more training on dealing with dementia patients. They should try to make it less confusing no more by moving residents to multiple rooms in a short amount of time. The memory care unit is locked but really feels like they are confined.

Great. Close. Can do month-...

Great. Close. Can do month-to-month to test; Seems the best fit so far. Said he liked Sunrise in Goldenvalley, and Keystone used to be a Sunrise facility.

Founded in 1998, New Perspective Senior Living (NPSL) is a family owned company that develops and operates vibrant, senior living communities in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Our foundational belief--that all seniors deserve to Live Life on Purpose® and age with dignity--was forged from the personal experience of caring for a family member with Alzheimer's disease. Today, the company serves seniors in 21 communities with Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care options. NPSL is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. For more information, please visit www.npseniorliving.com.