Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen - San Jose, CA

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen is located in San Jose, California. Willow Glen is like a small town neighborhood, with a tree-lined main street populated by outdoor cafes, coffee shops, boutiques and bookstores. Our community includes independent and assisted living apartments and Alzheimer's care. The community consists of independent retirement and assisted living apartments with a combination of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments. Our apartment-style community offers all the amenities of a home without the hard work. Imagine a life without household chores, yard work or home maintenance. Invite guests to a meal, special event or social outing. With our on-site Active Living Director, scheduled transportation and Anytime Dining Program - there are opportunities to make friends or entertain old ones right outside your front door. Welcome to Merrill Gardens, a one of a kind retirement community.

Located is perfect for shopping

Mom is doing fine since moving here. She seems to be well adjusted however I would like her to be doing more of the activities than what she is currently doing. The community has a piano that the residents can play or sit by the fireplace and listen to someone else play. The staff is wonderful very engaged with the residents and the families. The community is kept very clean and well maintained. They have different areas around the building to sit and visit with family or friends or just the other residents. Mom said the food is ok it could be better.

Mom is really happy!!

I have no complaints about the care that my loved one has received at this community. The staff have all been wonderful to her and have accommodated her needs to the best of there ability. She has had no issues with the food and enjoys participating in many activities with the other residents. I would highly recommend it to anyone. My mom is very happy and that is what is most important to me.

I toured!!

I toured Merril Gardens prior to making a decision, and it was a nice place. The facility was in good shape and the people there were very friendly. It all came down to location, and also the food was not that great there.

A Visit To The Community

They were a good community and in the mater of trying to fit into what was being offered and finding a good fit for brother was a new experience to me. On the tour they were pretty much professional and friendly. I went through the whole community. It was helpful to have a list of communities to visit from A Place For Mom. This was not the right fit.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking your time to visit Merrill Gardens and provide us with this review. We hope you find the right fit as you research different senior living options. Please let us know if we can offer any additional assistance or answer any questions.

A finalist for my in-laws. Great location, nice facility, large apartments and good variety of activities and services. No 2 bedrooms are available right now which was important criteria in their decision.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing us this positive review. We are happy to hear that you are considering Merrill Gardens for your in-laws. Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions!

Positives: Super professional but friendly staff. Lovely community facilities. Lots of programming and support. LOVE the fact that once you move in you don't have to move again if you need to shift from "independent" to "assisted" living. Apartments are relatively spacious and contemporary.
Cons: Fewer younger, truly independent residents than, say, [Removed]. Setup of building results in long dark hallways that are very nondescript and feel a bit institutional. Quite expensive.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing us this review. We appreciate hearing the pros and cons you found. If there is anything additional we can help with, please let us know!

not interested - friend lived there - not what I am looking for - small seems like old folks place

Review of Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen - San Jose, CA

We had lunch and toured with my mother last week and have put down a deposit to hold us in place but we are still looking. The area is great and the apartments are good size. Waiting list of 5 months.

Great Place

Nice clean friendly place.

Mom moves into Merrill!

My mother has been in a one bedroom apartment for 3 weeks at Merrill Gardens, Willow Glen. I am impressed by the friendliness of the staff and quality of care they are providing my mother. She is making friends and going to activities.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this positive review. We are so pleased to hear that your mother is enjoying Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have questions or additional feedback.

Nice building and rooms. However outside area was not as inviting as it was too sunny and looked like it was only used for special events.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. We will look for additional ways to make our outdoor areas feel more inviting. Please don't hesitate to contact us with additional feedback or any questions!

They are very friendly. It is a nice, clean, and comfortable environment.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to give us this great feedback!

Nice size rooms although the overall layout of the building seemed a little confusing. Much traffic noise on east side of building, but only when window or patio door is open. Nice bathroom set-up.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing this review and bringing these issues to our attention. We always look to our reviews to see how we can improve, and will use this information to do so. If you have any other comments feel free to contact us directly.

Merrill Gardens Willow Glen would have been a fine selection had there been a private room available. The memory community seemed well connected as a group. It felt like a 'family' environment, comfortable and easy, clean and safe.

Review of Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen Alzheimer's / Memory Care in San Jose, CA

Tour on Wednesday September 3 Received all important documents. Excellent community and staff. On my list for consideration. Visiting other recommended facilities over the next three months, will evaluate top three considerations.

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen is GREAT!

My mother truly enjoyed her time at Merrill Gardens. The staff was wonderful and accommodated her quirky ways. The other residents were friendly and welcoming and the activities were creative and fun. My brothers and I couldn't have asked for a better place for our mother.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are so happy to hear about the positive experiences shared by your family.

Susan Adams was very helpful and the ...

Susan Adams was very helpful and the whole community was so welcoming. Overall I had a great experience.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate your strong recommendation of our team members. We strive to provide a great place to live and it is good to know we are living up to this expectation. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need anything else.

Merrill Gardens is a "Home away from ...

Merrill Gardens is a "Home away from home".

Amanda Warren

We appreciate your positive review. We're happy that you are enjoying our community, and hope we can continue providing exceptional service to you!

I think it is a wonderful place. I wo...

I think it is a wonderful place. I would recommend to anybody.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to write us this review, Louise. It's wonderful to know that you are enjoying our community! If you ever have any concerns don't hesitate to call us directly.

Merrill Gardens Willow Glen is the be...

Merrill Gardens Willow Glen is the best thing that happened to our family. My mom needed monitoring but needed to maintain her independence. The staff is very accommodating and makes daily contact with my mom and reports on her daily. Compared to other independent facilities this is head and shoulders above the rest. All of the residents you see and talk to are happy.

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for giving us this review. We understand how important independence is to residents, and we are happy that we have been able to provide this to your mother with a perfect balance of care from us. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to give us a call.

Took a tour

Took a tour of this facility and thought it was nicer than most. The rooms were newer and a bit larger than you would expect. Liked the full size refrigerator and stove.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for the positive review. We're happy to hear that you found the rooms so spacious during your visit. If you have questions, just give us call!

A home away from home

The staff at Merrill Gardens in Willow Glen are extremely helpful and cooperative. The facility is clean and well maintained. The menu in the dining room varies but is limited. The lunch and dinner menus are the same, but sandwiches, hamburger and hot dogs are always available. Some items are quite tasty and high quality, but overall the quality varies from mediocre to good. Little attention is given to the presentation of the food, which makes it less appetizing.

There are activities and entertainment, but there is little to do in the evenings.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for leaving us this detailed review. We work hard to provide a wonderful place to live, and are sorry to hear you aren't completely satisfied. Thank you for letting us know about the issue regarding the food. If there are any more concerns you have, feel free to give us a call.

Very nice facility. The wo...

Very nice facility. The woman I spoke with said that if diagnosed with dementia then could not be in assisted living. Would need to be determined. Very nice apartments! Did not like the memory care facilities. Residence seemed sad and non-communicative. Don't think Mom would be happy there.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for giving us this honest feedback about your experience. We would like to discuss your experience to possibly resolve your concerns. Please contact us at [removed] at your convenience.

So expensive

My mom can live here only because we were able to sell her house and she is living off the proceeds. Assisted living is very expensive and not covered by Medicare. It is sad that in this country there are not enough societal concerns about our senior citizens. They can be productive all their lives and yet not find financial security in there latter years. In any event, Merrill Gardens does provide what they say they will provide and my mom is very comfortable and contented there.

Mom's Room With a View

Mom's been settled in her new 4th floor apartment for about one week, and everything has gone very smoothly. She is pleased with the room, the general ambiance, the positive attitudes, and her meals. What more can one hope for when the changes happened so quickly, even if it was of her own choosing?

Great Place

The place is great. The people there were very friendly and they were very helpful with my mom but now my mom needs more care. She needs something more hands on. She was on the fourth floor in assisted living so that wasn't going to work any more and she doesn't have the income to pay what they were going to charge her for more care.

Horrible! I Don't Recommend Them!

My sister lived in there and it was horrible because she broke out of there at midnight when I was in Europe and walked down to Meridian Avenue, one of the busiest strees in San Jose, and bloodied herself from head to toe and they took no responsibility for that. They promised a secure environment and said there would be someone at the front desk at all times and she just walked right out. At first they tried to tell me that she has walked down two filghts of stairs and gone out the side door but she can't walk 3 feet without her walker and can't go down one stair without help so that did not happen.

They made us get 24hr care that would have been $18,000 a month on top of what they were already charging me. It was horrible. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

We Feel Very Fortunate

My mom is very happy there. You always would like it be less costly and apparently it does go up every year. I did look around pretty hard and there are more expensive places but there is a snob factor at those places.

My mom is independent but it does appear that they're very good at providing whatevery the do provide. It's not a nursing home so apparently they don't accept anybody with lots of medical issues. There is covered parking which is a real plus for my mom who does have a car still. She's in a large studio and architecturally, it's just the cutest thing. We feel very fortunate and blessed.

Beautiful, all new! Two bedrooms are...

Beautiful, all new! Two bedrooms are nice size, full kitchen...nicely laid out, will work well for mom. Bathrooms have rollin showers! Overall, really laid out nicely for wheelchairs.

The best that I have seen so far.

The best that I have seen so far.

Very nice. Good size apt. No cell pho...

Very nice. Good size apt. No cell phone signal. Salad bar good but rest of lunch was so-so.

Nice and new. Nice room set ups even ...

Nice and new. Nice room set ups even for studios. However, there wasn't a lot of activity around like at the other properties.

This is virtually on the way to Atria...

This is virtually on the way to Atria Willow Glen, so trying to get there on the same trip! When I got there the Director was on vacation for another week, so someone else took me on the tour. Her assistant is very knowledgeable, love her to death -- really nice gal. If the price is right, this would definitely be a winner. The units have a full-size stove and refrigerator. People like to bake, she says, so why now, these people should be able to enjoy their retirement !! her words!