Atria Willow Glen - San Jose, CA

Atria Willow Glen provides all the comforts of home in a resort-like community. Invite family and friends to enjoy a walk through courtyards with lush landscaping and koi ponds, or take an outing to nearby downtown San Jose. Atria Willow Glen offers easy access to shopping, banks, medical facilities, parks, museums and entertainment.

License #435200605

Outstanding Care

This is a great place for my wife . The community is clean and the staff are outstanding. They offer a nice variety of meals to choose from. They have activities that are offered to the residents. We would recommend this community for good care and a nice value.

This was a beautiful property. However, the footprint for the assisted living area did not allow any freedom. We would have to hire someone just to allow my in-laws to go outside.

Kate Vance

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on your experience at Atria Willow Glen. I’m sorry to hear that the building footprint didn’t meet your in-laws needs. If you have any additional comments to share, you can reach us at [removed]

Not the Right Fit

They were a good community and in the mater of trying to fit into what was being offered and finding a good fit for brother was a new experience to me. On the tour they were pretty much professional and friendly. I went through the whole community. It was helpful to have a list of communities to visit from A Place For Mom. This was not the right fit.

A community to look into

Atria Willow was a nice community and left a positive impression when we toured. I would recommend them.

A nice facility in an older established community. They are renovating each apartment as they become available. It has nicely manicured grounds but requires residents to walk outside to get to the main area for meals and activities. A plus on nice days and minus on cold or rainy days. The facility is dated and the apartments are on the small side.

A finalist for my in-laws. Great location, nice facility, large apartments and good variety of activities and services.

A nice place if you like to go outside.

I liked the setting of this community. The grounds were nice if you like to go outdoors. This community was clean and the staff I met were nice.

This facility made it to our final list of top two places! After a second tour, my mother regretfully decided that her vision was not good enough to navigate the numerous outdoor paths between buildings. However, we are telling all of her friends about Atria Willow Glen because it is just a beautiful facility with many great programs and staff!

Positives: Super friendly staff, vibrant community building, friendly residents. Food program looks great.
Cons: Because Ind Living section is not licensed as "medical" no medication mgmt or other low-need assisted living help can be provided to residents in ind living. Having to walk outside to get to meals. Having to move to assisted living end of the property if you need more care.

Kate Vance

Thanks for visiting. I'm glad you had an opportunity to meet our great team and wonderful residents. Our licensure does have limits but we are happy to discuss the levels of care we can provide. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly at [removed].

Highly Recommend !!

I was very pleased with the tour my loved one and I received of this community. The administration was very welcoming and made sure to answer any questions my loved one and I had in detail. I have no complaints and would highly recommend this facility.

Helpful and Caring

Atria provides a warm, relaxing, and caring environment for seniors. Everyone who works, there from the janitorial and kitchen staff to the medical staff, is helpful, friendly and attentive. I highly recommend Atria Willow Glen.

It Is So Nice Here

I have been living at this community for some time and I like it here. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and respectful at all times of the day. My room is nice and always kept clean with weekly cleaning and my own tidying up. There are lots to do here and we even have a bus to go shopping or for outings. I also like the food that is served to me, I think it is tasty with enough to fill me up. I would recommend this community.

Review of Atria Willow Glen - San Jose, CA

Atria is a great location however the apartments are dated and not what we are looking for

Review of Atria Willow Glen - San Jose, CA

We toured this facility last week and my mom was very impressed. It was our first tour so we will continue looking but I think this will be high on her list!

A Place for Mom referred us to Atria Willow Glen

Mom is very happy here. The staff are caring and friendly. The residents are welcoming, too. She is enjoying the activities and freedom from housekeeping tasks. She feels safe and protected.

A Great Place for Mom

My mom is 89. She moved to Atria from The Villages in February after surgery in December. Her health is good but she is unable to maintain a home and no longer drives. The Atria is the perfect place for her season of life. She is more active and excited about each day than she has been in several years. Atria's staff, activities, location, and value are an answer to prayer. They celebrate life, include family, and treat residents as adults and with respect. Thank you Atria and A Place for Mom (who were instrumental in helping us find this senior living community.)

Uplifting!!!

After touring multiple Memory Care facilities. I found Atria of Willow Glen to be the best ever.
very clean and well organized. The residents seemed happy.
I didn't walk away feeling depressed.
I would highly recommend Atria and commend their staff.

Things are going okay, but we aren't 100 percent.

Things are going okay, but we aren't 100 percent. We have found that they seem to be okay, but the activities seem to be really lacking in terms of enthusiasm and excitement, they don't seem to be doing much in terms of keeping them physically active. They don't seem to follow scheduled timing, and there is a level of attention to detail, that is lacking. The weekend in particular is severely understaffed. I don't think they are used to having a family so involved. I think they are well intended and they seem like they are trying to make changes, and work with us. The food is good and it's very clean. I do like that they take them to interact with the independent living side, if they can.

Get involved!

The grounds are great and the independent living side is also very good. The dementia care leaves something to be desired. There is little attention to detail and a lack of enthusiasm which translates to a fairly boring environment for those residents that are higher functioning.

I would recommend that anyone with a family member in dementia care become involved and make frequent visits to monitor if all needs are being met.

Katy Miller

We strive to exceed your expectations and so we appreciate when our families share with us. We have shared your concerns about your parents with the community and welcome you to reach us at [removed] if you would like to share more with us.

really good experience

Overall Atria Willow Glen is a really friendly place. The meals are very good, and it is very comfortable. It has been a really good experience.

we didn't walk down to the 'assisted living' area of the community, but the feel of the independent living which is closest to the dining area was very inviting and busy with residents on Saturday afternoon. People chatting and enjoying the outside areas.

I love how outdoorsy and woodsy it is.

I think the place is really great. It has a calming and quiet atmosphere. I think the new resident orientation could of been a little better. Maybe the orientation ambassador wasn't feeling well that day. The staff is very nice. The place is clean. I love how outdoorsy and woodsy it is. The Atria Willow Glen is a nice community. We are very pleased with the services. Everything has been going well.

It was a good experience

Overall, it was a good experience. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The value is pretty good overall, and the community is very clean.

5 stars

The Atria Willow Glen is a nice community. It is very well kept, clean, and fresh. The staff and residents are very friendly. I would recommend Atria Willow Glen. It is a very nice and clean facility.

Nice

I was impressed by how welcoming and pleasant everyone is. I like it here very much.

Impressed with the cleanliness and the visual setting.

This is one of the places we considered. We were impressed with the cleanliness and the visual setting. I ended up choosing a different Atria facility due to circumstances, and locale. The other Atria didn't seem to be as connected and coordinated with approaching a new client, which was a complete 180 from my experience with this Atria.

made dad feel comfortable

They have really made dad feel comfortable. He considers it his home now, and they have really made him feel at home.

It is sometimes kind of hard to get a hold of their administrative staff. They do not have a voice mail, and that makes it hard to reach them.

My dad really enjoys the food and the care he is receiving is great.

Kate Vance

We realize how difficult it can be to move to a new environment and get comfortable right away – we are overjoyed to hear that your dad feels at home at our community! We love hearing from our families as they can provide such valuable feedback on how we can continue to improve and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your thoughts. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors but in the meantime, if you would like to reach out directly to discuss communication concerns, please email us at [email protected], including “Atria Willow Glen” in your subject line, and we will have someone connect with you. We are here to help!

Review of Atria Willow Glen Alzheimer's / Memory Care in San Jose, CA

Tour on Tuesday September 16 received all important documents. Nice independent living community will be on my consideration list after visiting remainder of your suggestions.

The Atria Willow Glen is a wonderful ...

The Atria Willow Glen is a wonderful place. The grounds are gorgeous, which is what attracted me to this facility. Overall, I'm pleased.

Very close to me and my sis...

Very close to me and my sister. Offers most of the same amenities other units provide. Lots of open spaces. Studio perfect size with kitchenette. All rooms have balcony or patio. Comfortable. Clean. Staff is easy to talk to, welcoming. Mom could start out in independent living. Assistant living is pricey. But, mom does not need that level of care at this time. Small concern of mom needing to walk more, but I think that would be good for her. Has a pool. She could do water aerobics! Bingo. Ice cream every afternoon! She would love it.

A son's opinion

The facility is somewhat aged and has the basic amenities. It is well maintained. The grounds are well maintained and provide a serine setting for the residents, with plenty of walking room and areas to sit. One Bedroom apartments are fairly small, however, have ample closet space.

The help staff is very friendly and I have witnessed an eagerness to help. They appear to know, by name, everyone in the community. My one comment is that there should be more assistance in transitioning new members into the community - a kind of big sister or big brother program - help with understanding the programs, how to take part in the community. My mom commented several times on the fact that information was not forthcoming or inconsistent. New resident orientation is not soon enough. This resulted in my mom having a very poor first impression of the community and a negative attitude.

The food service is fair. In the few times our family has dined with mom (main dining room), the food and the service was inconsistent - cold, not what was requested (side dishes or condiments), long wait times. Based on my experience and comments received from my mom, the wait staff does not listen or does not provide clarification. Some examples - ordered a diner roll (received slice of bread), ordered mustard and onions (received Ketchup and relish), ordered baked potato (received potato with no condiments - butter etc., and was not asked if it was wanted when ordered.

Laundry facilities in each of the resident buildings seem to small - only one set of washer/dryer. Wait times are very long.

Kate Vance

It is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying our community and wonderful staff. While we love receiving praise for what we do well, we are always willing to look at areas that might need improvement and we certainly appreciate your feedback. I am sorry if your mother was not connected with a resident ambassador soon enough after her move in to help with her transition and for any dining mishaps that have occurred. Your review will be shared with the appropriate directors to ensure we are looking in to those areas and improving upon the services we provide. If we are able to help you further, please feel free to contact us directly at [removed], including “Atria Willow Glen” so that we may quickly include the right people in the correspondence.

Of the three facilities I s...

Of the three facilities I saw today, this was the best one. Nice location. A little older but staff is willing to transition from assisted to memory care. Residents seemed happy: waved and said hello. Liked the look and size of apartments. Think Mom would like.

My Experience with Atria Willow Glen

Atria Willow Glen is basically a good place for an elderly person with dementia. They have group activities every day. Some are for mental stimulation, and some for physical conditioning. They have a very pleasant, large, enclosed back yard with great shade trees. They do many activities outside in good weather. They do a good job of administering the meds, and keeping the residents clean.

On the negative side, I think their food is not top notch and the portions are quite small. They also kept the residents seated at the table waiting for the food to arrive for a long time (maybe 20-30 minutes or so). Another negative is that many residents end up using a community bathroom with only one toilet when they are downstairs for eating or for activities, which is a large part of the day. And that bathroom would fairly frequently be dirty, because someone had used it before a cleanup person would get to it.

Many of the bedrooms are shared with 2 or 3 people, with one bathroom. And the air conditioning doesn't reach all bedrooms well at all. However, when I complained about that, they did install an air conditioner in my husband's room after about 2 or 3 months.

LaDawn K.

I’m glad that you have been satisfied with the variety of activities we offer, and I would like to address the concerns you mention in your review. It is our goal to excel in all areas, including the dining experience. It sounds like you may have suggestions to improve our meal options and we would love to hear from you. I would like to assure you that those who live with us can always order additional items in our dining room. We want to make sure that our residents are satisfied with their meals, both the options offered and the quantity provided. Regarding the public restroom, many residents live on the first floor and tend to use their own unit's bathrooms, but we will certainly make additional efforts to ensure that the public restroom is always clean. When a private apartment is not feasible for a resident, we offer a semi-private setting where each individual has their own bedroom but shares a bathroom. The resident and their family determine which apartment type is best for their situation. The air conditioning in our apartments exists in the living room, but we are happy to accommodate special requests, which take 2-3 weeks to complete. We look forward to hearing your suggestions. Please contact our community directly by phone at [removed] or via email at [removed], and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line.

Not Very Friendly

I did tour this one and I felt like they were not as friendly to the people that lived there. They kind of ignored certain people and there were other things like if you had a car, it's not coverd parking so your car will get dumped on.

LaDawn K.

We appreciate your feedback, and we are very sorry for any perception of unfriendliness on behalf of our staff. The relationships between our residents and staff are very important to us, and we will certainly discuss your review in an effort to improve our community wherever necessary. I also apologize for the lack of covered parking. Some parking areas will obviously be less prone to messes than others, and our residents with cars tend to choose their parking carefully. If you would like to provide any further information or suggestions, please email us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Much Better Since The New Chef!

When my mom first moved in the food was terrible and the dining was not that great. Ever since they hired Rich, the new master chef, everything has been great. There was a lot of salt in the preparation of the food and they're starting to cut that down. My mom loves the place. She says the cost is well worth it. She goes on the driving trips. It's nice but they need another transportation vehicle becuase there are only 13 seats in the van so it fills up right away and some people that sign up for the trip don't get to go. They've told her that they're working on that.

The only problem was the dining and they're getting that together. They also need a bigger dining room for the amount of people that are there.

LaDawn K.

I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying the culinary talents of our chef! We want to make sure that your mom is enjoying her dining experience. Our dining room offers all-day dining to allow residents to choose their preferred time to eat with friends. As with any restaurant, some times might be busier than others. Regarding our community’s transportation, we have a 13-seat bus, a 10-seat bus, and a town car. The largest bus generally has space available for trips as some people who sign up are not able to go. We usually have a waiting list to fill those spaces. We value your continued feedback. If there are any questions we can answer or concerns we can address, please let us know by calling us at [removed] or emailing [removed] (be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line).

Home like atmosphere

We chose Atria because it is very conveniently located it is only 10 minutes from my house. The atmosphere here is very home like and does not feel like an institution. My mother will be sharing an apartment with two old ladies but will have her own room. With her being in her own room it allows her to bring some of their own furnisher. They provide different levels of care and are a really age in place community. The menu looks like they offer a wide range of meals. My sister and I just felt like this was the best fit for our mom.

Very nice facility... great...

Very nice facility... great senior living and assisted living apts, but assisted living is a bit expensive. Independent apts with contracted care is a reasonable cost but no apartments available for a while.

very nice, but a bit above ...

very nice, but a bit above our budget

Liked the yard area with gardening. ...

Liked the yard area with gardening. Liked the restaurant and the all day dining options. Not sure we liked that there is a separate dining area for memory care residents, although dad could go to the restaurant. Residences were in 2-story buildings. Rooms are set-up in standard hallway orientation. 1 bedroom apartment was bigger than Belmont Village's. Bring in your own furnishings. Overall decor fine, but not as nice as Belmont. Cost for memory care was 7,500 per month if get in by Feb. Rate would hold for 2013, then go up to 9,000 month in 2014. Avg increase is 5% per year

OKAY PLACE.

OKAY PLACE.

She and I like. Nice garden setting,...

She and I like. Nice garden setting, housing unilts well spaced. Not tall bldng.

Very nice, second only to Merrill Gar...

Very nice, second only to Merrill Gardens.

My mother lived here and I was able t...

My mother lived here and I was able to see a lot as I visited often. They offer many activities, have a hairdresser, a really nice diningroom (food is good) and I liked the "anytime fridge". I thought the Atria offered everything a person needs.

Very nice. Nice landscaping Apt. sma...

Very nice. Nice landscaping Apt. small-especially the bathroom.Main concern is distance from apt. to dining area for MAR. Outdoor Parking - not close. Didn't try the food, but the chef gave us a pie to take home.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear that you found our community to be welcoming, and I would like to address your concern about the distance from the apartments to the dining area. Our grounds include seven acres with mature beautiful landscaping, a koi pond, a heated pool, courtyards, fruit trees, and areas which are set aside specifically for enjoying the outdoors. This is a big part of what makes our community unique and what appeals to our residents. Assisted living residents have their own dining room in the same building as their apartments, all of which are very close to the dining room. We also offer complimentary room service on rainy days. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in the subject line.

Nice units, quiet location. Like havi...

Nice units, quiet location. Like having the swimming pool.

Within walking distance of starbucks,...

Within walking distance of starbucks, post office, nail place, safeway. Walking/biking distance from our house! Security would be major question...units all have outside access.

LaDawn K.

We appreciate your review and I would like to provide some details about the security of our building. Because all of our buildings are secure, residents need either a “clicker” or key to access their building and guests are granted access from someone inside the building. Additionally, we have a private security company which patrols the grounds at different times during the night, as well as caregivers who remain on site 24/7. Each apartment has an emergency pull cord and each resident also has a pendant with an emergency button. If we can answer further questions, please contact us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in the subject line.

sounds great.nearGood shep ch.

sounds great.nearGood shep ch.

Would consider selecting this one.

Would consider selecting this one.

Checked this one out as well. Lovely...

Checked this one out as well. Lovely place and very cool. Unfortunately there are no menu options here.

Very nice property room and people. W...

Very nice property room and people. We liked it, though it's definitely on the high end of the price range.

Huge! People living there were quite ...

Huge! People living there were quite friendly! Some had been there for twenty-plus years and were still traveling. Shabby is too strong a word, but the heating arrangement, for example, left something to be desired. 4 stars from me.