Memory Care Cottages of White Bear - White Bear Lake, MN

New place, friendly staff, but you need to check on your loved one

We were given a nice tour of the cottage in White Bear Lake where our parent would live. Staff seemed friendly. Soft music played in a sitting area. Not all residents were visible. There is a caring pastor on duty. There is an activity person. There is also a therapy dog that will visit with residents. It's rather new, so everything looks nice. But.... We had some negative experiences once we signed up for our parent to live there. We were told that our parent could be cared for even with other medical issues. However staff needed reminders about how to deal with the other medical issues. We found out that unless family or friends are there often to check in and find out more about what is going on, things will not be taken care of. We observed there to be less staff on duty than is needed on more than several occasions (just one staff to care for an entire cottage is not enough staff), our parent was left soiled in bed, uncovered, waiting for assistance, and a meal plan that is far from nutritious (chips at least 3 times a week for the supper meal (instead of rice, potato, break or noodles) along with kool -aid or something similar for meals instead of milk or real fruit juice). Family is welcome to join residents for a meal so one of us was there almost every night and witnessed the poor nutritional quality (due to chips and kool aid). If safety/welfare checks needed to be completed on the hour, they were not adhered to for our parent. Letters to management needed to be written to get complaints taken care of and even then follow up reminders needed to be made. It was a very frustrating experience to have our parent live here. It costs thousands of dollars a month, but the value of care, meals, activities and care doesn't add up to the amount being paid. There were many times that temp agency staff were on duty who didn't have any idea about the specific cares needed for specific residents.
Extra money is paid ahead of living there. You must pay for two full weeks after your loved one dies or moves. It doesn't take that long to move the belongings out of a small room.

Great place!

Very upfront and very positive about services they can provide. My dad has been there over a month and our expectations have been met beyond what we expected for a new location. Everytime we come, we are more that pleased with dad's status and the staff who are on duty. They understand the issues involved in dementia and are very assertive in meeting those needs.

Great place!

Confidence in caring for my dad!

very deliberate in learning about my dad's needs and timely interventions as needed. Gives me confidence that they want to meet my dad's needs in a timely and appropriate fashion.

Excellent setting for my father with multiple needs!

Although my father has only been there a brief amount of time we have been impressed how thorough all staff have been in getting to know his needs and providing them. They have also been great in contacting us for anything they needed in their efforts!