Maplewood at Newtown - Newtown, CT

Caring Place!

Maplewood at Newtown is a great place. The staff is so friendly and they really seem to care. They were very accommodating and answered our needs right away. They take such good care of my loved one here. The food is great and when I sit with the residents while they are eating they are talking and so happy. They post a list of scheduled activities to choose from each day. There are so many activities to choose from. They have the residents making flowers, painting, have their hair and nails done. They take them on outings. Some of the activities have fees, but many are included. Their commitment to the care of the residents is truly wonderful, they even stayed through the night during the snow storms. I feel that she is in a very safe environment and well-taken care.

Look Elsewhere

This place is understaffed at all levels and the staff talks openly about it. The aides, nurses, dining staff and the activities staff are very friendly and call all the residents by name. The management is terrible and does not adequately address concerns. Communication is poor at best- there are no processes in place to communicate residents needs in between departments and back to families.

Meet with Staff Before The Move In

Beautiful facility, staff very friendly, patients very friendly, BUT.. no communication WITHIN staff: different opinions or reports to us from SAME staff or different answers regarding a problem from DIFFERENT staff. Although staff was pleasant, I didn't feel they knew or remembered to care for them as people with unique types of Dementia at different levels. At times they were disheveled, their apartment was dirty, and we still were doing nursing care. when visiting. ADVICE: Before moving your parent(s) in, meet with staff, go over their medical history, their meds, what works, what they need help in, who they should call, and who YOU can call, This will help with a smooth transition, avoid unnecessary problems, and make this work.

Seems very nice so far!

My loved ones have only been here a short time, but so far we're all very impressed with Maplewood at Newtown! My loved ones seem happier and more relaxed now that they are getting some help, and my family is much more at ease knowing that they've got someone looking in on them. The staff here made the entire move-in process very easy, they really helped with the paperwork, and even helped my loved ones hang some paintings once they were settled in!

Great place!

My mother has mild dementia. She was living independently until 91 years old, still strong and able to take care of herself. She began to show signs of paranoia and mild dementia. Because she was so independent, the other facilities that we looked at decided that she needed to be in a 24 hour locked unit with Alzheimer's patients (this is for someone who was able to shop, cook, clean on her own)! Basically they were afraid she would simply leave and were not concerned about what was right for her, but what was easiest for them. Maplewood was a different story. They took my mother into a unit where she is able to interact with all of the residents regardless of their mental status. She can eat and participate in activities with everyone. But, they do provide extra assistance when she is stressed or paranoid. Her wing is locked at night, but not during the rest of the day. I can't speak more highly of Maplewood's devotion to meeting my mother's needs. The staff is amazingly kind. The food is fabulous. My mother still wishes that she could live independently, but she can't and I thank God for Maplewood.

This is an all over excellent community.

This is an all over excellent community. It's clean and the staff is friendly. I would recommend this to anyone for their loved one.

Maplewood Newtown Decline

Maplewood has declined in the past few years in terms of service yet costs increased. This is unfortunate since they were on an improvement path as a turnaround story. Facilities are nice but the very thing that elders need with experienced and caring providers has diminished. A very qualified, and key employee, (activities director) who left was finally replaced after several months by a college student with no experience. The reason for taking so long was that they were "carefully screening applicants". Activities are half hearted. Residents are not encouraged to join, events are left unattended or don't even happen. Results suggest that they were looking for a low cost entry employee. Aid staff are nice but seem overworked and therefore not able to provide care as advertised. And are told not to talk to families. Staff in dining are very nice but food is sometimes overcooked and tastes like leftovers. Yet they advertise farm to market. The good news is that the facility has recently been cleaned and painted outside. I guess that's where the price increases were invested.

Very nice community!

My loved one hasn't moved in quite yet, but after all of my tours and the work I've done with the staff I've had nothing but good experiences with Maplewood! The facility itself is well kept, clean, and very nice looking. The staff, from the caregivers to the administration, have all been very friendly and easy to work with.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We are happy to learn of your current experience with Maplewood at Newtown. Our number one priority is always to provide residents and families with the very best care and attention. Please let us know - always -- what we can do to improve.

Very nice looking, but not impressed with the staff

This place looked incredibly, it was like a nice country club. Everything was clean and well kept. However, during the tour we noticed that the staff were not very friendly with the residents, they seemed irritated with them. The residents just didn't seem happy in general, and we didn't feel like it would have been a good atmosphere for our loved ones.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We're so sorry to learn about your disappointing visit. We would love to be able to connect with you about specifics so we can improve our guests' experiences. If you'd like to share more, please email us at [removed] and someone from our management team will contact you.

Mid-Level Memory Care Program Available

It's okay. My mother has Alzheimer's so nowhere is going to be perfect but she's getting good care. It's very clean and they're very friendly. The cost is very expensive, I have to say, but it's expensive everywhere. They're probably one of the more reasonable places. They do have a Tides program which is a mid level memory care program. My mom spends some time in that but mostly she's in the memory care.

Nice Place, Nice People

My mom really liked this place but when she went to visit another, that was just the right place for her. It's nothing against Maplewood which is a beautiful place and the people were awful nice.

Very Elderly Residents

This place had a very elderly population and they seemed much more quiet and less active because of their age. There were a lot more wheelchair bound people here. It's not the kind of crowd my brother would fit in with.

NICE! Great location, nice country s...

NICE! Great location, nice country setting. As nice as Brandywine but newer or newly remodelled.10 year old facility, remodelled 2 years ago.Willing to negotiate some on price.

Visited and was very impressed by thi...

Visited and was very impressed by this facility.

Maplewood at Newtown has much to offer residents and families -- from the sunlit lobby and resort-style couryard to the helpful concierge service and family-friendly country store. Thoughtfully laid-out apartments, designed specifically for older adults, are beautifully appointed and feature modern kitchenettes with granite countertops, private bathrooms and state of the art safety features. Common areas such as the pub and movie screening room are perfect for family visits.

Maplewood at Newtown provides a healthy, invigorating enviornment for all seniors as well as specialized assistance for those in need of memory care. The heart of Maplewood is embodied through our Vistas assisted living program, which offers premier care to seniors who need some support in their everyday lives. Maplewood also offers two neighborhoods that provide support to those needing memory support. Tides is a safe environment for those experiencing early signs of memory loss, in which they can live a life of supported independence. Currents uses and emotion-based philosophy that helps residents with more [b]advanced memory loss continue to enjoy life to their maximum potential.

For added peace of mind, our licensed nurses are on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.