Lakewood Gardens - Downey, CA

Good size bedroom, bathroom, and closets. Nice gardening activities and other activities for residents. Safe environment. Night monitoring every 2 hours. Dining area was good size and accommodates different eating skill levels. Friendly staff.

[Removed] is a nice person. Not attractive for early dementia persons. Too isolated and barred off. Residents were not active.

Seeing What They Offered

They were good when we had a tour with with community. I thought they were friendly and professional. I saw they had some activities going on while walking through the community. Nothing was wrong here except having smaller rooms and they reason why we did not choose them.

Ended With Good Care

My loved one was apart of this community for a month. It was a good experience for the care that was provided. I would recommend their services to a family in need.

The staff are very good!!!

Mom loves living at this community and said we could not have chosen a better place. The staff are helpful and take the time to explain things. They offer some family involved activities and mom seems to enjoy the singing. She complains about the food sometimes but she likes some of it. The community and her room are clean and the grounds are well maintained. We are very pleased with this community and I have already recommended it.

My Father In Law's Care

My father in law is in great care with the excellent staff at this community. We are happy with how clean the community is. They are keeping him involved with alot of activities. We are recommending this community to other families.

Mom Is Doing Alright Here

So far everything is going pretty well for my mother here at this community. She is doing well here, and I'am pleased. I know she is safe and in good hands here. They are providing her with good care.

A great place for the cost!

My loved one is doing really well since moving into Lakewoods. He has made new friends. The staff are nice , friendly and keep us updated on his care. The food is terrible and the community is average when it comes to cleanliness. I would recommend this community to family and friends.

Not The Way I Expected

My mom was staying here at this community and they are a very clean facility. The staff ratio could use more improvement, I feel there was not enough care to be provided. There were some activities available, I did notice all entertainment took place in an open room. Overall the community is all around really good but there are equipment provided to make care easier for residents.

One of the selling points was the activities!!

I would recommend Lakewood Gardens but I would also say it is not a perfect fit for everyone. My grandma is losing weight so I do not think she likes the food as she does eat when I bring her food. The staff are nice and take good care of her. The community is clean and well maintained. There are activities available but they do not encourage her to participate in them.

Wonderful Place To Move Too

This is truly a wonderful community with great people. My aunt was cared for very well at this facility. She is not in the hospital, but her time here was great, The community is very nice and everything looks spotless. The staff is wonderful, they are very nice and caring. They were very responsive to my concerns. They do offer activities for the residents and she did like the food, the meals were nice. It is a very nice facility and I would recommend it.

I would use Lakewood Gardens again!!!

My mom was at the community for respite care and she really enjoyed it. The staff are very welcoming and they also personalize the care for the residents. The Manager was also a great resource and made us feel very comfortable with the community. She enjoyed the food and was involved in many activities during her stay there. I cannot say enough about the community itself as it is very well maintained and welcoming. I would and have recommended Lakewood Gardens to people and we would definitely return to this community.

Mom is happy

Lakewood Gardens takes good care of mom. The staff is very friendly but there is no communication system in place. It's like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. There have been a couple of times that medication has not been administered because the staff thought there was none to provide. The meds had actually been left with a different shift staff and did not advise or document that the meds were available for mom. Now we need to be alert so more meds are not purchased and billed to mom. This is an easy fix and look forward to it being taken care of.
Mom is very happy being a resident at Lakewood Gardens. She has made some very good friends with the staff and residents. We are very satisfied with mom's care.

I'm hoping it gets better.

I am willing to work with Lakewood to make sure these issues we've endured are rectified but currently I am a bit bothered. I assisted with getting my sister into the community and since moving in she has been in the hospital and under a diabetic coma due to miscommunication and not medicating her appropriately as instructed. The aid said that she didn't even know my sister was diabetic when it's clearly in her chart. So for now my rating is not the best but I am hoping it gets better.

Great Overall Care

Our mother receives good care at Lakewood Gardens. She has made friends with the staff and residents. Mom initially said after a week, that she was ready to go home. Now she mentions how much she likes it there.

Since this was our first time, we were unaware of the need to label all of mom's clothing and belongings. This has been taken care of with embroidered name labels.

We are very grateful for Lakewood Gardens for the care they provide

Much happier here

We are much happier here. The place she was at was a nightmare and this is much better for us.

Lakewood Gardens is truly a wonderful place to leave your loved one in their care.

My Mother-in-Law was a resident at Lakewood Gardens from last October 2014, until the end of May, 2015, when she passed away. We could not have been more pleased with the excellent care she was given while at Lakewood Gardens. From Management there at Lakewood Gardens to the Med Tech staff to the Caregivers, she was in excellent care. The professionalism, compassion and dedication they exhibit daily towards the residents in their care, is what is so truly remarkable and special about this place. On the day of my Mother-in-Law's passing, her caregivers all lined up at her door to come in and each give my husband and I their condolences, as well as all gather to say their farewells to my Mother-in-Law at her bedside. We were incredibly touched by this gesture, as we'd never encountered anything like it before. My husband and I both highly recommend Lakewood Gardens to anyone out there looking to place their loved one in a facility where they know their loved one will be well taken care of and made to feel special.

Friendly

I would say this is a good facility in this area. They have helped my loved cope and feel like home. They even include us family into almost everything. The food is great and activities are too. The rooms are always nice and clean.

Nice place, very friendly staff

Overall we're very pleased with how things have gone with Lakewood Gardens. The staff are all very helpful and friendly, and they have been take great care of my loved one. We felt like at her previous facility she was being overmedicated, and that is not an issue here, she has been much more lucid. They are definitely worth a look if you're looking into senior care in the area!

Super Place

Everything is fine and they are doing. My Mom stays there and she is very happy. She eats very well and the food is great. They offer lots of activities and the administration is wonderful. They are very flexible and work with you when needed. Feels more like a family type environment. I'd give them an overall rating of four and half stars.

My experience with Lakewood Gardens h...

My experience with Lakewood Gardens has been good. I'm very satisfied with their services. No issues, no complaints.

Not high functioning reside...

Not high functioning residents. Did not like the dining room and the food was set out before the residents arrived at the table. Dated facility. Outdoor patio and grass area is nice.

Beautiful, friendly, and clean!

What a great place! It is very clean and the staff is excellent. They were friendly and I can tell that they really care about their residents. The level of care they provide is topnotch, and they offer lots of activities. I have absolutely no complaints about the community itself, but I am a bit wary on the price. It is a bit out of the family's budget. Other than that, I would want to move my mother here.

It was perfect. It was a very good place for my brother.

It was perfect. It was a very good place for my brother. I recommend them to all my friends or family, if there is any need of that. For the activities and the care and the cleanliness, and the value was perfect. The food was really good, I was almost tempted to eat there. The people were so nice. Colleen was a great help with getting the Dr. to finish the paperwork. He was really happy there, and he was really clean. He was always clean shaven and always had clean clothes, and never had an odor. They had beautiful Gardens and sliding doors so they could go into the gardens, yet still very safe.

Caring & Clean

I have had a very pleasant overall experience with this facility. All of the administrators and staff are very caring. They have a lot of activities for their patients and the patient rooms are very large and clean. Over all I would definitely recommend this facility for a loved one.

I was so impressed by the a...

I was so impressed by the attention, how spacious and clean the entire residence was. Here I feel my dad can be himself and be able to do what he loves most, walk. It felt like it can be heaven for him and us knowing that he will be lovingly cared for and not to mention how close he would be from all his family. We live in Downey! To top it off the staff was absolutely amazing! I hope he gets the final ok.

Very impressed with this fa...

Very impressed with this facility. Would have selected this location but feel that my wife requires a more intimate setting because of her advanced condition.

Lakewood Gardens Review

My mother was in a dementia care facility where she simply was not thriving. With assistance from "A Place For Mom" I found Lakewood Gardens. I was given a tour, and from that experience, I was pretty much sold on moving her. She has been there about 6 weeks, and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

My mom's room is bright and cheerful. The hallways are the same, and provide space for residents to easily move about. There are many areas of activity, and I see them in use nearly every time I visit my mom. The 'activity room' is the place where something is always going on and my mom seems to gravitate there when she isn't walking the spacious hallways.
She has come to life again since moving to Lakewood Gardens, and though she has dementia, her personality has been revived.

No matter the time of day I visit, residents are clean, as are the rooms and hallways. My mom is always appropriately groomed. The security system is impressive and I feel that my mom is in a safe environment as well as a clean and cheerful one.

The staff, (all inclusive) are caring, and loving to the residents. When I arrive, there is someone always available at the desk, and when I call someone always answers my question of how my mom is doing.

I've met several family members of residents and each one has echoed my thoughts about my mom being there. Even residents' family members are kind to the other residents. It's a really wonderful environment and I am so glad my mom lives there now.

Older Population

This might sound bad but I think I would put my mother there to die. The end of life care was excellent. I think they're only memory care. They had a lot of openings but their population was substantially older. I just think that for now my mother needed a different environment. It seemed like the staff was very caring and concerned. They were definitely reasonably priced.

A Good Choice!

I have been very pleased with my selection of Lakewood Gardens as a residence for my wife who has Alzheimer's. The environment is pleasant, both open and inviting. The staff is very considerate of all the residents (and their visitors as well) and you can see the love and caring through their words and actions. Individuals are treated as individuals, each one having different needs depending on their condition. I have always been notified of changes in medication or other significant events, and they always are also concerned about how I am doing, as well as taking care of my wife..

Very Open Communication

We chose Lakewood Gardens because the head administrator made a great first impression on me and the cost of the community. I couldn't be happier with them. I think it is wonderful that they answer every phone call without it having to go to voicemail. When there is any issue not matter how small it is they still call me just so that I know about it. They maintain a very open line of communication with me. They really go above and beyond to let me know what is going on. I am very pleased with them and would recommend them.

It's good so far...

We moved my dad here from another memory care and it's been good for him so far. There is good communication between my brother, myself, and the caregivers. There are things about the disease that I don't understand like's what is normal and what isn't and they're good about keeping me informed. It's hard to say what the value is because I really don't have much to compare it to but for the most part, I think he's being well taken care of. They go into the activity room everyday.

So far, it's good.

What a blessing

After many weeks of learning on a curve, we truly believe that we found a place that considers the resident first. We are only in to this by about three weeks after our father took care of mom for years. He never let on just how bad it had gotten. We believe that we have made a good decision for our mothe by coming to Lakewood Gardens. Not because of convenience since we do have to drive to Downey from Torrance each day we visit mom, but because they understand and work with us in our mothers care. It's not easy, whether you take care of your mom at home or she is in a residence. But if you establish a relationship with the staff and administration of any facility and feel that it is a good fit for you and gives you peace of mind, go with it. Ours went with Lakewood Gardens, Colleen Turner and all the staff there! Thank You

The nicest facility I've seen so far ...

The nicest facility I've seen so far and the best equiped for dementia patients.

Beautiful facility, lots of structure...

Beautiful facility, lots of structured activities, very knowledgable about dementia, goal is to stimulate cognitive ablities, hospice waiver, assisted living-no mediCal, doctor comes to site-takes health net. Director is awesome!

Very clean, friendly staff. Alzheimer...

Very clean, friendly staff. Alzheimers/dementia care only. All inclusive price. Large layout, a bit more clinical looking, med carts were well controlled. Fwy close (5/105) location for other family members to visit. Easy to commute by greenline, walking distance from Lakewood Bl Greenline station.

too institutional. Activities every h...

too institutional. Activities every half hour, lots of staff, indoor courtyards for walking, personal furniture ok. They use Shower room for daily showers.

Lakewood Gardens specializes in caring for individuals with Alzheimer's and other related Dementias by providing your loved one with a safe and cheerful environment designed to ensure their comfort. Tenderness and compassion along with specialized assistance and supervision are provided 24-hours a day by sensitive, professional staff and secure, supportive surroundings.

Lakewood Gardens encourages and empowers its residents to regain and / or maintain their emotional, physical and social skills.

We provide a structured program of assistance from a network of community professionals, and through planned activities by a professional and caring staff.