Iliff Nursing & Rehab Ctr - Dunn Loring, VA

Wanted it to be worth the U.S. News' 5 Star Rating

The place is old and shabby. They don't have intercom system so the patients ring the bell and must wait until a nurse gets around to responding. There is no one to find out what the patient may need to see if assistance is needed immediately or not. The overnight staff is mostly male and my mother didn't like having a male nurse. She is of a different generation when men just aren't supposed to handle women's private needs. I was afraid to leave my mom there the first night because I was afraid that if she woke up and got confused she might have tried to get out of bed and fallen and no one would hear her call out. The staff were kind enough but again, it is a matter of personal comfort. The thing I hated was that during the time when most people were sleeping or going to sleep,there was so much activity in the halls it was ridiculous. Staff speaking with other staff in loud voices, calling out for staff members when they were not in the hall rather than walking around to find them and things like that made me feel like there was no respect for the patients. I can't comment about the food because we arrived after dinner was served and therefore didn't get any. Fortunately my mother had eaten in the hospital before she got moved. I also cannot comment on the therapy because this is all from one night so I don't know yet if it is good or bad. I am hoping I can find another better facility and get my mother moved so she doesn't have to stay here a minute longer then necessary.