Living in a New Culture

We have been living here now for nearly six months and we love it. We live in a cottage which meets our needs extremely well. We wanted at least two bedrooms so our family can visit us. It is laid out perfectly with their own bathroom. We have another room which I turned into my study with desks, computer, printer, bookshelves and storage. The staff is wonderful. They are friendly with all, helpful in every way, care about you and tolerant of our new puppy who wags his tail on all. We are enjoying getting to know so many residents and have been able to develop friends from so many backgrounds. I can summarize it this way: My wife and I are thankful to have a place that meets our needs into which we enjoy awakening daily.

Very Nice, but Too Many Stairs

I toured at Hidden Lakes when I was looking for a new place for myself. I really liked the community, and I thought that the person giving the tour was very nice and informative, however, I did not like that the community had so many stairs, so I knew it would not be the best fit for me.

I toured this community

We went on a tour here for my mom. The staff was nice and friendly. They answered all of our questions. It looked nice and clean in there. But my mom said it was to fancy for her, she is more down to earth for that.

Various trips in the local area

I was initially recommended this community through a mother of a friend and she had told me good things about the community. The people are friendly, the facility is in good repair, the food is fine, and there are plenty of activities. The staff team is very helpful, as I was settling in the maintenance team assisted me with assembling my furniture as it came in. For the food, there is a menu that changes daily. They publish it a week at a time. There are multiple choices from three to five options that is available for lunch and dinner. The dining area has a restaurant kind of atmosphere where you sit down and they would take your order. The have generous portion sizes from small, regular, and large. Their cleanliness is good too. They frequently clean the area to keep it well and organize. They can also provide towels and linens if you need it, and they would wash it for you too. As for the activities they do have trips to go to shows, various kinds of excursions in the local area, they have games, video lectures, and speakers. All in all I would recommend this community to others.

Busy Grandma

My grandma lives here in the independent living. She is really involved with church activities. And attends daily activities too. The caregivers are great. The dining room is nice and food is great. I would recommend this to my friends and family.

Hillside looking over a lake

I really liked this community but my brother did not. I felt like it was more upscale than other places. The room style was different and had a lot more corners than a square room. Since it is hard for my brother to get around, this could pose a problem. The other bad thing is that this community has 4 to 5 different floors and it would make it hard for him. The one thing that was nice is that it’s on the hillside looking over a lake. They also had more things for them to do like the library and a computer lab. It just seems like they have more things to do outside of the apartment. I would really recommend this facility.

My new home.

Hidden Lakes staff and administration have been unfailingly considerate and kind. I have found maintenance people slow in responding to issues reported. Sometimes I've had to call numerous times. I don't want to be a pest. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained with numerous places to walk and rest. I especially love having the small lake. I would prefer more flexibility in meals. You must be in the dining room at certain times of the day to get a meal. I would love having a salad bar. There are lots of activities for residents; much to choose from. Everyone I have spoken with seems very happy to be here. It is a lovely place to live and I would recommend anyone looking for an independent lifestyle, check it out.

My nice home

I like living in this community. The staff is nice. The community is clean and we like the apartments. I like that they have nice activities for me to participate in. I like my apartment and the atmosphere here. I would recommend others to see this community for a place to call home for a good value.

Lots of changes!!

My dear friend has recently made the move into this community and she is not very pleased with how things are going. During the tour the staff had really made her welcomed and feel right at home with lots of great promises on how things would go. When she had made the move into the facility there has been a ton of changes that are not resident friendly. There is a entire new staff team and they not following through on many of the promises and do not have the warmth she had felt during our tour. Another complaint she has had is the meals have went down in quality. They are not what they once where.

lovely place...needs improvement

Lots of promises prior to moving in. Promises were not upheld. Staffing changes occurred shortly after moving in, which caused a discount. New staff were not as friendly or warm and of course had no stake in the promises made. I feel pressured with the new rules and therefore am stressed. I wish I had rented elsewhere. The intro meal was delicious. Too much pork and shellfish now. Menu has decreased in variety and likeability. Some of the people who wait tables need to smile more and give a presence of friendliness instead of stern and curt.

Not my favorite!

My mother was at Hidden lakes for a while, and it was not the best fit for her. They were more expensive than other places. It was a bigger location and there was a major intersection next to it, but there was nothing they could do about that.

A great place to call home

I like this community where we live. I have had to adjust to the small kitchen. The community is nice and clean. The staff are nice and caring to our needs. They do offer us a chance to have meals or cook in our own room. They do offer alot of nice activities that are offer to participate with the other residents.

Our new home.

We moved into a great community. We are very happy with the staff who are very helpful. The community is clean and the meals that are served are very good. They have a good amount of activities to be activie in after we have settled in. We would recommend this community to other families for the value and care.

Will consider...

I have not toured the Hidden Lakes yet, but a woman that lived in the community I live in now, lives here and she tells me she is very happy there. I am considering touring to see if it would be a better fit for me.

A home for mom and dad

My parents have not yet moved into this community due to we are getting it ready by place a lot of their personal things in first. We knew when we toured this community that the staff was outstanding. The community is just what we were wanting for them to move into. The food menu is outstanding. They have a calendar with a lot of reactivities of great things for them to do. We are happy with the value and know that we will recommend other families to see a great place for a loved one to get great care. It has a great home feeling in every way.

I Enjoy The Meals

I am doing good in my new home, still unpacking. I am eating so well from having very good food. I have been gaining weight. I have yet to come across a bad meal. I don't really participate in activities but it is available for me when I am ready. My housekeeping is well cleaned often.

I would rate them a 6 out of 5!

It took my mother about a month to get well adjusted to the place, but now she loves it! The place is kept very clean, and she has housekeeping for her apartment as well. They provide 3 meals a day plus snacks. The meals are great, their lunch looks like dinner! They have alarge variety of activities to keep them moving. I would recommend this place to anyone in a heartbeat.

My Experience

I moved into this community and it was been good. My apartment is 700 sq feet, with a separate bedroom, living room and storage room. It is a nice size for me. The staff have been nice and helpful. Since the Christmas is close I have not been able to try the meals or try activities.

I don't do reviews because most of them are from third parties, they usually have non relevant questions, and the review is misinterpreted.

I like Hidden Lakes best out of all that I investigated and visited.

Beautiful property!!

The staff was very welcoming to my loved one and I during our tour of this community. They made sure to take there time and show us everything there facility had to offer as well as answer and questions I had for them. There was nothing wrong with the complex, I just did not decided to go with this location for personal reasons

Relief

When we first visited Hidden Lakes we were very pleasantly surprised by the fun and friendly atmosphere.

John, who gave us our tour, knew all of the residents by name, as well as their pets, and stopped to greet each person we had the pleasure of meeting.

When we returned with Mom we enjoyed a lovely lunch with Aaron in the dining room overlooking the lake.

Mom decided that day that Hidden Lakes was a place should would like to try, as she knows it is no longer safe her her to live alone.

She is adjusting well and really enjoys the food.

The first time I called her, after her move, and she didn't answer the phone I actually felt happy knowing that she was out and about with other people.

Before that there was always a sense of panic when she failed to answer by the 4th ring.

Hidden Lakes is lovely and I hope Mom will be happy there for a very long time to come!

A little iffy at first.

Hidden Lakes is now my brother's new home and he seems to be pretty happy there. We ran into a few bumps in the road in the beginning. We were showed a few different studio apartments and when choosing one we were then told it was not offered for the same price we were quoted. He is settled in now and getting into the swing of things. The staff have made it easier because they are all very nice and friendly. I'm sure things will be just fine!

Great! But Not so Great when it comes to food

I will have to say the management onsite it tops, however the food, food choices, food service, menu and processed high salt foods are terrible. They can not keep a chef and the interim ones are not use to cooking for older adults and they add too much salt. Unfortunately, if this was a manager issue they would solve it, but it is a corporate issues with the COO overseeing food coming from a fast food industry liek KFC so they are feeding seniors with health issues high salt, high sugar and processed foods. Never is the inventory there so the menu says one thing and they get something else. This must be fixed. Otherwise very happy with living area, cleanliness but this is a real issue. I called corporate could not get pass resident help which never returns calls.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. First, thank you for your sincere review. We understand that food plays a major part in the senior living lifestyle so feedback from our residents and their families regarding the quality of food at our communities is welcomed and appreciated. Our COO does not directly oversee our community menus, nor do we use the same food suppliers as major fast food chains, but we do have a member of our executive team, Andrew, who is dedicated specifically to Dining & Hospitality. I've sent your review to him directly.

I've also asked our Resident Relations team to try to identify you based on previous messages and call you ASAP to address your concerns. My apologies for any delay in response. Should you not hear back within 24 hours, please call [removed], mention this review, and be sure to leave your contact information.

It's feedback from our residents, their families, and visitors that helps us improve our business so a sincere thank you once more.

Sincerely,
Katie

Pleasant staff

The building is clean and the staff is very pleasant and always has a smile for you. There are plenty of activities for the residents which they seem to enjoy. The food is not that great, but overall a pretty decent place.

It's great.

It's great. The food could be better here, as with many other places. Both the quality and the variety could be improved. However it's clean and the staff is friendly, there is plenty to do. We haven't found any hidden charges or extra fees either.

really good meals there

My dad is doing fine at Hidden Lakes. He has medical coverage and physical therapy that he is enjoying. He has had really good meals there. The staff follow up with him on everything. So far everything has gone really well at this facility.

Wonderful place!

They really do fantastic job at Hidden Lakes. The facility itself is attractive, well kept, and clean, and they have a lot to provide for the people who live here. The staff are all very friendly and professional, and I really appreciate all the effort they put into making sure the residents are happy. The staff really engage with the residents, they made sure every gets introduced and participates in activities, and they'll always check in if they see someone has missed a meal or hasn't been out and about recently. And they do a great job with the food here, I've had a dozen meals here and I've enjoyed every one!

mother in law loves it!

My mother in law loves it at Hidden Lakes! She is very happy there. They are there for her, and have just been very attentive to her every need.

We like it very much. It's clean, and everyone is friendly.

We like it very much. It's clean, and everyone is friendly. The average age here is 75-85. They have a swimming pool, and three meals a day. It's a very nice setting, and we are really happy with it.

Ideal place to live.....BUT

Hidden Lakes is an amazingly beautiful place. The cottage we lived in was perfect for us. The dining room served excellent food. All the staff were happy and helpful. BUT the reason we moved there was because we were told that they were eligible for Veteran's Affairs benefits. (My husband is a world war 11 veteran). Not only was this untrue. The owners knew it was untrue and told staff how to say "we accept Veteran's benefits". Knowing all the time that they were not eligible for the benefit. We were very sad to leave Hidden Lakes.

I talked to John who I thou...

I talked to John who I thought was rude and abrupt. I would not place my family their per my interaction with the office.

Great for people who like to walk and be socially engaged

What makes Hidden Lakes somewhat unique is much of the community lives in a residential neighborhood. That part of the population has many married couples. As a result, Hidden Lakes seems to have a higher proportion of men than is usual, also a more active population than is usual, perhaps even a younger average age than is usual. And of course, there is the lake, which power walkers, sightseers and even photographers circle rain or shine.

On the negative side, there seems to be a high turnover among the management. I do not know if that is typical or not.

Perhaps because the population is relatively large, about 150, the food is mass produced, not cooked to order. When visiting, take your parent out for a meal.

A positive word about the meals, they are scheduled so have become another social event. People begin to gather as much as a half-hour early just to sit and talk.

When we were looking, we judged our parent would like Hidden Lakes better than anyplace else we looked at. The report from that parent is, "It's better than I expected. It's fun. There is a lot going on. People knock on my door to invite me to activities, something that did not happen in my house."

Very homey and inviting

This place is absolutely beautiful! The facility itself is lovely, and the staff are all very friendly. It's a very home and inviting place, and my Mom really likes it. The food is also quite good!

Good Activities

How much it costs depends on your room. They have all different floor plans so it just depends on which on you get. The care is very good but their food could improve. Sometimes they change the menu at the last minute so if you go down expecting one thing they might not have it. We were hoping the food would be better but everything else kind of outweighs it.

They have all kinds of activities like exercise, bingo, trips, cards. There is plenty for them to do.

Fine food and shes finally acclimating to the surroundings

HIdden lakes is independent living, as far as the care, she gets her meals. At times she does feel like the meals could be better but for the most part they're pretty good as far as I can tell. I've eaten thereand I thought the meals were pretty good; when we moved her in they said we were totally free to eat meals down there with her too. When you have food like that everyday its not the same as your home cooking so thats more of the problem than the food not being good. As far as the help she gets, we hired that. There at Hidden Lakes there is a "First Call Home Health" and they have an office there in the building and we do have a lady hired to help with bathing and she's wonderful. They also are fine with her great grandchildren coming to visit her which was the one question I asked when we were looking and they love to visit her too.

Great Dining Hours, Pet Friendly

My wife's mom is the most crotchety, mean person that I've ever seen and she is happy there; it's unbelieveable. She loves it there and that's saying something. She's a litte upset because she just gave up a home and all of her stuff but she talks about how wonderful it is. She's out over a lake and they put in a fence for her dog and she can go eat anytime she wants, day or night. The staff seems great and the value is good. As far as I know, she loves the food. She's a little standoff-ish with new people but she's started to get to now some people there and had fun talking with them.

Nestled in the heart of Willamette Valley in Salem, Hidden Lakes is built upon fifteen acres of beautifully landscaped, wooded grounds situated around a five-acre lake. Residents in the mood for adventure are free to explore an area rich in history and natural splendor.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind