Heritage Woods of Gurnee - Gurnee, IL

Not acclimating to new environment

My mother-in-law is having a hard time acclimating to a lifestyle of downsizing from her large home to a smaller apartment. We have communicated our concern with the administrators that she is not adjusting to the environment here at Heritage Woods of Gurnee. They have tried to encourage her to come and eat her meals in the dining area and try to get her to participate with the other residents in the activities they provide. This has been really tough emotionally on my wife and sister-in-law. The community is clean and the staff is friendly enough, it just may not be a good fit. We're still trying to figure out how to proceed.

Not A Good Experience

My father isn't doing very well since his move to this community. We have had some issues with the care staff. He has fallen a lot, and also one of the employees [Removed] from him. I do not think this is the right fit for him, and his needs.

Great CNA's, the rest so-so

First off, let me say that the CNA's are AMAZING! They take excellent care of the residents....no complaints there and in the end that is what was most important to our family.

The dining room is terrible. The staff in there is rude, unhappy and ignore the residents. The food is mediocre...occasionally there will be something good, but it is mostly prepared/frozen meals...often times the food is served cold or overcooked.

There have been multiple cases of bedbugs, but they do have a protocol to handle that...you can't really control what comes in when a new resident arrives - they bring it with them. There has also recently been an outbreak of a nasty virus that is sending many to area hospitals. I am concerned about how well they disinfect/clean.

Administration is so-so. there has been a bit of turnover in the last few years. There are monthly meetings with the residents to hear their feedback and complaints but unfortunately they fall on deaf ears. Very little changes.

As far as value for your money...well it's highway[Removed] - BUT it is one of the cheaper options and if your loved one is on or needs to go on Medicaid you don't have many options. My loved one has a 1-bedroom apartment which is a nice size. Large bedroom, large bathroom, lots of closets.

Activities: I would not say they have a great assortment of activities and a good number of them seem to be religious in nature...that being said, there is no diversity in the religious activities they offer, so if you identify with that particular religion there's stuff to do, but if you are of other religions, then not so much.

do not send your love ones

The aides are wonderful an the nurses are nice to as for the rest pure attitude an I had to move my mother out because they have bed bugs an didn't even tell us would never refer anyone

The right answer for our need

My mother-in-law has been living at Heritage Woods for almost 3 weeks now. The location is ideal, as we are only a few miles away from her. The apartment was clean and ready for her when we moved in. The maintenance man was extremely helpful in getting pictures up, etc. We are mostly happy with everything - the CNAs and everyone that assists seem very kind and helpful. Two concerns: I wish they had someone at the front desk 24/7, but they do not. Perhaps not a big issue, but it makes me wonder about security. Secondly, I stayed to eat dinner with her one evening and was concerned when one of the residents stated that the kitchen uses mostly frozen, prepackaged foods, rather than creating meals from fresh foods. I need to ask about that. Other than those two things, we are pleased.

If Dad wants to stay up nor...

If Dad wants to stay up north, this is where I would put him.

Good Senior Living

The staff is very caring and positive. The building and dining room are clean and bright. The lobby And dining room are decorated for holidays and special events take place. I recommend Heritage Woods.

There is a problem with nursing care being administrative and not hands on with the clients

My loved one had been there about a year, and overall they did a good job with her care. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the aides are friendly. My loved one was totally independent and only needed meds passed and help with showers. Although I had asked for showers at least twice a week, I had to constantly ask the nurse to make sure the aids did this.
Earlier this year we had an incident that was horribly handled. My loved one fell, and an xray was taken of her foot which didn't show anything. After that, the on-staff nurse did not get directly involved. Instead she acted in a more administrative role and let the aides give her feedback. My loved one kept complaining of pain in her ankle. The nurse did not ask for an order for an ankle xray. When family members called to check on the loved one, they were assured by the nurse that she was monitoring the situation. When a family member was able to look at the loved one's leg several days later, it was obvious her ankle was in fact dislocated and broken. The family member arranged for the loved one to be taken to the hospital where surgery was performed.

Peace of Mind, Greatful Heart

My parents move was not anticipated, and they were not prepared for the changes in their life any more than their family. The entire staff, and I do mean entire, has made the transition to the assisted living community as pleasant and comfortable as possible. The comfor level of their care to us, and to them, is very high. It would not to be possible for us to provide the quality or amount of attention to the daily activities of their life that are now necessary. Heritage woods, and Mercedes who is our adviso from A place for Mom, have made their lifestyle possible, and given us the peace of mind knowing they are safe. And they feel safe.
They have been there since Dec. 10th, 2013. In the 4 months they have been at Heritage woods, they have met new faces, learned to be independent again, gaining confidence, feel safe in knowing medical needs are taken
care of, and Mom doesn't have to cook or clean, do laundry, or be afraid she can not take care of my Dad, and Dad cannot any longer care for Mom.

The acceptance is not easy, but we know they are where they belong, and thankfully, after 65 years, they are together.

An excellent move for a 92 yr. old.

Due to an inevitabale reduction in my mothers' savings, we needed to seek a community that would take her, and convert her to Medicaid at the necessary time. She had been in private care for 6 years after having lived with me for 4. We worked with "A Place for Mom", who narrowed our search to about 6 providers and we narrowed it further to preferred locations for our family. Of the 3 locations we interviewed, Heritage Woods was immediately encouraging, and reassuring that she would live in the kind of environment we wanted for her. The professionalism and warmth of all staff members we met and worked with, affirmed this. Their help in getting her Medicaid approval, reduced what could have been a nightmare, to a reasonable job. She felt at home as soon as she moved in, and is quite content there. We continue to be impressed with Heritage Woods and the warm personal care of the staff and administration.