Heritage Oaks - Richmond, VA

I really like it here, but a change to the website has pretty much excluded anyone who is looking for an independent lifestyle.
Heritage Oaks is NOT an assisted living facility, officially, but it is touted as one online.
I may have to seek another living space..
I have questioned why this is, but received vague and incompete answers.

Nice Tour

The tour we took at Heritage Oaks was nice and clean. The staff was friendly and answered the questions that we had. It is a large community and we were looking for a smaller community for my mom.

Beautiful Community!!

I have only been at this community for a short period of time but so far everything has been going fine. The staff have been friendly and understanding to my situation and have made accommodations to make sure my needs are being met. I have no complaints about the food and enjoy my surroundings.

To far!

We really thought that this community was exceptional. The staff was very nice and super accommodating. The people that we saw were great. The only problem was that the community was so far away from my friends family.

No complaints!

My mother is doing great since moving into the Heritage Oaks. She is making many new friends. The apartment she is in is comfortable and clean. The meals, from what she has mentioned, are good. She likes the dinners.

[Removed] met me and took me on a tour of the facility. This facility includes 3 meals a day as well as other activities. The close proximity to the hospital is a plus as well. Pull cords in various locations throughout the apartment is a great added feature.

Really good experience!

Everything was wonderful here. My aunt enjoyed her stay here. The staff was great and they really took good care of my aunt. The community was clean and neat and we never had any problems. They are great people.

An Acceptable Community

This community looked pretty old and the paint colors were dark which gave me a feeling of not being home. I did get a chance to speak with the tour guide and he did invite us to lunch to talk more. The food was good and acceptable. The community all together was a nice, clean, well kept place.

Friendly Community

Things are going well for us here at Heritage Oaks she seems to like it. She doing well now it took some time for her to adjust but we are helping her out with that. The community looks really nice and very clean. The staff has been nothing but friendly and helpful to us with everything. This is a really nice community and the people here from the residents to the staff are friendly kind and very welcoming. This is a community I would recommend to anybody thinking about senior living.

Review of Heritage Oaks - Richmond, VA

Great place for our mom

Took the time to care

The staff took the time to get to know me and my family and made sure they could cover all my wants and needs. Great staff!

Dad's Placement

Heritage Oaks was on the list recommended by A Place for Mom. I took my father to visit it (May) and after seeing it, he did not want to look at any anymore assisted living locations! The staff, residents were all very cordial and pleasant during the visit. Dad moved into an apartment there in June and he is adjusting and making friends. He is 84 and still wants his independence (that's the Army Sergeant Major in him) and I understand. At least at Heritage Oaks, I know he is safe, has personnel and services he needs close at hand. I would recommend Heritage Oaks to anyone who is looking to place a senior family member who needs some assistance and a wonderful place they can call home.

We had a very positive expe...

We had a very positive experience at Heritage Oaks. Paige Carpenter (Director) sat down with us prior to the physical tour and got to know us. Not only did she answer all of our questions, she pointed out some very important issues for us to consider regarding this important life event for our friend. We like all of the floor plans. We had an opportunity to meet one resident on our way out. She expressed positive comments to us about her apartment and the other residents.

Very Poor Dining Experience

The biggest problem here is the dining room. Food good one time, poor another. Time for service is very poor. Sitting is predetermined. Trying to get a refill on a drink is a real problem. Clean place, but I found housekeeping to be minimal. Staff is great; dining staff needs a lot of improvement. They keep promising to work on it, but they don't seem to have much luck.

Great place. I think Dad would like ...

Great place. I think Dad would like it, if we could just get him to see it. I can show him a virtual tour on the computer. would consider moving them here. the food is outstanding.

Built in 1987, Heritage Oaks is an independent living retirement community located in the heart of Richmond, Virginia. Just two blocks from outstanding medical facilities, Heritage Oaks is also conveniently near local shopping, dining, and entertainment.
When the weather is nice, many of our residents choose to walk around our beautifully landscaped gardens. On days when it’s best to stay indoors, you’ll find them doing something fun in our spacious activities room, participating in an exercise class, or just sitting in our atrium talking with friends.
In fact, our soaring three-story atrium with cozy fireplace and world-class 250-gallon aquarium is a sought-after gathering place, especially before and after meals. The custom-designed, six-foot-tall saltwater aquarium showcases vibrant and colorful marine life, creating an atmosphere of serenity and peacefulness. Visitors frequently comment on our beautiful variety of fish and other marine animals.
Heritage Oaks has 24-hour staffing and offers more than 120 spacious apartment suites complete with large walk-in closets, sinks, full-size refrigerators, and lots of cabinet space in each of our studio, one-, and two-bedroom floor plans. Residents also enjoy three delicious meals a day, scheduled transportation, regular housekeeping, and more included with their monthly rent.
Visit Heritage Oaks today and see how our residents are getting the best out of life!