The Virginian - North Chesterfield, VA

wasn't able to see the inside of a cottage, but the rest of the facility seemed pleasant. No washer/dryer in apartments. Residents seemed to be in their 80's and 90's.

Independent living

We were given a very nice tour here and the staff did a great job with our tour showing us around and answering all our questions. In fact this would be a great community for anyone who is looking for independent livings.

Beautiful

We toured The Virginian and the staff was very welcoming and friendly. They answered all of the questions we had and the residents that we saw seemed happy and involved. It just wasn't the right fit for my mom.

5 Stars all the way

Everything about this community is wonderful. The food is good and they offer a variety of choices. The community is kept clean and the grounds are well maintained. The staff have been friendly and helpful. I would recommend this community.

I lke it here

This is a very nice community. They keep it clean and they have a nice activity room. The food is good and they have a nice dining room. They offer a non denominational church service as well as sunday school. The staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend his community.

Everything fine!

This was a beautiful property and me and my friend liked it here. The person that took us on the tour was very knowledgeable and very nice. The residents seemed to be happy and all was well. The facility was also clean.

My good home

I moved into this community. The staff i found that are nice. The community is nice and I like that it is clean. The meals are good. I like this community and would recommend it to others.

Elegant Community

I really like this community. This is a very elegant community, everything looked great. From what I saw everything was very nice and clean. The staff was kind and informative. My questions were answered, and it was a nice experience. Unfortunately this community was a bit expensive for our budget, but it is a very nice place.

Dad's New Adjustment

My father is doing good at this community. The staff is great and caring. The food is good, but my dad is adjusting. The activities are offered to him and right now he is not participating yet. I would recommend this community to other families for good care over all.

We had an appointment with Jim Beck but he did not show until our tour was finished. When he did he assumed we were waiting for him for the tour. We visited 3 "apartments" that were okay. There was very little resident activity. Very few people in halls and activity areas. It was okay but would not consider putting my mom here.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, My name is Katie and I work in Holiday's home office. We'd like to thank you for providing us your feedback, although I must say I was quite disappointed to hear this was your experience with us, as that is certainly not the Holiday touch which we strive to deliver for our residents and visitors each day. I want you to know in addition to expressing my sincere apologies, that we have also flagged this message and passed it on to our resident relations team. Thank you once again for sharing this with us, and very sorry once again to hear this was your experience.

Thank you!

Another Tour

Like my other tour I got to see what the community had to offer. I got meet with the friendly residents and spoke with caring staff members. I felt that this community had an older building, I was looking for something more new. I did like the tour but this community did not fit my needs.

Beware the terms of the contract. My sister-in-law passed away on October 12 with her rent paid through November 1. Her estate has received a bill for additional monies owed because she did not give a 30 day notice before vacating the apartment. Seriously?!?

Friendly, helpful people, bring a sandwich

This is a really friendly place to live, especially clean; both inside and out. The very major problem is the food. Both the quality and quantity . They frequently run out of items,and what is posted on menus is not available . Once in a while a good meal is presented, but what is referred as "chef prepared" means Chef Boy r Dee" quality. Management staff are very helpful, but they have no say over menus as that is corporate's doing, and obviously the bottom dollar is more important than tasty food. Also, meal time takes an average of 11/2 hrs. Emergencies are handled professionally, with someone from staff always available. All & all really helpful, friendly staff and residents. I would not hesitate to go back as long as I can get to outside food!

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY

I am so impressed with The Virginian. From the staff to the facilty and even the residents. Every time I visit my mother-in-law I never want to leave., Her room is perfect! Sand y is the most knowledgable and compasionate person. I've only spoken with her maybe five times and she feels like we've been friends forever. I feel VERY confident that I've chosen the right place for my mother-in-law. Many thanks to Melissa [Removed] for suggesting The Virginian.

Affordable Independent Living Facility

The Virginian is well located and has nice grounds and facilities. It is very affordable in comparison to other independent living facilities in the area.
One of the problems is frequent turnover of management staff. I think in the two years my relative has lived there, they have had management turnover 3 or 4 times.
Laundry Facilities are not available Mon-Fri 8AM-4PM and that is a big issue for me. I hired a caregiver to do laundry and she only has an hour to do it, between 4 and 5 PM. When the caregiver tried to do my relative's laundry in the morning, the staff took the clothes out of the washing machine and threw them on the floor. Management was not interested in finding a solution to this, just reiterated residents and families could use the laundry facilities in the evenings and weekends.
Activities are so-so. They have a lot of exercise classes and Bingo.
Lastly, many of the managers do not seem friendly or empathic to the elderly or their families.
Overall, I would rate The Virginian as Fair.

My sister loves The Virginian. I am ...

My sister loves The Virginian. I am totally surprised because she complains about everything at age 91. We moved in her furniture and she pushes us out of the door, so she can attend the activities and her delicious meals.

I am just overjoyed with everything at this facility.

The Virginian

The staff is very friendly as are most of the people that live there. Meal service is very slow and my father has complained that the food is not always the best. I have never had a meal that I dislike, but I don't eat often. There are a variety of activities each day, but too much BINGO.

I had an immediate response from my o...

I had an immediate response from my on-line inquiry. The counselor was very professional and knowledgeable. I was able to tour the facility the next morning and determined that it would be a great place for my mother-in-law to live.

They didn't have the type o...

They didn't have the type of housing we were looking for. Nice place but small rooms. Not yet ready for that type of housing. We have decided we will rent house in area by our son for the present time. Thank you for your help.

The Virginian was the first...

The Virginian was the first of our scheduled visits so we were a bit apprehensive going in but sales leader Brian Fleming met us in the lobby with a few desserts which was a nice ice breaker. We had a very informative tour of the property and were very pleased to see how affordable all of the units were for our friend. We talked to about 6 residents and EVERYONE had nothing but positive things to say about the property and staff. We met the Activities Director (such a fun loving lady). We loved the grounds and the properties proximity to our friends church.

We really liked it here.

We really liked it here. I liked that the room was big and the people were really friendly. It was an independent community, I think we needed something with a little more assistance. It was also the most reasonably priced of the many communities we looked at.

Liked it a lot, 3 minutes f...

Liked it a lot, 3 minutes from the house, very clean and they do have one room available. Not sure about the price, maybe too close to what she makes, but this is my choice.

I visited here and liked it...

I visited here and liked it a lot and the price was really good. This wasn't that far but it is independent living and my daughter just isn't comfortable with my mom staying here with her Alzheimer's. The residents were really nice and told me to tell my mom to come there and they would have her join in. I was impressed. The managers live here and they are really nice, as well as the staff.

Everything's great except the food is horrible

Everything is going well except the food is hideous, but they hired a new chef and they're supposed to be working on the food. Everything else is great, the management, the people, the place, but the food is so bad it brings the rating down, but everything else is exceptional. They could have more things for them to do, more activities. A couple of days of the week there's kinda not really a whole lot to do. A couple of times they have movie times listed but it doesn't happen or they change it. She doesn't need any care right now, she's in independent living, but they are able to provide lots of other options so she wouldn't have to go full assisted living.

The meals could improve, the food's n...

The meals could improve, the food's not bad but sometimes it's not filling. The activities are all geared to the older population, I'm younger than most of them here. I've suggested some other things for them to do and they try to initiate them, I feel like they're listening to me.

Worth what you pay, ambassador program could improve

The facility and programs and stuff, I would give them a pretty high score, there were a couple of things that we were a little mislead on in terms of what we expected, certain types of programs within the Virginian so we had to get additional help to meet my dads need, which wasn't very extensive but it was a little bit of a challenge at first. He really likes the activities, the staff is wonderful, even being able to visit and stay there is wonderful. If I had to criticize something it would be their integration process, they have an ambassador program with other seniors that are supposed to integrate you into the facility and that really didn't happen. We hired a nurse to help him with some reminders and we also hired a concierge to get him from point a to point b and it's very low cost. The facility by the way is absolutely stunning and the price is just perfect for what you get. The food's great, the location is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful and all in all, the seniors that are living there, you can tell they are really happy with where they're at. My recommendation for someone that is thinking of putting their parents in the Virginian is it really depends on how they are cognitively. If they're able to do things on their own then there's no problem of putting them there and not worrying about it but if it's more like my dad who has cognitive issues I would highly recommend you stay in the guest suite for a couple of days to get him or her adjusted or hire the concierge which isn't very expensive.

Next to Golf Club

The Virginian is right next to a golf club. The community is very nice and the staff is very friendly. Everything is going great here so far and I am pleased with them. I would recommend them to anyone.

Delicious Food

We toured this community among a lot of others and The Virginian stood out among the rest because their staff was able to answer all of our questions right away and we were never told they would find that out for us. They have 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartments with a good sized living room. They do not have a full kitchen but the have a refrigerator, sink and a spot for a microwave. With their food being so delicious no real reason to have a stove. We had steak one day and rosemary chicken another day and they were both very delicious. The ground floor apartments have a very good sized patio with plenty of room to grow a garden. We are very excited to be moving here and think we will be very happy.

Liked it as much as Dogwood.

Liked it as much as Dogwood.

Nice facility

Nice facility

She seemed to like this a lot. My da...

She seemed to like this a lot. My daughter was with her. I need to try to get the paper work.

Also liked what I saw. Food deliciou...

Also liked what I saw. Food delicious but I need more time to make my decision.

It was okay, however, we felt the bui...

It was okay, however, we felt the building was a little old and worn. It was okay. We would choose something else.

Nestled in a charming, quiet area on the south side of Richmond, you’ll enjoy a beautiful home conveniently located in the heart of the south. Residents have so much to explore in a state capital rich in history, heritage and culture.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind