Dogwood Terrace - Richmond, VA

Delighted.

My mother in law loves it. She is almost 90, and just moved here from tennessee. She has no roots here but she is nearer to my wife and me.

She likes the staff, the residents, the activities, the food...

We have spoken with the staff and are very impressed. They genuinely care about the residents and have substantive activities. Lectures, bus tour of richmond, meetings with congressional candidates, the bookmobile comes by each month...

Her apartment is not large, but easily big enough. She had a full house to herself before, and used about the same amount of space she has here. She loves the balcony.

VERY happy with the choice to move here.

Was nice but saw only 3 residents the whole time and they appeared to be ancient - hardly moving or alert. By the time you finish adding all the amenities it becomes extremely expensive. May go back to visit again after seeing another place.

Mom is doing great!

Dogwood Terrace so far is a wonderful place for my mom. She is back to her old self again. It is in a beautiful setting and close to my home. It is very warm and inviting and [Removed] was just wonderful in getting us settled in. The staff is just great, very helpful and caring. I have dined with my mom there and the food is very good. They do have excursions for the resident to go shopping and Dr. appointments but they do not have a van equipped for wheelchairs and my mom is in a wheelchair so she cannot partake in the outings. Other than that, I would highly recommend Dogwood Terrace to friends and family.

Tour Went Well Overall

My tour of this community was a nice one. The staff I met was kind, and answered my questions. The community was clean, and well-kept from what I saw. The experience went well, and I enjoyed my tour of this community. Unfortunately this wasn't the community for us, but my tour went well overall.

Getting ready to go in!

The people here are just fabulous to my friend and he really likes it here. The community is clean and neat and the facility is really laid out nicely. My friend also likes that he is next to family. [Removed] has been great all the way.

No commercial kitchen!!

The Dogwood Terrace was a nice community and the right location, but they did not have a commercial kitchen. The main reason why I was looking into these retirement communities was because I can no longer cook for myself. The food when I tried it, tasted like it was pre-made and reheated in the microwave. Also, the dining room was crowded. OIther than that, the place apartments were exceptional.

Needs updating!!

The staff was really informative and welcoming on my tour. The community was too aged and outdated for my liking. It needs a lot of improvement and updating in the bedrooms as well as the dinning rooms.

Received A Proper Tour!!

This place didn't meet my loved ones needs. My loved one needed assisted living care and if you needed this you had to contact one of the agencies that they contracted with. I liked the layout of it and what they had to offer but it didn't really work for us. Meal plans and activities are offered to the residents.

My daughter from the Washington DC is helping us looking for the retirement place in Richmond area. We learn a lot from the last two days.
She is now back to DC and she will continue looking for a retirement place in the DC area. After that we will select either retire in Richmond or DC. Many thanks to you.

Not A Good Tour

I got the pleasure of taking our tour with the manager who seemed busy most of the time. We got to see the clean community and during my tour I noticed that the apartments were extremely small. Overall it seemed like a good place but the community did not fit my need and wants.

Holiday Retirement

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. We are so happy to hear you found our community nice and clean, but sincerely regret that our manager gave off the impression of seeming too busy for you. Our residents are our number one focus, and should never feel as if we are too busy for them. I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention, and wish you well on your journey.

Very nice place

This place is awesome clean and very nice. The staff are accommodating also

Good experience

My wife and I moved my mother to Dogwood Terrace about a year ago. Her experience has been very positive. The community dining helps a lot with meeting people and socializing. Also, if a resident has an emergency in the middle of the night, the person on call is one of the resident managers, not a random hourly person. The resident managers are known by the residents through mealtimes and other interactions, which I think adds to the feeling of community. During a brief period when my mother had to use a wheelchair while recovering from an injury, she was able to contract with an on-site service to move her around at a very reasonable cost. We had apprehensions at first (as did she) about her moving to a retirement community from her house, but it's been a success from her point of view and ours.

Dedicated Staff

Well one thing they could improve on is the food, she's had some complaints about that. When you sit down, you have to be there when they start serving because if you show up too late, you do not get served. We had a couple issues in the beginning, but we straightened them out. They are dedicated and willing to work though.

It was very good

It was very good. The only problem is that its a Independent community and we were looking for assisted living. That is two very different animals. We liked what we saw here though primarily due to its main feature "Helping Angels" They are caregivers from a outside origin. Other locations provide most of things be people would need but only 3 to 4 hours at a time. Helping Angels provide care depending on the task and not on a required hours at a time. Nobody else has anything like that in Richmond. That made our decision on the spot because of that.

It was great.

It was Great! We really have nothing bad to say but that the food is not that good. Overall it is perfect. The managers are really kind and friendly.

Review of Dogwood Terrace Independent Living in Richmond, VA

My mother has decided that she will be moving in with me. The concept behind this community is a great idea, if you have planned your retirement well and like to travel.

Mom's biggest complaint is about the ...

Mom's biggest complaint is about the food; quality and limited selection. However, she has gained 11 very needed pounds since she moved in 9 months ago.

Great location beautiful facility great food friendly people

"Spotlessly clean." Very friendly helpful staff. Delicious meals. Friendly residents. Parents were pleasantly surprise at how much they liked facility. Doing a trial stay this week. At the top end of budget, and trying to work out the numbers to see if it will work. Very convenient location. Parents liked the ability to have own vehicle for independence if they chose to drive themselves to visit friends or run errands.

The Perfect Place for Dad

We are tickled pink that we found Dogwood Terrace. Exceptional in every way! A place my dad will be comfortable AND safe, with lots of opportunities for relationships and support. Thrilled!

I thought they were really nice, I liked the size of the rooms.

I thought they were really nice, I liked the size of the rooms. They seemed bigger and more spacious than a lot of the communities we were looking at. It was a little outside of the area for us, but it was really nice and the people were very friendly too.

Visited here and really lik...

Visited here and really liked it although I think it's a little too far away. The staff was really nice and I did like the fact they had an office there with caregivers that you could hire to help the resident. I don't know how much help my mom would need or cost, and my daughter is still not comfortable with her going into independent living. I wouldn't mind living there.

Avoid!

Fraudulent operation - following the death of our family member, the facility has failed to refund months of prepaid rent for the months subsequent to our family member's death (despite clear language in the lease agreement obligating them to do so). They have lied, stalled, and obfuscated for weeks on end. Regrettably, we have finally arrived at the point at which we have no other option but to pursue legal recourse (and we shall do so with vigor and a purposeful resolve to ensure that others are spared the misfortune of dealing with this fraudulent organization). Save yourself the trouble (and legal fees) and keep driving past this one...

Visited this community yest...

Visited this community yesterday. Very nice. Lots of encouraging care here. I'll bring my parents here for a visit in the next couple of months.

Both Managers were very welcoming and...

Both Managers were very welcoming and accomodating to take Mom and I on the tour. Very nice and clean location. The staff seemed friendly and most residents acknowledged Mom and I during the tour. We got to stay for lunch which was nice. The rooms we saw were nice. Since this facility includes all three meals, it may be outside Mom's budget.

My Mom's favorite place. A nice homey...

My Mom's favorite place. A nice homey atmosphere. Easy to get around.

Very nice

Very nice

toured this property, thought it was ...

toured this property, thought it was very nice but have not made any decisions yet.

Situated on beautiful grounds within an upscale location in the west end of Richmond, you’ll love your quiet home in the heart of it all. We’re just a short distance from shopping, restaurants, healthcare and dining.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind