Habersham House - Savannah, GA

Do NOT bring your loved one here

We moved our mother into Habersham House (HH) memory care unit. We had many problems as detailed below:
When applying for admittance for our mother, in addition to her financial statements (she is self supporting), we had to provide our own personal financial details which we found intrusive. We also completed a detailed account of our mother's likes, dislikes, personal history, etc. We appreciated the thoroughness of these questions. Sadly, it became clear that the information on our mother was either never shared with the staff or if it was, they ignored it.

When our mother celebrated her 91st birthday, nothing was done to celebrate it, nor was it even mentioned. When we inquired if anything was done to acknowledge this special day, the Director’s reply indicated the staff had no idea.
There were regular activities and musical events in the assisted living area that our mother would have enjoyed (as indicated on her questionnaire) but she was never taken to participate. In fact, one such day, my sister was present when a staff member came to the memory unit to ask if there were any patients to transport for the performance. The aides present immediately said "no", with no consideration that a few residents might have been interested.

The memory care unit literature and advertising emphasize the Montessori Method. It was never explained to us how this method was applied to people with memory deficits. Although a bulletin board listed several activities each day, we never once saw any activities despite visiting several times a week, at different times of the day. The aides in that unit appear unsmiling and unresponsive when greeted and certainly, whenever I was there, they were more interested in their cell phones than in the residents, who were left in their chairs to watch infomercials or other inappropriate content on the TV. The residents lack stimulation and seem to be treated poorly by the staff who do not seem to care since their patients cannot voice any complaints.

Our mother was in the Memory Care unit at Habersham House for 6 weeks approximately and her hair was washed only 2 times, even after frequent requests! On one occasion, the coordinator of the unit said the staff did not wash hair and we had to have the hairdresser do it (was this a kickback scheme?!). What happens to residents who cannot afford to have a hairdresser on a weekly basis? Of course, when we complained to the director, this was denied but it did happen. Hair was supposed to be washed once a week, baths 3 times a week.

On one occasion, my sister arrived to find my mother's door closed. She heard yelling behind the door and when she knocked, a staff member opened it slightly and said they were helping her in the bathroom. When my sister spoke with our mother afterward, she said the staff were very rough with her. At that point, my sister inspected mother’s skin and found red marks on her back. You can form your own conclusions here.

Our mother was moved to Habersham House from another facility out-of-state where she had resided for 2 years. The Staff there were wonderful and we were very satisfied with her care.
The new residence to which we moved our mother after Habersham House, is also wonderful.
Residents there are respected and treated with dignity; the staff are visibly caring. There are many activities in the memory care unit and our mother actively engages in them. Her mental state has improved enormously!
I mention this to indicate that we are not newbies to this, nor are we typically complainers. Of the three facilities which we have experienced, we were happy with all except HH.

Five Star Reviews

As the Regional Director of Operations, I want to reassure you that at Habersham House -- as in all of our Five Star communities -- resident care, safety, and happiness is our top priority. We provide the team members in our memory care neighborhood with training according to state regulations as well as in our organizations' unique Bridge to Rediscovery standards. Our goal is to provide a safe and nurturing environment where seniors living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia can flourish and share a positive life experience. That said, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your observations as we are always looking for ways to listen and improve. If you are willing to chat please contact me at the community by simply asking to speak to the Regional Director of Operations.

Not my favorite...

I did not really care for Habersham House when I toured. They had happy hour on Fridays and I did not think that would be good for my mother with all of her medications. It would probably be the place she wanted but not what she needed.

Care and Value

This is a nice community for care. The staff were very nice. The community was always clean and maintained. She was happy with the variety of healthy meals. They did offfer activiites, but sometimes they were cancelled. We would recommend this community for outstanding care and a nice value for other families and there loved ones.

Very impressed

I want to thank my Advisor from A Place for Mom for steering me in the right direction. This is a great facility! The food is terrific, it's so clean and the staff is wonderful!
It's like a beautiful hotel when you walk in.The tables are beautifully decorated. They brought in a performer to play on the grand piano this past week. Everyone is so nice and friendly.

My Mother is Enjoying Her Time At Time This Community

I have no complaints about this community. Everything is working out very well for my mother since her move to this community. She is doing very well, and she is enjoying her time here. The staff is good, and very helpful. They are taking good care of her, and her needs. The community is well-kept. When I visit her room, and the facility is nice, and clean. All is well for us at this community, and I would recommend it.

Things are going as okay

My uncle moved here recently. He is 97 with Alzheimer's disease. I think they are understaffed in professional caregivers. My uncle enjoys music.They have musical acts come in but sometimes he isn't able to watch them because they are performing on the other side of the community and he is in the memory care wing and no one can take him over there.The food at Habersham is terrific! I had lunch with him today and normally I don't like corned beef but it was pretty good.

Five Star Reviews

As the Executive Director at Habersham House I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on our community. We're glad to hear you and your uncle enjoy the food. We will continue to encourage him and all the residents in our Bridge to Rediscovery memory care program to participate in activities regardless of where they are held in our community. We are also looking to provide additional entertainment in our Bridge to Rediscovery neighborhood. If I can be of any assistance in helping him adjust to his new home please stop by or give me a call -- my door is always open.

So Far All is Well

So far everything is working out pretty well for my father in law with his move to this community. He is doing okay, and we are satisfied with his move here. We know he is safe, and receiving good care. Overall it is a community I would recommend, it has worked out well for my family so far.

Everyone was AWESOME!!!!!!

Do not put your loved one here!!

My loved one was living there. The place was dirty and smells. There are never any activities or follow through for the seniors. My uncle would constantly be sick and the food was the cause. No one ever returns phone calls. I would not recommend this place to put a loved one here!!!!!

Very pleased

I am so pleased with the care my mother is getting at Habersham House. Having her move into assisted living -- especially with me and my brother not living nearby -- was wrenching, but the staff has been wonderful. Each time I visit there, I leave reassured that she is in caring and capable hands!

Staff members really make an effort to make her feel comfortable and involved. Sadly, her mental and physical condition has worsened since she has been there (one of the reasons she needed to be in assisted living), but as she has worsened, we are seeing the staff rise to the occasion. While she has become wheelchair-bound, she has been seeing their excellent on-staff physical therapist and occupational therapist. And even though she is much less able to get about and do thing, the staff works to keep her engaged in general conversation and activities. They demonstrate real empathy and understanding, and have gone the extra mile to keep us informed. The apartments themselves are marvelous -- her 2 bedroom is a lovely place. Most importantly, Habersham House doesn't feel like an institution, but a real home.

on the down side I thought the community had a slightly corporate feel to it. On the up side it was immaculate. I didn't get to speak to any residents.

I let my mother down

It appears that they are not set up to actually care for those needing meds after hours, transfer to activities, or who can't care for themselves. The wonderful tour and beautiful facilities counted for nothing compared to the poor care. They tell me changes have been made but no promise or price would get me back there. People since have told me mom required too much care for them to handle. They did an in home evaluation and told me everything would be fine. I don't give bad ratings but I'm very serious about this.

Assisted living is pretty nice, the memory care not as much so.

They need more staff, they just were not able to give the care and attention we wanted for him. It wasn't a good experience for us. We chose it because it seemed to be very nice. His room was not cleaned as much as I would like, the common areas are pretty. As far as the assisted living it's a nice place but the memory care side was not as good.

Five Star Reviews

As the Executive Director, I am very interested in learning more about your experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to understand and address your concerns. We strive to make every day meaningful for our residents and family members and to create an environment that has all of the warmth and hospitality of home. Our award winning Bridge to Rediscovery Memory Care program is designed to be personalized to abilities and interests of each resident and to involve families. Our goal is to deliver an abundance of personal attention to each resident. I encourage you to contact me so we can have an in depth discussion to address each one of your points in detail. Residents and families are precious to Habersham House and to me and we want to direct our attention to your satisfaction. Thank you for your consideration.

Marlene Godwin
Executive Director
Habersham House

We are very happy with them.

We are very happy with them. I'm not sure about the activities, in the memory area, when I ask her what she did that day, she can't tell me what she's done. I know they take them outside, I've been there and seen that. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone. They were so over the top eager to help us, they called me back within an hour. We were in a crisis situation, and this made all the difference. Breakfast is the same everyday, but when I go for lunch and dinner, and they seem to have a good variety. If they could cut up the meat on the plates for them, that would be helpful, I think.

Jennifer is wonderful!! Ver...

Jennifer is wonderful!! Very nice facility. Met many staff people and some residents. Liked the independent apts better then the assisted living. Toilets were low which is a problem. Very close to Drs and hospitals. Nice area of Savannah plus close to shopping. Am considering this one.

Excellent reviews for Habersham House

My parents moved into Habersham House about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The first night I asked them to just go for dinner since it was my anniversary.I was planning on letting them return to my house until the next day since they seemed reluctant at first. We had moved their basic furniture in and we were waiting for the hospital bed to arrive. The staff at Habersham House made it happen that day. The bed arrived and was put together during dinner. After dinner my mom called and said they were spending the night. They are very happy with their room and the staff are wonderful. There is a therapist on staff so Mom doesn't have to leave the premises for physical therapy and she has gotten to know her therapist personally. They are very happy with the food and my Mom is very grateful not to have to cook anymore. They have been married almost 60 yrs and I'm so glad we toured Habersham House first because it just seemed like it was meant to be.I have no complaints and feel very good about their care.

Wonderful place and wonderf...

Wonderful place and wonderful, caring staff. It is assisted living and Mama is not exactly ready for this level yet. Jennifer was super smart and a problem solver.

Of the places I have visited, this wo...

Of the places I have visited, this would be my preferred. Dining arrangements great. Residences seemed happy. Well taken care of. Many activities available.

Extremely warm environment. Very pers...

Extremely warm environment. Very personable management staff. Units are a little smaller than expected but nice. Month to month rental is a plus. He really liked this facility. Very strong posibility according to him.

For older adults seeking companionship, security, or requiring customized assisted living care, Habersham House Senior Residence provides the perfect place to enjoy life.
We are conveniently located in the center of Savannah, and in the heart of Savannah’s downtown Historic District. Our tastefully decorated common areas are bright and pleasant. Residents can make new friends, socialize, exercise, participate in activities, or just relax and enjoy fresh air and nature from our garden patio or wraparound screened porch.

We offer a full and varied activities program that focuses on each resident’s social, physical, spiritual, emotional, and cognitive well-being. Our gracious dining room provides an intimate atmosphere for daily meals.
Habersham House offers a variety of floor plans to fir your individual needs, tastes, and lifestyles.
Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s or other memory impairment can be a challenge. Our SEASONS Memory Support Community can be the best choice for you and your family. Our purposefully designed residence creates a warm environment that helps minimize confusion and agitation. Our exceptional staff nurtures the residents to maximize their quality of life.