Glen Oaks Alzheimer’s Special Care Center - Urbandale, IA

Floor Design Is In The Shape Of A HorseShoe

This community is a little newer than others that we have seen. We liked the floor plan being that it is shaped in a horseshoe pattern so the residents can continuously walk without stopping.
The community is very clean very well kept. The staff is friendly very accommodating they adjust to my mother's ever changing needs. In dealings with the residents, the staff is always professional.

A nice community

Things are going very well at this community for mom. The staff are very good and they do offer some daily activities. The food is average. They keep the community clean and the small grounds are taken care of. I would recommend this community.

An ok place for a respite stay

My loved one did a short respite stay at this community. The staff were nice, however there seemed to be some disorganization. The clothes were mixed up. The community was clean.

A good fit!

So far, things are going well for my mother since her move to Glen Oaks. My sister just visited her yesterday and her dad that mom is doing great. [Removed] has been wonderful. She goes above and beyond to make sure that she had transportation to get my mother to the facility and came up with a care plan for her. It has truly been a good experience.

Outstanding Staff!!

I think the staff have been outstanding to my loved one at this community. They have made sure to keep in good communication with my family and I on his treatment plan as well as providing her with great quality of care. I could not have asked for a better group of caregivers to care for her while I am not around. He has no complaints about the food and is slowly starting to get involved in some of the activities they have throughout the week. Overall we are very pleased and would recommend this place to anyone.

Such loving and caring people here!

I have a very good relationship with some of the staff members at Glen Oaks. [Removed], an LPN is there during the day and answers any questions I have and brings up concerns about my wife. [Removed], the administrator is very friendly and walks around and interacts with the residents and knows most of them by name. My wife is an easy patient and the staff calls her sweetie and honey and are very kind towards her. One day I was in the dining hall with my wife and we saw a lady sitting at the table crying, I'm not sure if she is an Alzheimer's patient and my wife asked me to console her. I walked up and grabbed her hand and told her everything would be okay and to look at the positives. A few days later I saw her sitting with my wife and playing games. My wife is under hospice care here and her hospice volunteer comes in once a week and does a wonderful job. We chose Glen Oaks because it was highly recommend by a friend of mine who's loved one was a resident. It means a lot to me when someone who's been there has such positive things to say. My wife still wishes she was home but understands she can't be. I don't think she would be completely happy anywhere but she's the happiest she can be at Glen Oaks.

Tour for care

I toured this community for care. The staff were nice and caring. The community was clean .We wanted a community where he had a apartment of his own and he did not want to share due to privacy. They had a lot of what we were looking for .We would recommend this community for other families for the needs of a loved one for the value of care.

As always, any health care facility should be personally viewed by family. Yes, I toured and thought it would be Ok for my loved one, but I did not place them in this facility.

Honest people

My father is getting very well. He is getting to know other residents and the staff are always upbeat. They are upfront about anything dad might need. They really pay attention to his needs. They have a lot of great activities, they even had my father dancing to an Elvis song. This place has everything he needs and we are truly happy with the choice.

Really nice facility!

Everything has been going well with my loved one since the move at Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center. The staff have taken really good care of our loved one. They offer a variety of healthy options and are very accommodating with meals. The community does a great job engaging her with activities. They offer bus ride tours, musical entertainment, and games.

Finding a place for my husband wasn't the easiest task and I surely don't know what I would have done without the help of A Place For Mom. Since moving him into Glen Oaks things have been great! He really likes it there and even participates in the activities which is not like him at all! He's made cinnamon rolls and volunteered at Well Fargo with the residents and is really enjoying himself! The staff are great and take really good care of the residents! I am very happy with Glen Oaks!

Lorene Bower

Thank you for taking the time to share about your positive experience at Glen Oaks. We are committed to providing the highest quality of life and engagement possible for your husband and the other residents of Glen Oaks.

Excellent memory care community

I think they do an excellent job at Glen Oaks Alzheimers Care. The staff really went out of their way to help my loved one get settled in and comfortable, and they've done a great job taking care of him. I like that the whole community is focused on memory care, and he's not just in a specialized wing. They're definitely worth a look if you're searching for memory care options in the area!

Sweet Relief

We came across Glen Oaks through "A Place For Mom". Tara from Glen Oaks was the first person to call me after " A Place For Mom" sent out our information, and that was literally within the hour of getting off the phone with them. We scheduled a tour and were very pleasantly surprised at the flow of the facility. The fact that it specializes in Alzheimer's/Dimentia kind of sealed the deal for us. My Grandma was in a different facility at the time and just wasn't getting the care we'd hoped for. Neglect, filth and loneliness pretty much sums that previous place up. But Glen Oaks has been such a delightful change of pace and reassuring to say the least. There are always activities going on, the staff makes you feel very comfortable and let you know you're not alone in any of this. They also do monthly support groups which have helped my mom immensely and she's only gone to one so far! I definitely recommend this facility to anyone who is at a loss as to where they can take their loved one when Alzheimer's starts taking over. If you're like "where do u even start?" "A Place For Mom" is spectacular as well. Thank you Glen Oaks and all your staff. You have made us very confident in knowing Grandma is safe and being cared for when we can't be there!

Very clean, friendly, light. Not like a room that your loved one has to stay in.

Lorene Bower

Thank you for your positive review! We are glad you have found our community to be friendly and inviting. We are committed to maintaining a high-quality of life in a gracious, home-like environment for our residents.

Save yourself the stress & money and go some place else.

We placed my father in this facility after having two evaluations. My mom was very clear and honest with his struggles and advanced stage of his disease. They accepted him and within a few days of paying started making calls to us with complaints of things all Alzheimer patients struggle with. They kept saying they needed to educate their staff better? It's very apparent that the new director is inexperienced and was just looking to fill a bed. Even though they advertise as a Special Care, Alzheimer care facility, make sure your loved one is in the beginning stages and can still care for themselves if you want to put them in this facility. The place is very nicely designed and the staff is very nice, but they are clearly inexperienced and understaffed in caring for most Alzheimer patients. This was one of the most stressful experiences we had to deal with. We moved him to [different community] His care has been fabulous with no complaints. He goes to the bathroom and we have not had any of the aggression complaints. He's happy and doing well. Since moving my dad, we have heard from multiple people that their loved ones were kicked out of Glen Oaks after a short time too. Save yourself the stress and money and go some place else.

Lorene Bower

Thank you for sharing your opinion of Glen Oaks. The journey of dementia is different for every resident and it is our intent to address each resident as an individual. We would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience, please contact Glen Oaks to speak to the Administrator or to request contact information for the Regional Director.

Management was not very good

The staff was wonderful but the management was not very good. I did not have a good experience here. The facility was clean and the staff was friendly but overall I did not have a good experience here.

It Was Okay

When my aunt first got their is was really good and they took care of her. Then something happened and I would say they dont pay much attention or help the handicapped people as they should.

They are doing an excellent job.

They are doing an excellent job. It's a great facility. It's all good. The people there are great. He participates in all the activities. It was very comparable to other places in value, and they were really good about working with me on the pricing.

Dirty, smells like urine

Dirty and smells of urine. Residents don't look clean. Staff looks overworked, stressed, and hurried. Nurse on evening shift acts like a spoiled brat, and won't take ideas from family. Food is bland. Have been serving powdered milk at meals to save money. Kitchen staff are rude to residents. High turnover of staff. New faces everyday! Nursing super and administrator both left abruptly. Makes me think something is going on? Looking for another place for my relative.

Great Staff!!

Response time to requests can be a little slow, when I asked if I can have him scheduled for a haircut, it took three weeks. I don't know when the podiatrist is here, in the five weeks we've been here and he has not been here. I have eaten with my dad, and the meals seem very balanced and nutritious, they could be seasoned a little more. The biggest thing I would say is just a little more salt and pepper. They are very conscientious about getting fluids in them. They have a choice of what to eat, and they get to see a visual plate of each thing. All of the staff is really nice, and helpful. No one avoids the undesirable situations. Sometimes I feel they are a little short staffed. I can come and join into the activities, if I want.

They are an exceptionally good value. They are very, very good.

They are an exceptionally good value. They are very, very good. They are the only ones that have been willing to work with us and meet us halfway. When it comes to food they all have a tremendous glycemic load, and the state has some insane calorie requirements. So there are some nutrition concerns about what is imposed by the state. Some of the meals are almost all starch. That is by no way a reflection on Glen Oaks. When I brought my brother to visit and see, when we walked out he said, "Wow what a find!".

God-Send for our Mom

We found ourselves in a rather urgent situation in October in regards to care for our mom who has advancing Alzheimer's. Day Care was not going to work and Dad needed respite care at minimum. My Dad and sister visited approximately 8 centers and fell in love with Glen Oaks. They are an Alzheimer's care center specifically. We placed Mom for a one week respite, or so we thought. After one week we realized that this was the perfect place for mom. The staff are diligent, attentive, creative and compassionate. The center is close to dad and he is welcome at any hour of the day or night. They have a day full of activities appropriate for their Alzheimer's community. I truly believe that this facility is a God-Send for our family.

OUTSTANDING!!!

They're outstanding! My wife was there for 7 weeks and then she passed unexpectedly but while she was there she had tons of friends and what surprised me when they would visit they would say wow, this place is absolutely fantastic. Glen Oaks has big wide hallways so people can get around comfortably in wheelchairs. There is lots of light and it beautifully decorated. They would furnish the room but it was just a regular sized bed and a night stand because they didn't want them to stay in their rooms. They would get them up in the morning and then they had activities all day long. They keep them engaged. The staff is so well trained. It's a lot of young people that know everyone by name. It was absolutely exciting to watch. I would give that place an A+ and recommend it to anyone!

I really struggled having to move her from home but once she got there she was happier there than she was at home. It's clean, neat, and the staff is spectacular. They have a little social director there that is just fantastic at keeping those people entertained. Every wed the would have an outing for those who wanted to go. They took a great picture of my wife on a hayride in an apple orchard. They are just amazing, really!

My mother entered Glen Oaks...

My mother entered Glen Oaks on the premise of a one week respite, I believe dad will be extending that respite for another week and will most likely be placing mom in the near future. My sister and my father are so happy with this facility and mom's adjustment has been quite smooth with no drama. It has only been 4 days, but it has been 4 days that have provided us with much peace.

Not for everyone

Beautiful, clean care center with great location in nice, convenient setting. Large rooms with large windows and natural light. Nicely furnished and maintained. Wonderful surroundings for those who have severe Alzheimer's Disease. My husband with Parkinson's Disease, who has severely limited mobility, was not allowed to use his motorized cart. Understandable from the point of safety for the other residents, but isolated him as he is totally helpless without the cart. He cannot move a wheelchair himself and relies on others for most things. Her requires too much care to be comfortable at Glen Oaks. He understands most of what is going on around him and the Alzheimer's level of interaction was not satisfactory for him. Know that, as expected, residents of AD care centers have interaction at a low [removed] child like games, simple food and a low expectation regarding activities, personal care and self direction.

Recommend them to anyone, there's always staff there

They're great, it's been wonderful. The activity that he enjoys the most is they have what they call a "mens club" and they get to have a beer (its O'Douls or something like that). He's been over to the regency which is right next door; I guess they get to go when there's a bowling thing or crafts, they've got some sort of connection with them so they get to go over there every once in a while. The staff is top notch, everybody knows his name, they know my name, there's always somebody mulling about and you never have to go and find somebody. When you walk in there's a hallway going to the right, the left and straight in front of you and the end in windows. There's big wide hallways, lots of windows and there's a courtyard they can go to. If I had to choose a place to go to when I got older, just on floorplan, I would chose this place. it has everything a person would need without walking out the door.

Lots of different activities.

At this time I would give them a five. I think the cares been good, they take good care of him, hes clean, hes good, he seems to be in good hands. I stop in to visit and he's always taken care of. They have a lot of activities going on all the time, I would say three or four times a day, they have different activities and they encourage him to participate. He doesn't really particiapte a lot at this point, not because they don't encourage him but he just isn't.

Excellent Community

We chose the community because of all the reason we rated above. We just can't say anything bad about Glen Oaks. They really tried hard to make it work for us and still continue to try hard. They are very accommodating. We are pleased with Glen Oaks.