Bickford of West Des Moines - West Des Moines, IA

The director, [Name removed], was very kind and knowledgeable. The facility, however, was dark and not cheerful. The rooms were very small and a bit dingy. A small facility. It could be a good solution for some, but not what I was looking for for my mother.

Very Isolated

While looking at various options for my loved one, we toured this facility. The feeling kind of has a traditional nursing home atmosphere. They called it a memory care but there seemed to be no designated area for memory care. We also didn’t seem people out and about which made it seem very isolated. My loved one would have to walk a long way to go to eat her meals and she is not much of a walker. The also seemed to be very pushy and wanted us to sign papers that day. Of course we went ahead and selected a different property.

Care and attention

I toured this community for care. I was happy with the cleanliness of the community and the staff would answer my questions on the care that is offered. The menu was appealing. They do have activities for the residents. I would recommend families to see for themselves what this community can offer a loved one.

The Right Place For Mom

I am happy with the staff they are very nice. Mom is doing really well and adjusting. they are really good there, if the residents don't come out they knock on their door and invite them to meals or activities so they know, its very helpful when you have dementia. The food is good and mom is not losing weight and eating well. They have things all day long like exercise, crafts, play bingo, different card games a lot more. I like it because it is smaller and not as many residents, more interaction and all on one level. It's easy for mom to get around.

Very friendly staff!!

I enjoyed my tour very much of this community, it was only three minutes walking distance from my house and a very convenient location. The staff was very professional and welcoming to my mother and I. I loved the fact that they where willing to work with local programs and rehabs to make sure my mom would get all of the help that she would need. Unfortunately they did not have any openings for my mother at the time so I had to choose a different facility.

The entire staff are very friendly and easy to get along with!!!

They offer a variety of activities Monday through Friday. I would like to see some activities on the weekend. The food looks good and smells good. The chef is willing to assist in anyway they can. They have done a good job of accommodating her diet. The community is clean and I have already recommended this community. I would also recommend A Place for Mom.

I Enjoyed My Tour Of This Community

My tour of this facility went pretty well. I met with head of the administration, and he was very kind and informative. From what I saw the community appeared to be well maintained. The staff was nice and friendly as well. It was a very nice tour.

First one. My on line look: Space looked small and tight. But after I was their it was cozy like a home. Staff had been with them long term. Heidi was very helpful to me to understand the process. I liked it as it felt like a home.

LOTS OF PROBLEMS HERE!

I would NEVER recommend this place. I stayed there for about a month: 1. The room call buttons either often didn't work, or they often didn't show up to answer them (even when they saw I was seriously sick!). 2. They forgot my meals 3 times ( I got the meals in my room). 3. It took 2 weeks for them to present my paperwork to sign, and answer my questions (on basics like when are meals, laundry done, etc). I requested that info often. 4. Many times, I requested copies of all the papers I had signed. A couple of days before I left, they only gave me some of those copies. 5. My bill was incorrectly calculated. 6. Numerous other incidences, for which I got constant lack of communication and many excuses, from the local and corporate staff. 7. There were a few GOOD things: Very clean, and fabulous homemade meals by the 2 chefs!

We began our quest into senior living because of our love for our beloved mother, Mary Bickford, whose needs became too great for us to manage. As we researched senior living options, we were shocked at our findings. The options offered too much or too little – none met her needs and nothing felt like home. Since we couldn’t find what we wanted, we decided to create what we needed. Our main desire was to create a place that helped her achieve an equivalent peace and happiness that she had earlier in her life.

We understand that selecting a senior living community for your loved one is one of the toughest decisions that you will ever face. We will work with you to ensure that the transition is as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether your loved one is at home, in the hospital or even in another state, we can work with your hospital, insurance company, and doctor to make your difficult decision easier on you and your family. Aging can be difficult – but we’ve also seen the beauty in aging. Our mother’s happiness inspired us. We created Bickford for her and now we’re devoted to serving yours. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Services