Fred Lind Manor - Seattle, WA

Cna

Poor staffing especially the CNA, they should fire that scheduler she doesnt know what she is doing

Swindled and Pimpef

Run by greedy, careless administrators that cut corners,[removed]

FL is run on the cheap: frazzled CNAs who staff the desk, help residents, do laundry, administer medication, serve meals and generally run the show with very little oversight. Many are immigrants doing the most difficult work for little pay.

There's an on-site nurse, [name removed] (I'll get to him, later) and he's the only supervising health professional on site. He's there M-F from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Should you even utter the words, "do you know where I can find [name removed]?" you'll get a dismissive scoff from the staff, "who knows when he's here!" When I do find [removed], he's in his office doing paperwork. I have never seen him with a patient.

Care issues that my family member ran into, while being "take care of" at Fred Lind:

1. They made no fewer than 6 documented medication errors. I also learned that one of these medications had NEVER been giving during the entire course of my relative's stay at Fred Lind, which was about a year.

2. My family member was twice given morphine, which I suspect (but cannot prove) was given to either incapacitate her to make her more manageable -- even though my family member made it very clear that she does not want to take pain medication.

3. My family member is on oxygen and has pulmonary issues. Aides tipped the diffuser on the oxygen machine, which pumped water into the tubing (can you say pneumonia?) and dripped into her nasal cannula.

4. When my family member developed a skin condition, we had an outside care agency providing wound care. The visiting nurse was very skilled, and recognized that the two wounds needed different treatment. One needed drying (silver powder) and the other needed moisture (antibacterial ointment). Fred Lind reversed the care and ended up [removed]. And of course, charged us an extra $60/month in wound care.

5. My family member fell out of bed and laid on the ground for 8 hours without anyone checking on her. She has arthritis and was unable to raise her arm high enough to reach the emergency cord. [name removed] shifted the blame to my family member, saying that she "lacks the judgement" to call for help and blamed her for "being confused." However, my family member said she called for help until she was hoarse, and this is an outrageous thing to say to an older person [removed] left on the floor all night.

6. [name removed]. The most anxious, strange individual I have ever met. I'm shocked that he's in geriatrics, because he catastrophizes and says things like the following, all mentioned when my family member was completely healthy, self-transferring and ambulatory:

-"soon she'll be bed-ridden and unable to transfer herself"
-"she's going to be totally incapacitated"
-"she needs a wheelchair and transfers to everything; she can't walk"
-"she weighs [weight] and it's a burden for our staff to help someone so heavy"
Note: my family member is plump, but not exactly the half-ton man!

We experienced a constant barrage of negative messages from [name removed] about how horrible our relative's health was, or how she was on the verge of dying, etc. We'd rush over to FL only to find her eating popcorn and watching the baseball game. Nonetheless, our family member, who uses a walker, had to be pushed everywhere in a wheelchair and wasn't allowed to go anywhere without being accompanied -- for a fee, of course.

When we one day found our relative in bed and unresponsive, after seeing two back-to-back doses of morphine, which our relative always refuses, we had this sinking feeling (which again, we can't prove) that the medication was given to fulfill [name removed] prophecy and bully our relative out of the facility.

7. GREED.

My relative ran out of assets and had to sell her house. As you might imagine, this is a process that takes time, and our family communicated with FL throughout. A week before the house closed, the Director, [removed], sent an [removed] message, accusing our family of elder financial abuse and Medicaid abuse (she's not even Medicaid eligible or on Medicaid). "That can be the only explanation for your failure to pay, and if you do not remit payment promptly, I will have to report you and have you investigated."

I recognize that this is a lame-a** attempt to scare and threaten us into paying, but was harassing, slanderous and downright uncalled for.

If I had more space in this review, I could go on and on. Bottom line: if you're thinking about moving your family member to Fred Lind, think twice!

Positives: * Neighborhood l...

Positives: * Neighborhood location; building in good shape * Facility/ rooms small, homey-feel * Flexible eating schedule Negatives: * Must buy one meal a day * Resident's did not seem to have personal relationship with staff; lact of name interaction [removed] Consider visiting again with Mom in Sept./ Oct.

Love the staff I met and the location...

Love the staff I met and the location is perfect for me. Director was delightful and very helpful with information on the non-profit option compared to the larger chain options. The rooms and amenity spaces were not as nice as some other spaces, but the location is urban so there is not a lot of room to grow. The room prices are the lowest I have seen.

This is the place for Mom.

This is the place for Mom.

Situated on the crest of Capitol Hill, Fred Lind Manor offers all the excitement of city life amid the sanctuary of a quiet residential neighborhood.

Since 1988 Fred Lind Manor has been dedicated to providing seniors with quality care and a vibrant lifestyle supported by a Christ-honoring tradition. As a small non-profit organization, Fred Lind Manor is committed to maintaining affordable rates and delivering the best assisted living services in the area.

Residents can select from studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments. All are complimented by kitchenettes, senior-friendly bathrooms, emergency call systems, and ample closet space. Some apartments even feature sweeping views of the Cascades and Lake Washington. But finding the best retirement community is never really about pretentious real estate.

At Fred Lind Manor you’ll discover that it’s the quality of the people that sets this community apart from the rest. For example, 92% of the dining room staff have been with Fred Lind for over a year – it goes without saying that they know how Helen and Harry take their coffee.

Residents craving a boost to their social life won’t be disappointed. Hop on board the big green bus and venture to Seattle’s waterfront, Snoqualmie Falls, and even the casinos. Sign up for art classes, enjoy live entertainment or test your arm in our Wii Bowling League.

Enjoy the convenience of weekly housekeeping, transportation to doctors, three meals a day, and an on-site beauty salon.

Come explore this true urban oasis, where the people are real and the community is inviting.