English Meadows - Christiansburg, VA

Looked like an old VA barrick

I was not impressed with this community, it is old, run down and the rooms were very dark and drab. Even the furniture in the rooms was old and worn out. It was like an old VA Barrick. I will say that the staff helping me with my tour did a good job showing me around and they were able my answers questions. I would not move my dad here.

Person at desk was confused when we showed up for our scheduled tour and had to go looking for someone. Unattractive inside and out. No nice outside areas. Inside seemed cramped. Lighting poor inside, and color scheme dark. Activity schedule not as extensive as elsewhere. Limited menu. Looked like a bad high-school kitchen. Food spilled on floor when we passed through dining area was only partially cleaned up when we came back through. Stale odors in rooms we were shown. Will definitely not move my Mom into such an unattractive facility.

My visit.

This community is a little less expensive than the community mom is currently living in. The people I met were nice and were on the ball when answering my questions. The community seemed clean when I visited.

My advise is: take a tour. The facilities are not fancy, new, and shiny, but don't let that deter you. The staff is excellent. The place truly has a family atmosphere. Locally owned. When I visited a band playing (guitar and bass) and the residents singing. The residents seemed happy. From what gathered, they have a low staff turnover, always a good sign.

not best place for elderly

The care from staff very poor
Each day my mother has to try to get back to her room on her own. Other clients as well are pushing one another back to room after eating
staff does not complete every 2 hour checks as was told on admission
she is left in wheelchair for hours between meals
i have yet to see floor vaccum
The crumbs on floor are there week after week
you may wonder why she remains here
very few choices in area
yes family has verbally complained to supervisor and owners no changes

They took really, really good care of him.

They took really, really good care of him. It's not a fancy place, but the staff is just excellent, they care about the people. For the money they were very reasonable. I wouldn't mind living there myself. They kept me informed. I was always comfortable with him being there. The social director was good about getting him and taking him for activities. The food is very good, it's all home made and freshly made and you can watch them cooking it. Even the kitchen staff, took an interest in the people. They were very welcoming. April was really great in helping me get him out of a bad rehab situation.

Although my Mom has been there only f...

Although my Mom has been there only for one month, I have found the folks at English Meadows to be very caring and personable. I have observed this not only with my Mom but also with other residents living there.

They keep her socializing

They're for the most part very good, she hasn't been there but a couple of weeks but things have been going fine for the most part. I'm sure there's things they could improve on but I don't know what yet. She's been going down with the group for meals and watching television, they do very well to get her out of her room and be around other people. There are a couple of ladies that she knew here from before so that helped her decide where to go.

Felt More Like A Nursing Home

What we didn't like about it was it wasn't as private and clean looking when we were choosing a place. What I didn't like was walking down the halls and seeing doors open with older people just lying in bed, sort of like a nursing home type thing. They were a good little bit cheaper than the other place we were looking at but we still wanted to get the best we could for mom.

English Meadows is a fully licensed assisted living facility located in Christiansburg, Va. We are locally owned and operated. There comes a time when the ones we love require a certain level of care and attention that we can't provide for them on our own. Making the decision to place them in an environment they're not familiar with can be very difficult. We all want the absolute best for our loved ones. That is why our professional staff is dedicated to providing the very best in senior care, making sure they feel right at home. English Meadows alleviates the concern of finding the right place for your loved ones. Our facility provides prepared meals, housekeeping, an indoor commons area and countless activities to entertain and involve our cherished residents. There are nurses on site, doctors on call and visiting therapists that make up the community of English Meadows. Hospice is also available. We understand how important it is that the elderly receive the attention and care necessary to live long, healthy lives. Our professionally trained staff provides the nurturing and attention you may not find in other places. Stop by or give us a call and see why English Meadows is the perfect home for the ones we love.