Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg - Christiansburg, VA

Couldn't have chosen a better place

My loved one is in this facility. It is very warm and inviting. During my search I look at two other places. I couldn't have been happier choosing Commonwealth, they know my mother's behavior and personality. When she wasn't acting like herself they call me and let me know. We were able to get a doctors appointment and she was back to herself. The staff greets me every time I walk in with smiling faces. At the first of the month they have a dinner for all the families to come to and it is a chance to be with my mother. It was the right chose in my book. I highly recommend.

My experience with CAL Christiansburg VA

Nearly three years ago I began looking for an assisted living facility for my mother Candy Leary. My parents lived in Lancaster County PA and my father had recently passed away. It was evident my mother could not live by herself. So I began looking into assisted living in the Blacksburg / Christiansburg VA area since I wanted her close to me. CAL was recommended to me so we visited the facility and I was thoroughly impressed. The staff could not have been more caring and I knew I had found a place where Mom could live happily and safely. And as they say, the rest is history. An already beautiful facility, the complex received a number of recent upgrades that make it even more appealing. There are plenty of activities for her and she really enjoys living at CAL. For me personally I find great comfort knowing she is well taken care of when I travel. We're so blessed to have CAL in our com munity and could not be more pleased with the remarkable services they provide. Well Done!!

Overall, I, but more importantly my mom, has been well pleased with Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg. From the beginning working with Robin Sutphin, the Sales and Marketing Director, until the present, the experience has been a pleasure. There have been a few bumps in the road but “The Staff” has always come through when we hit one of the bumps. Thanks again to the entire crew at Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg for the care you are giving my mom.

Personal Care Puts My Mind at Ease

I am writing this to relate my recent experience working with Robin Sutphin, Melissa Heath and the staff at Commonwealth Assisted Living in Christiansburg, VA.

My uncle had been living independently in a CCRC in Baltimore, MD. After suffering a mild stroke, it became apparent that he would require additional support. The community he was living in could not provide the services or environment he required. As his primary caregiver and living approximately six hours away, I began my search for a community that would meet his needs and ensure a continued high quality of life. Recommendations from friends brought me to CAL Christiansburg.

My initial meeting with Robin Sutphin immediately put by mind at ease. She was more than generous with her time, providing my wife and me with a complete tour of the facility while explaining the services available to residents. She never rushed us and answered all the questions we had in a compassionate and professional manner. Her experience handling situations like my uncles was evident and I found this to be especially reassuring at a very anxious time. Ms. Sutphin came in on the weekends to accommodate my work travel schedule and was there on a Sunday afternoon to personally welcome my uncle and make him feel at home. She and Ms. Heath were persistent advocates for my uncle when working with the medical and administrative personnel at his previous CCRC. I was impressed and very appreciative of the manner in which they handled the details of his approval to CAL and the seamless transfer they arranged while always keeping me informed. Ms. Sutphin even arranged for temporary furnishings for my uncle until his could be moved from Baltimore.

My uncle is 85 years old and having lived in Baltimore his entire life, as expected, he is experiencing some transitional anxiety. Ms. Sutphin is going out of her way to address his every concern from food, to social integration to the parking lot lighting outside his room. I have found her to be honest, knowledgeable and extremely supportive as my uncle continues to move through this difficult transitional period. As his primary family care provider, I feel blessed to have found someone like Ms. Sutphin to help guide me and answer my questions. Over the past month that I’ve worked with Ms. Sutphin, it is clearly evident to me that she takes a personal interest in each resident, and treats everyone she meets with care, dignity, and respect.

My Mother has been in this facility for a little over a year. In the first few months she was able to care for herself, but steadily declined to the point where she needs a lot of care in ADL's including wheelchair assistance to get to meals and activities. I have called Adult Protective Services 3 times in the past 6 months and my complaints justified, once they came in to take pictures of her arm which was bruised and swollen from a fall, the staff had reported she was "fine with no injuries". Most recently, a fall late in the evening she hit her head,and as always I went to check on her. The staff never bothered to check on her thru the night to make sure she was ok. Recently, in the room next to my mother, a resident was calling for help and I found her lying on the floor. I went to the staff and even offered to assist them to get her up as I could not do it myself. They told me they had already assessed her and would get to her!! On a Saturday evening, I went in to give Mom a shower. She had not been bathed for several days being told they were just too busy and short staffed. One person even told her she had "Never given a Bath". Several times, Mom has been offered the same soup for lunch and dinner or Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. Last night, Mom had no Hot not even Warm water as I was helping her get ready for bed, she stated someone else had said that earlier in the day also. I went to the Staff at 9:15 pm and reported this. They told me they were unaware. As a Health care worker myself, I was appalled! Does anyone Wash their Hands? I called the Health Department, but got No Response. I followed up this morning on my way to work at 7:30 am there was still no hot water. This is what the Commonwealth Assisted Living Facility is providing our loved ones. I live only two miles away and visit almost every night. These things happen often. I am sure many other residents do not have family who live as close or are able to visit frequently and are totally unaware. I have also called the regional director on more than one occasion and have not gotten much response to my concerns.
These Services cost my Mom and Many Others about $4400 a month.

Commonwealth Senior Living

On behalf of Commonwealth Assisted Living, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us and apologize that you are having concerns at one of our communities. Providing our residents and their families with high-quality care, dignity, respect, and compassion is our top priority. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and discuss your concerns personally to ensure that they are resolved. My e-mail address is [removed] and my phone number is [removed].

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you.
Earl C. Parker
Chief Operating Officer
Commonwealth Assisted Living

It is very difficult to adequately express our appreciation for your wonderful care of Elvis during the past 3 months and we will be forever grateful to you. It is extremely painful to see a charismatic, charming, and courteous parent gradually lose ability to think for himself and to carry on daily activities. However, the staff made that process so much easier for us and even more importantly for Elvis, always affording him the greatest dignity and treating him as an individual.

Caring for the elderly cannot be an easy job, however, throughout his stay, every member of the staff team made a difference in his day. We know he is happier now and doing all the former things he could do. Thank you again for all the smiles, hugs, and love you showed Elvis.

My top choice

This was very nice, probably a little better up kept than English Meadows. If it would have just been my choice, I probably would have chosen this one. They tried to keep them involved with other people in the facility and they had tv rooms and they did activities with them a couple of times a week. I don't think they provided more activities than English Meadows it was just newer and seemed nicer and the staff were very helpful, the lady I did the tour with was very nice.

Very Understaffed

Up until recently I'd have probably given them a 4 but now I'm in the neighborhood of a 2. Mom missed 3 meals over there because they didn't go get her. She had fallen here about a month ago. They're very short staffed over there. The fall was not their fault but she broke two ribs and fractured her spine and needed a little extra care and on 3 occasions she missed meals. She missed supper one night and when I finally got a hold of them at 7:30pm they told me they were feeding her then. She had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for supper that night. I was very disappointed with that.

The cleanliness probably sold us on it first; it's a very neat home. There's been a lot of staff turn over. There is only one lady that is still there from when we moved mom in 4 months ago. It's definitely changed. If Wheatland can get their staff under control and get more people I'd give them a better rating but I can't do that today.

Welcome to Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg, a premier senior living community in Virginia with a variety of living choices for seniors with a wide range of needs and lifestyle preferences. Our community provides comprehensive services for residents in a caring and home-like atmosphere. We believe in meeting the unique needs of all of our residents and offer many types of care, including spacious rooms in our assisted living community and cottages for our more independent residents. Our convenient location in Christiansburg is one of our community’s many distinctive qualities and allows easy access to healthcare facilities, shopping and entertainment.

Our residents have access to many fabulous amenities and special programs for our independent living residents as well as our memory care residents. For instance, our signature Sweet Memories program, which received a best practice award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association, is designed specifically for those with memory care, Alzheimer’s or dementia. Our full-time activities director coordinates daily activities, trips and social programs. Residents enjoy private or companion suites with a private bath and their pets are welcome too! With no expensive entrance fees, enjoying life at Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg is an affordable option. We also believe in personal and dignified care which is why team members are on-site 24 hours a day and we develop an individualized care plan for each resident. We understand that everyone has unique needs and we tailor services to our residents, such as medication management and assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and grooming.

At our community, residents experience all the comforts of home plus maintenance-free living surrounded by friends, neighbors and compassionate caregivers! With a variety of living options, you’ll be sure to feel right at home. Explore Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg further and schedule a tour today.