Desert Flower Assisted Living - Scottsdale, AZ

Very nice property but, again, not in our budget. Must let it go.

Amazing

Our experience with Desert Flower has been amazing from the very first phone call. The attitude of the staff and residents is wonderful. Everything about Desert Flower shows their class, professionalism, and friendliness. The community feels happy to me when each time I visit. I would highly recommend Desert Flower to anyone looking for an amazing place for their loved one.

Staff is personable

Everything has been going great so far with my love one being here. The facility is much secured and they have security at the front door at certain hours. The staff team is very friendly and they know everyone by their first name. There is a very personable atmosphere here. The facility is newly renovated so it does have that certain appeal to it. The residents as well seem very happy and the facility provides lots of activities. I recommend this facility.

[Removed] was pleasant & thorough. Amenities were sufficient. Pro: rooms were nice, but cabinetry was dated. Room configuration is in a square to form an indoor walking path. Con: no outdoor walking paths, no fitness equipment/room. Laundry room per floor.

Price Was Right For Us

Mom seems to be doing very well since moving here. She has a very comfortable living space. She is participating in cricket competitions and going to happy hours they hold. She seems to be enjoying the food no complaints about the most part. The staff is wonderful extremely nice and pleasant. The price they were offering was much more affordable than other communities that we had looked at. I would recommend them.

Friendly staff!!

We had a good tour of Desert Flower Assisted Living. The community was clean and well maintained. The people there were all very friendly and helpful, it was just not what we were looking for at the time.

Terrible facility!

This was not a good move for my mother. I would never place her in this facility again, and I would never recommend the facility to anyone else.

Tour and concern

I toured this community for the care that I needed for my husband's care. The staff was very helpful to answer the questions that we had on the care that is given. We liked that this community was clean and the residents liked the environment. They have a nice menu and a lot of great activities to be the offered to the residents who want to participate. We would recommend that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one's needs.

A great respite stay!

My mother was at Desert Flower for a 3-week respite stay and it was a good experience. The staff there were very attentive and caring. I would not hesitate sending her back to Desert Flower for respite if needed again, they do a good job.

Care and comfort

This is a nice place to good care. The staff are always nice and caring. The meals are good and a variety. The community is very clean. We like that they are offered activiites. We would recommend this community for the good care and value

Spectacular place!!

The Desert Flower Assisted Living was a beautiful place. It was brand new and we loved the culture. It was clean and they seemed to have a lot of activities and things going on. We did not have lunch there, so we did not get a chance to try the food. We would have chosen it if it wasn't for the location. It was too far from our home.

Lousy experience with Desert Flower

My daughters and I moved their mother into Desert Flower five years ago, and the first couple of years were fine. JK was content and adapted to her new life away from her previous home.

However, since Blue Harbor Senior Living took over three years ago, things really deteriorated -- the senior staff went away, the level of activities for the residents markedly declined, and there has continued to be substantial turnover among the senior staff.

My ex-spouse continually complained about not having enough activities -- she is a rather young Alzheimer's Dementia patient, about 70 years old, but physically she is in pretty good shape. In January, the DF staff told me that we should consider moving JK into their memory care unit (MCU), apparently primarily based upon her rather low SLUMS exam score, along with the fact -- not at all new to me -- that she could not carry on a conversation nor find her way to her apartment. Since she was at no risk of harming herself nor others, we chose to keep her in the assisted living part of the facility.

However, without the family knowing, the DF staff started taking JK into the MCU for her daytime activities.

And then in March, I received a voicemail message from DF telling me that, because of some behavioral issues, they were going to initiate termination of JK's residence agreement unless the family agreed to move her into their MCU. We had few options, and consented to that very unreasonable demand.

Since then, JK's contentment with her surroundings have seriously deteriorated. She complains about being bored and that "there is nothing going on", which is consistent with my observations when I have gone there to visit or take her to a medical appointment. Only rarely have I found her engaged; she is often in the activities and dining area with perhaps two or three other residents, some of whom are asleep in their wheelchairs, but nobody is doing anything. The residents are just there, they are not interacting with anyone, there is no music -- it is just dead!

So, our family then decided to find another place for JK, and we have. The last straw was, when presented with the written termination notice, the latest Executive Director said that they would enforce the 30-day-notice requirement. Agreed, that clause was in the residence agreement I signed, but with the poor communication between DF and the family over the last six months and their failure to provide an appropriate environment for JK, the least they could do would be to let her out of that agreement.

A Complete Community

There are many great things about this community. We have found that there is a cap at $1,000 and even if more care is needed and contract is not required. They have meals available 24/7 with many options. The community is always clean, even after the resident's pets. I really like how the residents are not separated and allowed to socialize with close supervision. They offer a trial move too with furnished apartments. Even thought the place does not look nice it has everything you want in a community and I suggest to add this place to look at. I would recommend this community!

Desert Flower has a homey atmosphere!!

My brother is settling in well at this community. The food is good and the staff really try to please you. They do offer activities however he has not been able to participate in any. The community is clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community. They only thing I would say is that I feel they need more skilled nursing staff.

Doing better. . .

There have been some changes at this facility. Most of the staff is nice, but there is a high turnover rate. There were, of course a few bad apples in the bunch, but that is practically everywhere. Desert Flower does seem to be doing better and they have managed to turn things around. Hopefully, things continue to get better and it can get back to how things were in the past.

Look Else Where

My Mom stayed here and after about 6 months and a turn over in management, her care got worse and worse. She had several unexplained falls with little follow through, We finally took her out of this facility when she was found with a fractured back with no explanation. Management lied and covered up what happened and is a disgrace to this very needed industry.

There are many good facilities and I recommend to keep on looking.

shannon Thomas

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing the finest personal care and services to our guests, and I sincerely apologize that you experienced anything less. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to the appropriate department managers, but would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in greater detail about the instances you've outlined below. I may be reached at your convenience via email at [removed] or by phone at [removed]. Can you give us an idea of when this event actually occurred so we can appropriately look into it. Shannon Thomas Executive Director Desert Flower Assisted Living and Memory Care 9185 E. Desert Cove Ave. Scottsdale AZ 85260 Phone [removed]

a lot of turn over

Desert Flower recently had a lot of turn over. They are showing a better effort now. Adult protective services did come in and I am seeing an improvement since then. I would be cautious before I would recommend this facility. I gave them a one in ratings previously and I am increasing that rating now because of the improvement. I would just say they need to get quality staff with the turn over they are experiencing.

shannon Thomas

Thank you for your continued support in Desert Flower. We have continued to make the community a safe and caring place for our team and residents. We have had many state and APS reviews over the last 12 months with excellent results from each evaluation. The community will continue to strive for excellence in all we do. Please contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns Shannon Thomas ED [removed]

They Treated Me Well

They treated me very well there over at Desert Flower. All the staff members did a very good job with everything. There is not much else to say about the place, it got a five-star rating for all of the categories

shannon Thomas

Thank you for staying with Desert Flower. Please let us know if you need assistance with anything in the future. Shannon Thomas ED [removed]

Daughter

Great place. Love the staff. The changes over the last year have be well noticed. The staff smile they are caring and always helpful. Every evening I know I will be greeting with a smile by the bubbly concierge lighting up my day. My mother has lived here for 2 years and I can say there have been days I thought about moving her in the past. I am thankful for the positive changes 2015 have brought. The management is honest and always there to lend a hand. The manager always has an open door and I know my mom is in good hands when I head home in the evening. I have never seen a individuals work so hard and take so much pride in the building. The food is good and they accommodate moms special diet needs. The activities could use some improvement but I expect good things to come with the addition of the new director. The executive director does I believe everything from moving furniture, to cooking and even climbing onto the roof when a leak occurred. The new nurse has a great smile she is full of energy and is a great addition. I love the care and compassion at Desert Flower.

Compassionate Care

My father recently was a resident at Desert Flower in Scottsdale Arizona. I cannot say enough good/great things about every aspect of his care. The management really worked with us, to make it as non stressful a process as possible. The rooms are clean, bright and very comfortable. Lastly his actual caregivers were unbelievably wonderful in their compassionate care, while there. Thank you so very much for everything.

Granddaughter

My grandmother has lived at Desert Flower for 6 months. The staff is nice. The community is beautiful. My grandmother has numerous friends. She has nothing but nice things to say about the care givers and nurses. The only complaints she has voiced is on occasion her food could be hotter. I would recommended Desert Flower to anyone looking for a good home to place a loved one.

Ray

My father has lived at Desert Flower since November 2014. He moved from a Sunrise related to the constant elevating in cost of care. After meeting with the staff at Desert Flower I was confident this would no longer be a concern when dad moved. I am a local Dentist and care for many elderly people daily. The experience has been great the staff are quick to respond when dad is not well or in need. They so compassion and care every time they enter the room. My father is very happy at Desert Flower and is proud to call it home. The team did a fantastic job yesterday at a Mothers Day lunch. This type of event on the holiday Mothers Day, Easter, New Years has made it so much easier to join dad for these events. It is impressive to see the entire management team pitching in to make these days special for the people at Desert Flower knowing they have family at home as well. Thank you all for all you do for my father. Also you have to try the Prime Rib during any visit. Outstanding.

Family member

My Aunt and Mother in law have lived at Desert Flower for 6 years now. There was some rocky periods during 2013 and the beginning of 2014 but this is all old news now. I work in an industry that also deals with many seniors and have no question when referring them that it would be Desert Flower I send them to. The staff are caring Nancy, Amanda, Edwin and Cecil are rock stars. My loved ones have never been happier. Thank you for all the years of great care.

Son of a resident

I had my mother at Desert Flower for the past few months. She just recently passed away. In my opinion, the staff and care at the facility was second to none. They are professional, competent and very caring

Better than ever!

I have been visiting Desert Flower for 10 years. I've provided private and group fitness session for residents. Current feedback from those interactions are great.Better than ever! Residents express gratitude for, and contentment with staff and the community when I ask them.I visit several communities daily and know dozens well. My observation is that Desert Flower is top tier and I would not hesitate referring people and there loved ones . With regards to staff. I have met friendly, caring, and attentive caregivers and department heads. Good moral and a sense of ease is obvious. Big congratulations to the Executive Director, Shannon Thomas. Your door is always open and you are always available. You've lead your team well and it shows. Great job everyone!

Would NOT recommend

I absolutely would not recommend this place to anyone, we had a terrible experience here. The care standards here are incredibly low. The first night my loved one was here she was given incorrect medication by a med tech, and neither the head nurse nor the manager wanted to admit any wrongdoing or take any responsibility for it. Avoid this place at all costs.

Your off to the beach now mom!

My mother has been a resident at Desert Flower since 2009. She passed away in April 2015. Through the years there have been many changes and I can honestly say 2013 to mid 2014 had some interesting challenges to be cautiously nice. In December 2014 I was invited to attend a care conference and honestly expected the worse for my first initial meeting with the new managers. To my surprise I honestly was so impressed it almost felt like the earth halted. Wow finally they actually know my mother. They understand her needs and they care about her. To my surprise it was not just a 1 day tell me what I want to hear but change nothing as I expected. The care my mother received the last 5 months was completely 100% nothing short of amazing. My mother spent the last months of her life the best possible way. The director actually curled her hair and did her make up the last 2 days of her life. This may seem minor but if you knew mom you would understand how much this would mean to her. Thank you to these people for loving mom as I did. Thank you for helping us in this difficult time with all your heart. Shannon, Edwin, Tiffany, Nancy, Sophia and so many more will always have a place in our hearts.

A Blessing to our family

A blessing. The staff was caring and helpful. My father was only there a month during his final days. The team was caring and treated him with compassion and dignity from his first day. Being a physician my family looked to me to choose the best place possible for him and i did. Our family will always be thankful for the amazing people at Desert Flower. The food was a good variety and the chef accomadated his requests. He did not join group activities but there was a good variety.

this place is very very nice well put together the staff is excellent they have no worries at all i gave the over all rating a 5 star rating i all so gave the friendliness of the staff a rating of 5 as well i would recommend this location if you need to place your loved one

The facility is a good fit for my loved one. The director is nice and caring. They answered all my questions that needed answered. Their care about their patients and other families.

very satisfied

They have been very flexible and accommodating. They were great listeners and took their time to listen and explain things to me really well.

The activities they have are good, but I do think there could be a little more variety.

Overall we are very satisfied with Desert Flower. I intentionally selected them because they were small and very friendly, and have not been disappointed.

shannon Thomas

Thank you for your review. We continue to strive for excellence.

The first few months where good for Mom at Desert Flower, but soon after new ownership brought in new upper and middle management things deteriorated very quickly.

The details are too long, so I will just say that medication errors started happening, care plan was not followed resulting in putting my Mom in a potentially very dangerous situation, bad nursing assessments occurred twice resulting in undiagnosed serious bone fractures that where very apparent to me from the pain my mom expressed when I saw her and where confirmed by x-rays and CTs when I insisted they send her to the ER both times. The last undiagnosed fracture resulted in 1 week in the hospital followed by 3 weeks in a nursing home for rehab. My Mom was never quite the same after that.

The above and other incidents occurred over a period of just a few months. After the last incident I finally decided to move her for her safety and well being to a facility that took good care of her. I only wish I would have made this decision sooner.

shannon Thomas

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing the finest personal care and services to our guests, and I sincerely apologize that you experienced anything less. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to the appropriate department managers, but would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in greater detail about the instances you've outlined below. We have no record of this event occurring with in the last 12 months. I may be reached at your convenience via email at [removed] or by phone at [removed]. Shannon Thomas Executive Director Desert Flower Assisted Living and Memory Care 9185 E. Desert Cove Ave. Scottsdale AZ 85260 Phone [removed]

Great Place!

My Dad is a resident at Desert Flower. This is a great community that is extremely clean, friendly and has a great staff to resident ratio. Dad is not motivated to do any activities so it is hard to rate the activities available. I cannot say anything negative about Desert Flower. They do address all issues that may arise.

I would not recommend the place.

They are okay, but not that great. We have been quite disappointed with a few things, including raising the price once we were there, to the actual care from the individuals. I would not recommend the place. The food is okay, they have cancelled a movie the first time she went, due to technical difficulties, and no one followed up to bring her back to her room, I wasn't aware that there wouldn't be staff present during the movie. The appearance is nice and the director is very friendly. It tours nicely, but the rest of the staff isn't as friendly. She fell one time and didn't call us or anything, they just put her to bed. The call button has broken three times since she has been there.

I found the tour experience to be very professional and was able observe the interaction between staff and residents to be a positive one. The next day our clients family visited and had the same positive experience, which helped us to decide on Desert Flower. We had previously tour five other local assisted living locations and found this facility for the long term was the best fit.
We are looking forward to moving our client in for the new year.

Untrained condescending staff. Numerous med errors.

A disaster since new director [removed] took over. Med techs are not properly trained and make numerous mistakes. When questioned, they lie or make excuses. Condescending towards residents and families. Laundry and cleaning are not performed weekly. Food is fair but usually hot dishes are served room temp or cold. Some residents send their food back to be heated up, others are afraid to. Staff used to check to be sure residents went for meals. Now there are no checks and today I witnessed a daughter of a resident come in to find her mom was left in her room and never taken to dinner. Staff is uncaring and show no compassion towards residents. I am looking for another facility for my mom.

Some things could be improved.

Well it's clean, and the staff is nice, but there are some things that could be improved. The food isn't great, and especially if you have a special dietary need. They aren't very good about letting us know what's going on, and who has been to see him as far as doctors and therapists are concerned. I don't really know who to go to with concerns. It's a very disorienting experience.

Would not recommend

My loved one lived here for a time, and overall our experience was not a good one. They seemed understaffed, and were not able to keep a close eye on the residents. My loved one fell quite often, as a result. I also was not impressed with their meal service, they were not very accommodating when it came to special dietary requirements.

Very nice facility....this ...

Very nice facility....this is one of two that we will consider as we move forward with dad and his condition

shannon Thomas

Thank you for your review.

Ok, but not in top choices.

Ok, but not in top choices.

It’s calm and has a very nice energy to the place.

I’m trying to get her ears taken care of! With a very busy life, it would be nice if there was a little more care support for getting these things taken care of. The people though are awesome. They’re great people! They’re all fives! A lot of the residents expressed concerns about the food. It’s a beautiful building. It’s calm and has a very nice energy to the place.

The cleanliness and the staff were av...

The cleanliness and the staff were average - not good, not bad. They did offer activities, but they also cancelled them. We thought they were a good deal and they offered a lot, but there are definitely areas of improvement. They have a really high staff turnover rate, and when we toured, the recruiter didn't know how to answer any questions. The care staff doesn't respond promptly when they are needed. There were even instances of blatant lying. Not a good fit at all.

Nice facility and nice room...

Nice facility and nice rooms available. Jo Bailey was helpful as we (my sister Maddie and I) peppered her with questions about care assistance for mom. I also got all my questions answered about monthly costs for Living plus daily assistance help incremental costs. We were impressed with Desert Flower overall and will give it strong consideration for moms next place after rehab circa mid-Feb.

Wonderful place!

Everyone here was great! The staff are all very friendly and very caring. My Dad was not the easiest patient to work with, and they did a great job with him. They were also always very kind to my Mom when she would go in to visit.

Not impressed with accommod...

Not impressed with accommodations. Only one space available. Pushy for business.

Perfect Layout

She has a big complaint about the food. She is 94 and I think no matter where she would live she would complain about something. I have had dinner there a couple times I thought that the food was fine, but I'm not eating there three times a day. My husband visited several communities and he thought that Desert Flower was the nicest. I think that the layout of her apartment is perfect. She has a little studio with a small kitchenette.

Need better follow through

The cleanliness could have been better, the second night he was there he fell down and had to go to the hospital, he bled on the floor and they never got the blood out of the carpet. There were a lot of things going on that being a family we didn't know and I don't know if A Place for Mom or Desert Flower could have done a better job preparing us with things like living wills and power of attorney. We didn't have those in place and didn't realize how important those were. They spent a lot of time doing a sales pitch to be honest and telling you all the things they could do to keep him busy but there wasn't a lot going on and they said they were going to have structured activities which they had more in assisted living but not in memory care. He spent most of his time in his room watching tv. They were very nice and tried, but they didn't seem to have someone there to make decisions and stand by them and to make sure that if they say they're going to do something they make sure it gets done.

visited this property when ...

visited this property when looking for a place at Christmas - was dirty and not well kept

near Mayo Clinic

near Mayo Clinic

Desert Flower Assisted Living and Memory Care, located in Scottsdale by the beautiful McDowell Mountains, where choice, dignity, privacy and independence are cornerstones upon which the community was built. Our residents enjoy apartment style living free from needless intrusion of the creation of unnecessary dependence. It is our pleasure to accommodate the needs of our residents in a dignified atmosphere where personal choice and privacy are both respected and encouraged. Every resident receives a personal care plan to ensure the appropriate help is provided for each level of care.