Danbury Columbus - Columbus, OH

The tour was awful

I would not recommend this community to anyone. The young lady who tried to do our tour was not prepared, nor did she do a very good job showing us around and I felt she gave us too much information about the people living in the two apts we were about to tour. My daughter came with me and we could not wait to get out of there. As for the two apt's that we were shown one was occupied so it felt strange looking around a someone else's home and the second apt the tenant had just passed away and again we walking around their stuff.

Great facility with caring staff

My mother has been a resident of Danbury for almost a year. The facilities are excellent, the food is very good and the care she has received has been a fabulous. Her apartment is a very good size and is cleaned weekly. The staff takes care of my mother with respect, dignity and love. There are many types of dementia and the staff knows the tips and tricks on how to redirect their patients behavior and provide appropriate activities. Music therapy is provided several days a week and the patients dance, sing and play tambourines. My mother was in our home for several years and although difficult to place her in a facility, this is the best there is. We are so pleased and happy with the care, attention and love that she receives from the aides up to management. She is happy and cared for. Many thanks to those at Danbury for helping us to enjoy the years left.

Overall good place, but has pros and cons

Pros: This place is lovely and many of the staff are very caring. It is a beautiful, clean facility and the staff is kind and the residents genuinely care about each other. Cons: I gave them a "3" for care services because some residents told me they pressed their "Panic" button and waited from 15 to 45 minutes for someone to respond! For other residents, they have responded right away, even during the night. There is a very high level of turnover in staff. Dont let the picture of a chef on the website fool you - A lot of the food is pre-processed, comes from a can and is high in sodium. There are a lot of activities on the daily schedule, but only about 2/3 of them actually take place; The others are often cancelled without notice (very frustrating for an older person who takes 15 minutes just to get to the activity). I recommend this place overall, but I wish they would address these concerns.

Memory care at Danbury - be warned.

My father was in memory care for 4.5 months until he passed away. Here are the reasons I rated Danbury at 2 stars: 1. My father FELL SEVEN TIMES despite being identified as a falls risk. 2. We were told an aide would check on him every hour. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. We were there frequently, and we would go 3-4 hours without any staff checking in. Even after pushing the “HELP” button, it would take up to 30 minutes for a response. We once waited 20 minutes, walked to the nurses’s station and found all of the staff watching TV. 3. We found him frequently sitting in soaked Depends - sometimes soaking through his clothing and into the bed or char. 4. Not enough controls on medication dispensing - health care professionals with access to his opioids could easily steal them without detection. 5. HE WAS NEVER SEEN BY THE PHYSICIAN IN CHARGE. 6. Administrative staff - you could never find a senior manager on weekends or after business hours. 7. Memory care unit was managed by an LPN not an RN. Her follow up on requests was terrible. 8. Missing items - we have a list of at least 10 items that "disappeared." 9. We were told Dad's laundry would be separate from others, per policy. Sheets, clothes, towels and washcloths went missing. Several items not belonging to him showed up in his laundered items. 10. Housekeeping is atrocious. WE WERE GOING TO MOVE HIM SOMEWHERE ELSE, BUT HE FELL AND HIT HIS HEAD, WHILE A STAFF MEMBER WAS IN HIS ROOM. HE WAS NEVER EVALUATED BY A PA OR MD AFTER THE FALL. 24 HOURS LATER, HE WENT INTO A COMA AND DIED 5 DAYS LATER.

Friendly And Attentive!

My loved one is adjusting very well since her move to this community. The staff is great, they tend to her every need. The room she is in is comfortable and has everything she needs, they try to make the community have a home like feel to it. They offer a variety of activities and the residents go on walks together. Overall it's a good community and we are happy with our choice to move her here.

We liked this place. It was small and new. They were friendly. Would like to take Dad back for a visit. Close to my home. Everyone else we toured with called me for a followup. I was disappointed that Danbury did not. I did email for a visit with Dad. I hope to hear from them soon.

It Was Great Care

I am happy with the care that was given to my father-in-law. I loved it there. They did a wonderful job, I can't say nothing but the kindest words. The staff were wonderful and the facility was always clean.

The community is brand new, which is great, but we weren't enamored with it. The rooms are nice and spacious. The cost is a bit higher than some of the other places we toured. We also weren't crazy about our tour guide, who didn't seem especially knowledgeable. She basically handed us a brochure and price sheet & showed us the rooms. She didn't really answer our questions very well. Of course, we did go in on a Saturday, so that may have been part of the issue.

I really like this community!!

This has been a great community for respite care. My husband has stayed here 3 times. The staff have good communication they are fun and make sure he eats. He is currently in the memory care unit. He seems to like the food. This community does not offer skilled nursing.

Strong points and weak points

Danbury Senior Living of Columbus, OH is a lovely, sunny, spacious facility. The building is new. The apartments are lovely. The staff is friendly and accommodating. However, the food is disappointing and the website's claim about chef-prepared food is just not true. Some meals are decent (not great); other times, dinner may consist of a hot dog on a white bun or a toasted cheese sandwich on white bread. Forget whole grains or fresh vegetables. They do not cook anything here: They just warm up canned or frozen meals which are high in sodium and the dining room service is sloooooooow.
About 25% of the activities on the activities schedule never actually happen; No one follows through to actually make them happen, or they are cancelled at the last minute. For a shut-in who only has one activity to look forward to for the whole day, or for an elderly person that took a lot of effort to shuffle their way over to the activity room only to find it cancelled without notice, this is very disappointing. I gave them a 3 instead of 2 on Activities because they do plan nice holidays for the residents, such as a Fourth of July BBQ.
Families and guests are welcome.
On the good side, this is a safe place - no one is harmed or abused - the staff and the residents are friendly and welcoming and they do genuinely care about you here.