Claremont Retirement Village - Columbus, OH

We really liked the private screened porches and the fact that everything is on one level. They seem more like small private homes than apartments and the interior layout is great.

We loved what they are doing here. However I think part of a community is first impression and this place needs updated badly. It feels run down. I know they are working on it but for someone like my mom this would be a considerable downturn in scenery. She’s got a lovely modern condo now and these feel like budget apartments.

Great choice for warm atmosphere and friendly staff.

My mom is now 99 and has been at Claremont
For 3 years. The maintenance staff is above and
Beyond the call of duty. They have replaced the
AC unit and come for repairs within the day mom
Has reported a problem. The food has improve the past
Two months and service by the staff is caring and
Respectful at all times. The cleaning staff also
Does an excellent job. The location is close to
Restaurants, shopping and the local pharmacy.
The greeters at the front desk are so caring and
Call mom by name when she passes.

They offer many amenities - apartments are all on the main floor with a screened in porch to enjoy. The room sizes were nice and this place was very affordable, with different levels of care which were explained to me by their very capable Nurse, [Name removed] . Inviting atmosphere when you enter, but their front desk person was not friendly or courteous and there was no where to sit while waiting for tour. This was an older facility and has not been updated.

Nice Tour

The Claremont Retirement Village is a beautiful and clean community. The landscaping is beautiful! The staff was very welcoming and friendly. They provided positive information on their community and answered our questions. We chose another community that was a better fit for our budget needs.

Happy with My Move Here

I'am doing very well here at this community. I really like this community, and I'am happy with my move here. Everyone has been very kind and welcoming. I do feel safe and comfortable. All is well, and I'am really enjoying my time at this community. This is a community I would recommend, it is a nice place.

Not Impressed

I was not impressed with my tour of this community. This community is very outdated. They need major updating around this community. I was not impressed with my tour guide of the facility. I knew when I first stepped on the community, it wasn't the one for us.

Not Very Appealing

I wasn't very impressed with my tour of this community. The staff was very friendly, but the appearance of the community was not very appealing. I would say they need to do a better with the cleanliness of the community. Everybody was kind and friendly.

Mom's Care Here

This is a nice community for my mom. A clean environment to enjoy. My mom says that she is not happy with the meals. She is offered alot of activities. I would recommend this community for others as long as they do not have a pet.

When I Went To Tour

They did a good job with my tour. I was able to have a nice conversation with the director and he did a good job explaining the community. It was a clean facility but he did not follow up with me after the tour. I found that odd.

Open and Clear Communication With Staff

We're very happy with the level of care provided. The staff were accommodating for my mom's transition but it seems to be limited and had a conversation with the staff on figuring out solutions. I have open and clear communication with the staff. I think they do a good job keeping the facility clean. The meals are good and fresh. There are activities offered and encouraged.

Poorly run facility!

Claremont retirement village has progressively declined in all aspects since my father first moved in to independent living 3 yrs ago. Initially, it seemed like a reasonable place with activities and caring staff. Gradually, cleanliness declined to the point of bedbugs in several apartments and apathy on administration in promptly addressing the issue. Rather, we had to deal with their lying and false promises. Also the call system was out for months so residents could not call for help after falling leading to hospitalization for 1 resident [Removed]. Rather than taking responsibility and fixing the problem in a timely manner, staff lied saying the system was only down for 2 weeks which in my opinion is unacceptable. Many staff have quit over the past 3 years bc of the poor conditions and administration ignoring important matters. Now there is a real push to get residents to the memory care they opened a few yrs ago. As usual, false promises, inadequate staffing and neglect continue. As a health care provider, I would not recommend this facility to anyone and believe it should be investigated as many violations are apparent.

The staff are helpful and nice at Claremont!!

My father in law has only been at Claremont for a short time but he is settling in well. He is happy with the food. He was active before he had to go into the hospital for a short visit and we are hoping he will be more active once he feels better. They have buses to take them out. He is able to have his dog with him.

Great place to live

Claremont is a great place to live. My mother moved in December and she has loved the friendliness of everyone in the community. The activities are fun, and she especially likes the ladies lunch group and tea parties. Her social life has improved tremendously since she moved in, and I have peace of mind with the emergency pull cord system. This was one of the reasons our family selected Claremont. The morning check on my mother is great! Her apartment was very clean when we moved in and the staff is very helpful. The building feels like home to my mother which is the reason my mother wanted to live there and agreed to sell her house. I would highly recommend Claremont.

Looked nice

We toured Claremont Retirement Village and from what I saw the facility seemed well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met were friendly and professional. We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

Toured, would not recommend

We toured this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. I was not impressed at all with what I saw at Claremont. The facility was very old, and not well kept at all. There was a noticeable odor, and it just wasn't very clean in general. The person who gave us our tour also smelled very strongly of cigarettes, which was off-putting.

Dishonesty and poorly run facility

Our father was a resident at Claremont for 3 yrs. Initially, it seemed reasonable and comfortable. However, as time went on, we noticed the poor cleaning quality, inadequate response to a flu epidemic last year which resulted in several residents being hospitalized. Residents are also charged unnecessarily and the marketing director and administrator have not been truthful on several occassions.
Residents who wanted to rent an emergency call button paid a fee initially and were to get the rental fee back when turned in. Later they changed the service so that the resident would own the button and only a small amt of the rental fee was returned upon our dad's death. We also received less than half of our father's rental deposit back upon his death even though his apt was left in pristine condition. For instance, we were told they withheld $300 for "extensive carpet damage". It was not until I insisted on another walk thru to check this out that the money was returned. Michele's response was "oh, I don't know how that charge got on there". Come on, she did the initial walk thru with me and even stated the carpet looked good. We were also charged $200 for vinyl replacement in the kitchen d/t a few scuff marks. To date, which has been 6 months since our father's passing, the vinyl has not been replaced and they have rented his apt to another resident. Wonder if they will charge her for the same when she moves out. We have called Michele and Bill but they will not return our phone calls. We even have pictures of the vinyl that has not been replaced. It is quite unfortunate the elderly are taken advantage of even when their family attempts to intervene, Also, the owner, Claire [removed] is not accessible to her residents or families and only comes to town a few times a yr for short periods. Very poorly run and dishonest.

Well kept facility

We loved the facility and the cleanliness of it. There seemed to be a lot of activities for the residents to do and everything was very nice.

Very nice place!

We've had a great experience so far with Claremont Retirement Village, my loved one is very happy here! It's a nice looking, clean, well kept community, and the atmosphere is a great fit for her. Some of the places we looked at were very fancy, but they just would have been too much! Claremont has a relaxed, comfortable feel, while still being high quality. They're worth a look!

Really good food

I think the food here is really good. My Mom doesn't like it though. I have had it a few times. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. It is always clean here.

Great place

I really like the place a lot. They have a dining room and waiters, just like you are in a restaurant. My loved one really likes that. They have all kinds of activities for the residents to participate in. Overall, this is a great place.

Positive move

My sister and brother-in-law moved in 2 weeks ago. Staff and residents good not be nicer and more helpful. This move has not been easy for my sister who suffers from the onset of alzheimers decease. They struggle to be independent and self sufficient. I believe this new environment is a positive and hope my sister is able to make the adjustment. Her life will be better if she does.

Very Friendly and Caring

I would say they are very friendly and very caring. The marketing director that helped us set up the apartment for my loved one was great. She was very helpful and knew where to go to get the answers for the questions that we had. All the staff has been very, very nice.

Michelle was great and you can tell the residents are fond of her. You can also tell people are happy at this facility. I saw a lot of smiles and companionship among the residents. My rating reflects what I saw as a community. I don't have any information about services. My Mom is still deciding if Senior Living is right for her, and if so whether the Claremont is the right place.

The Nicest People

From day one of touring the place, I was very impressed of the facility. I mean, the manager is so nice to be just one person and deal with so many different people and residents. She always has a smile in her voice. I haven't yet seen her upset or stressed away, she is always the same person every time I see her. I feel they chose the right person to manage the place. The residents there are real nice too, no sad faces. I really like the set-up they have too.

Very good while we were there...

We had only been there a short while, but my mom enjoyed living there very much and the facility had plenty of activities!

The staff has bent over backwards to make everything great..

The staff has bent over backwards to make everything great for us. The location is great. Anything she needs is very close. It has been a great experience so far.

Seemed like a nice place!

We visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I remember this place being very nice, and I thought my loved one would fit in well. It was clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed friendly.

Did not complete the tour because at this time this is an independent living community and we need assisted living. There was a nursing home odor as you walk in. I'm sure it's a wonderful place but did not offer what we need.

I felt like this community was like a maze.

I went to tour this community in the process of looking into options. I felt like this community was like a maze. It was very nice on the inside, but there were a lot of twists and turns.

We have been very happy with Claremont Retirement Village. As with any change, there was an adjustmenteriod for Mom. She has become more and more involved in activities and has become a true social "butterfly"!

exceeded expectations

They are really good at making sure that the person who lives there is ok. They check up on the residents regularly on the residents to make sure they are cared for and have everything they need. They have really lived up to everything we expected and more.

first look

So far so good. Maintainence guys are fantastic and quick. The food service, prep and staff needs to improve or be managed better.

Thanks.

great to work with

Michelle at Claremont Retirement Village is fabulous! She went above and beyond to help us out, and was always willing to work around our schedules. She made it very easy, and comfortable, and was really just great to work with.

Location, Food and Comfort

My mom has been at Claremont for one month.
She has already adjusted socially and has
many people to talk to every day.
The rooms are nice with high ceilings
and the layout is homey and convenient.
She loves the food and looks forward to
talking to her group at the table.
On weekends the seats are not assigned
and there is an opportunity to talk to
new residents. She also is able to
walk the hallways for exercise.
The laundry and trash rooms are a great
addition to help mom feel independent.
The location is a great advantage for shopping
and churches are close.

Dirty

Went for a visit and had a tour with some woman, who looked dirty and smelled. She was really weird and didn't make sense. Her hands and arms were everywhere. All she talked about was her daughter. Her office was a mess. I was turned- off. I really didn't want to finish thee tour. the place looked dirty. The dining room looked dirty. The hallways looked dirty. Had enough and left.

Overall, a great value and relatively seamless adjustment.

My parents moved into Claremont Retirement Village in July. So far they haven't met very many of the other residents, although they also haven't taken advantage of many of the scheduled activities either. Now that they have the food service figured out, they are happier (at first my mother especially wasn't too impressed by the food services, but she has allergies, small appetite, and dry mouth issues, so her choices are somewhat limited). Their apartment is much smaller than they are used to, but they have adjusted fairly well. They really appreciate the attic storage above their bathroom. I am surprised that they haven't experienced the friendliness my sister and I experienced when we were researching facilities for them, and I'm hoping that changes soon, especially when they start getting involved more in the activities. Very homey place compared to some other retirement facilities my sister and I visited.

Michele who showed us aroun...

Michele who showed us around was wonderful and we are SO GLAD that we picked this place to put my Mother In Law!!! She loves it after just 2 days. The screened in porch on each apartment is wonderful and everyone was so friendly. Thanks again!

Very nice place, if it was ...

Very nice place, if it was not on the far side of town, that would have been our choice.

Too small

Too small

Very pleased with this community

So far they've been great in almost every way! It's a very nice looking, clean facility, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. The staff are very accessible to both residents and their families, they are happy to address any questions or concerns. They've got a huge variety of activities, and it seems like there is always something going on.
The only area they really need to improve on is the food, my loved one has not been impressed by it at all.

Horrible - Be very thorough in questioning before selecting this place

An inexperienced sales rep gave us misleading information, making my sister's transition a horrible experience! The facility manager relies heavily on her and others to run the place, which runs amok! This facility appears to offer good value which when compared with other similar facilities seems pretty cheap, however, they nickle and dime you for every additional service. Their cook is a presumptious portuguese wanna be chef. My sister was never told that she couldn't eat in the main dining room and when she showed up, she was told by the chef to leave and when the sales rep got involved she also told my sister to leave - she was embarrassed in front of all other residents - sent to a back room small dining room that is very depressing. My sister needs some assistance in her outings and because she needed help finding her way around a store the first time she went, the bus driver refused to take her again and the sales rep once again told us that she couldn't participate in those activities either. We've had to hire a service to separately take my sister places. For personal reasons we've had to leave my sister there and hiring separate services has helped. We still hate the place and my sister does too. Be careful and ask many questions before using this facility!

Claremont Retirement Village

We looked for a caring community for my mother that she could afford. Claremont Retirement Village is a friendly, inviting facility that is affordable and provides quality services. My mother lived in her home in Upper Arlington for nearly 60 years and has made the transition to an independent living facility without any difficulties. She tells me how much she loves the Claremont and how nice everyone is. She also loves the food. I have found the staff to be very helpful and encouraging. The intake procedures facilitated by Michelle were very straightforward and easy to understand. There are many varied activities for the residents, and the bus service is most helpful for getting my mom to the store.

Sad

It looks like it could be a nice place. The receptionist was rude. The dining room looked dirty. There was food on the floor. The place looked old. Saw employees talking on their cell phones, or just sitting doing nothing. Will continue looking for my dad.

Smelled mildewy. Very few ...

Smelled mildewy. Very few activities. Buildings very outdated and rundown inside and out.

My Mom and I liked this fac...

My Mom and I liked this facility and was interested in their one bedroom. More so if they replace carpet and put in updated floor coverings. Mom had interest in this one most.

I really liked this facilit...

I really liked this facility. Located in a mature area with large trees and nice homes. Great commons areas. The eating area was impressive. I was fortunate to have been able to talk to the chef. His plan for feeding the residence was exciting. I was impressed with the staff. The residences each had a screend in porch that led to an outside court yard area. All ground floor. No steps.

Was very impressed...still working wi...

Was very impressed...still working with "MOM" to make a decision.

Outdated facility, but the apartment ...

Outdated facility, but the apartment sizes are good and they have a screened-porch with access to green space for pets. The cost is reasonable, but utilities aren't included and only one meal per day is included.

Older building but still nice- concer...

Older building but still nice- concerned that there are a lot of changes coming up for this place- major remodeling and going from non licensed senior community to a licensed assisted living- nice sized room with private patio

possibility

possibility

I liked The Claremont a lot. Problem ...

I liked The Claremont a lot. Problem though -- for me. Electric heat: I cannot tolerate electric heat. It always feels cold. Also, the facility is built on a slab. Cold floors. And finally, the apartments have cathedral ceilings. Heat rises leaving the floor area cold. Otherwise The Claremont seems to answer almost every need. Nice,nice place.

I did take a tour. This would be my...

I did take a tour. This would be my second choice location for my mother in law, and it has not been ruled out.

You asked what makes us stand out, and I can easily say that it is our screen porches and our residents. Everyone here is so welcoming to new residents that everyone starts feeling right at home from the start. Additionally, we are all on one floor which makes enjoying the screen porch and visiting across the court yard so enjoyable.

Claremont Retirement Village is a fantastic choice for active and involved seniors. There is a full schedule of classes and on-site social activities to keep the home-body busy, and there is plenty within Columbus to inspire those who prefer to get out and go. The community offers a variety of amenities for its residents, including:

- Restaurant-style dining
- Screened-in patios
- Free bus transportation
- Hairdresser/barber services
- Planned activities
- Pet-friendly apartments
- Assistance with dressing/housekeeping as needed

Services Offered

Claremont Retirement Village is a community that believes in allowing seniors to age in place. It has apartments for those independent seniors who want social interaction with their peers as well as accommodations for assisted living and memory care residents. Apartments are garden-style, so there are no steps to maneuver around. Private spaces with screened-in patios allow for plenty of time to sit and enjoy the day.

City Info

Columbus is Ohio's largest city, located in the central part of the state. Claremont Retirement Village is in the northwest portion of the city, surrounded by residential suburbs and local shopping opportunities. Seniors who live here are close to a bus line and only minutes from major cross-city roads.

- Walkability Score: 50. This is a large community with an encircling road that is wide and easy to walk. However, this area of Columbus is not pedestrian-friendly.

- Average age in the 43235 zip code: 36. Aside from the senior residential communities in the zip code, there are two apartment communities. Most residents are married with families.

- Number of local senior residential facilities nearby: There are three other communities in the same zip code and many more within a five-mile radius.

- Average Weather: Columbus is in a temperate climate with distinct seasons. Winters are cold and often wet, while summers are hot and humid. This is a great place for seniors who like variety, since spring and fall offer variable temperatures.

- Veterans Facilities: The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post is only three miles away, and there are veteran centers in Dublin and Columbus. The Ohio Department of Veterans Services is downtown.

Transportation

As part of the Columbus metro area, most seniors find that owning a vehicle is most convenient, as strip malls and restaurants are scattered throughout the area. Claremont provides transportation to local shopping and medical appointments, and the area also has a bus service and taxis. For more information on the variety of transportation options available, visit Getting Around Columbus.

- Buses: COTA is the basic bus line. It offers half-price fare for seniors and runs through much of the city.

- Taxis: Yellow Cab of Columbus is the main provider of taxi transportation, although downtown has a rickshaw-style pedicab available. Golf cart transport is also provided for free.

- Ride Shares: Columbus has a wide range of ride share programs, from bicycles to Eco-friendly cars. Uber and Lyft both run local routes.

Health and Safety

Claremont Retirement Village is located in the northern suburbs of Columbus, which is a place with low crime. Hospitals and medical offices are a short distance away, so there's always medical care nearby if needed.

- Hospitals: Riverside Methodist Hospital and Grant Hospital are located in the area.

- Crime rate in the 43235 zip code: Theft is the main crime that occurs in the area. The average crime rate is low: 34 on a scale of 100.

Sports and Leisure

Local seniors enjoy on-site activities and opportunities within the Town 'n Country area for sports and leisure. Rocky Creek residents often participate in the local Senior Games.

- Golf Courses: Brookside Golf & Country Club, Wedgewood Golf & Country Club, and Ohio State Golf Club are nearby.

- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Racquet Club of Columbus is located on Sawmill Road, and Olympic Indoor Tennis is close to downtown.

- Gyms: Planet Fitness Worthington or Bethel Road Planet Fitness are nearby, as is the Hilliard Health Center.

Shopping and Entertainment

Northern Columbus is rife with shopping and entertainment possibilities. There is a large shopping center located every few miles, offering access to shops and restaurants. The Columbus Zoo is only a short distance north, and access to 270 opens the door to the rest of the city.

- Apparel: Burlington Coat Factory, Meijer, Old Navy, and Nordstrom.

- Grocery Stores: Meijer, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes.

- Restaurants: Joe's Crab Shack, Cosi, Golden Corral, Ruby Tuesday, La Scala, and more.

- Movie Theaters: AMC Dublin Village 18 is just minutes away.

- Libraries: Northwest Library and Dublin Public Library.

- Senior-Friendly Salons: There is an on-site barber shop and hair center, but other local shops for men and women include Great Clips, Capelli's, and Hair Force.

- Attractions: The Columbus Zoo and Water park is located within 20 minutes of the retirement community, and Sawmill State Wildlife Education Center is within five minutes.

Religious Facilities

Northwest Columbus is a diverse community of middle to upper-middle class residents. There are numerous local churches for seniors to choose from if they do not wish to join the weekly church service that is provided in the community.

Buses leave every Sunday morning to transport seniors to Linworth Church (located right across the street) and St. Peter's. Other nearby churches include Fellowship Lutheran, Holy Cross, Highlands Presbyterian, and North Columbus Baptist Church.