Covenant Place of Waxahachie - Waxahachie, TX

Wonderful staff and facility

This facility is wonderful. The nurses were just wonderful with my Mother. They really worked with me on keeping my Mom with them even after her needs changed. She really loved the place and the food. She had a button that pinged the nurses anytime she needed them and, every single time, they would come and help. They really took great care of her. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Rooms small and not sure of door security.
Saturday receptionist was very helpful and took me on a tour.

My mom liked it, but was concerned regarding all the empty rooms. Plus they had told us to come for lunch and no one seemed to even know we were coming. Not that lunch was a big deal, but I felt that if that was miscommunicated, that other things may be also.

Informative

My tour of this community was a good one. Everyone was very nice, and informative. All my questions were answered.

Best Choice , Best Care, Best Staff!!!!

My mother moved into one of there new remodeled apartment and couldn't be happier! She was resistant to move but now wishes she had done it years ago! The rooms have full size refrigerators , large wall in showers, and ceiling fans! Covenant Place is not the newest or fanciest but the care is very good and they have a lot of long term employees! The earlier review from someone surprised me because they don't have memory care and I think that person was confused , but they will transfer to sister property with no additional deposit if Memory Care is needed! We love it there and they truly care about there residents! Jennifer met us there on a Saturday and was very knowledgeable and she listened to our needs rather than being a salesman like the other places we toured! She was very compassionate and even shared similar personal experiences with my mom and I which we really appreciated that she truly understood! we also liked the fact that she introduced us to staff and told us how long they had been there! We received a wealth of knowledge from our tour and so the choice was obvious "Covenant Place " my mom has met so many friends and participates in all the great activities. I can't say enough about how easy they all made my moms move and my mom loves her new home! Don't judge a book by its cover its what's inside that counts ! I would recommend anyone in an assisted living to come see this one and witness the care and compassion from real people!!!

Not quite the truth

This is in response to the person, who in October 2015, was pleased with Jennifer and that all the residents wear alert necklaces and that they have a memory care unit. My mother has been a resident at Covenant Place for 6 years, and I assure you, all the residents do NOT wear alert necklaces, nor do they have a memory care unit. Their sister facility at Buffalo Creek, 1 - 2 miles away, does indeed have such a unit. However, I'm not all surprised that Jennifer would indicate or insinuate or even plain out tell you that these items are true when they are not. We are looking for other placement possibilities due to this type of dishonesty on the part of management.

So far it's been good.

So far it's been good. They need more help at night to pass out medication. We liked that it was more homey than others in the area. They were more reasonably priced than a lot of the others.

I was very impressed with the facility. Jennifer is very helpful and willing to help in any way possible to get my parents a place to live. I like that there are alert necklaces on all of the seniors in the facility. I am also glad that there is a memory wing for my dad so that when he needs more intensive care, I do not have to move him to another facility. Jennifer is willing to work with my on my mother's diabetic condition so that we can keep her there with my dad. This will be a win-win situation for us.

My Disappointment in Covenant Place of Waxahachie

My biggest disappointment has been in the manner in which the food is cooked and served. It is 90% fried and not seasoned well enough. It is for the most part purchased frozen and then prepared. It does not taste as if prepared by the cook. The coffee is absolutely horrible. I have learned it comes prepared and frozen in a bag then thawed and poured into the coffee maker. It tastes awful. The brussel sprouts and broccoli are overcooked and served tasting like mush. The carrots are always so sweetened they seem more like a desert than a vegetable. When spinach is served there is never any vinegar with it. Same for grilled cheese sandwich. I have always lived in Texas and I have never known of one being served without dill pickels until I came here. I am so fond of them I have purchased my own pickels and will also purchase vinegar to go on the spinach. I wish there were more computer activities. Thank you.

Activities Could Improve

I think my mother would do better if there were more activities. She's inside and she likes to stay there unless someone she knows is taking her out. Most of the activities they have is Wii bowling and getting out. She says she gets less exercise here than when she was at my brother's place. She takes part but Wii bowling is not something she really likes to do and she doesn't play cards or checkers or games.

The people are very friendly - the people that live there and the people that work there. Mom gets along with most, if not all, of them. Our pastor visited over at Covenant Place and he said that he was impressed with the cleanliness. One of the things that my mom liked was that somebody actuallys sat down with us to talk about what her needs are. Mom's room is very open and she has a little bird feeder outside.

Old

We took a tour and there were people there ready for us when we got there. It seemed much older and not as well taken care of.

I really don't think they ...

I really don't think they were ready for our visit. I called a little before 11 to say that we would be about 30 minutes late. (we were only 20) He said they serve lunch at 11:45 so we would eat first and then tour. We met upon arrival, and he walked us in the lobby and asked us to wait right there and he was going to make sure our table was ready. He left us there for 10-15 minutes, then came to get us and took us to the private dining room, which was set up only for us. He did not ask if we wanted any residents to join us, and he was frantically in and out of the room, leaving us alone, then re-joining us. He did not eat with us - he said he usually eats there, but takes it to his office. During our meal, he did sit with us long enough to ask some questions about my mom and her needs. Then was gone again. (He was dressed in jeans, Rangers shirt, and flip flops. He mentioned his attire himself saying that we caught him on a Friday or he wouldn't be dressed that way. None of the other staff we saw were dressed that casually.) Two ladies came in, and I don't know what their job titles were, but they were the ones who took our papers with what we wanted to eat, and delivered our food. They also indicated that they manage medication, and did some other jobs around the facility. One was personable, but the other was not. All of the silverware had water spots, which is understandable (although I would have made sure they were gone for guests), but one of my forks was very dirty - I don't think it ever hit the dishwasher after the last use. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did tell him, and he was very embarrassed and quickly got me a replacement. As for the food, the salad was pretty good, the potatoes in the potato soup were still crunchy, the chicken fried steak was obviously a pre-formed frozen meat, the roll was okay. We were given iced tea to drink and not offered anything else. My friend did ask for coffee and they brought her some. On the meal checklist, there was a place for dessert, which we did check, but he whisked us off to tour before dessert arrived. We started the tour through the dining room, and my friend and I stopped and chatted briefly with a few residents as we went through. He seemed uncomfortable with this. As it turned out, it was our only interaction with residents. One man was very excited about the fish he was going to get and so very glad to tell someone about how he used to catch his own fish. There was a man at another table that seemed mad. It was a table of four and he was the only one that didn't have food in front of him. One of the staff put a ketchup bottle right in front of him, and he moved it to the side and said I don't want that, I want my food. The staff lady replied, a bit snarkily, 'Well, did you check off your food on the sheet today? Maybe you didn't order anything.' He moved us along and I'm not sure what happened there, but the man seemed to not have all of his mental faculties, and I was appauled that the staff would talk to him that way. The rest of the tour was very much like the others. The rooms were very similar to the rooms at other places. The laundry room seemed very tiny compared to others. The tub in the spa room was stained. During our tour, one of the staff ladies we met earlier (that helped with food, and medication management) walked through with a baby that looked to be around a year old, in just a diaper. She said the day care had called, that he was sick and had thrown up on himself and she had to go get him. I don't know where she was taking him, but was in one of the halls where the residents rooms are. Bad form all the way around. I will not even consider Covenant Place.

We liked Covenant Place very much. D...

We liked Covenant Place very much. Director was unavailable to make our appointment, but we met other very helpful people and were given a thorough tour. I was impressed with the relationship that the residents seemed to have with the staff.

Find your place at Covenant Place Waxahachie, where desired amenities and convenient services allow residents to live a vibrant lifestyle that encourages independence through innovative recreational, educational, health and wellness programs. Our Assisted Living community in Waxahachie, Texas, offers spacious studio and one-bedroom apartments in a comfortable environment with luxuries such as kitchenettes with mini-refrigerators and microwaves. From the thoughtfully designed floor plans to the world-class service and myriad recreational and social opportunities, residents may just find that we have thought of everything. Our luscious vegetable garden, window-lined hallways with comfortable seating areas and whirlpool spa help set the homey, family atmosphere our residents have come to expect. Residents can sit back and enjoy life without the hassles of cooking, cleaning and maintenance while receiving prompt and attentive care when needed from friendly and knowledgeable staff members. Our scheduled courtesy transportation provides residents with the freedom to explore the Gingerbread City’s numerous shopping, dining and entertainment options and take advantage of nearby medical facilities and pharmacies.