Cedar Hills Senior Living - Cedar Hill, TX

Dad is settling in

The staff is nice here my dad has seemed to be settling in. There has been several incidents of him not being showered by a schedule change or something and I just want to be told of these changes. And I feel like when I make suggestions on doing something different or if something wasn't done I am treated differently. It is a smaller community. They mop his bathroom daily and clean it up if it needs it. He loves to be in his room. The outdoor area is pretty. I just wanted to make sure the attendants are doing their job. I would recommend this community.

5 stars

The staff is wonderful and my mother in law loves the caregivers. The caregivers are encouraging her to participate in some of the daily activities. The food is great and they keep the community clean. I would recommend this community.

Nice stay!

My loved one's stay at this facility is going well! The staff is friendly and the facility seems nice. I appreciate that they give my loved one set times to go out and smoke, as this works for him very well. My loved one also has many opportunities to participate in activities and socialize! From what I saw, this is a nice facility!

I would not recommend this community

This was not a good community. The food was horrible and cold. The coffee was also cold. This community has a lot of residents with alzheimer's and it seems the community has gone down hill in the last few years. They did not keep our loved ones room clean. It seems they did not have the money to take care of this community. Some of the staff were nice and some were not.

Nice community!

This was a very nice community. The staff was friendly and answered all of our questions and concerns. They were knowledgeable about the community. The community just felt more like a group home to me. We did not want that kind of setting for me mother in law.

Very nice!

The tour went good and the staff was very knowledgeable and showed us around. We had heard of this place through a friend that had recommended it. The community was nice. We just wanted mom closer to us.

Decent Community

I had a decent tour of this community. For the most part the community appeared to be nice and clean, but there were some areas I saw that could had looked better. The staff I met were nice. It was an okay experience, but it was the right atmosphere for husband.

Small Community!!

The Brookdale Cedar Hill was a clean well kept up community. The place was small, we were looking for something a little bigger. The staff was friendly and answered all of my questions during my tour.

Brook dale was a nice facility, which could be considered for a longer term care. At this time, though, we are looking for a facility to meet our needs of more than one short term care periods.

Very friendly staff!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for our loved one. We liked what we saw here very much, and in the end we were choosing between this community and another. The director here is a very friendly, warm, and caring person!

They were terribly unorganized with things, they didn't keep to their schedules for their activities or menus. They didn't have a packet to give new residents with a menu or calandar of activities, or anything, they told me it was posted in the dining room. They didn't keep to the activities schedule, one time they had a welcome gathering, I showed up and it didn't happened, they told me they forgot. They didn't know how to make a bed properly the sheets were kept on sideways. It wasn't that they weren't nice or kind but they were just so disorganized.

Sterling House of Cedar Hill, Texas

Our experience at Sterling House, Cedar Hill, Tx started off well, but has gone downhill in the 3 months my aunt has been there. One night, after she had gone to bed, she had to get up and fell. She laid in the floor for 7 hours, until the day shift found her. She injured herself trying to get up. She was unable to reach the emergency pull cord, and no one checked on her during those 7 hours even though they were supposed to check every 2 hours. The food has been less than mediocre. For dinner meals, the residents have been served corny dogs and bologna sandwiches (not the same meal), and sometimes the food is unidentifiable. Cleaning her apartment has been an [removed] same sheets on the bed for 3 weeks without laundering. Recently she had to go 9 days between showers. The facility has been giving questionnaires to the residents and families to complete and return. I hope this means changes are in the works. I will say that the caregivers are kind, helpful, and compassionate. I think they are understaffed and have a lot of turnover in personnel.

Unless this community is able to make...

Unless this community is able to make some serious changes, I would not recommend it. My aunt is a resident and had fallen during the night. No one checked on her for seven hours, she was in the floor, unable to get up, she had injuries and couldn't reach the emergency pull cord. Also, the food has been less than mediocre. Some meals consist of hot dogs or bologna sandwiches with a salad. My guess is the food is assembled elsewhere and brought in - I do not think food is actually prepared and cooked in their kitchen. My aunt is supposed to have her shower twice a week. Recently, she went 9 days between showers. Also, there have been cleaning issues - bed linens weren't changed for 3 weeks. I do think the community has been short handed or has had some serious turnover of caregiver staff, so perhaps some of these issues are being addressed. I will have to say that the caregivers have always been compassionate, polite, kind, caring and professional. I would rate them highly. If management can effect changes, it would be good for everyone.

Thinking of Moving

The caregivers are wonderful. They are sweet, kind and compassionate. We've had no problems or complaints about the staff except for one person who I understand is no longer working there. I'm not sure about the value being that I'm doing her laundry and part of the cleaning and the food has been less than adequate. My mother-in-law has always had a health appetite and she said sometimes she doesn't even recognize what's on her plate. She's eaten lunch that she thought was some kind of fish and an hour later she threw up.

We're thinking seriously of moving her but we paid a $2000 community fee and I would hate to think we would lose that.

She's in a wheelchair but can transfer herself. She got up about midnight to go to the bathroom and fell and she laid on the floor for 7 hours and no one checked on her. That's the caregiver that's no longer there. It's not their fault that she fell but someone should have checked on her. I'm just really disappointed. We're having to subsidize food and laundry and change her seats.

Better for active loved ones

i'm not sure they had enough staff to encourage more participation from the residents, sometimes the sale is more than what they actually provide. I feel they could have used more staff, they didn't have enough for one on one. If your loved one can participate in any group activities and get up and join them, then they can handle anything "group" but they really can't handle one on one. We had to hire someone to come and feed him because everyone else was running around. The activities also are for a certain level of patient, if you're up and about and able to come then you have lots of fun, but if you can't then you're left out.

Amazing care!

Actually, compared to everything else around its a good value, and they provide excellent care. I would say my mom is pretty independent, the activities were there, she just didn't interact with them a whole lot, she was just doing things on her own but there were things around that she was able to go out and do.

Jane Salizar was the one that went and interviewed my mom with placement and helping with information and the whole process, she was fantastic. We continued my moms rehab there with home health and she improved so much that she was able to move back home. This place is amazing.

The manager was very helpfu...

The manager was very helpful and nice, but the room I was shown was not very clean (dirty carpet) and didn't smell fresh. Residents seemed very happy (playing bingo).

My sister took Mom over and it rang t...

My sister took Mom over and it rang the bell so this is where she want's to go.

Quarterly family activities, general ...

Quarterly family activities, general atmosphere was quiet but clean, well run, great food & good quality. Tiny gathering areas at this property, but warm & inviting. Great courtyard & surrounding grassy areas. They were great?until I got to Horizons Grand Prairie.

The Director could not have been nice...

The Director could not have been nicer. My sisters and I felt a real bond with her. SH-Cedar Hill seems an excellent choice for my Dad when the time comes. I believe Dad is just not there yet. But when he is our decision to place here is unanimous.

Very nice for someone who needs lots ...

Very nice for someone who needs lots of assistance. All people looked frail and needed walking assistance.Assisted living one set price, no matter how much care is needed.

Sterling House provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs and care. Through Brookdale’s signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Our residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

At Sterling House we promise Respect for Individual Preferences by offering personalized care needs and providing an atmosphere that encourages each resident to live in health and longevity. We also offer special housing and care options for those who require assistance with the activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing and dispensing of medications. Our community offers graduated levels of care based upon the individual need of residents, as determined by our continual assessment process. We are dedicated to enriching the lives of our residents every day with signature services for those who value their freedom and independence, but desire or need services providing them with the highest level of quality, care and value.