Best Loving Care Around

I love the care my mom is getting!!! Better than any hospital or facility around!!

Great if all you need is a "babysitter."

My Mom & Dad (age 91) stayed in Concordia Guest Home for 6 weeks. When we interviewed the caregivers we explained that my mom was completely wheelchair bound and needed assistance getting in and out of it, but my dad was still mobile and wanted to be as active as possible. The home was shared with the caregivers (husband, wife and 2-year old) and two other ladies. The other ladies spent the entire day watching Catholic mass. When my dad wanted to go for a walk, he was not allowed to go alone, but the husband caregiver was usually "too busy" to go with him or if he did go, he was in a hurry to get it done. All my Dad could do was to walk around in circles in the back yard.

As the caregiver for my mom, my dad loved to cook and experiment with many different recipes. The wife caregiver admitted she was not much of a cook and most of their meals were "out of a can or box." My dad had heart issues and was supposed to watch his sodium intake, which with all the processed meals was not good.

From the very beginning, my dad was not happy with his situation and was very demanding and outspoken, which the caregivers (especially the husband) responded in kind, rather than trying to be patient and understand my dad's frustrations. This resulted in several yelling matches.

Although they were supposed to receive 24/7 care, several times my mom was put to bed at 4 PM because the only one able to transfer her from the wheelchair to the bed had evening activities that took him away from the house. He told my dad that his day was done at 5 PM.

After "climbing the walls" for 6 weeks, we found an assisted living facility where they could be together, they were served a larger variety of meals, daily activities were provided and they actually had 24/7 care. Unless your loved one just wants to sit all day and eat processed food, I would not recommend this facility.