Commonwealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield - North Chesterfield, VA

Highly Recommended!!

I can't begin to say how wonderful the community has been with my father. The meals are terrific the taste and the nutrition is great! Housekeeping maintains the bedrooms and the rest of the community spotless. I love the support that they have been providing for me as well. My father has been participating in a few of the activities that they offer.

Commonwealth Senior Living

On behalf of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield, I would like to thank you for your feedback and for entrusting us with your father’s care to us. Providing our residents and their family members with the care, dignity, and respect that they deserve is our top priority. If there is every anything that we can do to improve you or your father’s experience, please feel free to reach out to me at [removed] or [removed]. Charles Ix, Regional Vice-President of Sales & Marketing, Commonwealth Assisted Living

Be more Serious!

The staff here shows a lot of respect to their residents which is what I love. There are certain areas that they could use help with about remembering what my loved one needs. I was able to tell them and they have done a better job. The activities are good, but my loved one would prefer activities that are more intellectual than playful.

Very friendly staff they area willing to adapt their care to your needs.

been there since early August and their medications have not been right yet

At Commowealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield they need a nurse that knows what she is doing. The director of nursing has screwed up my parents medication on more than one occasion. They have been there since early August and their medications have not been right yet. The staff is very nice and my parents like it there. But as much as I have to pay I should not have to be responsible for making sure they are getting the medications right. This is definitely one area that really needs improving here.

Commonwealth Senior Living

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I’m glad to hear that your parents enjoying living at our community. I’m also sorry to hear that some of your experiences have not met your expectations. As the Executive Director of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield, I take your concerns very seriously. Our top priority is providing our residents with high-quality and compassionate care. I can assure you that we work closely with our residents’ physicians on any medication orders. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further and you can contact me directly at [removed] or [removed]. Thank you and I look forward to talking with you. – Jennifer Koeniger, LALA, Executive Director, Commonwealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield

Very nice place!

They are doing a great job at Commonwealth Assisted Living! They're taking great care of my Mom, and we are very pleased with the service. Every single employee I've met here has been caring and professional, and the facility is clean and well maintained. I also like that it is a smaller, homey feeling community. I highly recommend them!

Commonwealth Assisted Living at Chesterfield is a new facility just opened in November 2014 according to the tour. It has easy access off of Chippenham Parkway and Ironbridge Road. It looks and feels new or, at least, newly remodeled. There is easy access to shopping, the McGuire Veteran's Hospital and the Chesterfield County Airport and government center if any of that is important. I thought of McGuire Veteran's Hospital because I was introduced to a financial adviser here from NEXT Financial Group who is supposed to help me with filing for veteran's benefits for my father regardless of which assisted living facility I eventually choose. The facility is still new enough that it is not full and life is pretty flexible. Meals are whenever the residents want them with no set schedule. Activities are planned but loosely so that residents have the option of changing those plans to meet their preferences. I don't know if this can continue once the facility is full but for now scheduling is very open. The activities director did tell me that bingo is on the calendar twice a week because that is what the residents want. I asked because my father is not a big fan of bingo. I was able to observe the late lunch "gang" as they sat at a table together enjoying each others company. It seemed to be led by some older men but there were plenty of women participating as well. This is an informal, not scheduled, group but I understand this is a regular occurrence from the staff. They seemed to be having a great time. If rigid scheduling is your preference then this would not be a place I would recommend but if you were looking for a more casual atmosphere, look no further. The major concern that I had for the facility was the lack of a physical therapy room. I was told that physical therapists did come to the facility and just used the hallways for their practice. I was not sure this would be enough for my father who is recovering from a serious fall and will need to learn to walk again. The other concern I had was for some of the a la carte items not included in the base cost. For example, laundry was an extra monthly charge even though there did not appear to be an on-site public laundry facility. I was told that this was open to negotiation but I felt it should be included. I met a number of the staff and they were all nice and interesting. All the residents that I saw seemed in good condition and happy to be there. I looked at the inspection reports for this facility at the Department of Social Services website and nothing stood out to me. There were a number of violations but they mostly seemed to be in complying with regulations and not serious patient concerns. I am glad the inspectors are very rigorous and that the information is available to the public.