Cascades of Tucson - Tucson, AZ

Life is as vibrant and carefree as you choose to be! You decide when, where and how to enjoy the many pleasures of living at our distinguished Tucson, Arizona retirement community. Intentionally designed with attention to comfort and detail, Cascades was planned specifically to accommodate senior living. From the stimulating activities to the serene grounds and palate pleasing, healthy dining choices, we strive to meet every interest.

Cascades of Tucson prides itself on being a highly recommended senior lifestyle residential community recognized for its outstanding quality of services. Offering affordable lifestyle and care options for both active, independent and assisted living, Cascades stands apart from the many choices available in Arizona retirement communities. We take great pride in having created an environment where relationships with family members are strengthened and where daily life for our residents is enriched and inviting.

Excellent quality of Staff!!

I have recently moved my mother into this community and I could have not picked a better place for her to go. Every time I got to visit her they are always tending to her needs and interacting with her which really warms my heart. I liked that there is a registered nurse on the floor at all times throughout the day as well as night . Overall my mother is safe and comfortable in her living environment and that is what is most important to me. I would highly recommend this place to anyone interested.

Budget Friendly!!

The main reason I had taken a tour of this community for my self was because it was the least expensive out of all the different ones we had looked at. I was just not impressed with it, other than the price there was nothing else I was interested in. If you are looking for a budget friendly place I would recommend it to you.

A good tour!

I toured many communities with one being Cascades of Tucson. They all had their advantages and disadvantages. This community was nice, the tour guide that took me around was knowable and friendly. It was a good experience, but not the best for my loved ones.

Very nice place!

The Cascades of Tucson was a very nice community as well and had everything that my parents needed, but it was about $1500 more a month than other places. Other than that, it was a very well maintained place and we really liked it.

They Were Pushy and Not Understanding Our Needs

I went and had a tour and I specifically told them I needed a memory care unit. They tried to talk me into an assisted living. They were willing not to have her be as safe as she could be. I felt they wanted a resident real bad. I would not recommend

Megan Hiatt

This goes against everything we believe in, and I'm not sure you even have the right place. It is against our license to place an individual who needs memory support into our Assisted Living community and we would NEVER make that recommendation. Sometimes there is a question until an assessment is preformed and perhaps you misunderstood the process. When we support independent, assisted, and memory care environments this would not even make sense. We welcome the opportunity to clear up your misunderstanding.

Friendly caring staff at Cascades

My parents moved in February 2017 and have been very pleased with the care and services provided. The transition from fully independent home owners to living in an assisted living apartment has been difficult for them. The staff at Cascades is friendly and caring making the transition easier.

Pricey!!

The Cascades of Tucson really compared to the community that we chose, but it was more expensive and not as nice. Other than that, it was a nice place with nice people, but not what we were looking for.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for taking the time to tour our award winning community! We are happy you have made a choice for a new home and wish you all the best in this new chapter of life.

Great tour!

The Cascades of Tucson was a very nice place. The staff that I met were all very nice. The place was very clean and pleasant to tour but the thing that we did not like was the fact that my mother would have to walk outside in order to get to the dining room.

Megan Hiatt

We appreciate the time you spent with us and the opportunity to show you our community. While our residents do enjoy the walk to the dining room through the covered breezeway, the flower beds and the soothing sound of the fountain, we realize it may not be for everyone. Thank you so much though for your kind words!

Helpful Staff!!

I was pleased with my tour of this community. The staff made sure to take there time with me and answer any questions I may have had in detail. There was lots of apartments and packages available which I liked but It was just not the right fit for me.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for your praise of our community. We sincerely appreciate your time with us. We take pride in lobbying for our seniors and educating people regarding their choices so they can make an informed decision as to the best fit for their needs.

Not The Home We Are Looking For

We took a tour to see if this was our new home. I saw a an office like tower community. We did not like this and did not get the feeling of home on the tour. I thought the staff were good providers and seen that the community was clean.

A great place to live.

I am happy with the community. The staff is outstanding and caring. They do offer alot of great things for me to enjoy. The food is appealing. I would recommend this community to friends and family for good value and good care.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments. Your satisfaction means a great deal to us!

We are pleased with this community!!

The staff we have met so far have been helpful. The food is exceptional. They offer a large salad bar and a good variety of food. The community is very clean and I have already recommended it. They offer a variety of activities to enjoy.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for the time you took to review our community. It is important to all the staff who work so hard in behalf of those we are proud to serve. Your recognition of those efforts as well as your satisfaction is very gratifying. We appreciate that!

Worth looking at!

This community reminded me of a nice hotel. The people I met were nice and the community looked clean. They offer activities on site.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for taking time to look us over! We are very proud of our community and certainly hope you keep us in mind. Recommendations are appreciated.

Not a bad community!!

The person that conducted our tour was nice. The community seemed clean. Cascades focused on an older age group. They seem to have less activities than the other communities we looked at.

Not a bad community!!

The people that conducted the tour were nice and knowledgable. The food was not as good as the community we chose. The cleanliness was less noticeable than the other community.

Cascades was great.

Cascades was great. I think they are an excellent facility. All she has to do is call and they take care of it. It's very well organized, and they are extremely responsive. People stop by constantly to check on her, or just say hello. They have a doggy area, where the dogs can go outside. They have been extremely helpful if we have had any suggestions. The staff in the dining room seem to be very knowledgeable about everyone's diets, and they are unbelievably friendly in the dining room. It's extremely neat, and clean. They have ladies in the front when you walk in, and they know just about everything, and right where to send you when you have questions. When my mom had to go to the hospital, they put a padlock on her door right away to keep things secure. They are very on top of stuff, the medications are kept under lock and key, and they automatically do an assessment.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for your kind words. The comfort, well being and satisfaction of those who choose Cascades as their home means so much. We take great pride in what we do and our goal is to meet and exceed the expectations of those who live here. There are many choices in senior living and when the choice is Cascades, we take that to heart!

Good experience

Things are going pretty well at this facility. The staff is polite and they seem to genuinely care about the residents and their well being. The facility is nice and always clean. Overall, we have had a good experience here so far.

My Parents are enjoying this facility

I helped my parents get placed in this facility and they absolutely love it. They love the facility, the staff and the other residents and they are really enjoying the place.

Megan Hiatt

Thank you for taking time to post your comments! We appreciate the praise and are thrilled to know we are making a difference!

Exceptional!!

My parents live at Cascades; Mom in the Memory Unit and Dad with her. This "family" of loving caregivers is simply outstanding. From Megan and Robin in Sales, to Doug and LuAnn and Angela and Judy in the Memory Care...and really EVERYONE involved in providing care, the love, care and concern, and dignity demonstrated are without equal! It is easy to talk with these folks and they LISTEN. They encourage open and candid communications. I am totally at peace with the environment my parents live in...truly FAMILY!!

Extremely Good Care

They did everything extremely well. My wife was happy there and they took extremely good care of her. If I had to choose a place I would choose it again for myself. I would recommend it, they did an excellent job.

Toured this Facility

This is a memory care facility and my mother does not need that level of care is why we chose not to place her. The facility is very clean and the staff very friendly seem like a good place. My mom is now in Broadway Proper and doing very well and we are happy with them.

Look for respite care elsewhere

My mother-in-law went to Cascades for two weeks respite care. The apartment they have for respite care is not really designed for that but for family of the residents that visit. There were no grab bars in the bathroom & finally one of the caregivers got maintenance to put one in. The bed was too far away from the call cord for respite care. Michael and Sheila were AWESOME caregivers, but the others were basically worthless. Maintenance man was great, but I didn't get his name...sorry. I think because it was known my mother-in-law was only there for 2 wks she was on the bottom of the totem pole. Several times I walked in & I had to help her to the bathroom because she had called repeatedly & no one came or said they had others to take care of first. Sometimes she needed to call 3x to get someone to help her. She was 'told' when she would go to lunch & dinner and when to get up & get dressed in morning. One caregiver cut her leg with her wheelchair foot pedals because she was ALWAYS in a hurry and they charged us when we left for the wound care even though it was their fault. She was always saying how busy she was or how many people/floors she had to care for. Perhaps they need to hire more caregivers?Thought she would be encouraged to participate in activities, but never was. Brochure said phone was included, but it was not. Had to get her a cell phone to use to reach front desk to get a caregiver. Perhaps for independent living and maybe assisted living it would be ok, but for respite care....forget it.

Robin Coats

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We sincerely value all input. All of our guests are equally important to us whether they stay one week or many years. Each person is a conduit to the local community and we understand that significance and the meaningfulness of their perceptions. We take great pride in what we do as evidenced by the many stellar reviews we receive. Because your experience appears to be out of the ordinary, it compels a response.
When experiencing community life and services for the first time, it is an educational process and many people often enter into it with pre conceived ideas and expectations that may or may not be realistic or able to be accommodated in this type of setting. Community life is a compromise. The first priority is always the safety and wellbeing of those who live there. When delivering services, we take into consideration the preferences of the resident and do our best to accommodate those choices but necessarily do so on a scheduled basis. It is impossible to provide service “on demand” in a community setting. To do that would be chaos. There has to be organization to maintain quality and to be effective. An assisted living setting is not one on one care and that is not an expectation that can be accommodated in a community setting. That type of service is usually provided in one’s home if needed or wanted and it is quite expensive.
The apartment your mother-in-law stayed in was one usually utilized for family guests as the apartment used for respite stays was undergoing renovation and updates at that time to ensure that it remains pleasant, well-appointed and accommodating. This was disclosed in the initial inquiry and the guest apartment shown to you prior to making your decision. There are no real differences in the two units. The need for a cell phone was also discussed prior to making your decision and is a personal choice because it is not necessary to use a phone to reach the front desk or a caregiver. That is what the call system located in the bedroom and bathroom of every apartment is designed for and is much more convenient and expedient in the event of an urgent need. Our team suggested relocating the bed closer to the emergency call for that convenience and a very astute caregiver suggested an additional grab bar be installed to supplement those already in place and to specifically recognize and accommodate a need of your mother-in-law.
After reading your comments that it was necessary to call so many times for assistance, we reviewed the call logs. All calls are logged in the computer automatically including the time, date and response time. This is in place as part of our regular routine quality improvement plan and how we monitor response compliance. Those logs show a scenario different than you indicate in your review.
The charge you received for wound care was due to treating an already present wound that admission records provided by your mother in law’s physician indicate was incurred during a visit to his office, prior to coming to Cascades for respite care and not caused by any negligence of a caregiver during the respite stay.
In response to the concern about being told when to go to lunch, dinner or to get dressed in the morning, again, we take into consideration the preferences of the resident and do the best we can to accommodate that on a scheduled basis. For example, when a resident requires assistance with dressing or getting to and from the dining room, it necessarily has to be scheduled in order to be accommodated appropriately.
Activity participation is always encouraged, however, any resident or guest has the right to decline as was evidenced in the case of your mother in law. This is also logged as part of the information used when reviewing care practices and resident compliance for quality management. A resident ambassador is assigned to every new resident including respite stays to help acclimate and act as a buddy to new arrivals. They report the responses of those they assist.
I hope this helps you and all readers to have a better understanding of how things operate in a community setting and why. It is deliberately designed, orchestrated and can’t be left to random requests or provision for service.
We take great pride in what we do and in our reputation for providing quality of life and care for our residents that far exceeds industry standards. We appreciate the opportunity and the privilege of serving you and regret that it did not meet with your expectations. Community life is certainly not for everyone but does serve a very powerful and valuable niche and is a wonderful alternative to the isolation of remaining at home alone and in most cases, a very wise choice for seniors.

I think she is very pleased so far.

I think she is very pleased so far. Things are going well. I don't think there are any concerns at this point. It's clean and the staff is friendly. So far it seems to be working out good.

We are very happy with them

We moved here after a difficult experience, and we are very happy with them. They are doing a great job. She is completely happy and content. They care for the people well here. It's a little bit larger, but we are so happy here.

excellent care, meal plan needs improvement

The individual attention of the caregivers that they give should certainly be praised. The meal plan really needs pretty drastic work. Two meals a day are served, so rather than being able to eat several small portions a day they have to stuff it in all at once, which is not the healthy way to eat for one, and is not good for seniors for another as they tend to eat smaller portions anyway. Mom often only eats half a meal because she can't eat more than that in one setting, but then that's all she gets. They are not allowed to take food out of the dining area so she can't even take some and save it for later. This needs to change.

That is my one major complaint, but other than that they do an excellent job and we are happy.

I'm very pleased with them so far.

I'm very pleased with them so far. It's clean, and the staff is friendly. I didn't know what to expect, but I am pretty happy. I don't know of any way that they can improve. They are very comparable to other places in price. I was impressed with how knowledgeable the marketing director was with Alzheimer's, and everyone along the way has really proved knowledgeable about Alzheimer's.

The Cascades of Tucson is wonderful. ...

The Cascades of Tucson is wonderful. Everything is going really good. I'm satisfied with the staff, the care they give, cleanliness of the facility, and overall services they offer. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Toured7/16/14. This is prob...

Toured7/16/14. This is probably it. Best I have seem. Confident that my wife will get the care and attention she needs. Very nice well maintained facility. Good program for memory care. Helpful staff. Residents appeared well cared for. Food excellent. Close to emergency medical care.

Cascades is a friendly and welcoming place.

Cascades of Tucson has been amazing. The people are so friendly. They have been so helpful with my parents settling in to their Campus. My parents have only been in two day and feel so welcomed and my Mother is beginning to relax after being a caregiver for two year. The apartment is clean and fresh. It is just the right size. The services that are provided meet many of my parents needs.

The attention to what we we...

The attention to what we were needing and the answers to questions we had not even thought of yet was so helpful. Megan gave me a great tour of their campus. It was clean and open. Everyone was friendly. I like the apartments the best of all. It felt like home. They have a secured memory hall that I toured too. Very nice campus. I like the full kitchen in the apartment. Even the Memory hall had a full size refrigerator (no stove). They have doctors who come to the campus. I really liked this place. I had lunch here and it was excellent.

All levels of care

It does provide all levels of care. Everyone was very friendly, but my loved ones haven’t been there very long. I had lunch there and it was good – not gourmet, but decent for a senior palette. Right now I’ll give them a five.

Very Happy Here!

We have had a very good experience so far! My loved one was resisting at first, but is very much enjoying it now! The stress has been lifted off of our family, knowing that our loved one is well taken care of, and happy! We have not had any snags at all here! Our loved one specifically liked this place because there is a good balance of privacy and socialization. She can have her privacy when she wants it, but also be around other people when she wants to.

Good for those at a lower care level

My loved one was here for quite a while, and when she was more independent this place did a great job. As her care needs increased I was less impressed with the assisted living services they offered. She started to grow more and more isolated, and they were not very active in encouraging the residents to participate in activities. We also ran into some problems with medication management, where she was not being given the appropriate number of doses per day.

Great Ambassador Program for New Residents

I think the value is good. This is not against Cascades, it' s just that this type of care in our current economy is expensive. I think it's appropriately priced.

The activities are varied and frequent. One thing that was very beneficial is that when my mother first became a resident she was assigned an ambassador who is a resident who had been there for a while. Their role is to introduce her to different people, show her around, and get her acclimated. I think that concept is really wonderful.

The marketing person was there to answer all our questions whether in person, over the phone or by email. She checked in on mother multiple times and made everyone feel welcome.

Mom thought it was too big....

Mom thought it was too big. Didn't like being on upper floor. Can't stand the elevator. Meals dinning room only. Food, activities. Dad liked being able to eat dinner together. Intercom system a plus but need a speaker in every room, not just by bed and in bathroom

Wonderful facility. The sta...

Wonderful facility. The staff are all extremely friendly and the atmosphere is bright and cheerful. I feel we made the perfect decision for placing my mother.