Carlton Plaza of Sacramento - Sacramento, CA

Carlton Senior Living Sacramento is two communities on one campus offering a continuum of award-winning senior care with senior apartments, assisted living for those who need a little extra help with daily activities, enhanced assisted living for those with more complex care needs, and memory care for those challenged by dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Carlton Senior Living Sacramento is a vibrant, activity-filled, and service-oriented senior community with lots of opportunities to share laughs, fun, and life with new friends. The architecture is stylish and contemporary, with a warm, inviting, and homey atmosphere. At the center of this beautiful Sacramento assisted living community is a large, blooming courtyard and garden with seating areas and umbrella-covered tables for outdoor socializing.

Sacramento is the capital of California and the 35th largest city with a population of nearly 500,000. It's situated in the northern portion of California, just northeast of San Francisco and Oakland. Sacramento is one of many large cities in California, but it provides a good balance of big city feel and small town amenities that makes it great for senior living. Plus, they have a professional basketball team, the Sacramento Kings.

City Info

The city of Sacramento is large both in terms of population and physical size, so there is a lot of diversity and activities to occupy your time.

- Walkability : Sacramento has a walk score of 47, which means you'll have to use your car to run most errands, such as getting groceries or going out for a bite to eat.

- Average Age : The average age of Sacramento residents is 33.7 years, which is actually a bit younger than California's state average of 36.2.

- Weather : Many people come to California for the weather, and it's hard to blame them. The average daily high in Sacramento dips to a low of about 54 degrees in January and only gets up to 92 in July and 91 in August. Plus, the city doesn't get any snowfall in the average year, and rainfall is minimal at 18.51 inches.

- Veterans Facilities : Vets will be right at home in Sacramento, where they've got all the facilities they'll need, including the Veterans Village, Veterans of Foreign Wars buildings, the Veterans Success Center, and more.

Transportation

Since Sacramento isn't the most walkable city, it's important to find good public transportation options here. Lucky for you, there's certainly no shortage.

- Buses : Sacramento's Yolobus and RT Bus are very popular with residents because they both have a solid schedule with convenient routes and can transport riders wherever they need to go at just about any time. Seniors get about a 50% discount on bus fare.

- Trains : Amtrak trains are ideal for long-distance trips outside of the city to see the sights. The RT light rail system covers 418 square miles in the Sacramento area, allowing you to travel freely to nearly anywhere.

- Taxis : Of course, there are also taxi services available in Sacramento, including the Yellow Cab.

Health and Safety

There's nothing more important than your health and safety when looking for senior living, and Sacramento is a nice choice in both regards.

- Hospitals : Being a larger city, Sacramento has tons of hospital options, including some for treatment of very specific diseases or problems. These include the Mercy General Hospital, Sutter General Hospital, and the UC Davis Medical Center.

- Crime Rate : Sacramento has a violent crime rate of 64 and a property crime rate of 52, both a bit higher than the national averages. However, a lot of this is concentrated in specific areas of the city, including Old North Sacramento and southeast Sacramento. However, police have added cameras which have significantly reduced violent crime.

Sports and Leisure

Sacramento is huge and gets nice weather, which is a great combination when it comes to finding good sports and leisure. You will find plenty to do to get your exercise here.

- Golf : Sacramento has plenty of golf courses and clubs, but you'll have to go more toward the outside of the city to find most of them. Still, you have plenty of golfing choices here, such as Swallows Nest Country Club and Anocil Hoffman Golf Course.

- Tennis : Tennis is everywhere in Sacramento, including public parks, gyms, tennis clubs and more. If you love tennis, you'll love Sacramento. Be sure to check out Sutter Lawn Tennis Club and Natomas Racquet Club.

- Gyms : Sacramento doesn't seem to have any senior-specific gyms, but many gyms in the city offer programs that are designed specifically for seniors, including California Family Fitness and The Capital Athletic Club.

Shopping and Entertainment

As is the case with just about every large city in the world, you'll find tons in the way of shopping and entertainment in Sacramento.

- Clothes : Although you will find more typical options like Ross Dress for Less and Old Navy, Sacramento also has some really cool, unique clothing stores, such as boutiques, clothing exchanges, custom clothing stores and more. Heart Clothing Boutique and Julius Clothing both have some great choices.

- Groceries : Sacramento has everything you could ask for in the way of groceries, including smaller grocery stores, outlets where you can save, specialty stores, and typical stores like Safeway, Walmart and Trader Joe's.

- Restaurants : Restaurants are plentiful in Sacramento, and they have it all. Whether you're looking for a good farm-to-table meal, some sushi or Italian, or even delicious southern fried chicken, you can find it right in the city. The Kitchen, The Waterboy and Biba Ristorante Italiano are local favorites.

- Movie Theaters : Sacramento features many different movie theaters, with some that show the newer movies and others that are designed for a more niche audience. You can even find performance art theaters here. Regal Cinemas, Century Arden 14 and XD, and The Tower Theatre are just some of your choices.

- Libraries : No matter where you are in Sacramento, there's always a library somewhere nearby, and probably a bookstore, too. In addition to the Sacramento Central and Arcade Libraries, there is also the Witkin State Law Library, among others.

- Attractions : There's plenty to do for fun in Sacramento, including a trip to Sutter's Fort, the Crocker Art Museum, or the Sacramento Zoo.

Religious Facilities

One of the biggest benefits of moving to a larger city is having more religious facilities nearby. When there are five or six dozen churches in the city, chances are pretty good that you can settle on one of them to satisfy your needs.

- Churches and Worship Centers Nearby : Sacramento has a range of churches in the city, including the St John's Lutheran Church, Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church, St Paul's Episcopal Church, First Christian Church, Fremont Presbyterian Church, Sacramento Central Seventh-Day Adventist Church, and plenty of others.

A nice place

I toured this community for my mom. I was able to speak with the staff who were more then friendly. The community was very clean and taken care of. They do offer activities, but I am not sure what is offered. Families might want to tour this community

Review of Carlton Plaza Of Sacramento - Sacramento, Ca

Without a doubt - the most dangerous community in Calif. In less than a month, my mother - who had NEVER had a transfer injury - received: MAJOR upper arm bruising (4 finger + palm print), 3 silver dollar or larger skin tears on her shins, a major cut on her upper arm - blamed on a bracelet that could not go that high. Although staff was friendly - they clearly should not be working with medically fragile residents.

Room For Improvement

I think that they could improve on keeping the residents clothing articles more separate. Also they could improve a little bit on bathing the residents better in the dementia ward. I think in the memory care unit they could install those step-in bath tubs, that would help out.

Friendly and Accommodating

The one thing they can improve on is maybe a better orientation for the initial move-in. Other than that they were very friendly and also very accommodating and have always answered any questions that I have had.

excellent

We have had a very positive experience with Carlton Plaza of Sacramento. They are very responsive and communicate with us very well, answering any questions we have, and keeping us informed and engaged. The initial person we met with did an excellent job introducing us to the place and getting us acclimated.

I do think that the personal care could be improved a little as far as hygiene and such. That and some of the processes to get the right level of care needed can be a bit cumbersome.

very good

Carlton Plaza of Sacramento has been very good. The staff at the front desk are all very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. They are very quick to respond to any needs or requests when they arise. I like the fact that they let him go in at the level of care that he felt he needed, and then added on additional care services as needed. I liked that a la carte approach.

Excellent facility. Very clean. Staff was very friendly and residents that I spoke with seemed happy. The staff stayed in touch until we settled on the facility that would be used.

Overall it has been really good

They have been extremely helpful. I do not have any major complaints at all. Overall it has been really good.

Though there are no complaints, just a couple of observations:

The food could improve a little. It is definitely not bad, but could be better in my opinion. They did just recently lose their main chef, so that is part of the reason for this, and I am sure it will improve.

I would also like if they were more proactive about alerting the family members of the residents when any changes, even if minor, are going to be made.

Overall though it has been very good and I highly recommend them.

Awesome!! Perfect place for both me and my husband. Only problem is the price but it is well worth it. Seriously considering this one if I can adjust my finances

They seem to be doing a pretty good job.

They seem to be doing a pretty good job. We haven't been there very long. It's clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. They take care of the medications. We haven't been able to take advantage of all the stuff they to have to offer yet, but hopefully we will soon.

Review of Carlton Plaza of Sacramento Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Sacramento, CA

Beautiful facility and accommodations. General population seemed very outgoing and social. Something Bettie is not.

Outstanding facility; friendly staff.

This was the first place we toured when looking for a home for my mother-in-law. This is a beautiful facility that is bright, cheerful, and welcoming. The staff is very friendly and we could see that the residents were happy and busy. They have a lot of activities and encourage everyone to take part. We saw people in wheelchairs being taken to exercise classes. The rooms are big with lovely bathrooms. We didn't realize we would need to provide the furniture. Our tour director was very knowledgable. She provided us with a lot of very helpful information and suggestions. During the process of searching for a facility, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with dementia. We chose a small care home which we felt would be a better fit for her. However, we were very impressed with the Carlton Plaza and feel it would be a great place.

Happy Father!

My father was resistant to leave his home. He is fiercely independent and was not accepting of the fact that he had some acquired limitations due to a surgery following a hip fracture. In addition the surgery seemed to have mildly affected his cognition and short term memory. The staff was very welcoming and patient. They have done everything they could to make sure his unique dietary preferences are provided, that his room location is convenient to the elevator and that he is happy. Recently he said that "This is home." Of course, I am thrilled to know my father is happy and looked after with care.

I am very happy with Carlton Plaza. I...

I am very happy with Carlton Plaza. It's very clean and the staff is friendly. The meals are very good, it makes them stand out above the rest. I didn't think I could afford them at first, but they had a few rooms for a discount, and we were able to get in. Their friendliness also stood out, I liked that the residents were all very happy. It's like a Hilton Hotel compared to most places.

Didn't Answer My Questions

That one was okay but their staff couldn't answer a lot of questions about the things that I specifically said I needed. That didn't sit well with me. It was like they had a little scripted tour that they go through and every time I asked a question she sort of glossed over it, went back to her script and never really answered my questions.

Outstanding!

My sister lives in the area and goes over there everyday to see my mom and I talk to my mom every night. We're more than satisfied with where she's staying. The care, the facility and the attitude of the workers there - it's just outstanding!

My mom is very comfortable there. The cleanliness, the staff, the food, everything is just great. It couldn't be better. The next step for us would be to get her to a nursing facility instead of the assisted living but, so far, Carlton Plaza has worked out really well.

All Day Dining

Carlton Plaza, actually, they have a better sort of transition program for people with memory issues. They can transition between assisted living and memory care.

They have all day dining and I wasn't sure about that because one of the issues we were having with my mother living at home was that she wasn't eating. I wasn't sure how they were going to monitor whether or not she was eating and I didn't know if she would go down for meals if it was open like that. So I wasn't comfortable with that. At the time that I was making my issue that had a ticket open with the state licensing board. I don't know it was resolved but I didn't want to put my mother somewhere with an open ticket.

Toured Elk Grove facility. ...

Toured Elk Grove facility. Impressive. Liked its size.Good food service set up. Bright, inviting dining room. Rooms well designed size wise.

Happiness at Carlton

We moved to Carlton Plaza three years ago before my husband was told he had dementia. Since then his dementia has progressed. Some days are better than others. He sees people that are not there, he wants to go to the dentist at 3 am or barbecue steaks ( we have no barbecue) or review his platoon or go downstairs and give a speech. At Carlton we have people who you can talk to and are now having a six month course on dementia. Sometimes Pete gets very forcefully in his demands but I have a white cord I can push if I feel he is going to Hirt me.
Carlton also has other facilities across the patio- one foe people who become too disruptive avd one for residents who are very confused (alheimers) I feel so fortunate to be in this place where I have help when I need it. They also take care of all my needs like cooking, cleaning, ordering and giving medicines, changing beds etc.; making it possible to take care of Pete. We also have many activities like watercoloring, dancing, listening to music, watching movies all which are good for the person with dementia.

Premier facility. Care add ons are p...

Premier facility. Care add ons are pricey. Great Ambience !