Briarwood Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center - Needham, MA

The nursing care was good. The staff was friendly. Briarwood is a nice place, but the doctors at the hospital released my husband before he should've been, so he ended up having to go back to the hospital anyway. The whole experience has not been a good one, but that's not really Briarwood's fault. The cleanliness was, for the most part, fine. The food wasn't very good. For example, the string beans they served my husband had been very overcooked.

I'd recommend Briarwood to a friend.

The nurses are good at making sure I'm updated.

My loved one thought it was a very clean place. There were lots of areas that were lacking though. The nurses weren't happy people. They didn't have a smile on their faces. Most of the aides had attitudes. They didn't make my loved one feel like they wanted to care for her. The only redeeming people were the case manager and the rehab staff. The dietitian never came in like they were supposed to. The meals were okay. They didn't provide options. Some food that she'd order she never got.

The staff is friendly enough, but not great. They don't call and tell me anything. I have to ask. I assume they would call if anything very bad was happening, but they don't give me basic updates. And they didn't tell me when she was having trouble eating. My mother has been there almost three weeks and she's losing weight because she's not eating properly. They put her at a table that was way too high for her, and she couldn't reach her food. And they put her on a mechanically soft diet, and she wasn't liking the food at all, and they didn't tell me any of that. They have started helping feed her, and that's good, but it took them weeks to make that fix. And I was told when she first went there that her clothes either needed to be taken home and washed, or if we left them for them to be washed, they would put a marker on them to keep track. I told them I would do it myself, but they did it anyway and didn't mark them, so half her clothes are missing. Even the ones I marked after that initial incident go missing. It's hard for me to believe that they can't figure this out. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that she get to keep her clothes.

Briarwood Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center specializes in short-term rehab and skilled nursing care. We are conveniently located within a block of Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham. Our highly trained staff of medical professionals works collaboratively to create a comprehensive and individualized treatment plan for each resident. Our goal is to provide the highest possible level of care and to focus on the needs of preferences of each resident and family that comes to us. In addition to excellent physical, occupational, and speech therapies, we also offer specialty care in pulmonary therapy for residents with any of a number of acute or chronic lung diseases. Residents at Briarwood also enjoy the companionship of pets, the beauty of a lush, cultivated landscape, and delightful and healthy dining experiences.