Presence Bethlehem Woods Retirement Community - La Grange Park, IL

Nice visit however my mother would prefer more independent living options/amenities and updated 2bed/2bath, underground parking.

Not the right fit

I toured this community it was nice for an older building. It had tiny rooms and it was more independent living and my dad needed a little more care and staff around. They answered all my question and were helpful. The people seemed happy here. It just wasn’t a good fit for my dad.

The best place for mom

When we walked in this community we got such a good vibe and knew this was the right place for mom. They are very proactive about stuff and always communicates with me for any changes with her. The caregivers are beautiful and helpful. The food is great and it is always clean and tidy everywhere. The staff tries to engage her with the activities she goes to church and she's played bingo and done some crafts. I would recommend this community.

Wonderful Care!!

I have no complaints of how things are going for my loved one since they made the move into this community. The staff are excellent people and I am comfortable with the care they are providing her while I am away. She has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in activities from time to time . I would defiantly recommend it to anyone.

Very helpful with my parents!

This is a wonderful facility! They have been very helpful with both of my parents, as far as the care that they require. The staff is amazing! The location is great for my family, and my father appreciates the fact that this is a Catholic establishment. This is a great place!

Mom is adjusting well!

I am satisfied with the staff and care at Bethlehem Woods.They encourage my mother to join in activities even if most of the time she doesn't. One thing I wish they would change is their meal plan. It would be nice if they gave you the option to switch lunch and dinner. She doesn't always want to go down for dinner and she pays an additional cost for lunch. We chose Bethlehem Woods because the location is ideal and we liked the amenities they offer.

Pleasant Tour

My mother and I had a good tour of this community. Everyone was very kind, and friendly. The community looked nice, and well maintained. Our questions were answered, and they were informative. It was a pleasant experience. The choice was up to my mother, and she decided to go with another community.

Small homelike community!

The Bethlehem Woods has been a great move for my mother. We are very happy with all of the staff and the way the place is set up. It's a small building so my mother gets more one on one time with the staff and caregivers. We really like the food and the place is kept very clean at all times. I like that it's not as formal, so it feels more like home to mom. It's great for the price!

Visited but not impressed. Too large very old feeling. Feeling of nursing home environment.

Enjoyed My Tour

I toured this community for my mother and her needs, and everything went pretty well. It is a nice community with friendly people. From what I saw everything looked nice and neat. They do a good job with the cleanliness of the facility. It was a pleasant experience, and I enjoyed my tour of this community.

Took A Tour!!

The staff that i met was nice and attentive. The tour guide was knowledgeable and explained the activities and amenities the community offers. It was clean and well organized. This place is a pet friendly community. They also offer healthy meal plans for the residents.

Nice Community, But Not The Place For My Mother

This is a nice community, my tour went well. From what I saw everything looked well maintained. The staff I met was kind and friendly. They were informative and answered my questions. They were not able to provide the level of caring my mother needed. I had a pleasant tour of this community, but not the place for my mother.

All Is Well

It has been going great and all has been well for my mom. It is a very clean facility. The location is great for us, it's 5 minutes away! My mom likes the food she gets. At dinner time she is able to socialize with different residents everyday. I would recommend this place and I thank A Place For Mom for the lead.

My mom is very happy living at Bethlehem Woods. Many new friends, activities and she can walk indoors to church everyday. We wish we moved her 5 years ago!

Could Have Done More

I think they probably could have done a few more things for my loved one. The price went up three times before we signed the paper work, and I couldn't figure out why. They should have done more for her in my opinion. They took good care of her though.

The administrator was very friendly, knowledgeable, and generous with her time. I was looking at assisted living options. The facilities are very clean and in good condition. Residents are out and busy; there are lots of good scheduled activities. Studio apts are small but adequate with good closet space and excellent bathrooms. There is a lot of communal area and access to the larger communal areas at the center of the shared facility. The entire staff is very friendly and busy. This is a top-notch place.

Bethlehem Woods Retirement Community offers 270 spacious independent living residences and 64 licensed assisted living apartments in a variety of floor plans. Independent living amenities include: restaurant-style dinner served daily, 24-hour staff and emergency call system, Wellness Clinic and exercise program, walking/bicycle paths and garden areas, on-site banking, free scheduled transportation to nearby shopping and other destinations, formal living room and library, attractive lounges and laundry facilities on every floor as well as planned social activities and outings. All utilities, including cable and local phone charges as well as building and apartment maintenance and housekeeping every other week are included in the monthly service fee. The following services are available for additional fees: hair salon and barber shop, Country Store and gift/snack shop, dry cleaning pick-up and delivery, indoor parking, guest suites, on-site geriatric specialists, audiologist, optometrist and podiatrist.

Beechwood Manor, our licensed assisted living community offers all-inclusive monthly fees. Assisted living services include: three meals a day, 24 hour oversight by resident assistants, emergency call system, medication reminders, weekly light housekeeping, assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming and laundry. All utilities, including cable and local phone are also included in the monthly fee. Residents living in Beechwood Manor have access to planned social activities and outings as well as free scheduled transportation to nearby shopping and other destinations.

Located on 42 beautiful wooded acres in LaGrange Park, Bethlehem Woods Retirement Community is sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and the Sisters of the Resurrection.

City Info

No wonder the quaint, self-contained La Grange Park, IL locality is referred to as a village!

As a suburb located 14 miles west of Chicago, La Grange Park has all the benefits of a close-knit neighborhood with residents sharing a sense of community, history and even family traditions. The village also has a long history of dedicating significant resources to schools, churches, and single family homes, which range in value from $350 thousand to more than $1 million.

Rather than a traditional mayor figure, La Grange Park has a Village President, who works part-time when he's not at his dentist practice located four miles away in neighboring Berwyn, IL. This strong work ethic was shared by La Grange Park's founder and first Village President, Franklin D. Cossitt, who purchased and developed 600 acres of land after losing his wholesale grocery business in the Chicago Fire of 1871. As part of Cook County, and Illinois' 5th Congressional District, La Grange Park has been represented by several prominent statesmen, including former White House Chief of Staff and Chicago Mayor Rohm Emanuel.

The historic downtown Village of La Grange Park is noted on the National Register of Historic Places. The area is alive with dining, entertainment and shopping during the week and on weekends. The village has garnered regional recognition as the best downtown and the best places to live by Chicago Magazine. The hard-working, cooperative, hospitable spirit of La Grange Park makes it quite an attractive place to live, especially during the golden years of life.

- Walkability Score: With a walk score of 21 out of 100, La Grange Park forces Bethlehem Woods community residents to be car dependent. Going beyond the 42-acre facility will require reliable transportation.

- Other Nearby Senior Housing Facilities: There are about 17 other assisted living facilities nearby, four others in La Grange.

- Average Weather Info: Fahrenheit temperatures can reach as low as -6 and as high as 65 in the winter, with an average of about 28. Early spring doesn't warm up too much at 14 degrees, but by the end of season, temperatures reach the 90s. During summer, there are a couple rare 100+ days, with an average of about 75. Expect averages of about 55 degrees during the fall, with some rare dips to 14 and rises to 95.

- Veteran’s Facilities in the Area: The closest veterans facility is Oak Park Vet Center . The Chicago area offers access to about 8 service centers total. La Grange Park's Veterans Memorial Park , inside of Memorial Park, displays etched dedication bricks honoring all active war military.

Transportation

- Buses: The Bethlehem Woods community is at least a 20-minute walk from the closest Stone Avenue Pace Bus stop. Buses offer ride services for seniors, who must apply in person for a Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) Reduced Fare Permit.

- Trains: There is no mass transit train in La Grange Park, although there is connecting access to Metra rail, which services the Chicago area, and nine Amtrak stations in the surrounding areas. Pace transfers are not accepted for Metra. The closest Metra connection is the BNSF Railway stop in La Grange.

- Taxis: 5th Avenue Cab has a longstanding reputation for quick responses, friendly drivers and nice, updated transport vehicles. Residents can also use City-Suburban Taxi and Blue Cab.

- Ride Share: Pace sponsors RideShare , a carpool and vanpool matching service for the area.

- Airports: There are two accessible airports, including Chicago Midway International and O'Hare International .

Health and Safety

- Hospitals: Loyola Center for Health at La Grange Park , AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center La Grange (Level II Trauma Center) and Mac Neal Hospital .

- Crime Rate: The village receives high marks for safety. Violent crimes rate 75 percent lower than the overall state of Illinois and 79 percent lower than the national average.

Sports and Leisure

- Golf Courses: Fresh Meadow Golf Club in Hillside is considered one of the most affordable daily golf tee properties in the area. La Grange Country Club (closed Mondays) has been around since 1899 and has hosted the US Women's Open Championship. Cook County is also home to Meadowlark Golf Course.

- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Residents enjoy the public courts at Gilbert Park. Other nearby courts: La Grange Field Club, Score Tennis & Fitness, Oak Brook Tennis Center , Midtown Athletic Club , Salt Creek Club, Hinsdale Racquet Club , River Forest Tennis Club, and The Tennis and Fitness Centre.

- Gyms: Senior-friendly (Aerobics) - Greater La Grange YMCA , (water aerobics and Silver Sneakers programming) Active Souls (women only), Orangetheory Fitness, Dailey Method (group workouts for pilates, yoga, and barre fitness).

Shopping and Entertainment

- Clothes Shopping: Women: Jayne, Cleo Boutique and Alixandira Collections ( both trendy), and Vintage Charm (throwback clothing). Men: Bachrach , Men's Wearhouse.

- Grocery Stores: Fruitful Yield (natural and organic), Jewel-Osco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (Hinsdale and Orland Park) and Aldi (Countryside). There is also a La Grange Farmer's Market on Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., May through October.

- Restaurants: Mattone Restaurant and Bar (Italian), Q-BBQ , Blueberry Hill Breakfast Cafe , Prasino (contemporary American with farm-to-table focus), The Capital Grille (fine dining in Chicago), Nickson's Eatery (Southern), Palmer Place (American with rooftop and patio seating), Woow Sushi , Grapevine Mediterranean Gourmet , Wild Monk , Lucca Pizzeria & Ristorante, and Aurelio's Pizza .

- Movie Theaters: La Grange Theatre (new releases in restored 1920's theater), AMC Loews Quarry Cinemas 14.

- Libraries: La Grange Park Public Library

- Senior Friendly Salons: Symmetry Hair Salon , D'Dami Salon & Spa (at Village Market), and Andy's Hair Design (barber shop).

- Attractions and Signature Events: Annual Pet Parade, Craft Show, Endless Summerfest, West End Art Festival, Halloween Walk and Holiday Walk. Seniors may also be interested in Mother Cluckers storytelling and comedy or the Salt Creek Chamber Orchestra .

Religious Facilities

Churches and Worship Centers: The village offers diverse opportunities for faith-based gatherings. There are 19 churches in the area representing a total of six denominations, including:
- First Baptist Church of La Grange