Addington Place of Shoal Creek - Kansas City, MO

Great

While looking for a place for my love one I thought that this place is great. The staff members are really nice. It was really difficult to decide where my love one should be and be comfortable. But this facility along with the others that I have seen was really nice.

Could use some updating

I toured this facility when trying to find a place for my parents. It went well and there wasn’t anything wrong with it. The thing that my parents wanted the most was to be able to move into a brand new community and not feel like the “new kids”. But here, there were a few times that the residents mentioned to us that they had their own places to sit and that it takes a while to get used to everyone. The carpet looked a little outdated and I think overall the building itself could use some updating. But other than that, there wasn’t anything I saw that truly put me off. Ultimately, we went with a different community but this was our second choice.

Nice facility but lacks number of rooms

I toured this very nice facility when I was first looking for a place for my sister. At the time, they didn’t have that many rooms available but the facility itself is pretty new. The lady there that I talked to, [Removed], was wonderful and extremely helpful. She was really helpful even when she knew that we were going to choose somewhere else. She even called us to make sure things were going smoothly and gave us suggestions about how to help my sister be comfortable with moving, even though she knew we weren’t going to be using that specific facility. I believe there are people here that really care about the people that reside here. The only reason we didn’t choose this place was because of the lack of rooms.

Mom's Good Care

This is a nice community for good care. We like knowing that the community. The menu of the meals are appealing and she is pleased with the nice variety. The activities are available to the residents who want to participate and we hope in time she will be more active. We would recommend this community for the good value and care of a loved one.

They are on top of things!

The staff are helpful and friendly. They have a lot of daily activities. The food is good and they offer a variety of choices. The community is clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community.

Close Choice!!

The Benton House was very nice. If they would have had a 2 bedroom apartment available, we would have moved my parents there. The place had a positive atmosphere and was very clean. Also it was all on one floor which we really liked.

My visit!

This is a clean community and the people I met during my tour were nice. The grounds are nice and they have a media center.

A Helpful Community

The experience for my sister has worked out well. She is currently on a 60 day step-down programs that allows her to stay at a lower rate for the 60 days until she finds a new home. That program has been helpful. The facility is a fine and nice one, the staff are helpful and problem-free. My sister likes it there.

Above and Beyond!!

The staff have been very nice with my loved one. The communication has been wonderful on their behalf. I would recommend a tour of this community the staff are very attentive and help with keeping my loved one safe at all times. All of the atmosphere is positive the bedrooms and the activity centers are all well up-kept.

My mother spent a week in a lovely, comfortable room for a week of respite care while my husband and I vacationed. She had a nice stay and looked very happy and rested when we returned to bring her home.
The office staff and care staff are very welcoming.
The facility is laid out nicely so that there is not a long walk for anyone to the dining and entertainment area.

My mom and dad lives in this facility and loves it! Everyone is friendly and helpful. If we have questions or concerns they are quick to help us. I would recommend Benton House of Shoal Creek for any of your loved ones.

Bad Nurses

I have a family member that lives in the Shoal Creek Benton House. It has recently come to mine and my family's attention that my family member is not getting the care she deserves and what we pay for. I was told by my family member and an employee that there is an LPN that works 3p-11p who verbally [removed] the residents. There have been several complaints from other residents and employees concerning this LPN, but it seems as though Benton House is not doing anything about her. I also have done some research and found out the last place this LPN worked before had the same issues and same complaints from their residents and employees and that she was let go from her position because of these complaints.

Also, the turn over of employees there is horrible! And, they have lost some great employees. Just recently, one of the medicine ladies left, not sure why, but I saw it upset a lot of the residents, including my family member. What I dont understand is, why are all the good employees leaving, but nothing is being done to the bad ones. We pay for good care, but don't receive it.

Benton House

Benton House of Shoal Creek is immediately looking into this situation and we encourage you to please contact our home office at: [removed] so our corporate office can learn more about your family member’s experience. We value all the feedback we receive from residents and family members. Our Benton House team strives to provide excellent care to every resident and we thank your time.

A Wonderful Job

Really, Benton House has done a wonderful job as far as taking care of my loved one and her needs. The only thing she says about their cooking is they use a lot of seasoning, but the dining room is good and everything.

very friendly and eager to help

My mother is living at Benton House of Shoal Creek and is doing very well. They are very friendly and eager to help. Everyone is very attentive to the care of the residents. I really can not even think of anything that they could do to improve.

It was beautiful and the staff friendly, but it was just way out of our range.

We toured here, and found that this was like a lot of the really nice places. Way too expensive. It was a lot of money for just the base price with little to no care. It was beautiful and the staff friendly, but it was just way out of our range.

Benton House

Benton House of Shoal Creek thanks you for your time and feedback! We are very happy you had the opportunity to tour our senior living community and meet our staff. Please know our team is happy to discuss further details regarding our many financing options. Also, Benton House is happy to provide your family with information on VA Benefits and a helpful cost comparison worksheet that lists all the amenities, services and meals included in the monthly rent at Benton House. Thank you again for your time and please contact our community relations director to learn more!
- Benton House of Shoal Creek

Overall I was very pleased with the care and experience!

Excellent development of plan of care for my parent!
Excellent communication and understanding of desired and needed care. Some difficulties with follow through of planned care.

Convenient Location

Everyone has been incredibly nice and they offer enough games and activities, but my Mom doesn't participate.
There were some communications issues that were resolved as soon as they were addressed. It was about cleaning the room. Everyone has been so nice and helpful. The best part is that its a great location near my house. So, I am able to make frequent stops on my way out in. Also, I have referred lots of people to a place for mom and we are all very pleased withe care and services received. thanks

It's a really nice place. Communication is the only issue.

It's a really nice place. They are very good at caring for my loved one. It's very clean and beautiful, and the staff is friendly. They are very cooperative. Our only issues have been with communication.

Benton House

Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience at Benton House of Shoal Creek. Our team is so happy to hear you are pleased with the care Benton House offers. Please know our management is available to meet with you to address any communication issues. We thank you for your time & feedback!

Not what we expected

Our experience with Benton House has been up and down. Mom moved in a little over a year ago with the promise that she will have the "best care available". I have my concerns. Many times Mom has used her call light and had to wait over 5-10 min for help to arrive. With always the same excuse they were helping someone else. Staff is friendly but Looks stuffy and unhappy. I guess I would be too if my uniform was uncomfortable with what the job details. The employee overturn rate here is terrible. In the past year there has been countless employees come and go and that concerns me. As for dining not too bad except they need a wider range of menu. The meals repeat too often. The activities is always the same. When they do have it I should I say. Uno or bingo. Can we spice it up a bit please? Overall, the place is ok.

I just like the overall feel of the atmosphere here.

So far things are good. Everything is kept clean, and the staff is friendly, and take good care of the residents. I don't have any concerns. I haven't had any complaints about food, or not having enough entertainment. I just like the overall feel of the atmosphere here.

Review of Benton House of Shoal Creek Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Kansas City, MO

Very nice. Need to calculate what the amount will be due to all the extras, but really like this living space. Very homey and nice. Wonderful garden area. Workers seemed very friendly as well as the residents. Really like that they can add their own furnishings and their own touches to their living space.

Benton House visit

I'm disappointed that, after what appeared to have been a thorough assessment, Benton House decided that Dad was more than they could handle (i.e. a two-person assist patient). I gave them a detailed review of his daily routine and how I single-handedly care for his needs.

Benton House

Benton House of Shoal Creek thanks you so much for your time and comments. Please know our senior living community is obligated to make sure all of our senior residents have the best care plan possible. We determine this through our health assessments and resident physician’s reports. Benton House must also follow State Guidelines for all of our senior residents. Benton House is always available to answer any additional questions you may have and we thank you for your time and interest.

Visit to Benton House of Shoal Creek

We visited the benton house but they did not have what we were looking for. The community was very nice but we found the price on a monthly budget did not fit what we were looking to pay, plus their care service did not meet what we were looking for as well.

Not what we were expecting

This is a nice looking place, and the staff are friendly, and helpful. We've been very impressed with the transportation, it's always reliable for scheduled trips, and they've often been able to work Mom in during a time she has not scheduled. They're also very receptive to feedback here, and I've seen them make improvements to issues I've brought up.

However we feel like there is a big disconnect between what we saw on paper and the reality of living here. The problem is that many of the residents are fairly far along the memory care/dementia spectrum, and just aren't aware enough for the sort of socialization Mom needs. Mom is physically frail, but still as sharp as ever mentally. To their credit the facility tries to get more mentally stimulating activities started, but they just can't get enough participants, so often the only activity for the day will be a game of Uno.

New Facility

We liked it. it was newer and very clean, that appealed to us. Unfortunately they didn't have any space at the time but we did like the facility.

Newer, More Expensive

It didn't have anything available right away. It was more expensive and it was newer so of course it's going to look a little bit better.

Don't judge this facility by it's building.

Benton House Shoal Creek is a beautiful building, only a year old, and speaking for the Memory Care side, the staff was very nice, but that's all the compliments I can give. I was looking for a facility where Mom could live out her life. What Benton House and their contract doesn't tell you is that if your loved one gets Shingles, Scabies or probably any other contagion, they will be ejected from the facility without any regard of how they will be cared for. When Mom was kicked out at 9:00 at night, we were told to take all her washable items with us. We were handed a sack with Mom’s meds/vitamins and later found they weren't all there. The administration seemed over-worked and under-staffed filling in for absent staff, which I believe was the reason why my Mom was not attended to properly when she first arrived. She missed her bed time and morning meds the first day. Mom came out to meals but no one ever questioned who she was and what her care needs were. She wasn’t bathed, clothes weren’t washed and the room wasn’t cleaned for almost two weeks. I was told 2-3 outings a month when in fact they weren't even being discussed let alone actually happening. The daily care price changed after Mom had moved in which increased my annual expense by $1830. The few dinners I ate were cold and sometimes too hard. (onion rings, bake potatoe) The "Standard" menu is suppose to be available all the time but I was told twice the kitchen was out of something we asked for. We have moved Mom to another facility but anyone familiar with Alzheimer's can tell you how traumatic and devastating multiple moves can be for these individuals. I suggest you think twice before placing your loved one here.

It's good and dad is happy

I think it's good and I think dad is happy there. I don't think he likes the food very much. There is not very much variety from what he says. I can't comment on the activities. I wish he was more involved in them. I know there is a lot. I don't think it's there issue - I think it's my dad. They have movie night, which he does do.

4 meals a day

They are a great place and they provide such a valuable service that you can't put a price on. There is no odor in the community. The community is very nice; it is bright and very open so it allows good airflow. My loved one has actually gained weight and is looking much healthier. The memory care unit always has something going on for the residents and the activities they do are very stimulating for the residents. They do lots of physical activities for them that helps with balance and hand and eye coordination. They have gardens and courtyards where you can sit and relax or walk around in and get some exercise. The have 4 meals a day a continental breakfast for early risers, regular breakfast, lunch and dinner, they also have snacks available all day. You can also bring in something for your loved one they will put it in the refrigerator with their name on it and make it available when they want it. I am very pleased with them and would recommend them to anyone.

Very nice place, just a lit...

Very nice place, just a little too much money. Do not like that you have to pay for extras. Do not provide bed.

Young Community, Needs to Work on Communication

They're a young facility and I think they need to work on their communication and procedures. One of the new nurses there is not very patient or family friendly and she doesn't follow through when she says she'll do something. There are other staff members there that are phenonmenal though.

My loved one lives there and seems to like the place. She has the same concerns I do. Also, they have lots of activites scheduled on the calender but they don't really follow through. Three times she has gone to play a card game that was on the calender but when she gets there it's been switched to something else. Again, they're young and I think they just need to gel a little more.

Very nice, but pricey, have...

Very nice, but pricey, have three other places to visit before making up our minds.

Nothing is as it seems.

Benton House Shoal Creek is a beautiful building, only a year old, and speaking for the Memory Care side, the staff was very nice but that's all the compliments I can give. What the contract doesn't tell you is that if your loved one gets Shingles, Scabies or probably any other contagion, they will be ejected from the facility without any regard of how they are to be cared for. When we were kicked out we weren't given all of Mom's meds and were told to take all her washable items with us. The administration seemed over-worked and under-staffed filling in for any absences. Maybe that's why my Mom was not attended to for almost two weeks. No bathing, washing of clothes or room cleaned. Mom missed her bed time and morning meds the first day. I was told 2-3 outings a month when in fact they weren't even being discussed let alone actually happening. I was told an incorrect daily care price which increased my annual expense $1830. The few dinners I ate were cold and sometimes too hard. (onion rings, bake potatoe) The "Standard" menu is suppose to be available all the time but I was told twice the kitchen was out of something we asked for. We have moved Mom to another facility but anyone familiar with Alzheimer's will tell you how devastating these moves are on someone with Alzheimer's.

Welcome to Addington Place of Shoal Creek, Kansas City, MO’s premier senior living and memory care community. Addington Place of Shoal Creek serves seniors who don’t want or need a nursing home, but who are weary of home upkeep, in need of a little personal assistance or simply desire to have more friends and interactions with others. A point of particular pride for our community is the separate, exclusive neighborhood dedicated to residents facing early stage memory loss. Bright and beautiful, our unique Beacon Neighborhood is still senior living but features an innovative design that is open and homelike yet keypad-protected.