Barrie Manor Retirement Community - Barrie, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Review of Barrie Manor Retirement Community Barrie, ON

We have been very happy with our loved one's care at the Manor. Due to his advanced stage of Alzheimer's, he will need more care than a retirement home can give. Thus a move to LTC is imminent. He loves the food and participates in some of the planned activities. The activity director is so happy and outgoing. Attention to meds requires more attention from the house Doctor. I do not believe that an hour and a half once a week is sufficient for any Doctor to assess the number of patients in the Manor. This is the present schedule.

Review of Barrie Manor Retirement Community Barrie, ON

I do not recommend Barrie Manor retirement for any ones loved ones. The staff has no guidance.The owner has no educational background on how to run a Senior's retirement residence.The manager pretends to pay attention to your needs and concerns but will disregard.It was a great day the moment I moved out and left before the middle of the month and did not receive my father's rent back.Unprofessional.There are residents there that should be in nursing homes not a retirement home, but I suppose "money" matters most .The ministry of health should intervene. I give this place a "0" rating.

Review of Barrie Manor Retirement Community Barrie, ON

At first it was a great place but over the past few months it has deteriorated to the point I am moving my loved one. I currently had been paying 2,400 month rent. They took the second floor and turned it into pre-admissions to a nursing home, I guess like a wait list. Most of the residents there are full care. The assisted living program has disappeared at the Barrie Manor. Uncaring staff, employee turnover is weekly, food is below standard. I have tried to voice my concerns to administration but they fall on deaf ears.

KellieJo Darnley

Barrie Manor realized a need in the community for placement of loved ones with high levels of care. We made the decision to transition into a fully assisted living home in order to help those families in the community that were struggling to cope with a family member who required 24 hour supervision, as well as high medical needs. The wait lists for long term care have increased significantly and the need for this type of care is obvious throughout Simcoe County. Our "Independent Floor" is considered independent and they pay based on the care level they require. A Resident who is admitted at the lowest possible accommodation price is admitted with the understanding that they require no care from the personal support staff. We are always willing to raise the care level for any individual that requests it at any time. We invite you to meet with our Community Relations Manager to discuss your concerns and to create a care plan that is better suited to your loved one.

We have received a lot of feedback regarding the food and have implemented a new food service management team. They have spent the last month focusing on food, flavour and resident feedback in order to create a brand new menu that will be more satisfying to our Residents. The Resident Food Committee meets every month to discuss the food and to brainstorm ideas with the Management and Residents. As change takes time, and the entire home is in transition right now, things will gradually improve thanks to feedback like yours. We encourage all of our families to bring forth their comments, suggestions and concerns at any time. If you are unable to meet, we have two suggestion boxes set up in the home for families and residents to leave us their feedback. Every concern, comment and suggestion is reviewed with the Management Team and the staff to assist us in making Barrie Manor better.

Our experience was terrible

Our experience was terrible. It was just awful. Our relative has dementia and we were made to feel like her behavior was our fault. With the exception of one nurse who was very nice, the staff were very unhelpful and their behavior was not constructive. It seemed to be all about money and not about the patient at all. I can't speak for everyone there, but this was our experience. It was a very unwelcoming atmosphere.

KellieJo Darnley

The transition at Barrie Manor from independent living to assisted care has most certainly been a struggle. The care team is now under new management, policies and procedures are continually being developed and as we continue to orientate our team members. As we are not a memory care unit, high level dementia is unfortunately not something we are set up to handle at this Home. We do, however, work in conjunction with the HCC(formerly CCAC) workers to ensure that our Residents who are beginning to display a higher level of dementia behaviour are placed on the crisis list for long term care. Expansion of our Home into a Memory Care Unit is not planned at this time.

[removed] took me on a wonderful tour. I brought my mom at a later date to see the Manor.
She was impressed. [removed] took the time to go to the kitchen to have a sandwich prepared for my mom as we had been at the hospital for 5 hours prior and she missed lunch.
A wonderful location.

KellieJo Darnley

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all reviews, Good and Bad! Thank you for taking the time to let us know!

40 year old complex. Is in need of many upgrades and a face lift. Has a hospital feel to it. They are currently in the process of upgrading and re-painting. Staff is very friendly

KellieJo Darnley

You are right in so many ways! We have a plan and we will continue to make improvements in every department! Thank you for your feedback!

My brother is happy with the cleanliness and very caring staff at the Barrie Manor.
He loves his meals and tells me they are all home made.
I would recommend it to others.

This facility is extremely clean organized and in my opinion well-managed. my mom is going in for respite care with the hope that she will decide to stay long term at the Barrie Manor. thank you with all my hearts for helping me at such a difficult time .

KellieJo Darnley

You are more than welcome. The vision that the new management team has for Barrie Manor is to provide families with a plan b. Of course, we all hope that as our parents age, we will be able to take care of them as they did us, but the reality is that we all have to work. We all have obligations to our own children, our employers and our community. Having a place that will offer the care services a parent of loved one requires in a loving, caring and safe environment is the most important thing. The Management Team at Barrie Manor works continuously to ensure that our staff understand the needs of not only our Residents, but the families as well. We remind our team members that one day, we may be in that same situation and it is important that we treat others the way we hope others would treat us or our own parents. As we continue to build our team and re-train our staff in the new vision of Barrie Manor we welcome feedback, good or bad, from all of our families and residents. Help us grow, Barrie!

My 89 yr old moms new home

My 89 year old mother could no longer cope on her own. A referral from a place for mom helped me in my searches which went from wild to mild price wise. Taking my mother here from Toronto to Barrie was quite a change. Upon arrival the owner and Head of Adim greated her. Staff there took their time to introduce themselves. These folks bent over backwards to help my mother to get use to her new home. Trust me to get a 89 yr old lady to suddenly change is not going to happen. she has been treated well and is a feisty opponent . So far so good