Avalon Assisted Living & Wellness Center - Wappingers Falls, NY

I toured this community

I toured this community and the person that gave the tour was unprofessional.It was like this wasn't their regular job to do the tours. They weren't prepared for the tour. It is gloomy and older looking in here. It wasn't impressive.

Friendly but cramped

semi private rooms are very small like a campus dorm.
I was greeted at the door and the people are friendly.
I guess for what Dutchess county gets (going rate is $14G) per month for a room its ok?
I am sketchy if I want my father there due to its cramped halls.

She has been happy there.

She has been happy there. The care that they give is just fine. It's clean and the staff is friendly. All of that is very good. I chose this one because it came recommended by someone who also had their mother here.

The place appears very well...

The place appears very well run but I can see that it would be too busy for my Mom.

The rooms were large with o...

The rooms were large with on-suite handicapped baths. The facility had activities for Mom to join.Avalon seemed better equiped for my Mom.

Unpleasant smell

My mom didn't care for it at all, it had too much of an institutional smell, more bodily smell than they were trying to cover it up. But services wise they would have had what my grandparents needed.

not a good location, too sm...

not a good location, too small.

Poor layout in dining room ...

Poor layout in dining room -visable to anyone entering the front doors - no privacy at meal times.Have to go through a busy parking lot to get to the outdoor sitting area. Staff not welcoming or friendly. No posting of daily meals or activities.

OUR MISSION-Our goals and services are based on two fundamental philosophical principles. The belief in the innate worth of the aged and disabled individual and belief that each individual regardless of age, sex, race, religion, or handicap is entitled to maximize his/her potential as a human being and be an active member of society.

The facility management believes that the aging process is a normal step in the development of any individual and that chronic disease and disability are, to some degree, a part of the process. Our services are dedicated to assisting residents in one of our congregate settings with all aspects of their personal care needs as well as all other activities of daily living, thereby promoting individual self respect.