The Landing of Poughkeepsie - Poughkeepsie, NY

We toured the Landing of Poughkeepsie. Beautiful facility. Residents looked happy. Food is amazing. It was clean. However, it was clearly stated this is a social model facility, which means that if my father needs extra care in toileting, he would not be able to stay here. The reality is that with dementia, sometimes they forget how to unbuckle their pants or to wipe. I am just discouraged at how many facilities I have toured where help with toileting is considered more of a medical higher level of care situation - yet he is not appropriate for a skilled nursing facility at this time. To be fair, this is the case with most private assisted living that does not have step down options. I am lucky my father doesn't have agitation, however, they made it clear that this would also not be handled in their memory unit. So, I will save you a trip, if your loved one gets agitated easily, this will not work for you.

The Landing

I spoke with the staff at The Landing while looking at options for my father-in-law, and it was actually my first choice. The staff were wonderful, kind, and great at following up with us. However, it was too pricy, so I ultimately chose a different community

Not all flowers

Look beyond the grounds, the flowers, the beautifully decorated lobby. My loved one had falls, ER visits, not getting medication, bruises, and no one could answer why to any of these happenings. Constant urinary tract infections from not being toileted and the need for myself and family members to be there daily! An investigation by the state was started, I was told, resulting in numerous [Removed]. I advise you to be aware.

New Life

My mother-in-law is trying to settle in here just a change for her . Our move-in was a little trying but the director made sure to help as much as possible. But the staff is great and attentive. They have lots of activities and bus rides to cultural events. And she loves the food 3 great meals a day. She feels safe here and the only thing I had an issue with is the cleaning just needs to be done more often. So it will get better I'm sure. Overall I give them 3.5 out of 5 stars

My mother was evaluated by [Removed] at The Landing and she was accepted. Gave a check for $13 + and was called the next day that after speaking with nurse at Elant, they could not admit her because they were unable to supply the needs my mother required. It was a nightmare since at that time we had furnished her apartment that was to be hers at The Landing. She was discharged from Elant (current nursing home). Our only choice was to bring her home until I could make other arrangements. I can not say enough wonderful things about [Removed]. She has helped me every step of the way and I think we have found a solution. The Landing is absolutely beautiful and I am not sure what to rate them because of my experience.

Tour for options of care.

We toured this community. The staff was nice and they were able to answer the questions I had on the care that is offered at the community. The menu was appealing and the list of activities are nice. We wanted a bigger community for her care. I consider this community to be clean.We would recommend that families see this community on their own for the care of a loved one

Not happy

I am not impressed with the food at this community. The memory care unit is all served the same meal and sometimes it is not eatable. They serve ice cream in a coffee cup. The main dining room food I have tried is good. The community is clean to a point. The staff are friendly. The nurse and social worker have been wonderful.

Good Community For My Mother, and Her Needs

This is community is working out well for my mother, and her needs. She is doing well since her move here. I do feel she is safe, and in good hands. They have nice staff, and they are kind, and helpful whenever needed. The community is well maintained, they do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. They provide good meals, with a nice variety of food to choose from. There are activities offered through out the day for the residents. I'am satisfied with this community, and without a doubt I would recommend it.

Comfort for mom!

My mother is doing as well as we anticipated since her move in. The staff at The Landing are doing a very good job taking care of her. The food is very good, we have actually eaten there ourselves. They have menus and waitresses in a restaurant setting, It is very nice and the people there have been very nice.

Very Dissapointing

The Landing of Poughkeepsie was very disappointing for my Mom & family. Mom should not have been admitted to this facility. Mom required more services than they were willing to give.

The care was very poor. They would not take her temperature, blood pressure and/or assisted her (pushing) her in her wheelchair. Mom's legs are very weak and she needed wheelchair assistance.

Very expensive and poor service. We had to take Mom out of this facility. Thank goodness. Mom is doing much better now in another facility.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry that our community wasn't the right fit for your mom; unfortunately, our licenses limit the level of care we are able to provide. We are grateful for the time we were able to serve your family and wish you the best.

Good Tour

My tour of this community was a good one. Everyone was very kind to my family and myself. The community looked great. The building and everything I saw was very well-kept. The staff was polite and friendly. It was a pleasant experience, but we found another community that was close for us to travel too.

Memory Care

Appears to be a top notch facility. My mother is set to move in next week, and so far every staff member that we've encountered has been professional, patient, and kind. The residents we've observed appear to be well-cared for and engaged in activities. Hoping that my mother's experience there will live up to my expectations.

Love This Community

I really love this community, and my mother is doing very well. Everything has worked out very well, and I'm pleased with all they done have for our family. This is a very nice community, and they are taking good care of my mother and her needs.

A robot kind of place!

I got to take a tour at this community. This is a fairly new community and very pretty. The only thing that bothered me was that the guy that gave us the tour seemed like he was a robot and reading a script. The place just did not have that homely feeling to it. The community does offer activities and they have a restaurant on the property.

If it's time, no better place

The staff at the Landing of Poughkeepsie were knowledgeable, and most important understanding. The facilities in the Memory Enhancement unit were well laid out, secure and inviting. Again the staff was friendly and handled patients firmly but with concern and understanding.

Not impressed with tour!

The Landing was kept very nice and clean. I didn't enjoy the tour staff they were very pushy about making the sale and at times did not listen to our needs. The staff was knowledgeable and addressed most of my concerns. I had the opportunity to try a snack at the community and it was good.

Kate Vance

Thanks for visiting our community! I'm sorry to learn that our tour experience didn't meet your expectations - if you'd like to talk more, please send me an email me at [removed]. I appreciate your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed our signature item.

I made a $3,500 deposit to hold a room for my mom on June 3rd , but we asked for our guaranteed refund on June 6th. It is currently July 11th and I can't get anyone to return my calls or get my refund sent to me. This is not a good sign!

Kate Vance

Hi, Eileen. Thanks for reaching out to us with your concerns. I've sent you an email regarding your refund status and you can expect a call if you haven't already. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Beautiful facility, really lacking in care. Infection control is poor leading to residents being in 6 week lockdown in their rooms. Expensive but not worth the cost. Nursing staff is underskilled and not very observant.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns. I'd like to discuss your experience further so I can help. Can you email me at [removed]?

911 Calls to The Landing of Poughkeepsie

I live close to the Landing of Poughkeepsie and watched with interest as it was constructed. It appears to be a beautiful facility. I am wondering however why there are so many calls to 911 to dispatch the Arlington Fire Department to transport residents to the hospital after a fall. Last night (May 28, 2016) there was a call for the AFD to respond for a lift assist. Lift assist? Isn't there sufficient staff and equipment in the facility to handle a lift assist? Lift assist is generally necessary where one lives alone or family members do not have the strength to lift. I do not think the application of stars apply to this comment. I am questioning the facility's policies. I personally am closing in on the need for such care in the not too distant future.

A lot of money for a fancy hotel stay - no real care here

Beautiful but unsafe! My mother is currently waiting to move out of this facility. The medical and personal care is HORRIBLE, verging on neglect. Every time I show up, my mother is unkempt, wearing dirty clothing and her medical conditions are widely ignored. The building was put on lockdown for almost 6 weeks because of an uncontrolled virus. The residents could not leave their rooms for almost 6 weeks. It was a $5,000 a month prison for elders. My mother contracted a serious case of pink eye to the point where her eyes were nearly swollen shut and she had green and yellow goo coming out of her eyes. This was not noticed by any of the staff, despite the fact that she gets meds twice a day. I took her to Urgent Care - the doctor called The Landing to order the meds and she was assured that they could get it (and I quote) STAT. When I got my mother back, it wasn't there. So, I asked what STAT meant. I was reassured she would have it in a couple of hours. Nobody asked her to wash her highly infectious hands - they just let her go to the dining room. I called my mother at 10:30 this morning - no meds had been administered. Now my mother is crying on the phone. She tells me they haven't given her any treatment yet. I call the nursing station, they say they will check and call back. I didn't get a call back for 30 minutes - because they ran upstairs to administer the med and then call me so they could say it was already administered. Can't get her out fast enough! Also - she is constantly covered with bruises. It looks like she is taking falls. The nurse manager assured me that it was just that my mother was walking into stuff. Don't you think I would like to know that? Maybe we would like to know why she is walking into stuff?? Amazing lack of care.

Kate Vance

Your experience is important to me and I'd like to work with you quickly and directly to resolve your frustrations and concerns. Please connect with me at [removed] so I can help.

Was concerned about the breakout of a GI illness and the need for Mom to be sequestered to her room for so many days/weeks. I do however understand the need for this and respect the staffs desire to keep it contained, but it did cause stress on all residents (and I'm sure the staff too).

This has since passed and back to normal. Hoping it stays that way... Thank you

Kate Vance

You’re right, it can be stressful when our residents are ill, but I appreciate your understanding how important proactive and preventative measure can be. I welcome you to share more feedback with me at [removed].

Friendly, welcoming staff

Overall our exeperience with The Landing of Poughkeepsie has been a good one! It's a beautiful place, they've got a lot of activities, the people are friendly, and they've got a really great person that helps new residents get engaged with the community! My only complaint is that I think the sign-up and onboarding process could flow a little better, there were a few confusing situations I had to deal with.

Need a System for Rejection.

My wife was refusing to leave her room to go get something to eat. I had to go everyday for her to eat. The people tried to get her to eat, they really seem to know what to do about her eating. There were times when my wife had not eaten for days, they really tried but, it was stressful for me. They really need to come up with a system for rejection.

Kate Vance

Thanks for your comments. I’ve shared them with our leadership team, and we will work to improve your wife’s appetite. If you have anything else you’d like contribute, I welcome you to reach us directly at [removed].

Happy With The Facility Overall

I think that they did a real good job on trying to make my loved ones feel comfortable and making the transition easy. I think The Landing is still in transition themselves, like trying to get the restaurant up and running and things like that. In general they are happy with the way things are though, there is just still a learning curve.

Located only minutes from downtown, just two miles from Vassar Farm and Ecological Preserve, The Landing of Poughkeepsie is a new assisted living community for Dutchess County’s active older adults.

Our thoughtfully designed residence offers discreet, 24-hour assistance with day-to-day care needs, as well as innovative memory care for seniors living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia – all backed by the industry-leading quality standards of Atria Senior Living.

Enjoy amenities like multiple gourmet dining venues, a salon and barber shop and wellness center. Meet friends for a matinee at the theater or gather with neighbors for happy hour on the patio. Join outings to local shops and restaurants – and attractions like the Bardavon Opera House.