Set in the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Riverside Park, Atria West 86 is a senior living community where older adults can enjoy the exciting, sophisticated, metropolitan lifestyle they're accustomed to, in the cultural heart of the city.

Every detail of our community has been thoughtfully considered to appeal to the sensibilities of seasoned New Yorkers. With stately pre-war architecture, elegant dining venues, chauffeur service, a penthouse salon and fitness center - and a rooftop terrace offering spectacular 360-degree-panorama views of the city - Atria West 86 is a place to experience New York the way it was meant to be.

Care and Comfort

I was happy with the care that we received here. The staff was nice and caring. He was happy with the menu and the variety they offered. They have activities for the residents that want to participate. We would recommend that families tour this community for the nice care and good value for a loved one.

Mom is Doing Much Better

This is a great community, and my mother is doing very much better since her move here. She has a friend in the community, and they happen to have a room available on the same floor. Everything is working out very well, and I'am very pleased with all they have done for us. The staff is responsive, and very kind. This is a community I would recommend.

Care for my sister

This is a nice community for care. The staff is nice and attentive to the needs of the residents. We have found the meals to be very good. My sister is happy with the activities that are offered. We would recommend this community to other families for care and value.

On a beautiful cruise!

The staff was good at this community. The food was good as far as I could see. This place is terrific and I really enjoy working with the people here. This place is like a cruise ship with all the options that they provide. My loved one really likes it here. This place is better for people that still can do for themselves.

Offers most options for easy admissions w/assessment done @ rehab or hospital vs on-site at Atria. $1k off monthly rent through 2016 & rate lock make one-time non-refundable 1/2 month's rent requirement more palatable. FURNISHED w/more daily services than other facilities ("basically a hotel for elders providing daily room cleaning & fresh linens"); 3 restaurants on-site from which to choose for dining w/no set seating times. "Respite" option provides 30-day residency where one-time non-refundable 1/2 mo. rent amount is waived.

I think Atria is wonderful.

I think Atria is wonderful. We have been really happy with it. So far things have worked out really well.

Nice place, but not the best fit for us

I think they do a good job at Atria West Side, however it didn't end up being a great match for my loved ones needs. It's a very clean, attractive, upbeat feeling facility, and the staff is helpful and responsive. Any questions or maintenance issues we'd bring up with them would get resolved immediately! They also have a great variety of services, activities, trips, and things of that nature. All that being said I think this facility is probably more suited for those without many serious care needs. Their med service wasn't as reliable as I had hoped, and they had some odd rules like wheelchairs not being allowed in the dining room that made things difficult for my loved one. It's a very nice place, but also very expensive.

Kate Vance

Hi, thanks for visiting our community. We welcome residents of all ages and ability levels. If you have questions about our programs, I welcome you to reach me directly at [removed].

I want to live here

This community is stunning - the residents are active and happy, and they have restaurants with fine dining. I want to live here when I retire!

Activities are phenomenal staffing is very friendly

We are very happy with the services they have provided and the staffing is very friendly ad smart the food is terrific very varied, the culture activities are phenomenal they keep busy intellectually. They offer movies and lectures and classes so it definitely suits our needs.

Their demographic seemed like a better fit for my loved one.

Their demographic seemed like a better fit for my loved one. Due to location though, they were quite a bit more expensive than the Atria we ended up going with. If it hadn't been so expensive, this might have been a better fit.

I think it's fantastic.

I think it's fantastic. The food is adequate. The elevators get do get pretty crowded at meal times. Perhaps they could not reserve the elevators out at meal times, or stagger the seating so less people are going at once. They seat people where they are able to meet others, and that is nice. We thought the apartments were very nice, and the staff seem excellent in terms of the number of people on staff, as well as how good they are. They have a lot of facilities, activities, and amenities, including a 24 hour snack bar. Care solutions are very flexible, it's nice to know if the need should arise.

wish it was more diverse economically and racially

At West 86, an Atria Residence I think the activities and the model for socialization are excellent. It is a great place for residents that are engaged. The location is excellent. The staff has been great. I wish it was more diverse economically and racially. My mom has loved her stay at this facility.

My sister visited and overall she said it was very impressive. The residents and their families that were there when she toured all were happy and enjoying themsleves. Lots of activities

very impressed with this facility.

very impressive. I arrived in the afternoon & found the residents sitting at tables in the lobby & at the cafe chatting & certainly seemed animated. Diana was very knowledgeable. The rooms were adequate, but dark. The available 1 bedroom was ok, but the living room had 1 window facing a brick building & the bathroom was extraordinarily small, a closet. We reserved the room & are on wait list for a better one. There are a lot of activities & outings geared toward the independent resident. Any assistance is extra. Good vibe as soon as I walked in, price is the downside.

We did not have a good experience wit...

We did not have a good experience with West 86. The facility is pretty clean, but the staff is not great. As far as the care provided, it was mediocre.

Kate Vance

We take feedback from our families very seriously and are sorry you did not have a great experience with us. If you are willing, we would love to connect with you to hear more about how you feel we can improve. Please feel free to reach out via [removed] if we can be of further service to your family. We wish you the best.

I really liked this Atria!

I really liked this Atria! They don't take people with the tendency to wander here. It's a security issue. We really wanted to be here, but ended up at a different Atria, which is going really well also.

Take it from someone who has a loved one living there. It looks great on a tour. Looks can be deceiving.

First of all I believe we were told anything we wanted to hear just to get us to put our family member there. Three other facilities told us that my father-in-law would require home health aides for two twelve hour shifts. The Atria at 86th Street told us that they deal with situations like my father-in-law all the time and this would not be necessary. We wanted to believe them. My father-in-law moved in and within a week we were told that he needed home health aides for two twelve hour shifts. On top of the $8000 a month to live in the building we are now paying an additional $8000 for the aides. Because my father-in-law is unable to be alone at all he can not go to the main dining room, where they do not allow home health aides to stay. He can only go to one place to eat and the menu is the same every day with the exception of one special to chose from. The dining room has a new menu each day. Paying $8000/month and he is not able to eat the food they raved about when we were deciding where he would reside. We were never told any of this prior to him moving in. We were also told he could spend the rest of his life here. Now we are told that if he is not ambulatory he has to move out. My father-in-law has Alzheimer's and each move is difficult and leads to more confusion and deterioration, aside from the added expense of another move. We have tried to address these issues but my sister-in-law called everyday for a week, leaving messages, and got no response. I called four times in one week, leaving messages and went to the building and left a hand written note for the social worker and still got no response. If you look at the reviews, a number of the bad reviews are from people who lived there or had a family member living there. A lot of the good reviews are from people who have just toured. You don't know anything about this place just by looking at the fancy building and listening to the hype. We needed a fill in home health aide on a holiday, which the Atria provided without giving him any information about my father-in-law. He fell twice in one day! My rating tells the story, the place is clean, with a lot of activities but for this type of money that you can not even get a response is ludicrous. We are close by so that one of us goes by multiple times a week but I can only imagine if we didn't live by and had to rely on communication from the staff to see if our loved one was okay. The decision to place my father-in-law at the Atria 86th Street has made an extremely difficult time exponentially more difficult. We regret it every day and they continue to give us new reasons to regret it each new day.

Kate Vance

I am so sorry to hear of your family’s experience at our community. We are looking forward to meeting with you this week so that we may fully understand your situation and offer any help we can in coming to a resolution. If you feel we can be of help to you before then, please feel free to email us directly at [removed] and if you would kindly include “Atria West 86” in your subject line, we can quickly include the appropriate people in the correspondence. We are here to help.

My sister saw it and fell in love with it.

My sister saw it and fell in love with it. It’s a bit expensive. On top of the rent there is a level of care charge. This should be included in the informational packet that is sent to families. It’s not very nice to find out about large charges by surprise.

Kate Vance

We are so glad your sister fell in love with our community and we welcome your family to Atria! When sending information packets to families, it is our practice to include all rate sheets and I apologize if your package did not include one for care services. Should you need any additional information or feel we can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us at [removed], including “Atria West 86” in your subject line so we can quickly include the appropriate people in the correspondence. We are always here to help.

Too expensive for what you ...

Too expensive for what you get. Want to bring dad back there to meet 101-year-old Lily, however!

Atria West 86th Street NYC

My Dad lived there for about a year. While he was completely independent, it was nice to know that assistance was there if he needed it. The staff was the best part of Atria. I spent a good deal of time there while visiting my Dad and I got a sense of how challenging their jobs can be and, despite that, they were patient and caring. They had some great activites and outings that were well planned and diverse. It is in the city and in an older building, so you have to have some patience with thngs like the elevator and space in general. But, if you are looking for a facilty in the city, I would recommend that you consider Atria.

Atria New York

I had a terrible experience at the Atria and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They aren't regulated by state or local governments. The primary goal is access to money. I have multiple sclerosis. Management, nor medical staff knew how to handle this condition.The facility wasn't set up for a fragile population. The physical structure wasn't remodeled to handle the problems of the elderly or disabled. My friend was denied access to mental health services.

Kate Vance

: I appreciate your feedback on our community and I apologize for your negative experience. Our community provides various levels of care. However, when a resident exceeds the highest level of care that we provide, we meet with the family as they consider their options. As much it saddens us when one of our residents has to relocate, we understand that it is in their best interest when we cannot safely care for their needs. If you would be willing to share further details about the issues you mentioned, we would like to discuss the situation more with you personally. Please email [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line.

They've been great.

They've been great. I think it's kind of like the extra charges come on easily. If there is anything that isn't great it's the beurocratic communication with the logistical stuff, but they have been great. My mother really likes it there. They offer a lot of activies. The care is excellent. The food is pretty good. They are trying hard on that. It's a real new york place it has a great new york feel. It's in a beautiful location right next to the river that gives it a lovely feel.

MY Aunt at Atria 86th Street

My aunt has been a resident at 86th Street for almost two years now. She came from living by herself in a large private home and was very worried about making the change to a small apartment and living in a hotel type of setting. She adjusted very well and enjoys the company of others and the great social program activities ([removed] music, lectures, Jewish Culture etc.) available to her on a daily basis.
We the family love the staff that seem so nice and caring. WE all feel good knowing that our Aunt is cared for in a safe, clean and nurturing environment with great activities. We can all sleep better because of Atria 86.

A place for mom and dad

Toured this place for my parents who are currently living in Connecticut. I thought this was a great building with great amenities. My parents would be able to have access to the great offerings of NYC and have a thriving community within the building. Food looked great and everyone raved about their daily activities.

Fantastic!

Toured the building and was very impressed. Great facilities, all the residents seemed to be thrilled about all the activities and amenities available to them. In a fabulous location and overall a great place.

A satisfied resident

I am pleased to contribute this review. Atria is an excellent establishment for folks who require Assisted Living. The central location to all that NYC offers is a strong advantage - both culturally and in terms of parks and nature. Staff is top drawer in attentiveness and spirit. The food is carefully prepared and flovorful.

Enjoyable & age appropriate activities

Atria at 86th street in NYC has enjoyable and age appropriate cultural activities- especially the music/ concerts, seasonal American and Jewish holiday special events, and other entertainment programs. When I visit my relative at Atria, she and many other residents really seem to be enjoying the activities. I feel good knowing that she is in a caring and safe environment with opportunities to interact with others and participate in a variety of programs.

$5950/month studio. Fancy. ...

$5950/month studio. Fancy. Incl. 3 meals, full housekeeping, transport to doctors, electricity, exc. cable and phone. First month 2x/rent. Med management additional fee. Private pay. Accept LTC or private pay, but not Medicaid.

Incredible

I have an in-law that is currently a resident at Atria West 86. She is extremely satisfied with her stay at the building. She constantly raves about the wonderful activities and events that the building staff organizes. The building is extraordinarily nice and clean, and is at an incredible, central location of the city. Food isn't bad either!

Great Facility

While I was on the premises I got to witness some terrific activities. They were creative, inventive and extremely welcoming. It seemed they had programming geared to many abilities and interests. The food smelled great too!!

Great

The building is fantastic! Gorgeous location and friendly staff. The residents seem to be very enthusiastic and enjoy all the amenities available to them here. All the activities are great! Definitely would recommend

recent visitor

Found the facility to be better then expected. Felt it would be stimilating experience due to proximity to nyc cultural events and the activities offered. Staff was friendly and caring. Food in the grill was great.

Wonderful activities

I had the opportunity to visit this site on the charming upper west side of Manhattan. It is a beautiful facility, very nicely appointed and impeccably clean. They have an elegant library/sitting room, a café and a salon with a baby grand piano, befitting a New York establishment. But what was most impressive were the cultural [removed] a piano player playing old standards (with a sing-along), interesting current events presentation/discussion, and what looked like really creative art classes. All of these activities seemed very sophisticated and of a very high caliber. I wouldn't hesitate bringing my elderly relatives to Atria Wet 86.

THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THE ATRIA I...

THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THE ATRIA IS A LOVELY RESIDENCE IN AN INCREDIBLE AREA. THAT BEING SAID, I WAS UNNERVED BY THE RESIDENTS , ACTUALLY DEPRESSED. WHILE I AM 71 I DON'T FEEL IT THE PEOPLE I OBSERVED WERE ALL VERY ELDERLY, FRAIL,IT FELT LIKE A NURSING HOME. I WAS HOPING FOR AN ACTIVE ADULT COMMUNITY WITH SUPPORT IF NEEDED, BUT ACCEPTING INSURANCE....

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your previous feedback on our community. I’m very sorry that you were not able to meet our most active residents when you last visited. I can assure you that we plan many engaging events, activities, and adventures that our residents find enriching and exciting. And we always welcome suggestions from those who chose to live with us and their families as we arrange new activities. I hope that you will consider visiting us again soon and perhaps joining us for one of our events. We are happy to send you a calendar any time, and I encourage you to contact us with any questions at [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line.

A beautiful facility.

A beautiful facility.

LT/ Best cultire + surroundings. near...

LT/ Best cultire + surroundings. nearto cultural activities

He is leaning toward this facility, b...

He is leaning toward this facility, but he hasn't made up his mind.

I took the tour. Extremely impressiv...

I took the tour. Extremely impressive. It's my choice.