Atria Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach, VA

I Had A Nice Tour of This Community

I toured this community for my parents, and their needs. My tour was a good one, everything went well. There were many factors that played into where to move my parents to for their needs. This is a nice community, but I did not feel it was the right one for us.

I Like the Appearance of the Community

It's been fine for my mom who became a resident of this community. We picked them mostly because I liked the appearance of the place and it is very close for us to visit here. The sale representative and director were friendly and open, still to this day. My mom enjoys the meals and activities that are made and planned for everyone. I would recommend this community to others in need.

I'm liking it very much. I would score them a five out of five! It's a great place!

The staff was so helpful and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Probably not going to choose only because I believe my friend is in need of more physical assistance than provided.

Nice Tour of This Community

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everything went very well, and everyone was very kind. The community looked good, everything looked neat and tidy. The staff was nice and friendly. The experience was a nice one. I enjoyed it. They were very kind to my family and myself.

Fantastic!

This was a super beautiful place and very fantastic. My daughter actually works here and the staff is great. I loved everything about this community. The only reason why we did not go here is because they were just to expensive.

We are satisfied with this community!!

The caregivers are very attentive and professional. The food is excellent. They have a dedicated housekeeper for the memory care unit so it is always clean. The activities are good. We like the general atmosphere of this community as the staff are professional and attentive to the families concerns.

Happiness and peace of mind.

Thank you so much to not only A Place for Mom but also the Atria Virginia Beach. My Father-in-Law had lived with us for the past 15 years and after a sudden illness required assisted living. I sent an e-mail to A Place for Mom and they immediately send me a list of several facilities in our area. My husband and I toured four and the Atria Virginia Beach was by far the best. We were unsure how my Father-in-Law would react and I am happy to report that he loves the place and on the first night was making a friend at dinner. Everyone has been so kind and helpful that I just can't say enough to portray the relief and happiness my husband and I feel knowing my Father-in-Law is in a clean, safe, and beautiful place.

Services and care have steadily declined.

Read the Sept. 2013 review. Deja vu. My parents have been at Atria over 3 years and the care, services and competence have steadily declined. We have seen 3 different directors, many different resident care managers and frequent staff turnover. The executive director position has been empty for a couple of weeks. The staff/resident ration seems to have declined every year. I have spoken with both local care coordinators and Atria corporate about issues, specifically not feeling they are getting the level of service that we are being charged for (Level 4). I've been told 'the new care plan requires the aides to put eyes on them every 2 hours'. The level of attention did not change at all. A family friend once complained to the aides that my father needed a little hygiene assistance and was told "we cannot give personal care to everyone". It is a beautiful facility, kept sufficiently clean, and there are some warm, caring staff. However there is a lot of turnover. Many of the aides are young, not well trained and lack the kind of spark that generates compassionate elder care. I am now looking at other facilities for my parents.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out to share your concerns, as we depend on this type of feedback to drive improvements. Each of our communities undergoes a detailed quality enhancement review at least once a year to assess a number of performance categories, including care. I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel your concerns have been adequately addressed – would you mind sending me an email at [removed] to discuss, and see what we might be able to do to help?

If you love someone, do nt put them in Atria

Atria is a nightmare. Mother there four years. Place has deteriorated badly. Room cleanliness pitiful, food quality poor. Staff will watch your loved one suffer. Promised annual assessments not conducted. Mother deteriorated badly with no communication from the staff. When bathing became an issue no assistance provided, she literally stank. Management in constant flux, 5 managers in 4 years. Assistance provided was so minimal that an outside company had to be brought in to help her. Begged for assessment and an increase in the level of assistance. I was ignored.

Kate Vance

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. The circumstances you describe are certainly concerning and deserve further exploration and discussion – would you mind to email me at [removed] so we can connect directly?

some staff members was not nice

I did not participate in any activities, I was only there for therapy so I can't rate that. Some of the care was not very nice.

Katy Miller

I’m sorry to hear that. If you could tell me more I can certainly help. Please contact me at [removed].

Seemed like a nice place, not a good fit for us

I thought Atria Virginia Beach seemed like a nice place, overall. Unfortunately it did not end up being a good match in terms of care for what my loved one needed, but for someone at the appropriate level of care it would be a nice place. The facility was clean and well kept, and the staff seemed friendly and attentive.

worst place I have ever experienced

Atria Virginia Beach it is the worst place I have ever experienced. I am so upset with them. My aunt was only there 9 days and it cost $30,000. They misrepresented the amount of care they were going to give her. The would not feed her. I have not seen such poor care in my life. It is horrible. The hospice team were under the impression that this facility was going to be able to give her the care she needed also. She fell and they took her to the hospital and when they took her back to the facility she had not been changed all day. Well my husband told the staff here that she was incontinent and needed change. The lady looked at him like he was crazy and expected him to change her. Considering we moved there under false pretenses we should get some of our money back. I am extremely dissatisfied with the experience here.

Katy Miller

Your satisfaction is important to us. We’d like to work this out directly – please reach us at [removed].

Very nice looking place!

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. This was a very nice looking place, it was like a country club! The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. However, I don't think the fancy country club atmosphere would have been the best fit for Dad, and it was also one of the more expensive options we saw. Overall it seems like a nice place, and is definitely worth a look!

Nice place, overall

Atria Virginia Beach is a nice place, overall. The community has a friendly, social feel, and the staff are friendly and attentive. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and they also do a very good job with the food. They don't offer as much as we would like in terms of care, but my loved one really does seem to enjoy it here.

Would not recommend

I toured this community while looking into memory care options for a loved one. Based on what I saw on my tour I wouldn't recommend this place. The management was unfriendly and unhelpful, and the care staff did not seemed trained or interested enough to handle residents with dementia issues.

Kate Vance

Thank you for visiting Atria Virginia Beach. Valuable feedback from our guests helps us improve the services we provide, and we'll be sure to use your suggestions to improve our tour experience moving forward. If you'd like to share more with us about your visit, please reach out to us at [removed].

The communication between the staff and family is not as good as we would hope.

The cleanliness is very, very good. The staff is friendly. When you talk to them about the way we would like things done, they don't respond to that, or put them into action. They just do not return phone calls, either. The communication between the staff and family is not as good as we would hope. They are pretty responsive to the residents, though which is good. I haven't had any complaints about the food, and they did a good job with the activities, having a pretty good variety of activities.

Kate Vance

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you’ve experienced a variety of our daily activities and have enjoyed our menu, although I am sorry to hear that there have been communication challenges with our staff. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors but we encourage you to reach out to us directly to discuss your situation in further detail. While the residents are our main focus, we also hold the relationships we have with the families in high regard. If you are willing, please email us directly at [removed] and if you include “Atria Virginia Beach” in the subject line, we can quickly include the right people in the correspondence. We are here to help.

Good if you are fine, but if you need any help it's not good at all.

If you're family member has serious Alzheimers, this is not the place. They like a very nice looking and be able to eat properly. They seeemed to want everyting prim and proper and if you can sit down and watch the movies then you are fine. If you are not interested in the television, and are up and walking around then there is a problem. They do not do medicines as needed, if you cannot feed yourself they will not keep you. If you are in need of two people to move your loved one from the bed to the chair, they just don't do that, they need you to be very mobile and pretty much ok. They were not meeting his needs physically and even just basically. They would get upset because he did not do what they wanted which was to sit down and eat and watch tv they don't know what to do. We went because they had a smaller number of people. Some of the staff in my opinion either didn't know what to do with an advanced Alzheimers patient, or they just were not trained that well. There were two or three caregivers that were helpful and good with them. The overall directorship of the Atria was not good at all. They were not on top of it, they had a change of a director in the Alzheimers and there was a tremendous turnover, five in five years. The director there would smile but then felt like they were going to stab you in the back. It's a beautiful facility and it is such a shame. If somebody asked me I would not go there. If you want a real fancy assisted living place and you are fine, then it's lovely, but if you have an illness and your Alzheimers is very advanced then this is not the place for you. He had a few injuries that nobody even knew how they happened.

Kate Vance

My sincerest apologies if there has been any confusion in the level of care needed by your loved one. It can be very upsetting when a resident exceeds the level of care we provide and we do our best to work with the family while they consider their options. While there has been some transition in our community, it is always in the best interest of those we serve. I encourage you to contact us at [removed] so that we may address your concerns with you personally. We strive to constantly improve upon the services we provide our residents and relationships with those who love them most.

Nice looking place

We looked into this community when we were searching for care options for a loved one. It was a nice looking place, and the staff all seemed friendly. However, we were looking for a larger community for our loved one, and didn't feel like this would have been the best fit.

a place for all

I recently helped a beloved family member who is living with dementia move to the Atria Virginia Beach. All of the staff helped with getting her settled. They have been exceptionally caring and patient. Any questions that have come up are answered quickly and if there is no answer they work with family members to find a solution that everyone can be comfortable with.

Things went downhill

My father was here for several years and over the years it got worse and worse and worse. They were having major issues with their director, she was finally told to leave and by the time I left, there were 50 some people who had left too. I was up there everyday and it was so bad that it sent me into a depression. All the good staff left and they brought in all these young people who didn't care anymore and didn't know what they were doing. They were supposed to go to their doors and get them to activities and they didn't do that. The chef would quit, in one year we had 3 head nurses, they just couldn't keep staff because the director would run the good people off. My complaint was the same as everybody else and things must not be improving because a lady there just moved her mother out. I'm curious about what's going on so I will be back there to check it out.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. Atria has long been a leader in senior living with high standards and expectations. Recently, a new executive director and management team have brought new life to our community and their extensive credentials and experience match well with Atria's values. We have already made many positive changes to our community. Our residents are provided a daily schedule of activities delivered to their door each morning. Residents are active in their community and our events are well attended. Residents and family members report that “the food is as good as any restaurant in Virginia Beach” and we see many family members coming to enjoy meals with the residents. Positive relationships are being established between our staff and our residents and their families and we are receiving great feedback as we strive for customer satisfaction is all areas. I encourage you to visit us again soon so that you can and see the changes for yourself. If we can answer any questions or be of further assistance, please contact us at [removed] and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line.

very nice place. not many places to ...

very nice place. not many places to walk, though, except on their grounds which are nice. Good cookies!

LaDawn K.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your visit with us a while back. I’m glad to hear that you found our community to be pleasant, and I wanted to let you know that in addition to the walking path on our property (and a walking club), we also have fitness classes each day of the week to help our residents stay active. If we can ever be of assistance to you, please call us at [removed] or email [removed] (please include the Atria community name in your subject line). And we welcome you to drop by anytime!

Absolutely beautiful facility. Nice ...

Absolutely beautiful facility. Nice kitchen area, full size refrigerators, excellent lighting, staff extremely pleasant. On the top of our list right now.

GREAT facility and the administrator ...

GREAT facility and the administrator is WONDERFUL! However, dad has decided to remain in home with a caregiver at this time.

Toured the facility. The executive s...

Toured the facility. The executive staff was very reassuring when it came to communication with families. The facility itself was very nice, clean and "homey" The location is good, near the hospital and medical complexes and close to my home.

Very nice.

Very nice.

Located in the heart of Virginia Beach—one of America's premier resort towns—Atria Virginia Beach is a welcoming community with all the comforts of home. Stay active through a diverse social calendar that includes exercise classes, book discussions and educational seminars. Atria Virginia Beach is near shops, restaurants, hospitals and, of course, beaches.