Atria Grand Oaks - Thousand Oaks, CA

Atria Grand Oaks

Atria Grand Oaks has been a good experience overall for me. There are some issues with the dining staff. They’re short staffed, so it often takes a long time to get our food, but overall, the staff has been fantastic. They are very helpful and caring. The director is excellent. She is definitely in the right position and she has all the personality she needs. She is certainly extremely helpful and very well liked among the residents. I’d recommend the community to others.

Settling In Nice

My In-Law loves the community she moved into. She is happy and doing great here. I can see that she is enjoy it and she is settling in beautifully.

Very nice community and staff, just a little pricey for us to afford.

Helpful Staff!!

I recently had taken a tour of this community for my father and I have no complaints of how things had went for him while he was there. They had a great menu for all of the residents as well as a spacious dinning and common areas for family. I liked the activity program they had to keep them involved and busy throughout the week. Overall it was a great place just no the right fit for my dad in the end decision.

Very nice place!!

I am very happy I had chosen this place for my loved one to live at. It is a very nice place and always very well maintained. The staff also have been a huge help with making the best out of her health situation and making her as comfortable as possible. They have also been very good at making sure she stays bathed and has good hygiene which is very important to me. Overall I have no complaints and am pleased.

We Like It

I am happy with the care that my parents get from here. The community has good care and I feel that they are safe too. My dad enjoys the activities offered and my mom gets all the accommodations to make her feel comfortable. The food seems tasty and it is properly cooked. The staff are helpful and nice. I would recommend this community.

Toured this facility. The staff seemed very nice and attentive. The dementia unit was clean and the rooms are nice size. Their dining area was a bit small and not as nice as the main dining room. I did not see a specific dementia program in session. Most of the patients were watching TV, waiting for dinner in an hour. I have not had loved ones here so I do not know it personally. I just toured.

We enjoyed our visit here, but we are not ready to make a decision at this time.
We were also interested in The Reserve, which you do not list.

very helpful

They have been really very helpful. The staff is really nice and helpful in every way on a daily basis. The food there is very good and my parents really enjoy it. The interior design and decor is very well done and gives the place a very warm welcoming atmosphere. It has been a very positive experience we have had with Atria Grand Oaks and I would highly recommend them.

My experience at Atria Grand Oaks

I visited the Atria Grand Oaks a few weeks ago. I was interested in a residence for my elderly father after my mother passed. I was shown around by Whitney. I didn't feel that she was in-tuned with my fathers needs and interests. I was shown the pool after I expressed that my father doesn't swim. I was invited back for lunch with him but didn't end up revisiting. The community had a cold vintage like feeling. I didn't feel that the programs offered would satisfy dad's interests and the food on the display for lunch was a hot dog that looked bland. He enjoys programs other than bingo and jewelry making. Whitney mentioned a discount and said I should leave a deposit after she informed me that they had many vacancies. I decided to move dad to Hillcrest instead. The atmosphere felt just right and I was impressed by the diverse program offerings and the friendliness and warmth of the staff. They even have a 24 hour cafe which dad loved.

Kate Vance

Thank you for considering our community for your father. I am sorry you did not find Atria Grand Oaks to be a good fit for him but we are thrilled that you found your way to Atria Hillcrest. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors to ensure Atria’s high standards are being met at all of our communities. If you have suggestions for improvement or we can be of further service to your family, please email us directly at [removed] and be sure to include “Atria Grand Oaks” in your subject line so we may quickly include the appropriate people in the correspondence. We are here to help and welcome your family to Atria HIllcrest!

Very friendly staff!

They've done a great job here, we're very pleased with the service. The employees are all very kind, and you just get the overall sense that your loved one is really being looked after. The activities director has been wonderful, as well. They really go out of their way to make sure everyone gets involved in all the things they have going on.

Looked Nice

There wasn't anything wrong with them, it looked really nice, but I bonded with the staff at Atria Hillcrest better. The building was lovely.

Pay or move by 5pm

I wish to share our experience with Evan Granucci, Executive Director at Atria Grand Oaks. I called him to find out if we could move Mom’s belongings on Saturday the 2nd of November as we both work during the week and Mom had just passed away on the 30th. We are also making the many arrangements that needed to be made when a family member passes. Mom was paid up to the 31st of October. Evan told us he would charge us two more days rent if we did not move her belongings by “close of day” Friday the 1st of November. We are hurt and stunned by his cold and over the top attitude. He treated us this way he will treat your families the same when it’s their time to move your things. I urge you to share your feelings with him and the management that writes his paycheck. In our opinion he should not receive another one from Atria. We had to stumble around in the dark in the back of the building to get Mom’s things loaded in a van. She has paid close to $250,000 to Grand Oaks for a small apartment that had a dangerous bump in the carpet that she tripped on and was never fixed. Both sinks we found had been leaking water for many months. Please check yours. And in return for never missing a rent payment Evan made the career choice to insult our Mother and her family. Don’t let him treat your families the way he did ours. Thank you.

LaDawn K.

Your review is very concerning to us, as we were deeply saddened by your mother’s passing. She had been a resident of our community for several years and we have very fond memories of her and will miss her greatly. When you spoke to us just prior to the last day of the month, you asked about the policy on moving your mother’s belongings and were informed that we only charge rent up to the time that personal items are removed from the apartment. When you requested two days free of charge, we were able to offer the first day of the new month without billing for the time the belongings occupied the apartment. In regard to the maintenance issues you mentioned, we are very diligent in taking care of problems and our maintenance team fixes things quickly. Prior to the day you moved your mother’s belongings, we were not aware of the bump in the carpet or any leaky sinks. Once issues are reported, we always make sure to evaluate and make any necessary repairs, as the safety of our residents is very important to us. We are always available to discuss your concerns further. Please contact us at [removed] or [removed] (please include the Atria community name in your subject line).

Real Impressed

It's very clean and they're very friendly. I think it's a good value. The care is good and they have lots of activities. They have bridge and movie night every night. They have bingo and brain activities for those with memory problems. They have aqua aerobics and those are just some of the activities. We're just real impressed with them.

Second Choice

This was my second choice. The only reason I didn't go with Grand Oaks is because there were only five residents in their memory care and the were all so far gone that they were basically asleep in wheelchairs, drooling all over themselves the whole time. My mom has Alzheimers but she is only 68 and I thought she would better time with a larger group of people - that there would be an age range and more activity.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you did not experience our Life Guidance memory care neighborhood as it is currently. We are happy to have welcomed new residents into that area, and we now offer over 200 events and activities each month to help keep our residents active and engaged. We would love for you to visit us again and are always happy to answer any questions you may have. We can be reached at [removed], or you can email [removed] (please include the Atria community name in your subject line).

Excellen staff, nice atmosphere, good food

Have been impressed with the facility overall. Very good staff.

New to memory care

This review is strictly on the memory care unit. They just started providing memory care in December. They seem to be learning as they go and are really trying to improve. However they do not seem like they were ready to provide this type of care and seem to lack in several areas. They were able to market the memory care unit very well but are not able to execute as well as they market. The care givers seem to not have the proper training in dealing with Alzheimer. During holiday weekends there seemed to be no body around that had management authority. The community just seems to not be ready for memory care. They are making an effort to get better and provide what they were offering. If your loved one is physically capable of doing everything and is other wise healthy then this community seems like it would be a good fit. If your loved one needs medical assistances and memory care that might be too much for them for the time being.

LaDawn K.

We appreciate your feedback on our community and I wanted to provide you with an update on our memory care neighborhood. We have made great strides in the areas of staff training and development, and we are well organized and equipped to care for our residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. I hope that you will consider visiting us again so that you can evaluate the environment for yourself. If we can answer any questions, please call us at [removed] or email [removed] (please include the Atria community name in your subject line).

This was a wonderful place!...

This was a wonderful place! It has lovely large two bedroom apartments (around $7000 for both of you)with patios and nice views. There is a waiting list and it might be a year until one is available. The deposit to be placed on the waiting list is $500 and is fully refundable. Their one bedroom was also nice and less expensive of course. I loved everything about this place - heated pool, billiards room, beauty shop, theater, game room for cards and rummycube, etc (I'll bet you could get the train game going!). The ambiance was very 'homey' and warm with a grand piano and electric fireplace, library, area to use computers and internet. They will paint the apt whatever color you wish at no cost if we buy the paint. Laundry facilities are in each apt so you don't have to go to a laundry room. All meals included. Putting green and right across the street from the civic center and near the world botanical gardens. Very cool! I spoke with a man who has lived there over a year and he had only great things to say.

Nestled in the heart of Thousand Oaks, Atria Grand Oaks offers resort-style living in a Tuscanesque village setting for Southern California’s active older adults. Our amenity-rich community offers all the comforts of home – without the burdens of home maintenance. We provide independent and assisted living options, as well as our innovative Life Guidance® memory care program. Located across from the fine restaurants and shops of The Lakes at Thousand Oaks, and near the Civic Arts Plaza, places of worship and Los Robles Regional Medical Center, Atria Grand Oaks makes it easy for residents to stay connected to their local area – or simply relax with friends on the lush grounds of our vibrant community. With more than 200 programs and events each month, you can continue to enjoy your favorite pastimes or pursue new ones.

License #565801876