Atria Forest Lake - Columbia, SC

This place is at the top of my list. It is a nice friendly clean place. The staff is just wonderful. I would feel very comfortable with my mother-in-law living here. As of right now, we are still deciding on what to do. A very difficult decision that we will be making.

We looked at Atria as a possible place for my father-in-law to enter as he can no longer live unassisted at home. Our tour was with Alisha Knight. We were extremely impressed with Alisha's warmth, kindness and her obvious knowledge of the facility. We were also impressed with the facility itself. Unfortunately, it was not a suitable place for my father-in-laws current medical/mental state. I would however highly recommend anyone to check it out if you are considering an Assisted Living.

This representative was nice enough to give me a call.She meets me at the hospital but was sorry, but she couldn't accept my wife.

Settling in nicely!

My mom is settling in quite nicely at the Atria Forest Lake. The community is very clean and inviting. The staff is friendly and attentive to her needs. She really enjoys the salads they serve, she says she is gaining weight and I told her that is only because she wins the cookies they serve as rewards at Bingo! There are plenty of activities and her therapist takes her for walks to enjoy the outdoors. We are very satisfied that mom is getting the best care here at Atria Forest Lake.

Not a bad community

This is an older community that they have updated. They do keep it clean and the staff are nice. The food is alright and they do offer some nice amenities. This is an ok community.

To much money!

I was able to take a tour of this community and we really liked it. The people were nice and friendly and they answered all the questions. I would love to send my loved one here, but they are just way to pricey. Also no one ever called me back.

A place for Her

I found A Place for Mom online searching for memory care for a family member. Tamara called me immediately, asked a few questions and the provided me a list of sites for me to visit. Atria was number one on list. I visited three. All were superior but when Marygrace gave me the tour of Atria I knew this was the place for my loved one. It is feels like home, residents look happy and involved in activities. The nursing staff I met has been employed for many years, which says volumes to me. The residents have their own furniture that is familiar to them and area is small, secured with fenced outside activity area like a yard at home. We chose Atria for our family member.

Please find another place

The assisted living facility is great-very well appointed, clean and lots of activities.
The memory care unit is the exact opposite. Although the director of the unit is wonderful they seem to be understaffed and often not aware of the residents needs.
Many family members have safety concerns which are explained by the higher ups as "not allowed by state regulations".

Kate Vance

I appreciate you reaching out to us with your concerns. I'd like to learn more about your experience so I can help. Would you mind emailing me at [removed]? Then I can gain a better understanding of the circumstances and share this information with those who are best positioned to address the matter.

BEWARE

I would not put your loved one in this place. They are understaffed and the management is not helpful at all, they always seem to be hiding in their office. The nurse is not friendly at all. BEWARE!!

Katy Miller

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. Would you mind emailing me at [removed]? That way I can learn more about your experience and share it with those who are best positioned to address these matters.

Why I Like Atria Senior Living in Columbia, SC

Congratulations to Faye, executive director or Atria Senior Living in Columbia, SC, for running such a successful assisted living home. She has assembled a wonderful, caring staff. The meals at Atria are gourmet, and residents' guests are welcome. There are fresh flowers everywhere. The receptionist welcomes you by name, staff members keep you informed, and parties are held monthly for residents and their families. There isn't a day that goes by that there isn't some special activity or program. The apartments are kept clean and you never have to remind anyone that laundry needs to be done. The young woman I am guardian for has blossomed in this atmosphere. I am most grateful to all who have helped her be so content.

When I visited, everyone was happy and helpful. The residents were engaged with the workers and among themselves. Their calendar was packed with parties and classes and it felt like home. I hope I can get my family moved in soon!

Great Care, Activities, and Dining

My parent is residing at Atria. She does not have dementia yet but it became much too difficult to care for her at home. Admittedly, I selfishly chose Atria because of its convenience relative to where I live but it has been the best gamble I have ever made. The care there is outstanding. I sat still and watched while the management team turned over and, with the few bumps I took at the time, you have to remember that patience is a virtue. With the new management team in place everything has greatly improved. Patient care has gone up extremely; activities and entertainment for my mom and others has greatly improved; and the food provided has stepped up in quality and presentation very much. The only complaint my mom has ever had to me is that she wants to move back home. But that can only be expected as a complaint. I can’t provide her the care she needs nor would she really be as happy if she lived at home. She fails to remember all of her good times and all of the friends she has made at Atria. The facility has also undergone many physical improvements in the past 6 months or more. Atria has made outdoor renovations, dining upgrades, and has new furniture throughout. But the biggest renovation is my mother’s smile. She is finally very happy when it comes to where she lives and for the smiles she receives from other residents and the employees as well. Although my mom is very happy I will continue to visit her often so she knows that her family didn’t just get rid of her. I love her dearly and always will. I merely moved her to a better place for her to live. I assure you my mom will always receive the best care I can get for her. Thank you very much Atria for making that possible.

Starve you love ones to DEATH!!!!

When you think you are placing a loved one in a safe and caring place, Atria looks like the place. Don't be fooled by the pretty appearance, Our Mother went there 2 months ago, because she could no longer care for herself. She has good days and bad days. On her bad days, the staff does not check on her, she goes days without a meal because they refuse to bring her a meal. She has lost even more weight. She had surgery and not ONE of the staff came up to check on her when she returned to her room. They do not care. They encourage them to go down to eat in the dining room, but when they can't because they are dizzy, or feel sick, they will NOT bring her a meal. [removed] She won't ask them to bring her anything because one of her simptons is lack of appetite, so they don't care if she eats or not, and [removed]
Also she has been there 2 months and they have only changed her sheets twice.

Katy Miller

Your comments are concerning to us and we’d like to learn more about your mother’s experience. Please contact us directly at [removed].

Run as fast as you can!

We have been extremely disappointed since my loved one entered Atria a few months ago. The facility is terribly understaffed and there are rampant communication problems between management and front line staff. On the surface, it is a beautiful facility but the services our loved one receives has not met up with our expectations. There has been a large turnover in staff and problems point to poor management. Some of the staff are truly caring but that does not compensate for how poorly the facility is run. Do your homework and please please consider other facilities.

Katy Miller

It’s important to us that the services we provide our residents are of the highest quality. We’re sorry to learn that your experience at Atria Forest Lake didn’t meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared with our regional leadership and will help us to enhance the service we provide our Atria family members. If you would like to share more, please reach us at [removed].

A nice community

The staff was very professional. They are dedicated and driven. They are very interested in there job. I am satisfied with the outcome. My loved one is very happy here. My overall rating of this property is 4 stars. It has been pretty good. It's a nice community.

Avoid!

Do not place your loved one here. This use to be a fabulous place but has been getting worse and worse the last 6 months. The entire management staff has turned over in the last 6 months and many positions remain open. The facility is terribly understaffed. Medication dispensing is chronically late and the food service is disorganized with long waits. The advertised resturant style dining is non existent. The same worn out activities occur every week with little participation. There are no weekend activities.
There has been attrition recently among the residents and more will come. Hardly worth the price tag.

understaffed !

Our loved one has been here since mid 2014. They have been terribly understaffed the whole time. Medication dispensing times are sporadic and change from day to day, often outside the requisite 2 hour window required. Food service is slow and disorganized, again I believe this is a staffing issue. The advertised "restaurant style " dining is not really in place. Activities are poorly attended and repetitive. Great location for us, but a terrible value for what we receive. We, like so many others, have had to hire private sitters to ensure proper care and attention for our loved one.

Katy Miller

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We rely on feedback from our families to ensure we are taking measures to continually improve the services we provide our residents. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors and we also encourage you to reach out directly to [email protected], including "Atria Forest Lake" with your contact information so we can connect more quickly. We are here to help!

Wonderful tour, great accommodations, great staff, and a perfect fit for my mother! Hope we can make it all work out!!!

There are many concerns, they are terribly short staffed.

There are many concerns, they are terribly short staffed. The workers are wonderful, but there aren't enough of them. The food has a lot of canned and frozen stuff. I have had to hire extra help on top of what I pay, there just isn't enough help. There has recently been a big transition with the staff.

Kate Vance

Although we have had some transition in our community, we always strive to make changes that are in the best interest of our residents. We welcome you to reach out to us directly to discuss your family members’ needs to make sure we are on the same page with the level of care that is required. Please feel free to email us directly at
[removed] and be sure to include “Atria Forest Lake” in your subject line so we may quickly include the appropriate directors in the correspondence. We are here to help.

They are overall a great place.

They have lot's of activities. It's a great friendly staff, but occasionally you may have to follow up on minor action items. They are overall a great place. They keep it clean and they are comparably priced.

Too far and wouldn't have been a good fit

This was really nice, and I really, really liked the girl who is the sales person there. It was quite a far distance from home and the trip I made I was stuck in traffic so it was frustrating and the fact that one of the rooms that was open was a double room so she would have had a roommate and that didn't seem like a good fit for mom.

LaDawn K.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, despite the traffic issue. I apologize that there were no private memory care apartments available during the time of your visit, but I encourage you to please check back with us soon for an update or to be placed on our waiting list. If we can answer any questions until then, please contact us at [removed], and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line.

A Blessing!

Atria Forest Lake has been a God send! My father lives there and it's beyond what we could have hoped for - a profound blessing. My sisters and I have been able to be daughters again, we've been able to sleep at night again.

My father benefits from being in assisted living. The care here is so consistent across all shifts - something is working very right there. We couldn't have given him what he's getting there. They are caring and professional.

The activities are wonderful. My father is doing things he never got the opportunity to do in his own home. They've drawn him out of his shell.

I couldn't have dreamed three months ago that we would be in such a great place now.

loved this one, but we "dropped by" a...

loved this one, but we "dropped by" and Dad thought it was really big. He would need time to adjust and learn routine. Might be TOO busy for him. Lovely gardens, friendly staff.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your feedback on our community. It sounds like you were pleased with your visit in general, and I would like to assure you that our community is easy to navigate once our residents are acclimated to their surroundings. We know how confusing things can be at first, so we escort our new folks to and from their destination until they feel like they can manage on their own. We offer a full calendar of events and outings, but residents can choose how active they want to be. Some residents like to attend many of the events, and there are others who are very selective about how they choose to spend their time. We welcome your questions at any time. Just email us at [removed] and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line. We also hope you will stop by for another visit with us in the near future.

Lovely home, but the dementia area wa...

Lovely home, but the dementia area was too small and not enough walking area.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you found our community to be pleasant, and I apologize if our Life Guidance memory care neighborhood appeared to be uninviting in any way. I assure you that our residents experience a sense of comfort and familiarity in the spaces we provide. We encourage residents with memory impairments to be physically active, dine with their neighbors and participate in events. I hope you will visit us again soon and ask to see the events calendar for our residents, including our Life Guidance residents. I think you will find our programming very engaging. If you have any questions, please contact us at [removed] and be sure to put the Atria community name in your subject line.

In a beautiful homestead with an expansive Southern-style front porch, you’ll find Atria Forest Lake, a family-style senior community. Enjoy a quiet walk in the courtyard, relax with friends by the fountain, or visit with family in the dayroom. Located in the heart of Forest Acres, Atria Forest Lake is within walking distance of shops, grocery stores, restaurants and theaters.