Antebellum James Burgess - Suwanee, GA

Review of Antebellum James Burgess

My grandmother has been a resident at Antebellum for a year. When she first arrived, she was hesitent to leave her and join the community activities and social events. The caring staff continually encouraged her to join in on the fun, and she is now participating on Bingo and social events and has made some good friends. I enjoy visiting her and am always made to feel welcome. I would highly recommend this community for your loved one!

This is a wonderful facility. We were very closely with the administration here. They are very professional and it’s very obvious that they love what they do and truly care about the residents that live there and employees that work there.

I work in the industry and go to multiple facilities, and I have to say this is my favorite facility to visit. The staff is so warm and friendly and the environment is beautifully decorated and clean. I would certainly recommend Antebellum for anyone looking for a comfortable assisted living facility!

Antebellum has the best staff they always willing to assist me when caring for the patients.

I attend weekly for a bible study at which many of the guests participate. They are brought in by the assistants and all seem very happy.
The atmosphere is great both with the staff and guests.

When you walk into this facility you are welcomed into an open spaced facility, full of life & light.
The staff are extremely welcoming and helpful and the atmosphere in the place is very uplifted and happy.

I love Antebellum because I have developed great relationships with the residents. This facility because it is different from many others. The residents are very happy because they have [Removed] that focus on their needs which is balancing their activities. The atmosphere here is happy.

Antebellum is one of the more open warm and inviting community. The staff is not only caring and compassionate but takes genuine interest in the overall well-being of the residents. It is not of overwhelming size so the staff is able to be personally involved with the residents as well as their families, would not hesitate to have my parent reside at Antebellum.

I had a great tour with [Removed]today! The community looked and smells great. The residents were very engaged and happy! Memory care ways very nice.

Hello! I am a volunteer at Antebellum, and I come in several times a week to play games with the residents! From what I’ve noticed, the residents are content with the services, there’s always something going on! Many volunteers, friendly staff. This is easily one of the nicest homes I’ve seen, it’s well-kept and very clean.

Love how you have an excellent crew team.
They are always very helpful and attentive.

Review of Antebellum James Burgess - Suwanee, GA

Antebellum is a beautiful and peaceful assisted living facility with a team of administrators, staff and caregivers who truly care for their residents and treat them like family. My husband and I have been very pleased with the care my in-laws have received since moving in from out of state in May 2017. They both settled in easily and seem to really enjoy their.
Carefree new life with Autebellum as their home. The pretty wooded backyard and covered veranda with rocking chairs is wonderfully serene with lots of birds and nature to enjoy. The gorgeous stacked stone fireplace and pretty décor throughout make it an inviting and comfortable home.
The planned activities and outings are varied and fun and they have the BEST events and celebrities for the residents and their families check out the photos on their Facebook page and you will see that they go “all out”. My kids love coming to visit their grandparents here and the staff members know us by name. We have so much peace knowing my in-laws are so well cared for here. I encourage anyone needing additional care for them self or a loved one to visit and see what Antebellum offers. You won’t be disappointed.

My grandmother lives at Antebellum at James Burgess in Suwanee, GA. The facility is well maintained and beautiful. My grandmother has been very well taken care of and is happy with the care she is receiving. The staff are always friendly and helpful to both the residents and visitors.

Excellent staff at all levels. They will do anything to help my mother.
She has adjusted well due to the extra care she gets.

The staff is wonderful! Very caring they go above and beyond for their residents.
The residents are wonderful and all seem to get along. Very well. It really does feel like home.

Antebellum has a very friendly, inviting atmosphere. The staff are always welcoming and willing to help. The residents are happy and seem to get lots of socialization with activities. The facility is always very clean and spacious with common areas for residents to enjoy.

My husband has been in the facility for 1 ½ years. I am very pleased with his care.
The staff is very accommodating and friendly.
The facility is very clean and well kept.

Being relatively new to this environment (3 months) I am still studying aspect of the way things work. As days go by so do my opinion on certain things, but one thing is clear. Antebellum is an extended family, or trying darn hard to be one. Each employee has respect for fellow staff and try to work together. Residents appreciate this attitude and attempt to do the same. It’s never perfect, but always moving forward.

Very concerned, compassionate staff.

I have lived in two other assisted living facilities and none of the other places had the amount and quality of entertainment and activities as the Antebellum. The management here is much more personable and feel at home. Meals hear are better than most as well.

Staff is real friendly, great service, everything is tip top.

My mother moved in December. We have been very pleased with her care. She is well taken care of. They notify me if anything needs to be done. We would refer anyone needing this kind of care to Antebellum James Burgess.

I was searching for an assisted living facility to make my new home and a friend highly recommended this place. The minute I walked in the door I was so impressed with the cleanliness and openness of the common areas. Immediately I wanted to see the rest of the facility especially the rooms. I decided to stay here.

I am an RN and my view of care and assistance is a little different. Everyone here is very caring and helps any way they can. This is the best assist. Care facility I have ever seen. We who live here are treated like family. This type of support makes it much easier to go through getting better. Each staff member is very competent in their jobs. I really cannot find anything to complain about.

It’s a great place for your love ones. The community very clean and up keep is great. The staff is great. They are very good to patients. They have a lot of activities and get the people out to go shopping. I think it’s a great place.

My grandmother is so happy, she is like her old self. Happy and outgoing. She loves visiting with her new friends.

The staff is friendly. Beautiful views. I love the ladies I dine with.

I love everybody. I love my new home. I love [Removed], she is my pal.

It’s a beautiful place. I like the ladies. I sit with for my meals.

Outstanding help and food and activities. Have made many friends. Would highly recommend.

I like the people, the staff is friendly and loving. My room is beautiful. The food is good. I have made many new friends and love my new home.

Must see!

I toured the faculty and just fell in love with it! It's warm and inviting and the staff couldn't have been more informative and nice!

Mother In Law Doing Well In This Community

My mother in law is doing pretty well since her move to this community. This nice, safe facility, and I'am pleased with all they have done for us. They have a nice staff, and they are kind, and have been very helpful whenever needed. They do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. Everything is working out well for my mother in law in this community, and I would recommend it.

Just ok

Poor food-often cold. Middle school type food offerings. Too much starches, not enough fruit or veggies. Activities are ok, not much variety. They do outside trips which is good. Not the best place for your loved one, not the worse. Really for residents that don't require much care. Mostly reminders and meds. If your loved one requires any real care, keep looking. They do the very bare minimum. Don't believe what the brochure says. Not enough staff. Waits for help can be very long. Sometimes the hallways smell.

Shelley Hamner

We are very sorry to hear of these issues that you have with some of our services! We always welcome feedback and want to hear about how we can do better. Please feel free to bring any concern directly to our Executive Director who would be happy to listen to you. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Antebellum is a wonderful, beautiful community. My mother moved in April of 2017. She was welcomed into her new home with love and was treated as family. Everyone from top level on down loves her and treats her with respect. The activity directors always have activities to keep the residents busy and engaged. [Removed] is wonderful, preparing healthy and delicious meals, always taking time to talk with the residents. There are beautiful back porches with rocking chairs, but my mother likes to sit out front and watch cars, so they bought a bench and placed it out front for her to enjoy. I have peace of mind knowing she is loved and cared for while I work.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience about your mother! We are thrilled that you chose our beautiful community as her home. We will continue to work hard to take care of your mother and exceed your expectations!

Beautiful Community

My grandparents are doing pretty well since their move to this community. So far everything is working out well. The only issue we have come across, is my grandmother tends to get a bit bored. However that is only because she lives with my grandfather in the memory care portion of the community. He is receiving good care, and for the most part I'am satisfied. I will say they serve the best fired chicken I have ever had, the meals are delicious. I know they are safe, and this is a community I would recommend.

Shelley Hamner

We are so glad that your grandparents are our residents! We are glad and agree that the fried chicken is delicious! Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We will continue to work hard to make your grandparents happy!

A pretty new community.

The staff are very accommodating and do everything they can to take good care of mom. There is a good variety of food and they are also accommodating when it comes to the different residents needs. They offer a lot of good activities. The community is clean and it is in a good price range for us. I would recommend this community for a more active person.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful community. We are so glad that your mom is happy and enoying her new home! It is an honor to have her live with us.

No there, there

Very showy with the holidays. Epic failure with the day to day care.
Lots of flourish and big productions for Mother's day, Christmas, memorial day, etc. Great decorations. But the day to day, is not very good.
The choices out there are limited and they take people other facilities might not but they are not patient centered. Not enough staff. Management is not affective, Activities are juvenile.

Shelley Hamner

We are sorry that you feel this way about our community. We have an open-door philosophy and would welcome you to reach out to our Executive Director to discuss your concerns in detail or call our home office at [removed].

I can't say enough positive things about this community

At this community , I was so impressed by the relationships formed with the staff and the residents as well as the communication between the staff , family, and residents . When you Walk in the door you feel the connection between the residents and staff . The staff is very knowledgeable, work well together to promote independence of the residents and well as increased care as the residents needs change. The building and rooms are spacious and clean. The food smells and looks amazing. They have well planned activities in the community and days trip outside of the community. The staff is always welcoming and friendly with the management always having an open door. If I had an aging parent they would be my first choice of an assisted living . I just can't say enough good things about this community.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your wonderful experience at our community! We are glad that we have exceeded your expectations!

Next best place to home.
Facility well planned and staff exceptionally friendly and knows everyone by name.
Excellent activities daily, fine dining and service.
A well run facility.
Amazing special menus dinner/lunch.
Amazing special events and holidays etc.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you so much for your kind words about our community. We are honored to be able to take care of your loved one. Keep the feedback coming!

Low marks

Not assisted living, more like independent living . If you like peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, crabby cooks, smelly hallways,, bad management who manage by fear of throwing your loved one out, and limited activities-check them out. Pretty place, not good resident care. Spoke to people in and out of the senior living business and this place gets low marks. Do your homework, don't believe the hype and flowery,sales pitches.

Shelley Hamner

We are sorry that you feel this way about our beautiful new community. We are very proud of our comprehensive dining program which offers several hot options each and every mealtime. If a resident loves peanut butter sandwiches, they certainly can have as many as they like too! Please feel free to bring you concerns to our Executive Director or any of our managers who would be happy to meet with you.

This place turned out to be the best fit for what we were looking for. Good price and nice place.

Peaceful, cheerful and relaxing atmosphere

Having experience with just one other assisted living community, Antebellum James Burgess has impressed me with the happiness of their staff and the respect shown throughout the facility. Everyone seems to truly have the residents' best interests in mind. What was striking to our family was that the employees seem so relaxed and happy. This is a new facility and the building is open with high ceilings. Its' quiet and peaceful everytime I visit. Residents are free to live their lives without interference by numerous rules. It is a relaxed atmosphere and I am shocked and relieved by how well my mother has adjusted. I could not be happier so far and would recommend Antebellum James Burgess if it fits your loved one's needs.

They are also very pet friendly. It seems like hanging out at someone's home.

To pricy!

This community was exceptional and the staff was very accommodating and nice. The community was clean and neat and we really liked it. I guess with all that, that is why it was so pricy. The residents that were out looked happy.

If you are looking for a community that ignores your loves ones, has too few staff members, allows residents and their beds to be wet all day, serves cold middles school cafeteria food, has juvenile activities, has little compassion for those they are paid to serve, but gives great tours and can give a heck of a sales pitch, this is the place for you.

Just too far!

This community was very nice. The tour went well and we got to see everything. The staff was very helpful and they answered all of our questions. The residents were out and doing things in the community. We just decided that this was too far of a commute for us.

The place is ok, they have lots of room to grow and get better. I don't agree completely with the comments below that the place is safe. There is never anyone at the front desk at night or on the weekend and I worry strangers can walk in and around with no one stopping them. My mom likes it well enough but I am worried that if her condition gets worse, the facility won't be able to accommodate her because of the set up, no walk in showers, no automatic doors. How do you age in place in a facility that is not set up for you to age in place. Food is not as good as it was when we moved in. I think people should give there options here without being ridiculed or lectured. This is a hard decision so never stop listening to what people say, no one knows who is guilty or not. You are not placing a plant you are placing someone you love. This is the hardest decision we have ever made. I never post but I had to. Not nice to attack people for their comments. This place is are very short staffed. Especially on the weekends. That also worries me. There is a nice young girl named [Removed] who is good with activities and she talks to the residents.

Is it a complaint or is it your own guilt?

I am very shocked to read some of the reviews I am seeing online. I have been very pleased with the care and attention the staff and management have given my mother. Are they perfect? No but are you? I find it interesting that anytime I have had a question or concern to bring up, the team at Antebellum has been quick to address any concern. I have met the owner and his assistant and feel they are more than willing to ensure my mother is well cared for and happy. I find it hard to believe that if a family brought it to their attention that they would not make an effort to correct it, I have always found them to be caring and honest. I think the real issue people are struggling with is their own guilt. We all have it and I get it but if you think you can do it so much better, stop the complaining and take your parent home. The group of us that are happy are sick of hearing it.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Antebellum James Burgess. We strive to make a loving home for our residents and are committed to providing the best care possible. Please don't hesitate to let us know how we may continue to improve.

We were here when the doors opened. Sadly the comments below are true. This place is constantly in flux. They are always losing good cooks, good staff, good nurses. Management acts as if they are doing us a favor, taking our hard earned dollars and housing our loved ones. Not to be nasty, but the mindset should be that they work with and for us to care for our loved ones, not the other way around. This place houses seniors, they don't care for them. The owners sneak in and out of the building without talking to the residents and their families about their concerns. They don't want to get their hands dirty trying to improve things. With the right management and mindset, this place could be wonderful. When corporate types with no experience run places like this, care, service, food, staff and mostly residents suffer. Until someone who actually cares about the residents takes a hard look at this place and what is wrong, they will continue to fall short.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for your response. We realize that although we strive to deliver the utmost quality of life for each resident, they and their family members each have different perceptions, likes, dislikes, and preferences. Communication is key, and we encourage all residents and their family members to connect with the leadership team often, participate in care conferences, as well as participate in the fabulous parties, socials, and outings on the calendar at Antebellum James Burgess. As we have been training our new Executive Director, a Corporate liaison has been on site at the community for the last 6 months, we are always accessible and encourage you to speak to the Executive Director or us at any time. We hope that we may be able to help alleviate some of your concerns, however we also realize that we may not always be the best solution for every family. It is important to us that you feel confident in the care being provided to your loved one. We encourage you to speak with us directly about your specific concern.

When we got here, the food was great. There were issues with limited staffing but that was being worked on. The management was actually interested in improving things and helped out when there was not enough staff. Several months later, the food is awful, management has changed hands and they are not interested in improving things and good CNAs are leaving. The local representative says below that we should speak to the executive director. WE HAVE and other families have and he is not interested in our concerns or the decline in service or the fact they NEVER EVER have enough staff or the half a dozen other complaints we have. The owners have to know things are bad but they are not interested in meeting with the families. They come into the building and you never know they are here. They dare not meet with the families because we have an ear full for them. Our loved ones deserve so much better than they are getting.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for your response. We realize that although we strive to deliver the utmost quality of life for each resident, they and their family members each have different perceptions, likes, dislikes, and preferences. Communication is key, and we encourage all residents and their family members to connect with the leadership team often, participate in care conferences, as well as participate in the fabulous parties, socials, and outings on the calendar at Antebellum James Burgess. As we have been training our new Executive Director, a Corporate liaison has been on site at the community for the last 6 months, we are always accessible and encourage you to speak to the Executive Director at any time. Additionally, our staffing ratio is equivalent to other Assisted Living communities, as the staffing ratio is governed by the State of Georgia for compliance. We completed two of our state inspections this week, and were found to be in full compliance with all guidelines of Assisted Living. We hope that we may be able to help alleviate some of your concerns, however we also realize that we may not always be the best solution for every family. It is important to us that you feel confident in the care being provided to your loved one. We encourage you to speak with our Executive Director as soon as possible to discuss your concerns.

Not great

They try but they miss the mark in the area of care. They are focused on the busy work and not the residents. There are a few really special CNAS but they are all to busy setting up the dining room and doing laundry to relate, socialize and learn the residents. They have lost some really great CNAS which is a loss to the community and the residents. Residents are leaving and are looking to leave because of the care and unintentional neglect. There are not enough CNAs to provide good care. Management is not focused on the residents needs and instead are quick to say what they can't do. I will say the community is a safe environment. There is a feeling of trust in the hallways. Residents sleep with their doors open and there are cameras in the common areas to ensure safety. The place is nice but has a cold feel, not sure why. The activities are not age appropriate. Old doesn't mean childlike. Not enough attention is given to socialization and resident enrichment. I don't think anyone in management and activities knows how nor is it a priority. It takes a special mindset to care, enrich and house seniors in a way that brings joy, contentment and stimulation. Antebellum doesn't have a clue on how to do this. You have to see the importance of it before you can implement it. I don't think they even know it is missing.

Christina Trentham

We are very sorry that your experience with Antebellum James Burgess has been unsatisfactory. We would like the opportunity to discuss with you any specific concerns you have. We strive to extend loving, and compassionate care to all of our residents. Please contact us as soon as possible so that we may address your concerns.

Titanic

Two words--The Titanic.

Care and management is so bad, several families are looking to move sooner than later. This place does not have their act together and it doesn't seem like the problems will be fixed any time soon. Not enough staff.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We would like to have some specific information regarding your concerns to validate them. We feel that some of these matters could easily be remediated once brought to our attention. In addition to your post, we hope and highly encourage that you have also taken the time to present these concerns to the Executive Director. We feel communication is key, and we are unaware of a complaint or problem of this nature. It is an honor to call your loved one our resident, and we are committed to ensuring your satisfaction. Please contact us directly at your earliest convenience at [removed].

Another one bites the dust

Another management shakeup. 3rd one since they opened in April of this year. Not enough staff , longggggggg wait times for your loved one and you dare not express your concerns for fear they toss your loved one (have seen this first hand) out on their ear. Instead of getting more CNAs, their new strategy is to say that your loved one requires too much help and has to go. This place has such potential but it very badly run which is a shame because their CNAs are great. Management, not so much.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for your response. It is helpful for our team to analyze our resident and family member's opinions and thoughts about their individual experiences at Antebellum James Burgess. We care deeply for our residents and consider it a privilege to be given the honor of caring for them. We realize that although we strive to deliver the utmost quality of life for each resident, they and their family members each have different perceptions, likes, dislikes, and preferences. Although our primary focus is on resident care, occasionally team members decide to transition to other locations or career choices. Unfortunately we cannot prevent this from occurring, however we do share the same goal of consistency for our residents.

Just what she needed!

Everything is great at this community. They have done a very good job with my loved one. The staff is really caring and helpful with my loved one. My loved one really loves this community!

Christina Trentham

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We are honored to have the opportunity to love and care for our residents. We are very proud of our community and welcome you to come back anytime!

Grade F

I have been reading the reviews below and it shouldn't matter if the location is good or the staff is friendly or the food is fresh or the activities are swell. What matters is the care and the swiftness of the response to the residents and in that area, Antebellum and the management fail. Residents are kept waiting too long and they are not attended to quickly. I see residents wet for hours before someone comes to care for them. Bottom line is they don't have enough people working, day or night and until this changes, this community gets an F. Grossly understaffed. We have been here from the beginning. They opened to early.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for your response. It is helpful for our team to analyze our resident and family member's opinions and thoughts about their individual experiences at Antebellum James Burgess. We care deeply for our residents and consider it a privilege to be given the honor of caring for them. We realize that although we strive to deliver the utmost quality of life for each resident, they and their family members each have different perceptions, likes, dislikes, and preferences. Communication is key, and we encourage all residents and their family members to connect with the leadership team often, participate in care conferences, as well as participate in the fabulous parties, socials, and outings on the calendar at Antebellum James Burgess. Additionally, I would like to say that our staffing ratio is equivalent to other Assisted Living communities, as the staffing ratio is governed by the State for compliance. We understand that occasionally an unexpected emergency with a resident, may delay a response time, and for this we do apologize.

Great place-more trained staff needed pronto

They have to get more experienced staff. The wait times are to long and the excuses are getting to be unacceptable. If you know about the long wait times, address it, fix it and monitor it. Wellness Nurse in charge seems somewhat disconnected and cold. Medication management is very expensive. The place, the rooms, the location, the grounds, the covered patio, the food, the residents and the executive director ,[Removed] are all great. The activities could use some work but that will come. No bus to transport residents around to doctors appointments but that may come toward the end of the year. Residents need varying degrees of care and they need staff to provide timely responses. More accessible rooms needed, especially if people are going to age in place. Biggest issue with this place is the urgent need for more staff, pronto!!!! I would recommend this place, once more staff is hired.

Ask questions but good place to consider

There are very few handicapped rooms here. With so many people in wheelchairs, they should have more rooms with roll in showers. Quick to point out the state only requires them to have X amount of handicapped accessible rooms. Inflexible when asked to convert more rooms into accessible rooms. More staff needed as there are often long wait times for help. Management seem to just repeat the corporate tag line. Much more emphasis needed on the residents and their needs. It is after all about the residents. I wouldn't discount this place when looking for a place for your loved ones. Ask a lot of questions and really drill them on what you should expect around care. Get their commitment to you in writing. While it doesn't sound like it, I like this place for my loved one. This place is beautiful and well maintained. Residents seem happy. Food is tasty although more veggies are needed. Inflexible there too.

Lots of potential but more work needed

Jury is still out. Lots of potential here. Food, environment, location are all good. They are very understaffed and very quick to point out state guidelines instead of focusing on the right number of staff needed to provide good basic care. They are suppose to check on the residents every 2 hours but that rarely happens. Most of the staff really care--a few are taking up space. Management tries to force the residents into their structure instead of creating a structure that caterers to the residents. Medication management costs are ridicules and are way too high. They don't seem open to suggestions. Almost defensive when confronted. More staff and more flexibility to residents needs and this place would be first rate.

This community will be even better in a few years!!

Antebellum James Burgess is a brand new super clean and beautiful community. The director is so sweet, she took time to talk to us and show us around. This is a quiet community due to they have just opened and do not have a lot of residents yet. We were looking for a more fast paced community for my dad.

A Terrific Community

I highly recommend this community to anyone that needs the help. For the period of time that my dad was there, it was awesome. He enjoyed the place and we enjoyed it too. The staff are professional and they were accommodating.

Potential for a great place but .......

I have my Mother and Father here in a two bedroom apartment. Potential for a great place but currently severely understaffed to the point of Psychological neglect. Yes that is correct. Personal witness of residence waiting more than an hour for assistance. Food is NOT that good, mostly starch, way too salty, vegetables canned and nothing fresh. Mostly Prepackaged foods. No recipes or cooking that I could observe. Not very nutritious for the elderly.

95% of the staff gives good service when they do give service and for the most part are caring and compassionate. Middle management has been very responsive but really do not have the power effect a change. We are currently moving up the chain of command. We will see if we can get anywhere.

The facility is very clean and the staff is very friendly.

The rooms are very nice and very roomy.

It is very new and right now it is understaffed. They could use more help, which I know will come in the future.

The food is good, but there are times when it is cold and you have to ask to have it re-heated.

My husband has been in Memory Care for 2 weeks, so I may be being a little pre--mature with the reviews.

Review of Antebellum James Burgess - Suwanee, GA

Very nice facility with spacious companion rooms. All on one level for easy accessibility of residents