|Room Type||Monthly Range* (CAD)|
$ #,### - #,###
Get Pricing >
Get Pricing >
Get Pricing >
Click Here to Get Pricing: Get Pricing
* Published prices are provided by the providers themselves, not by reviewers. Actual quotes may differ from what is presented based on timing and services required.
Community for care
We toured this assisted living community for care. We liked the staff who were friendly and able to answer the questions we had. The community appearing to be clean and maintained, They offer healthy meals and activities for the residents who want to participate. We would look for a community that had more activities going on with the residents.
Very friendly staff. Location is nice (not in their stomping grounds...). Food was very good (almost too spicy for my mom. Great selection too! Daw tue top floor lounge. It does seem nice. My Dad saw the price after and said nope! It's an eye opener for sure. They are getting a home care (VIHA) nurse coming in tomorrow. Once they get their needs assessed, we will be in a better place to know where to proceed. If it is at home or going into a home, etc. If they can stay in their home I am asking them to consider living close to ke in a condo. It's a thought we gave them this weekend. Major changes but they are kind of realizing that something has to happen.
Douglas House Made Our Decision Easy
Initial contact with the staff at Douglas House was efficient, accommodating and warm. Follow up was timely and sensitive (even generous) to specific needs of my family members. When considering a move to assisted living for yourself or a loved one, I would definitely recommend a personal tour of this residence.
Mom was only at Douglas House for 5 days before she passed. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The building was well maintained and residents seemed to enjoy the services offered them. It was nice that her room was painted and new rugs/drapes were provided before Mom moved in.
I would certainly recommend Douglas House to anyone requiring assistance.
Was this review helpful? 6
From the Office
Victoria is a fairly large city covering 7.52 square miles. With a population of 85,792, this busy, yet quaint metropolitan is the perfect place to call home. It has a great walkscore for residents, four fairly large and accommodating senior housing facilities and several veteran's facility. The weather is comfortable and accommodating to outdoor recreational activities.
- Walkability score: Victoria, BC has a walkscore of 78. Neighborhoods that are the most walkable include Harris Green, Downtown and North Park.
- Average age in the zip: In 2016, the average age of the population is 44.5, but the median age of the population is 42.7. During the summer months, the average daily high temperature is 62 degrees Fahrenheit. During the winter months, the average daily low temperature is 37 degrees Fahrenheit.
- # of senior housing facilities in the zip: There's around 4 senior housing facilities in this zip.
- Average weather info: There are 3.1 dry months and 3.6 wet months. In the summer, Victoria is relatively warm and dry. In every other month, the climate varies from wet to partly cloudy.
- Veteran's facilities in the area: There are several Royal Canadian Legion branches in Victoria, as well as a Veteran's Affairs office.
With a transit score of 62, it is quite easy to get around Victoria, BC. There are quite a few bus routes and taxi companies operating within the city. Getting to and from various destination is quite simple, and many transportation services offer senior discounts.
- Transit score: With a transit score of 62, Victoria has fairly good public transportation.
- Buses/ Ferries: BC Transit runs the buses, as well as the ferries that go on and off the island to the mainland of Vancouver, BC. The Victoria Regional Transit System has 260 buses, 37 conventional routes and 18 community bus routes. Seniors can purchase monthly passes at discounted rates.
- Trains: There is a scenic route available. The Malahat rail tour is a sightseeing trip from Victoria to Courtenay. The entire journey takes about four and a half hours.
- Taxis: There are approximately 14 taxi companies in Victoria, BC. The most popular companies being Yellow Cab of Victoria, Victoria Taxi and Uptown Taxi.
- Ride shares: Large-scale ridesharing services are not available, but there are many websites that offer an opportunity to find ride shares.
Health and Safety
As one of the safest cities in Canada, the crime rate in Victoria is a fairly low. There are two general hospitals in the city although there are some smaller private hospitals and clinics available as well.
- Hospitals in the area: There are two general hospitals. They include the Royal Jubilee Hospital and Victoria General Hospital.
- Crime rate in the zip: The crime index of Victoria is 32.74 and the safety index is 67.27.
Sports and Leisure
As far as staying active goes, residents in Victoria, BC will have no trouble at all finding activities that will keep them active. Numerous tennis courts, golf courses and gyms are located all over the city. Most of these recreational facilities are available to the public at no cost at all.
- Golf courses near by: There are three fairly large golf courses around. They include Cedar Hill Golf Course, Gorge Vale Golf Club and VIctoria Golf Club. Smaller public golf courses include Mount Douglas Golf Course, Highland Pacific Golf, Cordova Bay Golf Course and Olympic View Golf Course. Many of these golf courses offer senior discounts.
- Tennis courts/clubs near by: There are eight public tennis courts. They are located in Banfield Park, Barnard Park, Beacon Hill Park, Central Park, Hollywood Park, Oaklands Park, Stadacona Park and Todd Park. There are four courts in Oakland Park, three in Todd Park and Beacon Hill Park and two in every other one.
- Gyms near by - senior friendly (aerobics): There are plenty of gyms scattered throughout the city that offer senior-friendly activities and classes. Popular options include Steve Nash Fitness World, Studio 4 Athletics and GoodLife FItness Center.
Shopping and Entertainment
Indulge in all of the shopping, entertainment and recreational activities that Victoria, BC has to offer. There are plenty of shopping malls, restaurants, movie theaters, libraries and other attractions in this city. The city also hosts many events throughout the year. There's always plenty of things to do.
- Clothes Shopping nearby: Popular options include The Bay Center, Mayfair Shopping Center and Uptown.
- Grocery stores: Fairway Market Quadra Village, Fisgard Market Ltd., and Country Grocer are all wonderful options. Some grocery stores, like Thrifty Foods, offer delivery services that can accommodate seniors.
- Other restaurants: There are plenty of delicious restaurants in Victoria. Pagliacci's and Il Terrazzo are both known for their excellent Italian cuisines, and the Red FIsh Blue Fish serves fresh seafood. AURA Waterfront Restaurant and Patio offers a beautiful scenic waterfront view with each meal.
- Movie theaters: There are several movie theaters in the city. Popular options include IMAX, Capitol 6 Theatres and Cineplex Odeon Victoria Cinemas. Many of these theatres, like IMAX, offer senior discounts.
- Libraries: Bookworms will rejoice in the numerous libraries. The larger public libraries include Greater Victoria Public Library, which has several branches, and the Emily Carr Branch Library. There are also specialized libraries with research material. The William C. Learns Center for Learning is a prime example. The VIctoria Courthouse Library houses a vast amount of legal literature pieces.
- Attractions: Take a walk in Butchart Gardens, a famous botanical garden, or learn more about the nation's history at the Royal British Columbia Museum. Craigdarroch Castle is also a popular tourist attraction. Join a tour to get a good view of this beautiful historic Victorian mansion. Plenty of tours go around the city.
Residents of all faiths will find a place of worship in Victoria. This city accommodates all religions. It's also easy to find sermons and prayer groups.
- Religious facilities nearby: Popular churches include Fairfield United Church, Westshore Alliance Church and the Church of Truth. There's also the Punjabi Akali Sikh Temple and the Bodhichitta Buddhist Center.