Amenida Seniors Community - Surrey, BC

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Review of Amenida Seniors Community - Surrey, BC

We toured this retirement community. We found it quite rundown and the people living there didnt seem that happy. Passing on this one.

Amenida comments

Although I know that my father is well taken care of in terms of having regular meals and company, there are some ongoing issues that are a concern for us.
1) quality of the food is low; High carbs including rice at many, many meals. Plenty of canned foods - veg & fruit ie 'fruit cocktail' not very much 'fresh' food. Many of the foods are processed so the diet is rather high in sodium and nitrates.

2) I feel as though they are understaffed - there are plenty of care aids but after 7 in the evening you can't find anyone.

3) The activities for the residence are almost 'non-existent' for more 'able-bodied' residents. At Easter time my 88 year old father made a picture frame out of glue, popsicle sticks, tiny pompons and glitter!!!
My dad can't get out for a daily walk because there is nobody to accompany him. He has 'left' the building more than once and actually gone missing in the city! When he went missing the 1st time, the staff didn't even know he had left the building until the end of day when a family member came by after dinner, for a visit!!

4) Security is poor and the cameras have been shut off - to preserve energy?? - so when we needed to view tapes to see when Dad left the building.....there was no footage.

5) The staff who are there Really care about the residents and they work very hard. I feel though, that there needs to be a presence at the front desk in the evening....say until 9pm. After 7 or so, you have to make a phone call to have a staff member come to the front desk. I think that there should be someone there at all times....that would also lessen the risk of a resident leaving without being noticed. As I've said - my father has left the building numerous times and become Lost! He has been brought home by the RCMP, caring neighbours and passersby....one day we may not be so fortunate!

6) There is no 'walking' program other than the one where the residents walk Inside the building. When they go outside - the residents are PICKING UP GARBAGE outside!!! My dad is Not happy with that but he is too polite to say 'No'. It ticks me off that the only 'walking' outside that he can do is when he helps to pick up trash!!!
He's paying $2300 for THAT?!?