Winterberry Heights Assisted Living - Bangor, ME

Toured, seemed very nice!

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. I also have some friends who live here that seem very happy with it! We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

Excellent Community

My parents are stlll adjusting to the community and that is taking some time and that is expected from them. This community is an excellent place to move you loved one too, the staff here is excellent and do all they can do to help you loved one. I couldn't have asked for a better place to move my parents to, they are going to have to move into a community that offers more memory care. I would recommend this community to a someone who loved one isn't has far into their dementia as my parent are. It is a great place and I was very pleased with them.

Winterberry is all it appears to be. Very modern, clean and light-filled. The staff is very kind and warm with everyone. I would recommend it for anyone.

Good Food, Good Care

All I can really say about the Winterberry Heights Assisted Living facility is that their dining services has really great food for the residents. Also they provide good care too. I do not have any improvements for them.

Wonderful facility with warm caring staff!

My family has found that Winterberry Heights has been an excellent choice for my mother. The cleanliness and beauty of the facility make it a truly enjoyable home for my mother and a pleasant place for us to visit her. The staff are always professional, friendly, and warm. They truly care about the residents. The dining facilities are wonderful; it is an advantage that families can purchase meals there and eat with the residents. The restaurant-like atmosphere is wonderful and the food is excellent. This is not your typical institutional type food--it is well prepared and tasty and offers options that will please anyone. Often I try to visit my mother during lunch or dinner so we can enjoy a nice meal together without the stress of having to take her out to eat which can be difficult due to her mobility issues.
Winterberry Heights has been able to adjust her level of care to accommodate her needs when she has been feeling under the weather or going through challenging times. They willingly and easily adjust to meet the level of independence for the resident at any time.
The warmth and friendliness of the staff is reflected in the residents who are also very warm and welcoming. I believe this is due to the role modeling of the staff and the happiness of people living there. Every time I visit I feel like I am making new friends as everyone goes out of their way to say hello.
Although my mother is not one for organized activities, she has been willing to try some of the varied activities at Winterberry and surprisingly found out how much she liked them. The variety of activities and entertainment would please anyone. I enjoy sitting with my mother for the entertainment, especially the musical performances which are excellent.
Before my mother moved to Winterberry Heights, we tried having her live in her own home with support and also having her live in my home with my family. Neither option worked well and I was constantly worried about her while I was at work or away from her. Now I know that she is safe, happy, and well cared for by staff who really do like and care for her. This is such a relief. The price for services is very reasonable and I would recommend this facility to any family.

If you want the truth...

The problem with the facility is what is behind the scenes. Never, EVER, do they have enough staff. Managers are insensitive to employees and care little for staff. How can they care for residents if they don't care for proper staffing? The facility is clean. Food is sub par. Prices are absolutely outrageous for residents, and visitors (they charge you to eat with your family and they charge you if you want to stay overnight). They have horrible communication. Messages are lost, the daytime secretary is rude and so are half of the CNA's. [removed]. As a family member, I am not surprised that there is such a high staff turnover. Three mechanical lifts are used for the entire facility and are not required to be cleaned in between uses. The managing nurse often forgets things like giving important injections, enemas, or wound care (which the Medication Aides cannot do). In the year or so that my loved one has lived in this facility, they have gone through six managers. SIX! In less than two years! The current managers are rude and cold. Do yourselves a favor; if you move a loved one into Winterberry Heights, pay close attention to them or they may not receive the care you are paying for.

Too much money for too little service

There is not enough trained staff. Residents have to wait too long for help. The prices are astronomical. Too much money for too little service. Employees are fired and hired weekly leaving residents with untrained care.

A great place!

The staff is courteous and friendly. The facility is well maintained. There seem to be a variety of activities and my parents appear to like it there.

Deceptive in marketing

They market themselves as "affordable"; however, they refuse to release actual costs without personal interaction with the potential resident. My understanding from three residents is that low-middle to middle income seniors cannot afford the monthly rent. They actually prefer to cater to the upper income senior.

My Mother loves it there!!!!!

We just placed my mother in a 1 bedroom apartment in Winterberry Heights and it is beautiful. Everything is bright, cheery, clean. The staff is so helpful and friendly, they go out of their way to assist my mother's transition. Director Claudine MacNamara has been so empathetic, kind, understanding and helpful with our entire family. I can't get over what a lovely place this is.....my husband and I are ready to move in when the time comes! A+++++

Placement of My Mother

Our advisor Elaine Warner from "A Place for Mom" was an extremely knowledgeable, kind, understanding, always there for questions and answers. She connected with Winterberry Heights numerous times when I didn't want to 'bug' them about my mother's placement. It felt good knowing that I could call her anytime just to vent if need be. She is incredible!!!!

Winterberry Heights is beyond beautiful; bright, clean, open atmosphere, beautiful furnishings in the main room. Mom's one bedroom is large, clean and gorgeous and the staff and residents are wonderful. I know once Mom gets acclimated she will love it there.

The facility is beautiful, but the level of care doesn't match the facility.

The facility is beautiful, but the level of care doesn't match the facility. They have had a huge staff turnover. There have been a lot of problems with communication, and things that they said would be available, not being available. Everyone is friendly for the most part, but there are some professionalism issues. Especially with the med tech, and pitting the family against the resident. Saying your family member wants you to do this. You have to be right on top of it at all times. Services are not happening when they are supposed to. The food is fair, I have heard other places are better, the chicken can be quite dry and the food is tough to cut, there isn't a lot of variety, and the portions are small. The activities happen a lot but they are not good at connecting and getting the residents involved, I have been disappointed with that. There is a real difficulty with the medical care, information doesn't get through, there is a huge breakdown and a lot of dropped balls.

I'm very happy with Winterberry Heights!

I'm very happy with Winterberry Heights! I wish the price was a little lower, but we are very happy with it! My loved one is happy with the food and the meals are adequate for the residents. We really like that it's a new and clean building with a very nice atmosphere! The people are very nice, and there's just a very good atmosphere when you walk in! We are very pleased!

Winterberry Heights Bangor, Maine

Great place, friendly staff

My father did well.

My father did very well there. We liked the community.

Great Place

This is a wonderful place first class all the way.

Bright and Cheery!

My mother was there for 4 years. She was very happy there. She was the first person in the memory care wing when it opened and everything was perfectly fine because she didn't have any kind of nursing needs to speak of. She just needed the supervisory enviroment. She loved the idea of having her own bathroom in her room. It was brand new and sparkly clean. Her room looked out on to the quadrangle with gardens and walkways. It was very attractive, bright, and cheery. Everything was just fine until she fell and had to go to nursing care. Also, towards the end of her stay there there began to be turnover in the staff that caused a massive breakdown in the continuity of care.

Dad thought it was very nice but to "...

Dad thought it was very nice but to "high class" for him. Out of his class he said.

Winterberry Heights Assisted Living features 78 well designed studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom retirement and assisted living apartments. We also offer a dedicated wing with 14 apartments designed to accommodate residents with memory care needs. This wing, which has a separate entrance, is located in a well appointed, secure portion of the community.

We are pleased to provide senior community living without any long-term buy-in programs. An affordable monthly rent includes all utilities except personal telephone. Winterberry Heights Assisted Living combines the security and care seniors need with the independence they cherish.

Amenities include three delicious chef-prepared meals each day served in our gracious dining room, caring staff on site day and night, emergency pull cords in every suite, bus service, housekeeping and maintenance service.