Willow Gardens - Puyallup, WA

Nice facility, friendly staff, poor food quality

My mom is currently a resident, but she will be moving soon to a new retirement community. The biggest concern is the quality and service of the meals. Many times the food is incorrectly prepared (burned, dried out, etc) and quite often a menu item is gone before they serve all of the residents. An example is one night they were supposed to have steak but, only about half of the residents who requested it were able receive it before they ran out. The rest of them were offered a green salad or cabbage roles. The soup has nothing in it, maybe a few carrots or a few pieces of potatoes. There seems to be a lack of protein with many of the meals. Many times ingredients are substituted in recipes without informing them. The kitchen staff seems to be continually understaffed, meal service takes close to 2 hours. We (the family) have spoken to management several times about the issues with the meals, but nothing seems to be changing. The transportation is reliable, the driver is friendly and they take an excursion once a week to various locations that the residents can suggest. The facility is clean, open and bright and there’s someone to meet you when you come in who can answer your questions. The residents utilize the common areas that are very comfortably furnished. My mom loves her little apartment, she has a great view of the lawn and the greenhouse, but unfortunately the issues with the meals and the lack of management to correct the situation over the last couple of months has prompted us to move her.

We like this community. the staff was nice and able to answer the questions that we had on the care. We liked the staff and cleanliness of the community. They had a lot to offer, but we needed something closer to my husband's transportation needs. We would have liked to have been able to move into this community for care.

A perfect fit!

My mother loves the Willow Gardens. The place is much better than where she was at. The food is excellent and my mother has made a lot of new friends that she sits with during meal time and goes to activities with. They have card bingo which she really likes. It has truly been a good experience for her.

We love this place!

They are doing a awesome job here. My god parents are very pleased and so are we. I used to have my own nursing home and this place is clean and happy. The food is wonderful and they really like it. I like that they offer transportation for the residents. My God parents have gotten involved in the community.

A beautiful place!!

The community feels comfortable. The food is the reason for the lower rating. They do not offer a large variety and it can take upwards of an hour to receive your food. The community is clean. The staff are considerate and treat the residents with respect. Mom loves the nightly bingo and the various outings available. I would recommend this community.

A Good and Caring Place to Live.

Moving to Willow Gardens in Puyallup has been a much improved situation for our mother. In the previous facility she was considered to be in need of "assisted living" because of her need for standby assistance for bathing. Willow Gardens was informed of this need and assured us that independent living would be fine, and her bathing needs could be independently contracted for at a far greater savings than the $800.00/mo. charged for her "Level I" care at the other facility. Though "Level I" could provide other services besides bathing, the bathing was the only service needed.

She has gone from a $4110 1 bedroom to a very comfortable $2834 studio apartment, and is still liking it very much. The minimal assistance that she needs is contracted for, and the charges are only for the actual time used.

After living there for almost two months, she is still talking about how good the food and service is. The best part is that she is quick to tell us about these things without needing to be asked. And she has to tell us about her new found friends and what has been going on since we last talked to her. You would think these are people that she has known all her life.

Moving to Willow Gardens has been one of the better things that has happened for our mother, and I would recommend them to anybody looking for a caring, safe, positive environment for their parent(s).

I liked the rooms especially the balconies. I didn't like the meal setup.

Extremely Pleased

Everything is going very well for my mother and I'm very pleased. A place for mom was great to work and Melissa was amazing as well. She was very responsive and very patient. With in 24 hours she had a list of community's for me and my mother to go see. Willow Gardens has been wonderful. They are caring for her very well. I am extremely pleased with everything they have done for us.

Centralized and offers many of the activities

Two of my sisters and I visited Willow Gardens. It is the best location for us. its centralized and offers many of the activities she likes and Its right across the street from one of my nieces. This was our first tour and we compared every other tour to this one. Our reps Ron and Cheree did an awesome job of informing us about how the retirement centers operate and what to expect. They had read and were able to talk with us about my moms needs. We really liked this place but they are limited on space. The rooms were small and the meals were served at set times which may not work for my mom. Theres always delivery though. Cheree who has just come from Hawaii was in training I think. She called later that evening to thank us for stopping in and to invite my mom to lunch there at the center. We will take our mom back to take a look. We have decided to go with Village Green in Federal Way.

Two of my sisters and I visited Willow Gardens. It is the best location for us. its centralized and offers many of the activities she likes and Its right across the street from one of my nieces. This was our first tour and we compared every other tour to this one. Our reps Ron and Cheree did an awesome job of informing us about how the retirement centers operate and what to expect. They had read and were able to talk with us about my moms needs. We really liked this place but they are limited on space. The rooms were small and the meals were served at set times which may not work for my mom. Theres always delivery though. :-) Cheree who has just come from Hawaii was in training I think. She called later that evening to thank us for stopping in and to invite my mom to lunch there at the center. We will take our mom back to take a look.

Willows sales experience

My mother and father in laws are residents.
First off the Willows is a nice and clean place.
Rooms and food are very good.

Now the problem.

In the beginning I was looking for places. Elected by my wife and her sisters. I went on a tour with Larry and was quoted what the price would be for my inlaws.

The family spent a few months trying to convince the the parents to make the move to a retirement home.
During that time Larry called me several times with different offers. Some of the offers would have saved thousands of dollars. Larry has told others that I called him. Only time I called him was for that first tour.

Anyway the decision was made and the daughters contacted Willows and signed a contract.

I was not there when the transaction occurred but now the prices suddenly jumped up and no discounts. Now the prices equaled to just over their income.

I agree that a contract is a contract but what I saw was some advantage taking place and Willows taking that advantage.

One of the managers yelled at one of the daughters for not using their recommended vendor (another huge charge) for a Veteran's benefit. (Maybe they get a kickback not sure)

I have asked for a review of the costs but that was weeks ago and they have never gotten back with me
[contact information removed]

I would want to live there.

It's really a retirement community. They don't have their own assistance, there is an agency on-site in the building that can provide care at an extra charge. (We did not have a good experience with the Right at Home care service onsite, but they did recommend another service that is working out great!) They have had seven different managers in a year, and the one we interviewed with had only been there 5 days, we liked them. The assistant managers that were brand new, were sent for a two week training, and then never came back, and they have what they call floater managers and it seems like they are there as often as the managers are. Management is really inconsistent. The residents all complain about that. They have strict meal times, and the people complain about the food, it's just food, they will have a lettuce salad with a cucumber with it. If someone wants to come and eat with the resident, it's free. Their mealtimes are set, and you either come or don't and they don't have much choice, if you don't like what they are serving they will give you an alternative, but it's something like a cheese sandwich. The meal servers also have a high turnover. The food is also very salty. The apartments are lovely, and the atmosphere is lovely. The halls have little nooks so you can sit and visit with your friends. They have a lot of little gathering areas, a fireside room and their lobby. It's really homey, it doesn't feel like you are in a hotel. They have lots of activities and crafts, they go to outings. I would be very happy living there. It's a lovely setting, you can go outside and go for a walk within a gated community, and they have a duck pond.

Lovely Possibilities

When searching for a place for my mom we checked out Willow Gardens. They were so friendly and really made Mom feel at home. It was homey, included 3 meals daily in the cost so she would not have had a full kitchen in her apartment, but also no need to cook. Ultimately she chose another place because it was closer to the family when I was out of town, but if that had not worked out, this would have been her choice. We were there during a community celebration and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and we were invited for lunch, but unfortunately had already eaten. Not as elegant as some places, but so charming and friendly.

There was very little training, from the top down...

The food is the biggest issue. They serve a very southern diet, that doesn't sit very well with us here in the northwest. The staff wasn't very engaging, they were more interested in talking to other staff than the residents. There was very little training, from the top down, they just weren't well trained. They were more worried about getting their bonus at the holidays than about taking care of the residents.

I like.

I like.

I really like the layout of the rooms...

I really like the layout of the rooms! Care is CNA & family determines level of care basically. $24/hr $150/12 hr. Can accomodate Dad's swallowing issues. $100 deposit to hold right of 1st refusal.

Built atop 24 acres of beautifully landscaped woods with winding paths and a pond, Willow Gardens provides you with a comfortable setting you’ll be delighted to call home. And we’re just minutes from the South Hill Mall, excellent healthcare and wonderful, year-round activities.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind