Whispering Creek - Sioux City, IA

The best I've seen! Gorgeous common spaces, bright and open.
A good selection of apartments both in independent and assisted living. The menu looked delicious and lots of in house activities planned. The seniors that I met all seemed engaged and happy. [Removed] had lots of suggestions to try to get Mom to consider a visit. Very impressed.

Positive Atmosphere!

My tour of the Whispering Creek went great. The place is very clean and well maintained. Everyone was very nice, it all came down to location.

Outstanding experience!!

Moving in was a good experience. The staff are friendly and so helpful. All are welcoming and give good tips when asked.
The dining room staff and food are excellent. Attending my first Exercise workout was outstanding and I will be there as much as possible. I recommend fully.

Large spacious rooms, could have shown us more examples of the different rooms they offer

A Fine Community

This is a very nice community and my mother is doing very well here. The facility looks good and clean very well-kept. The staff is great they are really friendly and go out their way to help you. They have good activities like bingo, walking trips, games. She really enjoys the food and brother said it taste great. This is a fine community and they are taking good care of my mother.

Nice place, clean, and a lot of activities

Be sure to ask if you are paying for services OFFERED or services PROVIDED.

If you are looking for an apartment and you are completely independent, this is a great choice. If you or your loved one are needing assistance I strongly recommend looking for a facility that is smaller, more intimate and has an experienced staff. My mother-in-law was a resident for 10 months. She has dementia and by definition that means she has a decline in her mental ability severe enough to interfere with daily life. During the 10 months she was only bathed 2 times (her soap and shampoo bottles were almost completely full when she moved out) and she was not given the proper medication dosage even after several meetings with the staff. We would ask her to shower when we visited but we felt it should be their responsibility since she was billed for bathing. After bringing it to their attention several times and pointing out she was being charged the maximum amount but not receiving the services it was explained to us that she has the right to refuse medication and bathing and charging the level 5 care was justified because according to them it can take longer to continue offering the service as it does to actually provide the service. When I mentioned my mother-in-law was malodorous and dishelved and not in any condition for us to take her anywhere because she was usually wearing the same clothes full of dander, I was told I should call ahead if I have something I want to take her to and they will make sure she is cleaned up for that specific day. If you are caring for a loved one with Dementia you know how frustrating the bathing can be and your loved one might be refusing food or medication simply because they don't understand. This is large facility that looks beautiful but the intimate care and attention to detail is lacking. I strongly recommend asking any facility you consider what their plan of action is if these become an issue. There may not be a violation of any code because it is a self-pay assisted living facility and not a nursing home (it's important to know the difference) but when Whispering Creek advertises they are a memory care facility they should be trained on how to handle these issues and provide solutions that work, they should also be staffed with people who truly care about whether or not your loved one is receiving their medication and getting bathed. Caring for a loved one at this stage of their life presents many challenges. I had hoped Whispering Creek staff would be a resource to help with these challenges but they continued direct us to their policy stating the tenant has the right to refuse services, even when it pertains to basic needs. When asked to speak to the billing department, I was told "it's computer generated". Another obstacle in solving a problem when they don't even have a billing department to discuss charges you have in question. I hope this review can help another family so they don't make the same mistakes we made. We assumed bathing and proper medication dosage would be a priority, especially when she was billed for a level 5 care, but they have technicalities on why they don't need to provide those services and when you have an issue you can talk to the Head Nurse or the Director and our experience in talking to them is they both are very defensive and spend more time justifying situations rather than finding solutions.

Mom loves it

Mom loves it at Whispering Creek. She has her own apartment. She was at a place that was like a hospital room before. She now has her own room and can come and go as she pleases. I am very happy with this facility. She says its like living at a country club. My brother said he would live there himself if he could. I couldn't ask for more when it comes to the value. They've got a movie theater there and plenty of activities. I am very pleased.

A Good Place

I'm thinking it is a good place for my mother. The rooms are very nice and spacious. The people are friendly and helpful. The property is cheerful and bright. They could have more inexpensive parking, that was kind of an issue because it is a big property and it's a long way to walk.

food is too fancy

Everybody has been very friendly at Whispering Creek. The facility needs to be able to get more feedback from the residents. I would like to see them be able to give the staff anonymous feedback. Mom is always telling me that the food is not good. It is nice food but almost too fancy. She wants more like meat and potatoes, not as extravagant. Overall it's been a good experience here.

Retirement Community includes Villa Homes, Independent Living Apartments, Assisted Living Apartments, Memory Care Suites and a beautiful Clubhouse.

Whispering Creek Active Retirement Community is located next to the Whispering Overlooking miles of breathtaking golf course views, Whispering Creek Active Creek Golf course at 2609 Nicklaus Blvd. in Sioux City, Iowa. The Whispering Creek Community is just minutes away from shopping, medical offices, banks, hospitals, golf courses and parks.

Our community is designed to provide a beautiful home for our residents, while offering an elegant environment and services needed to maintain an active, quality lifestyle. Our home atmosphere allows residents to enjoy the advantages of retirement living without compromising ones individuality, privacy and choice.

Whispering Creek Active Retirement Community is professionally managed by Dial Senior Management, Inc. (DSMI) located in Omaha, Nebraska. The goal of DSMI is to develop and manage exceptional retirement communities with the highest quality of care, services, and amenities for our residents. Committed to the goal of DSMI, the staff of Whispering Creek strives to provide the highest quality of living and personal attention, while understanding and respecting the residents’ individual dignity and right to personal c